Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Sean
ResurrectionRooney
Free_Mustache_Rides
vel
Ra's al Ghul
FCB
Jordan Henderchip
dena
The Zlatan
Scuba Steve
Theo Filippo
Stranger
Grenade
Glen Miller
Zzonked
Weather130
20 posters

2014/15 UEFA Champions League Thread

Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

2014/15 UEFA Champions League Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: 2014/15 UEFA Champions League Thread

Post by Glen Miller Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Premier League has improved almost too much.
    Free_Mustache_Rides

2014/15 UEFA Champions League Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: 2014/15 UEFA Champions League Thread

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Agreed. Every match is played like a final and it leaves the players too exhausted to be competitive against the rest of Europe's Elite clubs.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:00 am

Glen Miller wrote:Premier League has improved almost too much.
    Laughing
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:31 am

Keyser Söze wrote:I see Neville the bumboy didn't criticise he darling Courtois for the winning PSG goal. Came out and didn't get anywhere near the corner then couldn't backtrack to his goal line in time to save the goal.
    Especially when you consider he did an in-depth analysis of why Mignolet was at fault for Jagielka's goal early in the season. rofl
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:33 am

So because Chelsea drew 3-3 with PSG whereas last season they could only draw 3-3, this means they haven't improved?
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:41 am

PSG played with 10 men for 60 of the 180 minutes. scratch It is embarrassing that Chelsea didn't win comfortably, especially when they went 1-0 ahead with minutes remaining. rofl  Chelsea also reached the semifinals of the competition last season, whereas they only reached the second round this season. Sad
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:50 am

Glen Miller wrote:PSG played with 10 men for 60 of the 180 minutes. scratch

It was actually 90 of the 210 mins but we can't mention that because it doesn't suit RR's narrative.

Edit: Actually I don't understand RRs point at all Laughing Ignoring the massive influence playing with 10 men for almost half the tie can have on a team, Chelsea still only achieved the same result as last season scratch And against basically the exact same PSG side bar Luiz. Chelsea supposedly "improved" by bringing in Fabregas, Costa, Matic and Courtois (all of which could stake a claim for their player of the season) yet managed the exact same result.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:56 am

Yep, you are right, it was NINETY minutes instead of just sixty.  rofl  Away from home as well. rofl  It was their attacking talisman who was sent off as well. rofl In the Round of 16 as well. rofl
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:27 am

Keyser Söze wrote:
    Glen Miller wrote:PSG played with 10 men for 60 of the 180 minutes. scratch

It was actually 90 of the 210 mins but we can't mention that because it doesn't suit RR's narrative.

Edit: Actually I don't understand RRs point at all Laughing Ignoring the massive influence playing with 10 men for almost half the tie can have on a team, Chelsea still only achieved the same result as last season scratch And against basically the exact same PSG side bar Luiz. Chelsea supposedly "improved" by bringing in Fabregas, Costa, Matic and Courtois (all of which could stake a claim for their player of the season) yet managed the exact same result.

The point is that perhaps it's best not to draw conclusions from an extremely small sample of games.  You mention those players brought in - Fabregas and Costa were shit but are still very useful players generally, improving Chelsea without question, and Courtois is not an improvement on Cech, the only benefit Chelsea get from recalling him is a much better reserve goalkeeper.  The idea that they haven't improved because they got the same result against PSG is an utter nonsense.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:18 pm

I may be wrong, but I have gotten the vibes that PSG have struggled slightly this season-they should really be winning Ligue 1 comfortably, yet they are in second.  Chelsea have obviously improved, but the fact remains that they represent the best team the Premier League has to offer by some margin and they couldn't reach the quarterfinals of the CL.  It's hardly an anomaly, either.   City were outclassed at home by Barcelona and Arsenal lost comfortably at home to the 4th placed team in France while Liverpool fell out of an absolute gift of a group.  The Premier League has not improved.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Glen Miller wrote:I may be wrong, but I have gotten the vibes that PSG have struggled slightly this season-they should really be winning Ligue 1 comfortably, yet they are in second.  Chelsea have obviously improved, but the fact remains that they represent the best team the Premier League has to offer by some margin and they couldn't reach the quarterfinals of the CL.  It's hardly an anomaly, either.   City were outclassed at home by Barcelona and Arsenal lost comfortably at home to the 4th placed team in France while Liverpool fell out of an absolute gift of a group.  The Premier League has not improved.
    If Chelsea have, to quote you, obviously improved then I don't know why you'd bring it up in this context.  The only point I could possibly see that you would be making from that would be to say that Chelsea haven't improved and are only leading the league due to it being weaker.

City were outclassed to pretty much the exact same degree as they were last season despite Barcelona strengthening, Arsenal were an anomaly, that sort of thing happens in football, and as for Liverpool crashing out at the group stages, what did you seriously expect when the team who've kept England's coefficient respectable for decades don't participate?  There was always going to be a drop in English teams' performance and that particular instance has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality this year.  On the bright side both Chelsea and Mourinho completed their first ever undefeated full campaigns in the Champions League so well done to them.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:15 am

I should have said that they have only improved relative to other English teams, which doesn't take much doing when the majority of the other contenders declined fairly substantially.  But you really need to stop pushing the myth that they got the same result.  One result kept them in the tournament and sparked mass celebrations on the field, the other result left the fans suicidal and the manager in meltdown.
    Sean

Post by Sean Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 am

So are you saying that because of two knockout ties the French league is a better league than the Premier League? I think the fact that PSG and Monaco have done so poor in the league only to win against Chelsea and Monaco show that it can be misleading to read too much into a knockout tie.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:45 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:

The point is that perhaps it's best not to draw conclusions from an extremely small sample of games.  You mention those players brought in - Fabregas and Costa were shit but are still very useful players generally, improving Chelsea without question, and Courtois is not an improvement on Cech, the only benefit Chelsea get from recalling him is a much better reserve goalkeeper.  The idea that they haven't improved because they got the same result against PSG is an utter nonsense.

