Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Phadunkin Donuts
TheRangersFan
Ben
Jordi
Uncle John from Jamaica
Totti
The Bat-Man
ConorCelticFC
easley91
Grenade
Lux
Harrold
Jorlung
RubyArmyCTFC
Walcott
ShakerMatty
claretandbluewhu
Weather130
22 posters

Celtic linked with League One switch

Weather130
    Weather130

Celtic linked with League One switch Empty Celtic linked with League One switch

Post by Weather130 Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 am

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has said his team could hold their own in the English top flight, amid reports the Scottish side are considering joining League One.

Celtic linked with League One switch Neillennonwoe20111029_275x155
    PA PhotosNeil Lennon: His Celtic could win treble

Celtic have long been linked with a move to English football but there has been a reluctance to let the Scottish side walk straight into the Premier League.

The Sunday People report that Celtic are now willing to drop down to League One and then fight their way up through the divisions. The radical plan is set to be put to Football League clubs this summer.

However, Lennon believes Celtic, who are 21 points ahead of Rangers and Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League, could operate in the English top flight.

Lennon pointed to the likes of Scotland winger James Forrest and Kenyan midfielder Victor Wanyama as players who would thrive in the Premier League.

Lennon told Sunday newspapers: "People keep saying the EPL is so far ahead - and in some respects it is. But Celtic could play there and do all right.

"I don't know where we would finish but I don't think we would get relegated.

"But it is not just about quality - with our prestige, support, tradition and history, I think Celtic would add something extra to England's top flight."

This story is crazy enough to warrant its own thread. If true then it is RIP to the SPL.
    claretandbluewhu
    claretandbluewhu

Supports : WEST 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Celtic linked with League One switch Empty Re: Celtic linked with League One switch

Post by claretandbluewhu Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:20 am

League One's profile would quadruple Laughing
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Celtic linked with League One switch Empty Re: Celtic linked with League One switch

Post by ShakerMatty Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:26 am

No there aren't room for two MASSIVE clubs in League 1.Celtic linked with League One switch 784961
    claretandbluewhu
    claretandbluewhu

Post by claretandbluewhu Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 am

Last time I looked Dagenham & Redbridge got relegated from League One...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:28 am

They can start at the very fucking bottom like every other new team entering the system.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:36 am

Radford wrote:They can start at the very fucking bottom like every other new team entering the system.
    claretandbluewhu
    claretandbluewhu

Post by claretandbluewhu Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:37 am

Radford wrote:They can start at the very fucking bottom like every other new team entering the system.

Only if they paid all the travel costs for the non league teams visiting them
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:57 am

I don't like this, it's unfair.

Either they buy the license off a team in League 1 or they merge with a club in League 1. They shouldn't just be allowed to enter it. It is completely unfair.

I say the SPL(and below it, all it's lower divisions) should be implemented into the English league system and have a promotion place to Blue Square North/South, and from there they can promote themselves all the way up, fairly.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:00 am

I know Celtic are massive compared to us, but we have worked so hard to get to League 2[the same can be applied to every club in the football league] and if Celtic get auto-placed into a league above without earning it i'll be pissed Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 am

Massive or not, that shouldn't be relevant. They shouldn't get special treatment.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:03 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:I don't like this, it's unfair.

Either they buy the license off a team in League 1 or they merge with a club in League 1. They shouldn't just be allowed to enter it. It is completely unfair.

I say the SPL(and below it, all it's lower divisions) should be implemented into the English league system and have a promotion place to Blue Square North/South, and from there they can promote themselves all the way up, fairly.

Unless they find a method to restructure the system depending on whoever is the highest ranked side to fold. If Portsmouth FC goes belly-up it works perfectly.
    Walcott
    Walcott

Supports : Arsenal & Lewis Hamilton.

Post by Walcott Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 am

Weather130 wrote:
    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:I don't like this, it's unfair.

