Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+32
Sean
SJH
Ra's al Ghul
vel
Theo Filippo
Keyser Söze
ResurrectionRooney
Jordan Henderchip
Trig
Eternal Witcher
Iscquin
Juvendinho
BigJ0526
dena
Scuba Steve
Phadunkin Donuts
Bye_Ya
SophisticatedBeggar
Jorlung
wellz
limerickcitykid
Forest
Cam
Muhkoo
Keanoo
Harrold
Bushido
fluffy_kittens
Weather130
The Maestro
VivaRonaldoLAD
Glen Miller
36 posters

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by Scuba Steve Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:33 am

Finally we will have some representation on Face of the Week.
    dena
    dena

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by dena Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:47 am

Just read Chivas might take off next year? Jesus.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Yeah, because they haven't been sold yet. So it'll be tough to get the rebranding all done from now until when the season starts if they are sold today. But the deal won't be done today, and probably won't be done for another month or so. So it's not a good look, but it might make the most sense. Plus then we will have 20 teams next season, which will make logistics easier.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:13 am

Sorry for the spanking the other day, Che. Hopefully the qualifying for the World Cup is a bit more competitive though.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:36 am

The Union are leading at halftime in the MLS Open Cup.  I'm confused, I watched this team last season and they looked dreadful.  The resurgence of Le Toux/Casey and the addition of Edu must have been huge.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:50 am

Le Toux is still playing? I remember him playing for the Red Bulls and stinking the place up.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:58 am

Sean wrote:Le Toux is still playing? I remember him playing for the Red Bulls and stinking the place up.
    He is, I saw him score a hat-trick at the Union's first home game.  They traded him for some reason, then brought him back and he's tearing it up (I think).
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:20 pm

He's been doing well. Finished 3-1 to Seattle though (their fourth US Open Cup trophy in 6 years as a MLS side). 

And the big reason for the turnaround for Philadelphia was the firing of John Hackworth and promoting Jim Curtin to interim manager. He's completely changed the team around, and shaped it into a side that's able to compete with most teams in MLS. Shame that they are likely to replace him with Rene Muelensteen. Curtin really deserves to have the job.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:27 pm

When do these foreign big name (relatively anyway) managers ever do well in the MLS. Guilit, Hans Backe Nelsen etc have all failed. MLS really seems a league where you have to understand what you're getting into.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Yeah, it's not a guarantee though (Nelsen played here, so he knew what was going on). But you're right, for the most part, outsiders struggle with it, because it's something that they've never seen before. Best example is Guiilt at Galaxy. He's quoted a couple of times in Beckham Experiment as just being befuddled by MLS rules, situations that he just had no idea that he'd get into. 

Of course, just because someone is of MLS ilk doesn't mean they'll succeed. They still need to know how to manager players and have some tactical sense, which is why Nelsen failed in Toronto.

Philly are a bit slow though when it comes to personnel and management decisions. Like in no way should they be trying to get Muelensteen. It's not going to work out. But this is also the team that drafted a keeper with the first pick in the draft when they already had a young guy in net who they drafted high a couple of years ago. MacMath has had his growing pains, but he's clearly improved from when he first came into the league. So they waste a pick on Andre Blake, who is also a very good keeper. But they can only play one, and they kept MacMath, which made drafting Blake perplexing. Then they go and get Rais M'Bolhi after the World Cup which is even more mind boggling. Already with two competent keepers, they then go get a good tournament keeper who hasn't really played much club ball over the past couple of years. Not only would he take away playing time for promising youngsters, but then he's also on qualifying duty with Algeria too, so he's missed a couple of games. 

Why that team went out and spent so much money and value on two keepers just goes to show how poorly they are run in some aspects. Not to mention, they have a guy from their academy, in college right now, (Steffen) who is also suppose to be the real deal (though he might head to Europe anyway).
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:01 pm

MacMath is a fine goalkeeper, he made a great save on Martins in the 10 minutes of the match I watched and he's pretty good aerially and always making big saves whenever I watch him. As you say, an odd decision (or odd decisions).
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Yeah, I mean, M'Bolhi is probably a much better keeper than MacMath, but Zac is much better than the guy who couldn't hold Mondragon's jock strap a couple of years ago. But it was just puzzling why they decided to go get him when they had enough talent at that position already. They needed a bit help elsewhere on the field (when Riberio is the first option off the bench, troublesome), moreso than the help they needed at keeper. It's just perplexing when everyone else saw that they didn't need to focus on keeper to upgrade, but the team set their sights and pulled the trigger.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:14 pm

