Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Ricardo
fluffy_kittens
Mustangt125
Danny
Carlos Jenkinson
GCU
Cadbury
Theo Filippo
Fanatic
dena
Cornholio
Marvin
Trig
Scuba Steve
Zzonked
Jamie
Barton
Dean
luke.
Cameron.
Sean
25 posters

Ballack vs Gerrard

Poll

The better individual?

[ 11 ]
    Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Bar_left28%Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Bar_right [28%] 
    [ 26 ]
    Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Bar_left65%Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Bar_right [65%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Bar_left7%Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Bar_right [7%] 

Total Votes: 40
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Empty Re: Ballack vs Gerrard

Post by Jamie Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:12 am

Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Danny wrote:When we mention internationals, Ballack's German for fucks sake. Of course he's going to be more "proven" at that level. Germany aren't shite like England are. Neutral

But Gerrard will probably end up with over 100 England caps, around 20-30 England goals. Playing in 2 World Cups, and 1 European Championship (at the moment- could be one more for each but for injury and that night against Croatia at Wembley...).

Just saying, gotta put it into perspective when comparing them at international level.

Managed to squeeze that in on the last post of the previous page, brilliant. NeutralNeutral

There isn't really any point comparing them internationally. Compare them domestically if you want but I think everyone would admit Ballack pisses all over him internationally, no matter what excuse is used. Ballack was Germanys leader, he was a massive part in why they weren't shite. Whereas Gerrard couldn't bring England up a level.
    Playing him out of position doesn't help.

I know, but it's not like he was always played out of position. Just isn't the same player Ballack is internationally. Ballack is a true leader, Gerrard just leads by example.
    What the fuck does that bollox mean. Laughing

It means Gerrard only inspires teams when he plays well, Ballack does it every game he plays.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:13 am

Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

There isn't really any point comparing them internationally. Compare them domestically if you want but I think everyone would admit Ballack pisses all over him internationally, no matter what excuse is used. Ballack was Germanys leader, he was a massive part in why they weren't shite. Whereas Gerrard couldn't bring England up a level.

I know, but it's not like he was always played out of position. Just isn't the same player Ballack is internationally. Ballack is a true leader, Gerrard just leads by example.

It means Gerrard only inspires teams when he plays well, Ballack does it every game he plays.
    It probably does help that Ballack is/was Germany captain..

If you're not inspired by your captain, you're doing something wrong. Laughing
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:13 am

Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Danny wrote:When we mention internationals, Ballack's German for fucks sake. Of course he's going to be more "proven" at that level. Germany aren't shite like England are. Neutral

But Gerrard will probably end up with over 100 England caps, around 20-30 England goals. Playing in 2 World Cups, and 1 European Championship (at the moment- could be one more for each but for injury and that night against Croatia at Wembley...).

Just saying, gotta put it into perspective when comparing them at international level.

Managed to squeeze that in on the last post of the previous page, brilliant. NeutralNeutral

It's one of those Andy Gray clichés.

Like "Johnson is good going forward but terrible at defending" etc.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 am

Danny wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:Playing him out of position doesn't help.

Gerrard was captain when England didn't qualify for the Euros...
    GCU
    GCU

Post by GCU Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 am

i always wondered why in the uk and in england specifically, good technique is smashing a ball from 30 or 40 yards while ball manipulation in tight areas is just "decent feet"

i think thats probably why average players technique wise like gerrard and even lampard to an extent are very much hyped up over there. just an observation. tactically lampard is an absolute mastermind and gerrard is very good physically and speed wise but neither can hold a candle to someone like paul scholes whos better than both of them in most facets. maybe its a traditional thing. i remember back in euro 2004 england shafted scholes out onto the wing to make way for lampard and gerrard and they even went as far as playing heskey over scholes
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 am

Fonseca wrote:
    Danny wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    Danny wrote:One example with Mauro as well. Apparantly Andy Carroll has no technique, and his first Liverpool goal a few weeks later is lashing it into the bottom corner past Joe Hart from 25 yards. Neutral

That's a poor example, hitting it hard doesn't constitute good technique.
    Power, accuracy, placement...

