Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
menalawyerguy
Uncle John from Jamaica
Marvin
dena
Mal
luke.
Theo Filippo
Lux
El Jefe
Pippo
Carlos Jenkinson
Jordi
Jamie
Drake
Mouse
Ben
Danny
Barton
Kuled
wellz
24 posters

Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby

Mal
    Mal

Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby

Post by Mal Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 am

Fabregas didn't even criticise them.

"Here they play in front of their fans, they are more motivated, the pitch is not as good as Stamford Bridge, so they play their game.

"They know how to do it and did it very well, so credit to them.

"Now we will see how they cope at the Emirates against us.
    dena
    dena

Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby

Post by dena Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 am

He's right. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:13 am

What he says is right but maybe he shouldn't say it. Teams should try and play football rather than avoid playing it and just hoofing it up and trying to get goals from set pieces.

People say "oh we play to our strengths" Look at Blackpool, Bolton, Wigan. All meant to be relegation contenders yet 2 of them 3 are doing way better than anyone expected. Maybe if teams bought players to play football rather than buying machines to play all over the pitch then you wouldn't get slagged off.

I'm not gonna bitch about how teams play though, it is up to them but they shouldn't complain if others decide to complain.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 am

Malorie wrote:Fabregas didn't even criticise them.

"Here they play in front of their fans, they are more motivated, the pitch is not as good as Stamford Bridge, so they play their game.

That's not all he said.
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:17 am

James ♠️ wrote:What he says is right but maybe he shouldn't say it. Teams should try and play football rather than avoid playing it and just hoofing it up and trying to get goals from set pieces.

People say "oh we play to our strengths" Look at Blackpool, Bolton, Wigan. All meant to be relegation contenders yet 2 of them 3 are doing way better than anyone expected. Maybe if teams bought players to play football rather than buying machines to play all over the pitch then you wouldn't get slagged off.

I'm not gonna bitch about how teams play though, it is up to them but they shouldn't complain if others decide to complain.

James, i see what you're trying to say. I don't like it when teams like Blackburn do it because they have the quality to play good football, Ipswich wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to outplay Arsenal with attractive football, we aren't good enough to do that. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:20 am

Infact now I think about it, look at the Championship.

Yes it is currently been led by a hoof ball team but look directly below QPR.

Cardiff, Norwich, Swansea, Leeds and Watford. All 5 teams are attacking footballing teams. so 5 of the top 6 play football how it is supposed to be.

Then outside the playoffs there is Forest in 7th, Burnley in 10th, Leicester in 12th, Derby in 13th, Doncaster in 14th and Hull in 15th who all play nice stuff and all who will be nowhere near relegation at the end of the season.

Its funny how all the long ball teams don't do as well, all in the bottom 8 fighting releation. Maybe teams should learn to play football because it will actually benefit them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:21 am

JMB_94 wrote:
    James ♠️ wrote:What he says is right but maybe he shouldn't say it. Teams should try and play football rather than avoid playing it and just hoofing it up and trying to get goals from set pieces.

James, i see what you're trying to say. I don't like it when teams like Blackburn do it because they have the quality to play good football, Ipswich wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to outplay Arsenal with attractive football, we aren't good enough to do that. Neutral

But it isn't just Arsenal, you did it when you came to the KC and at the time you was above us in the league. You stuck 10 men behind the ball and hoofed it up the lone frontman and still didn't get any support up to him till we finally scored.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:22 am

James ♠ wrote:Infact now I think about it, look at the Championship.

Cardiff, Norwich, Swansea, Leeds and Watford. All 5 teams are attacking footballing teams. so 5 of the top 6 play football how it is supposed to be.

To be fair Swansea were passing it around defence and making our come out to them before we fell asleep and then they whacked it up to fast black forwards on the counter attack. Decent tactic and requires good passing but don't like it.

Barton

Post by Barton Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:23 am

James ♠️ wrote:Infact now I think about it, look at the Championship.

Then outside the playoffs there is Forest in 7th, Burnley in 10th, Leicester in 12th, Derby in 13th, Doncaster in 14th and Hull in 15th who all play nice stuff and all who will be nowhere near relegation at the end of the season.

Its funny how all the long ball teams don't do as well, all in the bottom 8 fighting releation. Maybe teams should learn to play football because it will actually benefit them.

Playing hoof ball tactic is very effective against teams like Arsenal, as we all saw last night. I admit, we should play more attractive against teams at the same level as us, hopefully Paul Jewell will sort that out.

