Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Torresxvilla
Walcott
Barton
Sheppy
8 posters

Rooney calls for winter break

Danny
    Danny

Rooney calls for winter break - Page 2 Empty Re: Rooney calls for winter break

Post by Danny Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:31 am

Dan wrote:No, it'll only be used for club to fly off to far-out destinations to play friendly matches anyway.

Harry Redknapp said that a few weeks ago when asked about it. He's right as well. It would only tire the players out more with all the travel Neutral
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:32 am

JMB_94 wrote:Did anyone watch that documentary on the BBC last week? Think it was called "Will England win the next World Cup?" Very interesting.

Meh. It kinda told us what we already know I found. We know that Spain radically changed their football system in the 80s/90s, and now they're reaping the benefits of it. But it is what we should do yeah.
    mil1lion
    mil1lion

Supports : The funny kind

Post by mil1lion Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:57 am

menalawyerguy wrote:It was an anomalous down year for Italy. They usually don't struggle in the World Cup. In fact, I seem to remember them winning the whole damn thing kinda recently. Rolling Eyes
    I just dont like the excuses. Certain players played badly at the world cup because of their injuries, which can happen to anyone. Rooney was rushed back from injury because Utd had a title chase on. He was never fit enough at the end of the season and showed it at the World Cup. Torres had missed much of the season and was clearly not 100% fit.

I just think these players need to accept that in order to play at the World Cup, they need to sacrifice some league games and allow themselves to get back to full fitness. Although I imagine the managers push them hard to get them back asap. I dont think the schedule can be blamed as much as the managers rushing players back early.

I also think its better to play consistently throughout the season rather than take a break. I would've expected players to get injured more from taking a break and then having to get back up to speed. As long as teams rotate the squad throughout the season, injuries can be avoided. But the likes of Rooney, Fabregas and Torres aren't rotated often enough throughout the season.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:59 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:http://beta.filgoal.com/English/News.aspx?NewsID=72978
    England and Manchester United star Wayne Rooney believes a winter break will give the Three Lions the opportunity to achieve their full potential.

The evergreen marksman's statements were released ahead of his country's crucial European qualifier against Montenegro.

"A winter break would not only help the England team but the Premier League as well," he said.

"Towards the end of the season the intensity in some of the games which is normally there is missing.

"It's a long season with the intensity that the games are played at. It is only fair on the players that there is a break.

"It's great, especially as a forward when the game is end to end and the game opens up. But it's only in England where you see that game that quick."

And hopefully a winter break will decrease the whining from English clubs about the African Cup of Nations.

Why would it decrease their whining in that regard? I believe their consternation about the Cup of Nations is that it takes places right smack in the middle of club season and so we have to go about a month without Drogba diving around the pitch.

Because with a winter break, the African players would miss less club matches.

Wouldn't the winter break everybody is asking for take place during a couple or few weeks around Christmas time? And if so, considering the Cup of Nations usually begins in mid-January, how would such a winter break have any impact on how many games the African players miss due to the Cup of Nations?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:21 pm