Not the first time he's done it as well. I think saying Carroll has no technique is a load of shite. Neutral

But he hit the ball inbetween the middle and the left post, if it was good technique he would of banged it in the corner

Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 2832545604_3cd9e7c279

A goal is a goal, the ball hit the back of the net before Hart or Reina could dive to the floor.
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 am

Danny wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

facepalm
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:15 am

Danny wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

Wasn't Gerrard captain for England during the Euro 2008 qualifiers, I don't even know but Rooney brings it up so I'm guessing it's true. Neutral
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:15 am

Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

Nah, i've seen enough Chelsea games where he didn't inspire the team.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:16 am

dena wrote:
    Danny wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

Wasn't Gerrard captain for England during the Euro 2008 qualifiers, I don't even know but Rooney brings it up so I'm guessing it's true. Neutral
    He was captain for the Croatia game. That was about it.. Neutral
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:16 am

Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

I disagree, he wasn't at his best at Chelsea imo but he's always been a leader.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:17 am

I didn't think Ballack was much of a leader at Chelsea tbh. Neutral
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:17 am

LFCJordan wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:
    Danny wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    Danny wrote:One example with Mauro as well. Apparantly Andy Carroll has no technique, and his first Liverpool goal a few weeks later is lashing it into the bottom corner past Joe Hart from 25 yards. Neutral

Not the first time he's done it as well. I think saying Carroll has no technique is a load of shite. Neutral

But he hit the ball inbetween the middle and the left post, if it was good technique he would of banged it in the corner

A goal is a goal, the ball hit the back of the net before Hart or Reina could dive to the floor.
    Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 Dokimb

Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 am

Danny wrote:I didn't think Ballack was much of a leader at Chelsea tbh. Neutral

Being a rotation based player and not speaking your dominant language, yeah ok
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:21 am

He wasn't, IMO.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:22 am

Fonseca wrote:

Then why is Shagger saying he inspires/leads the team at Chelsea. Laughing

Last edited by Fanatic on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:22 am

dena wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Dean wrote:You know it's funny, people try to make out English people are 'biased' etc...

Then you have Dena coming in with the typical 'Oh I'm not surprised by this'
    but what did occur was a typical 'i have nothing to say here, but lemme make fun of your nationality' post, in which you responded with a 'rofl rofl'

Neutral
    And forget what Steve posted about "better individuals"?

He was the one who started to put this thread of course so don't give me that crap.

Steve is in this too I never pardoned him from his contribution to the thread, takes two to tangle.

Dean wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Dean wrote:You know it's funny, people try to make out English people are 'biased' etc...

Who did I try to make look like a dick, in saying I wasnt surprised the thread turned this way, I was saying that I wasn't surprised that this thread turned into one in which members would attack each other player allengecies INSTEAD of a real comparison thread in which stats, attributes, and achievements are compared, none of these things occurred until page 3, but what did occur was a typical 'i have nothing to say here, but lemme make fun of your nationality' post, in which you responded with a 'rofl rofl'

I have nothing against English football, what is there to be against in the first place?

Neutral

You can't 'really' compare players by statistics, statistics are one of the most mis-leading things in football and that's why I don't follow them much. Also you can't compare players on achievements either, that's silly and you should know that.

Unfortunately, the best way to compare players, is off knowledge and your personal opinion of the player.

Nah I think that's crap. Stats when used in the proper context generally reflect a player's performance over given time, problem is people don't like use to stats in their proper context ie. someone when making a case for striker x vs. RVP will say, "well, RVP only scored 20 goals this year, my striker scored 35" when in actually, RVP has missed half the year and has a fantastic ratio. Achievements can also be used properly, once again, in context. Having debates based on personal opinion leads to what this thread is. "My player is better" "No he's not" "Yes he is" "No... he's not"
    Neutral

No it's crap Dena, it's one of the most known things in football, stats are overrated, they 'help' and can be used to 'back up', but generally they are mis leading.