James ♠️ wrote:
    JMB_94 wrote:

But it isn't just Arsenal, you did it when you came to the KC and at the time you was above us in the league. You stuck 10 men behind the ball and hoofed it up the lone frontman and still didn't get any support up to him till we finally scored.

Yeah, as i said, we weren't playing great football under Roy Keane. I'm confident Jewell will sort that out though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:27 am

Luxz0rz wrote:

To be fair Swansea were passing it around defence and making our come out to them before we fell asleep and then they whacked it up to fast black forwards on the counter attack. Decent tactic and requires good passing but don't like it.

They do play some nice stuff though, I remember them playing on SKY v Ipswich. They dominated possession away from home.

JMB_94 wrote:Playing hoof ball tactic is very effective against teams like Arsenal, as we all saw last night. I admit, we should play more attractive against teams at the same level as us, hopefully Paul Jewell will sort that out.

Funniest comment ever. lol!
    Barton

Post by Barton Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:28 am

We'll see James, in the mean time you can stop critising us. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:30 am

I'm not just aiming it at Ipswich, i'm aiming at all boring longball teams with 10 behind the ball. Paul Jewell tries to play succesful football, managers like him don't change their approach. He is a less succesful Sam Allardyce.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 am

Luxz0rz wrote:
    Malorie wrote:Fabregas didn't even criticise them.

That's not all he said.

Still said that part. Coffee
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:36 am

He is right, but Arsenal need to learn to deal with it or teams will just keep doing it to them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:41 am

Cameron_LFC wrote:I hope Ipswich go through now just to shut that stupid cunt up.
    Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby - Page 2 207657 Nice one mate, is that the best you've got? Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby - Page 2 781738
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 am

19Jones19v wrote:
    luke. wrote:
    19Jones19v wrote:Either way, Ipswich are still going out. Great achievement for them to reach the semi's though, but they're run ends at the Emirates Neutral

I thought you would have learned not to write teams off before you have played them.. remember that easy win at Wigan you spoke of? Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby - Page 2 58503
    How did I know a cunt like you would quote me out of everyone else Laughing . I could say the same for you when you was saying you'd bounce back and beat Villa at your home after we dominated you at the Emirates.

I said "I can see", I didn't say "We will definitely smash them". Get your facts right. Simples
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 am

Whats even funnier is the teams that play longball wrong. The way its meant to work is playing it over the top then have their defender kick it out of play after he is put under pressure. They you are in a good position with the throw in to start playing football at the top end of the pitch.

Most teams don't do this though and they just put a big person up front to win headers when really they should have good passers as full backs, give it to them and let them pass it into the space behind the other full back and have 3 up top (1 striker with 2 fast wingers) who close the opposition player chasing back.

Basically, most longball teams play bad rugby whereas if they played as I described they would be playing big rugby.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:44 am

James ♠ wrote:Whats even funnier is the teams that play longball wrong. The way its meant to work is playing it over the top then have their defender kick it out of play after he is put under pressure. They you are in a good position with the throw in to start playing football at the top end of the pitch.

Most teams don't do this though and they just put a big person up front to win headers when really they should have good passers as full backs, give it to them and let them pass it into the space behind the other full back and have 3 up top (1 striker with 2 fast wingers) who close the opposition player chasing back.

Basically, most longball teams play bad rugby whereas if they played as I described they would be playing big rugby.

Longball > Target man > Bring it down/flick it on = chance on goal. They don't do it just to win throw ins.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:46 am

@Jones, What are you on about facepalm Pipe down
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:49 am

luke. wrote:
    James ♠️ wrote:Whats even funnier is the teams that play longball wrong. The way its meant to work is playing it over the top then have their defender kick it out of play after he is put under pressure. They you are in a good position with the throw in to start playing football at the top end of the pitch.

Longball > Target man > Bring it down/flick it on = chance on goal. They don't do it just to win throw ins.

My way would be better though as you can do it from a defensive position. Playing alongball to a target man from a defensive position doesn't do much because;

1. they will be too far away from goal to cause any real problems to the defence if they do manage to knock it down
    2. most teams have defenders who can win headers anyway. How many top class target men is there? Compare that to the top class centre backs who are great in the air. Razz

With my technique you'd basically play

--------GK
    DR-CB-CB-LB
    ------CDM
    ---CM---CM
    RW--ST--LW

The goalkeeper would just give it to the full backs. The CB would also just give it to the full backs althought it would possibly be good with a centre back who can also punt it into space well.
    The defensive mid would break up play like any other and support attacks. The too CMs would need to be creative in the final 3rd.
    Front line just needs to be fast at closing down.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:52 am

James ♠️ wrote:
    luke. wrote:
    James ♠️ wrote:Whats even funnier is the teams that play longball wrong. The way its meant to work is playing it over the top then have their defender kick it out of play after he is put under pressure. They you are in a good position with the throw in to start playing football at the top end of the pitch.

