Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Torresxvilla
masutora
blackskar
coolhead33
Sean
Marvin
dena
Kaka11|LFC
Royal
Danny
Keanoo
Scuba Steve
Barton
luke.
Scouser_Dave
19 posters

Winter Break | Are you for or against it???

Poll

Should the English top flight have a winter break?

[ 15 ]
    Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? Bar_left43%Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? Bar_right [43%] 
    [ 20 ]
    Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? Bar_left57%Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? Bar_right [57%] 

Total Votes: 35
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? Empty Winter Break | Are you for or against it???

Post by Scouser_Dave Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? OFS_ManUtd_Blackburn_10

Remember the World Cup this summer? Of course you do, how could you forget? If you're an Englishman, you may well have been erased those memories better than Arnie's in Total Recall.

But some pundits at the time claimed our shocking displays could have been lessened or even prevented, if we'd had a mid season break in the Premier League.

On one hand this means less football, which is a bad thing, but if it could maintain high octane, end-to-end football throughout the season, then surely it's worth it?

Wayne Rooney has been especially vocal about his support for the idea, although he's probably just looking for anything and everything to blame his poor form on.

'Wayne hungry, Wayne tired, Wayne hungry again.' (This may or may not actually be how Wazza talks).

Other advocats of the shake up include Fabio Capello and Sven-Goran Eriksson... Hang on, are we seeing a pattern emerging here?

Is it simply that the England camp reckons we've got more of a chance in international competitions if have a winter break?

Even so, the Premier League snubbed the idea when Capello propsed it back in March. They explained that to drop from 380 games to 306 would be outrageous when UEFA are increasing their game tally.

So what do you think? Should the top flight have a winter break? Or should the they stop moaning and get on with it?
    Anonymous

Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? Empty Re: Winter Break | Are you for or against it???

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Stop moaning and get on with it, I don't want to be bored in the winter. Neutral
    luke.
    luke.

Winter Break | Are you for or against it??? Empty Re: Winter Break | Are you for or against it???

Post by luke. Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

For it.

Every other league has it but England.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 pm

No. Does a small two week break in January really benefit the players that much in June?

If there was a winter break, the season would be extended/have more games in a shorter time period. More to play, less rest ahead of a World Cup, surely that's worse?
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm for it. England needs a winter break.

Interesting fact: Every single EPL player underperformed at the World Cup this summer.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm

JMB_94 wrote:I'm for it. England needs a winter break.

Interesting fact: Every single EPL player underperformed at the World Cup this summer.

Most top players underperformed.

It's just another excuse. Our players aren't good enough. Having a two week break in the winter won't change that.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Donovan didn't have a bad World Cup, and he played in the Prem for a couple of months. But, he did have December off... Dempsey didn't have his best performance though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 pm

The main stand out players who didn't perform like Torres, Drogba(he done well for the game time he had) and Rooney had injuries before the World Cup, which didn't help.

Fabregas was fine when he played, poor excuse imo.

Last edited by kyro7 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Against it.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Meh. It works well in other countries, but like Kyro I'd be bored in winter Neutral
    Barton

Post by Barton Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 pm

kyro7 wrote:The main stand out players who didn't perform like Torres, Drogba(he done well for the game time he had) and Rooney had injuries before the World Cup, which didn't help.

Fabregas was fine when he played, poor excuse imo.

Fabregas was mostly an unused sub though, couldn't really rate in at the World Cup.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Against it, this is what squad depth is for.