I personally think Chelsea have improved, but not as much as people say. Even during the "invincibles" talk I was still of the opinion that Chelsea were getting by because of some stellar performances from Fabregas and having a striker to finally tuck in the tap ins, but other than that they have/had a group of players outside their starting 11 that were pretty average, when they had to rotate because of injuries, fatigue or when player were off form the players that came in were pretty shit. I think their early form/performances in the PL were misleading because of how poor the league is. How well you do in the PL is respective of the other teams in it, when PSG came around they had a chance to test themselves against an external factor which also happened to be able to provide a comparison with the Chelsea of last season and as it is Chelsea failed.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 am

2-0 Arsenal win incoming.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:48 am

2mins and already looking like we'll be lucky not to lose this Laughing
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:23 am

Giroud has improved so much in the last year or so.  Great finish.  It amazes me that some people think Arsenal have got worse in the last year.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 am

Arsenal having a heroic comeback that ends in glorious failure.  I'm shocked.
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 am

Booooooooooooooooooooo
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:48 am

Massive credit to Ozil he actually tried tonight. Pointed where he wanted the ball, came deep to receive it and was genuinely upset when he didn't get the ball. Not everything he did came off but at least he put in some effort. Looked like he wanted to control the game and be involved.

Walcott was pointless. I think pretty much everyone knows he's most dangerous making those runs from wide into the middle yet he played upfront with Giroud as a strike partner. Don't know whether it was because Monaco squeezed the space or because he's just brain dead but we were probably better off keeping Welbeck on who actually did very well tonight. Monaco are a decent team but we should have blown these scrubs away, makes the 1st leg result look even worse.

Edit: Oh, also forgot to mention that Sanchez was shit tonight. All his workrate was there but he lacked his usual quality and seemed to force it all the time.

Last edited by Keyser Söze on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:15 am; edited 3 times in total
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 am

Seeing Ozil fighting with Berbatov for the ball in the corner was bizarre.  Like seeing two lambs trying to eat each other.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:02 am

Keyser Söze wrote:Massive credit to Ozil he actually tried tonight. Pointed where he wanted the ball, came deep to receive it and was genuinely upset when he didn't get the ball. Not everything he did came off but at least he up in some effort. Looked like he wanted to control the game and be involved.

Walcott was pointless. I think pretty much everyone knows he most dangerous making those runs from wide into the middle yet he played upfront with Giroud as a strike partner. Don't know whether it was because Monaco squeezed the space or because he's just brain dead but we were probably better off keeping Welbeck on who actually did very well tonight. Monaco are a decent team but we should have blown these scrubs away, makes the 1st leg result look even worse.

Edit: Oh, also forgot to mention that Sanchez was shit tonight. All his workrate was there but he lacked his usual quality and seemed to force it all the time.

Spot on. I do think Walcott tucked in because of their extremely compact defensive shape but he's basically a worthless player in my eyes. Drastically inferior to Welbeck, Chamberlain and Sanchez with the ball at his feet and can often be a passenger. Ultimately I think it's pointless trying to analyze this piece of shit game beyond pointing out that it's, as is the case every fucking season, indicative of Arsenal's lack of maturity and inability to compete at the highest level.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:13 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:Massive credit to Ozil he actually tried tonight. Pointed where he wanted the ball, came deep to receive it and was genuinely upset when he didn't get the ball. Not everything he did came off but at least he up in some effort. Looked like he wanted to control the game and be involved.

Walcott was pointless. I think pretty much everyone knows he most dangerous making those runs from wide into the middle yet he played upfront with Giroud as a strike partner. Don't know whether it was because Monaco squeezed the space or because he's just brain dead but we were probably better off keeping Welbeck on who actually did very well tonight. Monaco are a decent team but we should have blown these scrubs away, makes the 1st leg result look even worse.

Spot on. I do think Walcott tucked in because of their extremely compact defensive shape but he's basically a worthless player in my eyes. Drastically inferior to Welbeck, Chamberlain and Sanchez with the ball at his feet and can often be a passenger. Ultimately I think it's pointless trying to analyze this piece of shit game beyond pointing out that it's, as is the case every fucking season, indicative of Arsenal's lack of maturity and inability to compete at the highest level.

No doubt about that. Chamberlain would have certainly started this game had he been fit or at the very least came on for instead of Walcott. I think West Ham was an audition for Walcott to see if he was able to start and game and have a positive impact. He missed too many promising opportunities and I think that worried Wenger and put question marks about his match sharpness. Can't blame Wenger for bringing him on though because he had to change it.

indicative of Arsenal's lack of maturity and inability to compete at the highest level
    Sums up that 3rd Monaco goal perfectly. You can say the 1st goal is lucky, the 2nd a spastic moment from Mert, but to concede the last goal in the manner we did just shows a lack of understanding of European football.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:36 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Arsenal having a heroic comeback that ends in glorious failure.  I'm shocked.

It's funny how it's so similar every year.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:53 am

We improve enough each year to be just the same.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:53 am

That is actually spot on.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:56 am

That is actually spot on.
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:25 pm

He's so spot on, that you said it twice.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Internet is being a cunt.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:26 pm

You are a waste of space, SRST.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:00 pm