Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
blackskar
Gegilworld93
Mister Moustache
chiboygeorge
Cristiano
AriseForLife
SBSP
dena
Trig
LeBron
Roloman4
fluffy_kittens
Laurencio
ResurrectionRooney
MickStupp
Lux
Barton
Jamie
Fanatic
Zzonked
menalawyerguy
25 posters

Messi: Best Ever?

Poll

Is Messi the best player ever or potentially the best player ever?

[ 10 ]
    Messi: Best Ever? Bar_left24%Messi: Best Ever? Bar_right [24%] 
    [ 10 ]
    Messi: Best Ever? Bar_left24%Messi: Best Ever? Bar_right [24%] 
    [ 17 ]
    Messi: Best Ever? Bar_left41%Messi: Best Ever? Bar_right [41%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Messi: Best Ever? Bar_left10%Messi: Best Ever? Bar_right [10%] 

Total Votes: 41
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Messi: Best Ever? Empty Messi: Best Ever?

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:07 am

Vote and discuss.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Messi: Best Ever? Empty Re: Messi: Best Ever?

Post by Zzonked Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 am

He very possibly will be, but it would help if he wins a world cup.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 am

Not best yet, no one can ever be at the age of 23, but if injuries do not prematurely end his career he will retire as the greatest player in the history of football.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 am

I think he is already.
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:11 am

When he retires.

He is only 23 and his a long career ahead of him, would help if he won a World Cup as Zzonked mentioned.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:12 am

I think that a lot of good players have proven themselves in worse teams. A lot of people consider Barcelona's team the best ever....so it's hard to disagree with that.

Can't blame Messi for that, but he's only 23....he shows individual brilliance beyond anyone in the game currently but he's had it easy enough.

It would be interesting to see Messi move to an English team and to see that team have a bad season......and whether or not he could carry the team in the same way other great players have. Don't see it happening though.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 am

I don't like comparisons like this. It's a different game from when the likes of Puskas and Di Stefano, Pele and Maradona and co. were playing.
    Pushing me, I'd say he should be by the end of his career, but he is extremely close to it as it is.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:16 am

Lux wrote:I think that a lot of good players have proven themselves in worse teams. A lot of people consider Barcelona's team the best ever....so it's hard to disagree with that.

Can't blame Messi for that, but he's only 23....he shows individual brilliance beyond anyone in the game currently but he's had it easy enough.

It would be interesting to see Messi move to an English team and to see that team have a bad season......and whether or not he could carry the team in the same way other great players have. Don't see it happening though.

rough translation

scotty parker is better because he monstered other teams in a bad west ham team
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:17 am

He and Ronaldo are the two best players ever, who's better I wouldn't like to say. I'd love to see Ronaldo with Xavi and Iniesta providing the bullets for him though.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:19 am

mauro=beast wrote:rough translation

Lol, I actually expected someone to mention Parker and be sarcastic about it.

I rate Parker because he's a good player....but he's hardly carried West Ham has he?......they're doing shit anyway. The critics overreact because he's a top 6 player at a relegation team.

The point is that Messi can't say "I won the World Cup on my own" (yet anyway) or "I carried an average team to glory". That doesn't make him a worse player....it just makes it harder to put how good he is in perspective with players who did do that...and didn't have the same luxuries Messi has had.

Last edited by Lux on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 am

also i would just like to say i do not beleive messi is best ever yet

but is surely not far away. he certainly only player i seen since i was born to be better then phenomenon ronaldo which is saying enough. maybe 2 years i will then say he is better then maradona and crujff
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 am

Lux wrote:
    mauro=beast wrote:rough translation

Lol, I actually expected someone to mention Parker and be sarcastic about it.

I rate Parker because he's a good player....but he's hardly carried West Ham has he?......they're doing shit anyway. The critics overreact because he's a top 6 player at a relegation team.
    He's the reason their only 2 points of relegation. God knows what state West Ham would be in without him.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am

I think he might just go down as the Greatest ever if he stay's fit and keeps playing for years to come. And if he keeps up stats like in his last 154 game's for Barcelona it will be hard to argue with.

LAST 154 Game's for Barcelona

PLAYED 154
    SCORED 137
    ASSISTS 52
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 am

Messi is easily the best player that I have ever seen. Better than Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Henry, etc. The only players that could stand in his path are Pele and Maradona. I haven't actually seen either play, but I still think Messi is better. The game has become more difficult since Pele and Maradona's time.