I love matches in december. Rooney just wants to eat some mince pies and turkey.
    Royal
    Royal

Post by Royal Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm definitely for it. A winter break may not have much of an effect for a summer tournament, but I think it would certainly be beneficial for the rest of the season. If a player has a minor injury they are being forced to play with it will give them time to heal, and not only will players come back refreshed, they will also be happier from being able to celebrate christmas properly with their families.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Boxing day football > everyone's reasons for it. Neutral
    Kaka11|LFC
    Kaka11|LFC

Post by Kaka11|LFC Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Just like what Dan said, if theres a winter break and that will extend the season, next thing we'll know is that they'll be bitching to shorten the season because they don't get a big enough summer break.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Royal wrote:I'm definitely for it. A winter break may not have much of an effect for a summer tournament, but I think it would certainly be beneficial for the rest of the season. If a player has a minor injury they are being forced to play with it will give them time to heal, and not only will players come back refreshed, they will also be happier from being able to celebrate christmas properly with their families.
    What if they are Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Shinto, Shamanic, and even a few fundamentalist Christians., Humbugs? Most of the world doesn't celebrate Christmas and most epl players are foreign.
    Royal
    Royal

Post by Royal Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:47 pm

The-Reporter wrote:
    Royal wrote:I'm definitely for it. A winter break may not have much of an effect for a summer tournament, but I think it would certainly be beneficial for the rest of the season. If a player has a minor injury they are being forced to play with it will give them time to heal, and not only will players come back refreshed, they will also be happier from being able to celebrate christmas properly with their families.
    What if they are Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Shinto, Shamanic, and even a few fundamentalist Christians., Humbugs? Most of the world doesn't celebrate Christmas and most epl players are foreign.
    Well whatever, it still gives them time to be with their families over the holidays. Most people who celebrate christmas don't do it for religious reasons anyway, and a lot of people who do follow other religions still do something.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:01 am

i want a winter break. not for the players but for me!

its always been a strain getting to football on a boxing day! i dont live in the west midlands so getting to the game home or away is a hassle with a hangover and a belly full of turkey. new years day aint good either, although this year i am going to west ham as im in London for NYE! so i can just roll out of bed and go.

two week break starting after the penultimate week before xmas, and re-introduce the easter fixtures in the PL to compensate!
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:06 am

Don't care personally, I like watching football in that little two week Christmas period, but it must be hell of the players, the Premier League schedule is mad, from Dec. 26 to Jan. 8 (13 days) Bolton has to play 5 games. Dude. That's mad. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:06 am

Royal wrote:
    The-Reporter wrote:
    Well whatever, it still gives them time to be with their families over the holidays. Most people who celebrate christmas don't do it for religious reasons anyway, and a lot of people who do follow other religions still do something.
    Im not saying they do it for their religion.. im saying none of these celebrate it because its against their religion.
    Royal
    Royal

Post by Royal Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 am

The-Reporter wrote:
    Royal wrote:
    The-Reporter wrote:
    Im not saying they do it for their religion.. im saying none of these celebrate it because its against their religion.
    What did I say at the end of my post? Coffee
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 am

dena wrote:Don't care personally, I like watching football in that little two week Christmas period, but it must be hell of the players, the Premier League schedule is mad, from Dec. 26 to Jan. 8 (13 days) Bolton has to play 5 games. Dude. That's mad. Neutral
    Lee would have played for 2 years straight if he goes to the Asian cup in Jan.

That is a bit ridiculous tbh, but I still don't think a winter break would be a good idea.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 am

It dosen't matter because in this time most clubs jet of to dubai to play Friendlys.
    Barton

Post by Barton Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:35 am

Anderson=Class wrote:It dosen't matter because in this time most clubs jet of to dubai to play Friendlys.

That would pretty pointless, the whole point of having a winter break is to rest up. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 am

JMB_94 wrote:
    Anderson=Class wrote:It dosen't matter because in this time most clubs jet of to dubai to play Friendlys.

That would pretty pointless, the whole point of having a winter break is to rest up. Neutral
    Money talks.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:50 am

Im for and against it.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:02 am

I think Anderson might be referring to some of the German and Italian clubs. And it is true, they do sometimes travel to the Middle East to play some friendly games, but part of it is to get ready for the second half of the season.

Those games are really laid back, and teams usually only play one or two of them (and rotate a lot).
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 am

Winter Break in Poland lasts for 3 months, so I am against it.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 am

Against it, what's the point of a winter break with no tournament for two years.

Also I couldn't give a fuck Bout the England team.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:20 am

No because in the winter it will be boring as fuck with no football Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:54 am