Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Steadman
Gegilworld93
6 posters

What are you allowed to say on the pitch (English language)

Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

What are you allowed to say on the pitch (English language) Empty What are you allowed to say on the pitch (English language)

Post by Gegilworld93 Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:37 am

I was wondering what exactly players are allowed to say on the pitch without getting booked or sent off, in the rules it states when 'foul language' is used the player may be sent off, but how exactly does this work?

If you swear at the ref, for example 'you fucking dickhead can you ever get a decision right' then you'd obvioulsy be sent off but what about if you shout 'are you fucking blind' ?

I'm asking because in Switzerland some FC Zürich player got sent off because he was tapping his forehead at the ref and asking 'are you crazy', thought it was a bit harsh.
    Anonymous

What are you allowed to say on the pitch (English language) Empty Re: What are you allowed to say on the pitch (English language)

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:41 am

Depends on the culture. Kinda pointless comparing what players who can play in England can say to what the Swiss can do.

Bit like Jovanovic doing the gun signal towards fans in Belgium, pretty sure nothing would be said if it happened in England.

As for the question, I have no idea. Up to the refs I reckon.
    Steadman
    Steadman

Supports : I have humor, yes.

What are you allowed to say on the pitch (English language) Empty Re: What are you allowed to say on the pitch (English language)

Post by Steadman Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:43 am

There is no guideline for this. It's all about the judgement of the referee and what he deems to be a step too far.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:51 am

By the laws of the game 'Foul and Abusive Language' warrants an immediate red card, however that is not how the rule is applied. Here's what Gordon Taylor had to say about it.

"While the use of foul and abusive language is not condoned, there is an acceptance by all parties within the game that 'industrial language' is commonly used," said the chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association.

"It becomes an issue when directed towards match officials. However, when used in a spontaneous way in celebration or frustration then it is not normally expected to merit a sanction.

"If sanctions are to be imposed in such circumstances then this has to be done in a balanced and consistent manner, and participants made aware of this fundamental change in approach."
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:11 am

It's whatever the referee is willing to put up with. I red carded a player for calling me a donkey's ass. He thought that wasn't deserving of a red card.

If someone called me blind without any cuss words, I would caution him for dissent.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:30 am

ahlycotc wrote:It's whatever the referee is willing to put up with. I red carded a player for calling me a donkey's ass. He thought that wasn't deserving of a red card.

If someone called me blind without any cuss words, I would caution him for dissent.
    What if they were critical of Allah?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:15 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:It's whatever the referee is willing to put up with. I red carded a player for calling me a donkey's ass. He thought that wasn't deserving of a red card.

What if they were critical of Allah?

Then I would slit their throat. Rolling Eyes
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 am

You often see players swear in frustration, I imagine if it's directed towards the ref though action would be taken.
    thechampion
    thechampion

Post by thechampion Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 am

As long as the cameras don't pick them up, I think they can say almost anything, within reason of course.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:44 am

I got sent off for sarcastically clapping the referee once, he gave a free kick or something cos our goalkeeper did something, I can't remember what it was exactly Laughing
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:27 am

Our refs just put up with a load of shit from players, they know half of them anyway so they sort it out calmly after the game. (Sunday League)
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 am

Jay wrote:Our refs just put up with a load of shit from players, they know half of them anyway so they sort it out calmly after the game. (Sunday League)

Just like where I live.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:54 am

Cam wrote:

I got sent off for sarcastically clapping the referee once, he gave a free kick or something cos our goalkeeper did something, I can't remember what it was exactly Laughing

That's harsh. I would have just cautioned you.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:00 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    Cam wrote:

That's harsh. I would have just cautioned you.

tbf, I kept doing it everytime he made a decision and went 'ooooo' whenever my keeper went to pick up the ball shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 am

Anything the ref doesn't hear.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:22 pm