My way would be better though as you can do it from a defensive position. Playing alongball to a target man from a defensive position doesn't do much because;

1. they will be too far away from goal to cause any real problems to the defence if they do manage to knock it down
    2. most teams have defenders who can win headers anyway. How many top class target men is there? Compare that to the top class centre backs who are great in the air. Razz

With my technique you'd basically play

--------GK
    DR-CB-CB-LB
    ------CDM
    ---CM---CM
    RW--ST--LW

The goalkeeper would just give it to the full backs. The CB would also just give it to the full backs althought it would possibly be good with a centre back who can also punt it into space well.
    The defensive mid would break up play like any other and support attacks. The too CMs would need to be creative in the final 3rd.
    Front line just needs to be fast at closing down.

I'm just saying that is the aim, not what is more effective. If you get yourself a good targetman, let's say Drogba, he will terrorise defenders for 90 minutes when he is on top of his game, bullying them off the ball etc. Just have too look at his goal vs Spurs to see what I mean.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 am

Not many teams can afford a top target man like Drogba though. Laughing
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:56 am

True Neutral

You get my point though. You know, this is probably the first time we've discussed without throwing insults at eachother shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:58 am

Dont ruin it now Luke eek2
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 am

Cameron_LFC wrote:@Jones, What are you on about Fabregas: We play football, other teams play rugby - Page 2 58503 Pipe down
    Sorry, but you came at me with all guns blazing when all I said was we'd win the second leg and get to the final. I think you're the individual who needs to pipe down tbh Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:03 am

All guns blazing? I said 'Dont count your chickens before they've hatched'

I was joking anyway for gods sake facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:05 am

I do understand your point but you are basically talking about top teams only who dont need to play hoofball. I'm talking about teams that believe they need to play hoofball to keep up.
    Imagine this team for the tactic I said.

------------------GK
    Eardley--Shawcross--Samba-Bridge
    --------------Delap
    ---------Adam--Miljas
    Kuyt-------Jerome--Rodallega

3 hard working forwards. Adam and Miljas are probably the best creative midfielders in the relegation candidates. Eardley at Blackpool and Bridge are both good crosses from what i've seen so I reckon they'd be best for playing punts down the line behind full backs. Delap works hard and needs to be there for when the countless throw ins are won. Samba and Shawcross are ace in the air and would be a danger from them throw ins and other setpieces.

I should be amanager me.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:07 am

The funniest thing about this thread is people haven't even read Fabregas' quotes then slag him off for being a "moaner".

What did he moan about? Here is the first line of the OP:
    Defiant Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas maintains the Gunners must deal with whatever "rugby" tactics other teams throw at them - and warned Ipswich they will be handed a real football lesson in the second leg of their Carling Cup semi-final at Emirates Stadium.
    Now where in Cesc's quotes does he warn Ipswich they will be handed a real football lesson? He says credit to them and he's confident we can deal with them at the Emirates, and why shouldn't he be?
    "I don't know it if it is long ball or it is a rugby kick, but it worked for them," Fabregas said.

"In England, a lot of teams play like that and it works for them, they create chances like that and it is their football.

"We just have to put the ball on the floor and try to play football, that is what we do.

"I can only remember two opportunities for them, but it was from a long, long ball because playing football they could not really get behind us or attack us.

"It is a bit disappointing because I think we were the much better team.

"Credit to them because they played well, but Arsenal made the football, the other team refused to play football, they were lucky to score with a long ball.

"But it was one of those nights and now we have to make it at the Emirates in two weeks."

Fabregas added: "It is a 1-0, and of course we did not want to lose, but it is not a 3-0 or 4-0 so we are confident at home we can make it back.

"It is not the same to play at Stamford Bridge as it is to come here.

"We are confident we can do it there."
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:20 am

Laughing You aren't being serious are you?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:21 am

Yep, no need to try deny it. You only have Tarrabt and Faurlin who can play football. All your strikers are used for the longball game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 pm