Also, it's not Messi's fault he can't win a World Cup. He still plays well for Argentina contrary to the popular myth. It's still early. Maybe one day Messi can lift the trophy for Argentina.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 am

ahlycotc wrote:Messi is easily the best player that I have ever seen. Better than Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Henry, etc. The only players that could stand in his path are Pele and Maradona. I haven't actually seen either play, but I still think Messi is better. The game has become more difficult since Pele and Maradona's time.

Also, it's not Messi's fault he can't win a World Cup. He still plays well for Argentina contrary to the popular myth. It's still early. Maybe one day Messi can lift the trophy for Argentina.

Messi this season is better than Maradona was at Napoli, and that's saying something.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 am

Messi and Ronaldo are a different level to everyone else

I used to think the best players in the world were ranked like this:

2006/2007 - Kaka > Ronaldo > Messi

2007/2008 - Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>>> Messi >>>>>>>> Kaka (Now Kaka is removed from the equation)

2008/2009 - Messi > Ronaldo

2009/2010 - Messi >>>>>>> Ronaldo

Now - Messi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldo

Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:20 am

Messi has always been better than Ronaldo. Just couldn't show it because of long injuries.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 am

ahlycotc wrote:Messi has always been better than Ronaldo. Just couldn't show it because of long injuries.

Ronaldo was successful in Europe's two biggest leagues, Messi has only played in La Liga, yes I still think Messi is better not but you can't say he was always better it was always a bit of a toss up
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:35 am

fluffy_kittens wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Messi has always been better than Ronaldo. Just couldn't show it because of long injuries.

Ronaldo was successful in Europe's two biggest leagues, Messi has only played in La Liga, yes I still think Messi is better not but you can't say he was always better it was always a bit of a toss up

I hate when people use that statistic. So what if he has been only in La Liga. Pele didn't play in either, can he not be considered the best ever?

I'm not taking anything away from Ronaldo. He has, is, and will be one of the best players to grace the pitch. But Messi has been a little ahead. The only thing stopping it from being obvious was his constant injuries. His talent didn't go away.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:36 am

I've maintained this stance for years, agreed.
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:40 am

It's hard to offer a truly accurate answer to this question. There have been players that not every football fan has heard of that were magical beyond all belief, in teams worse than Barcelona. I can name a few examples, Joseph Bican, who has a ridiculous goal to game ratio, Arthur Friedenraich, etcetera...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 am

Its a hard one to say who was the greatest player ever as football was different years ago aswell. I mean i think the players of years ago would liked to have played on the pitches of today. Back then the pitches were not always exactly fit for playing great Football. But Messi's stats are scary and he will go down as one of the Greatest if not thee greatest.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 am

Roloman4 wrote:It's hard to offer a truly accurate answer to this question. There have been players that not every football fan has heard of that were magical beyond all belief, in teams worse than Barcelona. I can name a few examples, Joseph Bican, who has a ridiculous goal to game ratio, Arthur Friedenraich, etcetera...
    I agree, but also back then i think they played with backies out and formation of 1 1 3 5 or something like that.
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 am

Liverpool fc 4 ever wrote:
    Roloman4 wrote:It's hard to offer a truly accurate answer to this question. There have been players that not every football fan has heard of that were magical beyond all belief, in teams worse than Barcelona. I can name a few examples, Joseph Bican, who has a ridiculous goal to game ratio, Arthur Friedenraich, etcetera...
    I agree, but also back then i think they played with backies out and formation of 1 1 3 5 or something like that.

That is true, back in the early days, the field was much less balanced. I still think it's infinitely complicated to devise an answer, to think otherwise is just frivolous.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:51 am

Woody wrote:Messi and Ronaldo are a different level to everyone else

I used to think the best players in the world were ranked like this:

2006/2007 - Kaka > Ronaldo > Messi

2007/2008 - Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>>> Messi >>>>>>>> Kaka (Now Kaka is removed from the equation)

2008/2009 - Messi > Ronaldo

2009/2010 - Messi >>>>>>> Ronaldo

Now - Messi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldo

Next season - Camp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Messi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ronaldo
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:23 am

I think Ronaldo would look even better then he already does if he was in Barcelona's team.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 am

He wouldn't fit in to the team.
    LeBron

Formerly known as : Spider
    Supports : Man Red.

Post by LeBron Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:29 am

Ronaldo >>>>>>> Messi.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:35 am

Messi >>>>>>> Ronaldo
    Trig
    Trig

Formerly known as : And0TheGr8

Post by Trig Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 am

Will be between he and Ronaldo when it's all said and done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 pm