Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Theo Filippo
Schnix
Laurencio
Phadunkin Donuts
FishnChips
Mario
Ben
Potato-7
Muhkoo
Weather130
Ham.
easley91
The Bat-Man
Walcott
Grenade
Lux
Andy
ConorCelticFC
22 posters

should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead?

Anonymous

should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead? Empty should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:45 am

No offense to them, havent seen them play football but they would have a genuine chance at winning the europa, instead of getting out of their CL group, only to come up against the likes of Real and be knocked out (lets be realistic).

You may all criticize me for saying this, but I believe it would benefit them if they were to aim for 3rd spot instead of 2nd in their group.
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead? Empty Re: should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead?

Post by ConorCelticFC Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:45 am

More money. And they beat Lyon anyway.
    Andy

Supports : Manchester United

should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead? Empty Re: should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead?

Post by Andy Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 am

facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 am

No, it would be more financially beneficial for them to be in the Champions League.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 am

Quarters in Champions League > Winning Europa
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:53 am

Getting to the knock-out stages of the CL itself is more 'prestigious' than winning the Europa league to be honest. And they could potentially make the semi finals of the CL in the near future if they get lucky. Also as stated before there's the financial benefit and the publicity the club would get for playing in the Champions league. Regardless of how good or bad your squad is the Champions league will always be better to play in than the Europa League.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 am

Lux wrote:Quarters in Champions League > Winning Europa
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:56 am

APOEL is not a bad side. They are a really strong side, better than the likes of Zenit in my opinion. Why don't people get this? Real Madrid may be confident they'll win, but APOEL are going to give them a challenge.

Champions League gives far more money than Europa League, and why should sides like APOEL aim for Europa league when they can achieve better?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:56 am

Playing against Real Madrid in Champions League knockout stages will bring them more fortune than winning the europa league. If they somehow managed to compete it would be superb.
    Walcott
    Walcott

Supports : Arsenal & Lewis Hamilton.

Post by Walcott Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:58 am

No.
    The Bat-Man
    The Bat-Man

Supports : The Voyeur

Post by The Bat-Man Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:06 am

In terms of money, round of 16 in the CL > Winning the EL
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:07 am

But for the fans, I know I would prefer silverware than a round of 16 place.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:10 am

Ed wrote:But for the fans, I know I would prefer silverware than a round of 16 place.
    I'd love to win the Europa league sure, but there will be other years for that(This year, Wisla Krakow nearly knocked APOEL to the Europa, it took a goal in the 88th minute for them to go through, so it's always a possibility). In the mean time, I would love the opportunity to compete against the very best in Real Madrid.
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:10 am

They earned their place in the Champions League, so no they shouldn't aim for lower.
    Ham.
    Ham.

Post by Ham. Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 am

Ed wrote:But for the fans, I know I would prefer silverware than a round of 16 place.

Who's to say they would win the EL. Next season they might not even get past the EL groups stages.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 am

So we should restrict the champions league to include only the champions from the top 16 league and call it a day?? Brillant.
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:17 am

Ed wrote:No offense to them, havent seen them play football

And this gives you the idea that you should give an opinion on it... wow just wow, how far up your own ass are you?

should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead? 618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm

should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead? My-little-pony-facepalm-facehoof-mVhPGj
    should teams such as APOEL aim for europa league instead? 1701-lotr-facepalm

Clubs only chance in many many, using the fact that they made the tournament more accessible to the lesser leagues by making them play each other rather than playing teams that aren't champions from other leagues, but they still had to beat 3 teams that were better than them on paper and another that has been a cl regular for many many years.
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:18 am

Muhkoo wrote:

And this gives you the idea that you should give an opinion on it... wow just wow, how far up your own ass are you?