Darren Bent over the last five years is one of the top three goalscorers in the Premier League (Drogba and Torres being the other two)

He's in the top three over a five year period in the toughest league in the world, now WHY is he currently at struggling bottom half of the table Aston Villa? Why was he at Sunderland? Why was he at Charlton?

I mean surely those 'stats' suggest he's a top player and should be playing at a top club no?

So no it doesn't give a reflection of how good a player has been over a period of time, because going by that logic, Darren Bent is one of the top strikers in world football. Stats say he is?

Achievements? Seriously how can they be used to reflect a players pure ability? It's nonsense.

Because by including achievements, you have to take into context the team the player was playing for etc... when that should't be done. When you see how good a player is, the team he plays for, how many medals he's got etc... has to go back of the mind and shouldn't be used in determining how good a player is or is not.

You need to judge a player on the pure ability of the player. His strengths, weaknesses, what he can and can't do... what talents he possess' in certain aspects of the game... the list goes on.

Ricardo
    Ricardo

Post by Ricardo Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:22 am

Fonseca wrote:
    LFCJordan wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:
    Danny wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Ballack vs Gerrard - Page 6 70955
    R.e the thread, people are talking as if it's Gerrad vs Kleberson bounce Gerrad was better in my opinion, but slightly.

Last edited by B0dunrin on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 am

Fonseca wrote:
    LFCJordan wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:
    Danny wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

facepalm
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:24 am

Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

Was he the captain?

Anyway, Ballack was like.. 3rd captain, if there was such a thing.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:24 am

Fanatic wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:

Then why is Shagger saying he inspires the team at Chelsea. Laughing

He inspires to a great extent, if you think of the circumstances he was incredibly inspiring. It's not easy to come off the bench into a team full of superstars and take control over regulars even when you find the language hard.

I can't think of many people who could do that
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:25 am

Dean you can't place too much emphasis on stats but to write their importance off is just nonense. Your Darren Bent example...his stats don't show he's a top player but they do show he's a consistent goalscorer and then you can look at his conversion stats for an indication of his finishing ability.

A good mix of subjective and objective measures is always the best way.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:27 am

LFCJordan wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:
    LFCJordan wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:
    Danny wrote:Power, accuracy, placement...

facepalm

Yeah I mean because Carragher dribbled past Ronaldo that must mean he's an amazing dribbler or maybe because Hernandez scores a tap in against one of the best keepers in the world that must mean he's on of the best finishers in the world

Fuck me
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:27 am

Fonseca wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:

He inspires to a great extent, if you think of the circumstances he was incredibly inspiring. It's not easy to come off the bench into a team full of superstars and take control over regulars even when you find the language hard.

That's leading by example, he said Gerrard leads by example whereas Ballack leads regardless.
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:27 am

Fanatic wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:

He actually did inspire the team on some occasions. If you can't remember or didn't see it, then say so. But it did happen.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:28 am

Marvin wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:

He actually did inspire the team on some occasions. If you can't remember or didn't see it, then say so. But it did happen.
    If you mean leading by example then yes, but he certainly huffed and puffed in hi time their.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:29 am

Dean wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    dena wrote:

but what did occur was a typical 'i have nothing to say here, but lemme make fun of your nationality' post, in which you responded with a 'rofl rofl'

Neutral
    And forget what Steve posted about "better individuals"?

He was the one who started to put this thread of course so don't give me that crap.

Steve is in this too I never pardoned him from his contribution to the thread, takes two to tangle.

Dean wrote:
    dena wrote:

Who did I try to make look like a dick, in saying I wasnt surprised the thread turned this way, I was saying that I wasn't surprised that this thread turned into one in which members would attack each other player allengecies INSTEAD of a real comparison thread in which stats, attributes, and achievements are compared, none of these things occurred until page 3, but what did occur was a typical 'i have nothing to say here, but lemme make fun of your nationality' post, in which you responded with a 'rofl rofl'

I have nothing against English football, what is there to be against in the first place?

