Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Dagbon
El_indian
Stranger
Zzonked
Glen Miller
Alan
Scott_LFC
Eriksen
Keyser Söze
SBSP
Vela
15 posters

Could we be better without Gerrard?

Vela
    Vela

Could we be better without Gerrard? Empty Could we be better without Gerrard?

Post by Vela Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 am

First things first, this is not a Gerrard-bashing thread. I love Gerrard. He has provided me with some of the best memories of my life. 

But I am starting to get a little bit concerned.

I would normally post this in the Gerrard thread, but I felt that creating a topic specifically on this subject would fuel more replies and discussion on the matter, as opposed to my post just getting lost in the other thread.

Here are my concerns:

Watching Gerrard these days, he seems to be a step behind everyone else in the match. Too many times have I seen the ball rolling to him/passed to him, only for him to stay static instead of approaching the ball, and thus be intercepted in the process, or for him to control it badly/let it slip under his foot or slip away from him. It is also very rare to see him beat a man, these days and quite often, simple short passes of his are hit inaccurately, thus slowing down our momentum.

Having said all that, he has obviously contributed a lot this season. Scoring a couple of penalties and providing 8 assists, I think it was? That shouldn't be ignored. 

Going into the match against Spurs yesterday, I was actually wondering to myself if we were going to be a lot nippier and sharper with our passing without Gerrard. This proved to be the case. We were exceptional in midfield. Lucas, Allen and Henderson were immense, and I can't help but feel that, if Gerrard was in there instead of Allen, the game wouldn't have panned out in the same way.

I'm just looking for more opinions on this matter. It pains me to say that maybe we should consider dropping Gerrard. 

He is our captain too. It's not easy to just drop your captain. 

What are your thoughts?

If we continue to play extremely well without him, whilst he is injured, should he be allowed to just walk into the team when he's fit again?

Do you think we play better football with or without Gerrard?

(Mods, if you don't like this thread, please either delete it or move the post to the Gerrard thread. Please don't ban me from making topics!)
    SBSP
    SBSP

Could we be better without Gerrard? Empty Re: Could we be better without Gerrard?

Post by SBSP Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 am

Whose post did you copy this from?
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Could we be better without Gerrard? Empty Re: Could we be better without Gerrard?

Post by Keyser Söze Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 am

EDL. Done with scum like SBSP.
    Eriksen
    Eriksen

Post by Eriksen Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:32 am

Scott's football knowledge not worthy
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:11 am

We are better without Gerrard scratch He may be starting to put a decent shift in at DM, but compared to the DM's at the other top 7 clubs, he's still woefully out of his depth. It's an area we need to improve on. Gerrard as an all round footballer is past it.

I'd rather we actually had a DM that could break up play instead of letting an attacker waltz through him 9 times out of 10, than have to rely on Gerrard to get us out of the shit (which is usually his fault, to be fair) with his penalties.
    Eriksen
    Eriksen

Post by Eriksen Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:17 pm

9 wins in a row since that liability (Lucas ''can't get ahead of Sandro or Paulinho'' Leiva) left the team, but yes Scott, let's put Gerrard back on the bench  Smile
    Alan
    Alan

Post by Alan Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:54 pm

What the actual fuck are you cunts sniffing?
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Eriksen wrote:9 wins in a row since that liability (Lucas ''can't get ahead of Sandro or Paulinho'' Leiva) left the team, but yes Scott, let's put Gerrard back on the bench  Smile

You think Gerrard is good, then? rofl
    Vela
    Vela

Post by Vela Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm

I was looking for the match preview against the berties on RAWK and I found this gem of a thread on the first page written by a certain "SMacDougall".
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:44 pm

You're acting like Gerrard is actually good.
    Vela
    Vela

Post by Vela Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 pm

One of the best midfielders in Europe he is.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 am

To be fair, our midfield did look best in the matches against Manchester City and Spurs away, both when SGCFYNWA was injured.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:36 am

He is certainly no Lee Cattermole.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 am

Zzonked wrote:He is certainly no Lee Cattermole.
    Lee Cattermole has actually looked like a Premier League player this season.
    Vela
    Vela

Post by Vela Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:50 am

When we find ourselves in times of trouble, Stevie G runs past me,
    Playing the game with wisdom, Stevie G,
    And in my home, the Spion Kop, We watch him jog, right in front of me,
    Spreading balls with wisdom, Stevie G,

Let it be, let it be, let it be,
    Stevie G, The local lad turned hero, Stevie G

And when the jubilant Kopite people, All living in The Park agree,
    That we all know the answer, Stevie G,
    And although we may all be fooled, There is still a chance that we will see,
    The footballing phenomenon, Stevie G,
    Stevie G, Spreading balls with wisdom, Stevie G

And when the night is cloudy, There is still a man that we all see,
    A young, committed Kopite, Stevie G,
    Playing to the sound of music, Stevie G runs past me,
    Let it be, let it be, let it be, Stevie G,
    For we all know the answer, his name is Stevie G
    Eriksen
    Eriksen

Post by Eriksen Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 am

I would smile if Scott was diagnosed with incureable cancer
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:02 am

Eriksen wrote:I would smile if Scott was diagnosed with incureable cancer

I love how much you hate me rofl
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:04 am

Vela wrote:When we find ourselves in times of trouble, Stevie G runs past me,

rofl
    Stranger
    Stranger

Supports : Barcelona, PSG, Bayern

Post by Stranger Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:18 am

Vela wrote:When we find ourselves in times of trouble, Stevie G runs past me,

Laughing Laughing Laughing
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:40 am

I criticized Gerrard earlier this season (I thought we would be better without him too). But in the second half he has he has been top.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:33 pm

El_indian wrote:I criticized Gerrard earlier this season (I thought we would be better without him too). But in the second half he has he has been top.

My opinion hasn't really changed, but even if it had, it doesn't matter, Vela thinks opinions are never allowed to change.
    Vela
    Vela

Post by Vela Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Don't think EDL nazi fascists corporate scum should have opinions in the first place
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:39 am

Scott is right doe, is it a coincidence that when Stephen Gerrard is given a greatly reduced role the team starts to perform?
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:51 am

Thoughts on the match, Zzonked?
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 am

Don't think City deserved to lose after the second half. Didn't start well, Liverpool did, and the team selection was wrong, but it's only easy to say that in hindsight. Milner would have been better than Navas, but before the game it looked like Navas going against Flanagan might have been worth the risk of being less defensive. Obviously it didn't turn out that way, but I can't blame Pellegrini much for that. 

Dzeko was subbed off a little bit too early, should have left it at that point. Don't know where Jovetic was, hope he's not injured again.

Kompany didn't play well at all, whether that's because of the knee injury or not I don't know. It doesn't matter really.

Referee missed a few things that could have helped City out, but that happens from time to time and you just have to legislate for that.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:00 am

If every City fan was like Zzonked I couldn't justify hating them.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:00 am

Fair comments. 

Btw, Silva is so much better than Ozil, it's not even funny.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 am

Silva looked twice the player of Suarez yesterday as well. 

Even when Suarez plays poorly though, he is always involved in the goals somehow.  Cool  If only the same could be said of Studge.  Rolling Eyes
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:06 am

Thought Suarez and Sturridge were poor yesterday. Good to see we can still win big matches with SAS having an off day. 

Sterling and Coutinho were immense.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:07 am

Only criticism of Countinho is that he wasted a few chances in the first half with some shots that went very wide. He did play well though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:19 am