I haven't watched them much this season, where are they weak mainly?  If Carroll is still a key player, they should probably start there.  He's basically their Lucas/Arteta figure, he seems incredible slow and weak. I don't think the CBs are too great either, are they?
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:28 pm

What happened to that gut McInerney was it? He seemed to be a hot prospect a while ago
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Sean wrote:What happened to that gut McInerney was it? He seemed to be a hot prospect a while ago
    He went on a hot streak for the Union (8 goals in 9 matches or something like that), lost form, and went to Montreal where it looks like he's done okay.  During that streak, his positioning was great, his finishing superb, but I guess his physical limitations have been exposed a wee bit.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Centerback was a big problem earlier in the year. They had just given us Jeff Parke, and Austin Berry wasn't working out, Ethan White wasn't getting picked, Aaron Wheeler isn't good enough, etc. etc. I think they would really be at their best if they could go with with Amobi Okugo and Maurice Edu alongside each other, whether it be in midfield or in defense. They got back Carlos Valdes from Colombia, who should theoretically be able to shore up the back line. 

Think Valdes has been struggling with injuries since his return though, so Curtin has had to stick Okugo or Edu back there. Some people still think that center back would be Okugo's best position, but he's been playing in midfield with Edu at center back recently. I'm kinda torn as to what I think he's best position is, but I think he's MLS capable at either anyway. 

Carroll hasn't featured too much as a starter this season. Mostly substitute appearances and spot starts when needed. Which is a good thing, because although he was at one time a serviceable player, any reliance on him as a midfield cog for a team nowadays is asking for trouble. Think it was also a mistake to get rid of McInerney. Wenger is a decent goal scoring option, but Jack is that capable poacher that Philadelphia could probably use now. Casey is fine for bulldozing, but beyond that, he doesn't have much value outside the occasional goal. Assuming they can keep a core of the team around next year -- Edu, Okugo, Williams, Gaddis, Valdes, Nogeuira, Maidana, Le Toux, one of the keepers, and Curtin at the helm -- this should be a team that's more than capable of challenging for the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup.

It would also be great if they could finally get Zach Pfeffer a spot on the field, because the kid is suppose to be rather good. Decent at scoring for the youth US sides.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:

It would also be great if they could finally get Zach Pfeffer a spot on the field, because the kid is suppose to be rather good. Decent at scoring for the youth US sides.
    I played against him in middle school.  Nasty little man.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:26 am

Sounders need to stop taking the Open Cup so srsly tbh
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 am

WHY? Entry into Champions League, which means more money to build your squad. TBH, you all need to take it more seriously. Try to make it past your first round and such. Winning trophies is fun. Ya'll should try it.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:17 am

Dena I forgot to ask your opinion on the whole New York City thing. Do you think it will get more fans interested in soccer, or will some red bull fans jump ship seeing as it's based in the City itself and not Jersey?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:42 am

They are already looking outside the city for stadium options. Can't believe MLS pushed them through without a new stadium deal in place.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:17 am

Sean wrote:Dena I forgot to ask your opinion on the whole New York City thing. Do you think it will get more fans interested in soccer, or will some red bull fans jump ship seeing as it's based in the City itself and not Jersey?

I don't think so. Yankee stadium sucks for soccer, they will attract some people because of the names and the accessibility but I can't see it lasting without a real stadium of their own, we'll see I guess. 

I think it was a dumb move by MLS to be honest, I don't really like the way they are going about this next wave of expansion.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:19 am

$$$ doe.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:41 am

Who the fuck are some of these guys? And why do you guys hate cup competitions?

#RBNY Starting XI vs. #IMFC: Meara, Kimura, Perrinelle, Armando, Eckersley, Christianson, Lade, Obekop, Bover, Stevenson, Sene
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Trying to make the playoffs above all else I guess, plus a lot of games in a short timespan.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 pm

New league crest:

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 16 Mls-primary_color
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Looks like it took all of 4 minutes to draw on paint.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:02 am

Yup. There are also team versions that'll be on the kits and such. It's just the same logo with the team colors on it instead.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:09 am

garbage
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:25 am

I think it's better than the previous version in the sense that it dropped the shoe and the ball. The league probably needed that in the beginning since people probably didn't know what MLS was. So in that sense it's evolved properly. However, it's a little too basic for my liking. It's not egregious, something that is so bad. But its lacking a bunch of character, and half of it is blank.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 am