Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Weather130
Marvin
easley91
Barton
ShakerMatty
Theo Filippo
Kuled
Ben 10
Laurencio
Cadbury
LFC_Grunners
SBSP
16 posters

Would a winter break benefit the english game?

Anonymous

Would a winter break benefit the english game? Empty Would a winter break benefit the english game?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

I was watching the bundesliga season review so far on ESPN, and this matter cropped up briefly at the end, and it got me thinking. think

I think pretty much every other league breaks for winter apart from ours, this gives their players chance to rest and recover from injuries. And also, in alot of the boxing day/new years matches in england, the standard drops quite abit. Although it is nice to go and watch football over this christmas period, would it be better in terms of football to have a break?

It could also be argued that this break would reduce the amount of injuries at the end of the season, giving the international sides a better chance in Summer tornaments.

On the other hand a number of shock results occur over the christmas period, making it one of the most entertaining in a way.

think

Last edited by Ed on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Would a winter break benefit the english game? Empty Re: Would a winter break benefit the english game?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:35 am

Please no, I love winter football.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Would a winter break benefit the english game? Empty Re: Would a winter break benefit the english game?

Post by SBSP Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:35 am

It's the only reason I wake up during winter break in school. Neutral
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Supports : Liverpool

Post by LFC_Grunners Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:38 am

It's the only decent sport that is played through winter. No F1/Football = Gun
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:38 am

kyro7 wrote:Please no, I love winter football.

SBSP wrote:It's the only reason I wake up during winter break in school. Neutral
    what im talking about is a break for a week or two, football ending the saturday before christmas and starting up again the saturday after new year maybe.
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 am

Watching Stewart Downing ruined my Christmas. So yes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 am

No.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:40 am

Boxing Day football is too important.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 am

Maybe not a break, but I don't see the point of cramming in 3 games in the space of 6 days. think
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Post by Ben 10 Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:42 am

Laurencio wrote:Boxing Day football is too important.

This.

Crowds are also bigger in the Boxing Day weekend too.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:43 am

Yes, I think so. Can't prove it though.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:45 am

For the players? Absolutely. For the fans? No.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 am

They should just cut out the games that are usually played on 28-29th
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:50 am

They should bring back snoods.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 am

kyro7 wrote:Please no, I love winter football.

This.

Keeps me going during the winter hols.
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Post by ShakerMatty Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:57 am

No, Boxing day is one of the best days of the football season and i love football in the winter as you are freezing your bollocks off but you don't give a shit as you are singing your heart out on the terraces.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 am

Maybe but it wouldn't benefit me so I'm against the idea.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:02 am

I think that a lack of a winter break is one of many reasons as to why English teams are disadvantaged in European competition. Look how many injuries Real Madrid and Barcelona acquire a season and then compare that to Arsenal and Manchester United. The fact that there isn't a break isn't the only reason that English teams accumulate more injuries than Spanish teams, but it's certainly an important factor. The players need the break.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 am

Yes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 am

BladeGunner wrote:I think that a lack of a winter break is one of many reasons as to why English teams are disadvantaged in European competition. Look how many injuries Real Madrid and Barcelona acquire a season and then compare that to Arsenal and Manchester United. The fact that there isn't a break isn't the only reason that English teams accumulate more injuries than Spanish teams, but it's certainly an important factor. The players need the break.

Not at all. The English game is also a hell of a lot more physical than in Spain. One could argue there's also a faster pace to it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:06 am

Dan wrote:
    BladeGunner wrote:I think that a lack of a winter break is one of many reasons as to why English teams are disadvantaged in European competition. Look how many injuries Real Madrid and Barcelona acquire a season and then compare that to Arsenal and Manchester United. The fact that there isn't a break isn't the only reason that English teams accumulate more injuries than Spanish teams, but it's certainly an important factor. The players need the break.

Not at all. The English game is also a hell of a lot more physical than in Spain. One could argue there's also a faster pace to it.

I know and refereeing is a lot stricter in Spain too hence less dangerous challenges. As I said, it's not the only reason why injuries are more common but it does contribute. I think introducing a break would help in reducing these injuries. I obviously can't prove it though.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:07 am

Maybe ease up the winter schedule and add one more week to the season. That's all. bounce
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:07 am

I think it could benefit English football but fuck that, football over Christmas and new year is too good to give up.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:07 am

Dan wrote:

Fatigued players are much more likely to get injured though. Surely it is better for the safety of the players to have a break and rest their weary bones by the fire over Christmas?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:08 am

Poland has a break for two months, it's fucking shit. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 am

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Dan wrote:

Fatigued players are much more likely to get injured though. Surely it is better for the safety of the players to have a break and rest their weary bones by the fire over Christmas?

Rotation.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:10 am

Dan wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:Fatigued players are much more likely to get injured though. Surely it is better for the safety of the players to have a break and rest their weary bones by the fire over Christmas?

Rotation.

The Spanish evil man did that.
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 am

Kuled wrote:For the players? Absolutely. For the fans? No.
    This. For us fans it's a tradition, but for the players in a tournament year especially, it fatigues them a lot more and gives them less of a chance performing at their best in a Euro or World Cup. Either way there will be people unhappy. Chairmen would not be happy as it will lose them revenue over what is probably the busiest period apart from opening weeks and possibly end of season.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 am

Dan wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:Fatigued players are much more likely to get injured though. Surely it is better for the safety of the players to have a break and rest their weary bones by the fire over Christmas?

Rotation.
    Most clubs can't afford to have the depth to allow for rotation without seriously weakening their starting lineup.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:
    Dan wrote:

Rotation.
    Most clubs can't afford to have the depth to allow for rotation without seriously weakening their starting lineup.

Shit happens.

Should have two players for every position anyway + youth/reserves.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:03 am