Neutral

You can't 'really' compare players by statistics, statistics are one of the most mis-leading things in football and that's why I don't follow them much. Also you can't compare players on achievements either, that's silly and you should know that.

Unfortunately, the best way to compare players, is off knowledge and your personal opinion of the player.

Nah I think that's crap. Stats when used in the proper context generally reflect a player's performance over given time, problem is people don't like use to stats in their proper context ie. someone when making a case for striker x vs. RVP will say, "well, RVP only scored 20 goals this year, my striker scored 35" when in actually, RVP has missed half the year and has a fantastic ratio. Achievements can also be used properly, once again, in context. Having debates based on personal opinion leads to what this thread is. "My player is better" "No he's not" "Yes he is" "No... he's not"
    Neutral

No it's crap Dena, it's one of the most known things in football, stats are overrated, they 'help' and can be used to 'back up', but generally they are mis leading.

Darren Bent over the last five years is one of the top three goalscorers in the Premier League (Drogba and Torres being the other two)

He's in the top three over a five year period in the toughest league in the world, now WHY is he currently at struggling bottom half of the table Aston Villa? Why was he at Sunderland? Why was he at Charlton?

I mean surely those 'stats' suggest he's a top player and should be playing at a top club no?

So no it doesn't give a reflection of how good a player has been over a period of time, because going by that logic, Darren Bent is one of the top strikers in world football. Stats say he is?

Achievements? Seriously how can they be used to reflect a players pure ability? It's nonsense.

Because by including achievements, you have to take into context the team the player was playing for etc... when that should't be done. When you see how good a player is, the team he plays for, how many medals he's got etc... has to go back of the mind and shouldn't be used in determining how good a player is or is not.

You need to judge a player on the pure ability of the player. His strengths, weaknesses, what he can and can't do... what talents he possess' in certain aspects of the game... the list goes on.

Hence me using the word context dean. Earlier I said

in which stats, attributes, and achievements are compared

Not stats only, not attributes only, not achievements only. All three used with basic knowledge obtained when viewing a player meshes together to form a proper evaluation of a player, biases aside. I bet there is a player in some lower division who has scored 40 goals this season, does that mean that he's up there with Messi and Ronaldo, the only other two players who have cracked the 40 goal mark in a division this season? No, because when taking everything into context, he's playing vs. inferior competition. Anyone who watched Alfonso Alves in Holland and for Brazil knew he wasnt a top level player and that he would NOT score in England like he did for Holland, apparently Boro didnt do a proper evaluation. But on the contrary, when speaking of Luis Suarez pre his move to England, anyone who saw him play knew he had the intellegence, movement, and technique to play at a higher level. Same thing with Darrent Bent, the stats say he's amongst the best strikers in England over the past few years, but ask anyone with a TV or access to streams and he does not compare to Rooney, Torres (when he was actually good) RVP, or Drogba, because although he has good finishing ability and decent pace, the rest of his game does not match up, hence once again, my use of the word context.

Achievements is a more difficult criteria to go on, only when narrowed down properly to once again, reflect context, can they be used properly, but I do think they can be used effectively.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:31 am

Fanatic wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:

That's leading by example, he said Gerrard leads by example whereas Ballack leads regardless.

Ballack leads in whatever position, he wasn't much of a leader at Chelsea but he still lead the team at any opportunity to a limited extent. Leading by example would be the star/most respected player leading to set that example, Ballack wasn't in either category
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:33 am

Fucking hell this thread has exploded, i can't even be arsed to read all of this shite. Laughing
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:36 am

JMB_94 wrote:Fucking hell this thread has exploded, i can't even be arsed to read all of this shite.

It's an old EA trick.

Put "vs Gerrard" in the thread title and you get approx. 10 pages.

The same goes for "vs Kaka".

Put both of the above in title and you're asking for trouble.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:35 am