Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
El Jefe
fluffy_kittens
Carlos Jenkinson
Barton
Childish Logic
Laurencio
Sean
Gegilworld93
Jeff
Andy
Lux
Jord
ResurrectionRooney
17 posters

Society of Black Lawyers: Liverpool&Chelsea condoning racism

Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Society of Black Lawyers: Liverpool&Chelsea condoning racism - Page 5 Empty Re: Society of Black Lawyers: Liverpool&Chelsea condoning racism

Post by Lux Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:13 pm

ahlycotc wrote:How can people take you seriously when you say white people are being oppressed and under-represented? Almost all positions of power have and are controlled by your stereotypical old, Christian, Caucasian male.

The reason minorities decide to stick together and protect each other is because they get oppressed or have a history of being oppressed. Go to a country that is not white-majority and you won't see organizations like the Society of Black Lawyers. That's because the majority isn't being oppressed like the minority.

The race of the person in power doesn't matter if minorities are untouchable. The fact that they're a minority makes them more powerful in certain circumstances.

I wouldn't say whites are being oppressed.....but the minorities certainly aren't. There is no need for any minority to be fighting for their rights....Britain is probably the most hospitable country in the world yet there is still so much more that they want. It's at the stage where I'd say it's inequality to be giving minorities preference when it's unjustified.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Society of Black Lawyers: Liverpool&Chelsea condoning racism - Page 5 Empty Re: Society of Black Lawyers: Liverpool&Chelsea condoning racism

Post by mac Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:42 pm

CollieBuddz wrote:

How is a 4 year old girl who's afraid to include skin colour in her description for fear of being labelled a racist a sign of things getting better?

Racism will not be gone until we embrace our differences not be afraid to mention them.

Perhaps, the girl didn't mention skin color because she didn't find it a useful description. Perhaps, culture and personality are what she prefers to describe the girl. You have no idea why she didn't include the skin color of the girl in her description. So stop jumping to conclusions. I'm sure Fonseca has a much better understanding of his niece than you do.

Racism will never be completely gone. There will always be a small minority of individuals that hold prejudice against others for any difference between them. Anyways, I think it's better to understand and recognize the differences but to put them aside and rather embrace the common culture of whatever country or region you live in.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:56 pm

The point was that it's an amazing thing that the girl didn't describe someone else by including skin colour....which seems like a pretty pointless point. As if it's wrong to say "She's black" or something? No point trying to pretend that we all look the same when we don't, and there's no point making a big deal out of it either.

Identifying someone by how they look is natural...and perhaps the most obvious thing is their skin colour. Saying "They have long hair" rather than "They are white" hardly makes a difference. Description and judging is different...if someone judges someone based on their colour then that's entirely different to describing them.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Post by mac Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Lux wrote:The point was that it's an amazing thing that the girl didn't describe someone else by including skin colour....which seems like a pretty pointless point. As if it's wrong to say "She's black" or something? No point trying to pretend that we all look the same when we don't, and there's no point making a big deal out of it either.

Identifying someone by how they look is natural...and perhaps the most obvious thing is their skin colour. Saying "They have long hair" rather than "They are white" hardly makes a difference. Description and judging is different...if someone judges someone based on their colour then that's entirely different to describing them.

I think Fonseca's point was that his niece could of used skin color to describe the girl but perhaps found it to be a secondary factor and found the other descriptions more useful. There's no problem with identifying someone by their appearance as long as you don't judge them by that but it's interesting that Fonseca's niece didn't find the need to use it.

Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:01 am

Well if the school had quite a lot of black girls then it would be fairly pointless, but would still help narrow it down.

But yeah, nothing wrong with not mentioning it, but wouldn't say there's anything wrong with mentioning it either.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:46 am

mac wrote:
    Lux wrote:The point was that it's an amazing thing that the girl didn't describe someone else by including skin colour....which seems like a pretty pointless point. As if it's wrong to say "She's black" or something? No point trying to pretend that we all look the same when we don't, and there's no point making a big deal out of it either.

I think Fonseca's point was that his niece could of used skin color to describe the girl but perhaps found it to be a secondary factor and found the other descriptions more useful. There's no problem with identifying someone by their appearance as long as you don't judge them by that but it's interesting that Fonseca's niece didn't find the need to use it.

Yup, that's the whole point. She could of just said she was black but she felt it was irrelevant and it signifys a different way of thinking from a new generation of kids, obviously she's 4 and it's only one person but it's an example
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:35 am

I wonder what would actually happen if I went to the police saying i'd been called a cracker.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 am

Mc Babel wrote:I wonder what would actually happen if I went to the police saying i'd been called a cracker.

Same thing that would happen if a guy went to the police saying he had been called a niggger, fuck all unless you could prove it.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 am

Fonseca wrote:
    mac wrote:

Yup, that's the whole point. She could of just said she was black but she felt it was irrelevant and it signifys a different way of thinking from a new generation of kids, obviously she's 4 and it's only one person but it's an example

Honestly, that's quite awesome Laughing
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 am

Laurencio wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:

Honestly, that's quite awesome Laughing

I thought it was also Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:35 am