Everyone here does it to the SPL.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:19 am

Most fans would probably rather prefer being in the Champions league and playing against the best teams in the world, rather than having a shot at the Europa league. Also as stated numerous times before, finishing in the last 16 in the CL is a bigger honor than winning the Europa League. The only difference is (assuming they win the Europa League) they get to see their team lift a shit trophy.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 am

Muhkoo wrote:

So you think they can realistically win the CL? facepalm
    Potato-7
    Potato-7

Supports : Olympiakos

Post by Potato-7 Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 am

Champions league is far more prestigious than the europa league.

I would rather make it to the quarters of the CL,than win the europa league.I prefer playing against the likes of real madrid and barcelona(even if I lose),than playing and winning against the likes of sporting lisbon and hannover.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:31 am

You only get 6 million for winning the Europa League, which is like what you get for getting through the group stage of the champions league. Laughing
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:37 am

Yes. What that has to do with it though? The tournament was changed to easier let in a lot of teams that have no expectations of winning the Champions League but to give them an opportunity to make some money, ability to attract better players by participation in the tournament and give their own players a chance to gain some invaluable experience against the very best.

It is not APOEL's fault that the teams they played against in the Group Stage didn't show up with all they had, and Lyon were absolutely shit. Had they met teams who cared and who truly belong in the Champions League in the group stage they would have gone out or to Europa League. APOEL has the same chance to win the tournament as Benfica & Marsielle, a very slim one all 3 are up against huge teams compared to them, Benfica and Marsielle are old champions but they are no where near the same team sheets as the other 5 teams left in the tournament, yet they still decided to perform in the tournament and get to this stage.

Saying they shouldn't participate is headless, that is like saying the seed 5-6 teams in European qualification tournaments to World Cup and EURO's shouldn't even participate because all they provide is a chance to get a bunch of goals for the top international teams.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:55 am

Muhkoo wrote:Yes. What that has to do with it though? The tournament was changed to easier let in a lot of teams that have no expectations of winning the Champions League but to give them an opportunity to make some money, ability to attract better players by participation in the tournament and give their own players a chance to gain some invaluable experience against the very best.

It is not APOEL's fault that the teams they played against in the Group Stage didn't show up with all they had, and Lyon were absolutely shit. Had they met teams who cared and who truly belong in the Champions League in the group stage they would have gone out or to Europa League. APOEL has the same chance to win the tournament as Benfica & Marsielle, a very slim one all 3 are up against huge teams compared to them, Benfica and Marsielle are old champions but they are no where near the same team sheets as the other 5 teams left in the tournament, yet they still decided to perform in the tournament and get to this stage.

Saying they shouldn't participate is headless, that is like saying the seed 5-6 teams in European qualification tournaments to World Cup and EURO's shouldn't even participate because all they provide is a chance to get a bunch of goals for the top international teams.
    no im not saying that at all, as there is no other tornament that corresponds with the Euro's for lesser teams, so they have to go for it on the off chance they do a greece
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:46 am

Ahh, I remember back at the start of the season when me and the other Polish fans were wanting to draw APOEL in the CL qualifiers. Laughing

Look how far they've came.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:09 am

Even if you discount the money, it's a ridiculous gamble to take, there is no guarantee that they'll win the Europa League. No one is going to say 'oh no we'll deliberately finish 3rd rather than 2nd on the off chance that we may actually win that competition.' One off-day in any cup and you're out, I know which tournament I'd rather do that in.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:15 am

OP is a phaggot.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 am

Inter sucks balls.
    Mario
    Mario

Formerly known as : El Pipita
    Supports : Real Madrid Castilla

Post by Mario Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 am

Apoel are not going to give us a challenge Polska.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:31 am

Ed wrote:No offense to them, havent seen them play football but they would have a genuine chance at winning the europa, instead of getting out of their CL group, only to come up against the likes of Real and be knocked out (lets be realistic).

You may all criticize me for saying this, but I believe it would benefit them if they were to aim for 3rd spot instead of 2nd in their group.

Most would've thought that they already would've been knocked out in the group stages, then in the next round, yet they're still here. Besides, I'm sure they'd be underdogs in most of the Europa League matches they would play anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:59 pm