Unless they find a method to restructure the system depending on whoever is the highest ranked side to fold. If Portsmouth FC goes belly-up it works perfectly.
    Or just allow one more side from each division below to go up, and then Celtic can start at the very bottom in place of Portsmouth.

Theres no way Celtic should just be allowed to join League 1.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 am

Most new clubs today that are any bit noteworthy start somewhere in Level 7-9 in the pyramid.
    RubyArmyCTFC
    RubyArmyCTFC

Supports : Cheltenham Town

Post by RubyArmyCTFC Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:07 am

Who would they replace in league one? Only fair they start at the very bottom and earn their way up like AFC Wimbledon have done recently.
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Supports : TFC

Post by Jorlung Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:17 am

It would be amusing to have them play in the 7th tier.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:18 am

AFC Wmbledon started Level 9

FC Manchester of United Level 10

Chester FC Level 8 (replacing Chester City whp were wound up from Conference National)
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:20 am

Why the hell would we do that though? It's starting at League One or championship or nothing, expect a club like Celtic to spent years clawing away playing amateur football just to eventually play in the Prem? Dream on

I'd stop supporting Celtic if this happened anyway
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:22 am

No thank-you. Smile
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 am

I wouldn't want this if I was a Celtic fan.. I mean it would probably kill them if they had to play in the 9th tier.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:25 am

you'd have to put them pretty low down. And they would just ruin the leagues they are in as they would be totally dominant of every club, the fans would hate it aswell

if they did join they should be put in league 1 imo as they would get a few tight games (maybe) in there, or wait for a club to go into liquidation and disappear, and take their place in whichever division it may be.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:26 am

Well all the players would leave, and most people in the academy would leave too.
    claretandbluewhu
    claretandbluewhu

Post by claretandbluewhu Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 am

I remember watching AFC Wimbledon play my local non league club years ago and getting beat Laughing

How far they've come haha, feels weird. Celtic should have to do the same IMO.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:30 am

Why are you discussing Celtic starting from the beginning when the story is Celtic entering League One? A club with a 60,000 stadium, one of the biggest fanbases in the world .. suddenly just starting playing amateur football? Having to spend years upon years playing in the backwaters of the english league system .. all to play in the totally over rated premier league? No thank you

The day Celtic play in England would be the day i stop supporting them
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Supports : TFC

Post by Jorlung Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 am

I think they should probably wait until a club implodes or they're going to have to merge with some club. If they enter the English system either way people are going to be pissed. If the start in League 1, League 1 teams and below are going to be pissed. If the start in the 7-9th division Celtic fans are going to be pissed.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:35 am

If a club in league 1 goes into liquidation could they them out and take their place in the football league?

If it happened any other way then it would push every club in League 1 and below down one place to make space. Fucking leeches can't they just improve their own league? Celtic linked with League One switch 817687

SPL clubs = parasites.
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:36 am

Celtic should start at either Blue Square Prem or League 2. I'm not having them go to the league above us automatically, just because of their stature. It's easier to just put them at the bottom. Football League clubs won't allow it, the first two who'd speak up and say no will be Di Canio and Evans, I'd hate to be on the end of them teaming up. Fuck that.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:36 am

They are talking about taking Portsmouths place, if they cease to exist next season. With them looking like they will be relegated it would be in league one.
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:37 am

Grenade wrote:If a club in league 1 goes into liquidation could they them out and take their place in the football league?

If it happened any other way then it would push every club in League 1 and below down one place to make space. Fucking leeches can't they just improve their own league? Celtic linked with League One switch 817687

SPL clubs = parasites.
    I'd rather the highest team in the league below replace them, then go through the leagues accordingly.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:37 am

The only way that would even be fair is if they bought the license off the Liquidated side. Otherwise, why shouldn't another League 2 side get promotion instead?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:The only way that would even be fair is if they bought the license off the Liquidated side. Otherwise, why shouldn't another League 2 side get promotion instead?

Championship, League One or League Two cretins don't matter. It's about Celtic and how they can prosper

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:41 am