Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Dean
Ricardo
Zzonked
arsenalap11
Sean
Mal
Jamie
11 posters

Fabregas interview

Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Fabregas interview Empty Fabregas interview

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 am

Cesc Fábregas has voiced grave misgivings over Arsenal's refusal to spend big in the transfer market, saying the club must decide whether they want to "go out to win or to develop players".

Fábregas has revealed his frustration at Arsenal's failure to take the "final step" on the eve of his team's to Tottenham Hotspur, when they will attempt to revive their faltering Premier League title challenge. He also said that the managers of the top clubs in his native Spain would not survive three years without winning a trophy. Arsène Wenger's Arsenal have won nothing since the FA Cup in 2005.

"If you went to Spain and said to [Pep] Guardiola, [José] Mourinho or Unai Emery [the Valencia manager] that they would have three years without winning a trophy, it would be obvious they would not continue [at their clubs]," the Arsenal captain said.

"Here, it is different, the manager is intelligent and the club value different things: that the team is always in the Champions League, that we compete until the end, that we have young players, economic stability. For the board, this is important. But I imagine there will be a moment when you have to decide: do you win things or not?

"When I started here, we won the Cup [in 2005] and got to the Champions League final [in 2006]. Barça beat us with an extra man and it was not a victory but it was the first time that the club had got to a Champions League final. Millions of players had played here and it was us that did it.

"But from 2007 on, I started to say: 'We don't win but we play very well.' And after that you realise that it doesn't work. You enjoy it, during a part of the season, like this year when we were in four different competitions and you say: 'Here, I have it all.' But then you cannot make the final step and it is here where a decision has to be made: to go out to win or to develop players."

Fábregas, who joined Arsenal as a 16-year-old from Barcelona at the beginning of the 2003-04 season, said he had enjoyed learning from the club's Invincibles [who were unbeaten that season]. But he lamented the lack of experienced "reference points" in the current squad.

"I was in a winning team and it was impressive," he said. "You felt that if you had a bad game, nothing happened because your team-mates helped you. Now, a lot has changed, and I am the man that everyone looks to. I don't like to say it but it is true. If I play badly, I take responsibility and the pressure of the supporters. Only me and [Robin] Van Persie remain of that generation, and we have a lot of responsibility. Me and Van Persie learned from the best. Now it is different because we are all so young and there is nobody you look at and say: 'Wow.'

"Young players learn from the older ones. Now, it is more complicated. If you put [Jack] Wilshere in the team that played before … it is different. I am not saying better or worse. Before, there were reference points, winning and strong players and playing with them, you learned faster."

Fábregas has been heavily linked over the past two summers with a return to Barcelona and it feels inevitable that the saga will be reprised once more. "The day that I leave Arsenal, it will be with my head and not just because," Fábregas said. "And who says you will play in your new team? Or that you will develop? Here, I have a lot of luck on a personal level – despite not winning a lot – and I am doing very well.

"I speak with [Carles] Puyol, who says that he didn't win a thing until he was 26. Patience and hard work are the most important things in life. You will not see me [convinced by an ambitious project]. And if one day I leave Arsenal, it will never be to sign for another English club. That is for certain."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/19/arsenal-cesc-fabregas-arsene-wenger

Wow. Laughing

He's massively pissed off, seems to be criticising Wenger too.

Thoughts? I agree with him, Arsenal have the wrong attitude.
    Mal
    Mal

Fabregas interview Empty Re: Fabregas interview

Post by Mal Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 am

I fully agree with him.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:29 am

You don't deserve him Fabregas interview 279869
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:29 am

Pretty honest interview, I wasn't expecting one so harsh as that.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 am

Can't blame him, he's put up with 6 years of 'next year will be our year'
    arsenalap11
    arsenalap11

Post by arsenalap11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:31 am

To be fair, it's not that brutal. He's being honest and nothing he's said anyone wasn't thinking. He's not said anything bad about the club or Wenger, he's just said we are lacking in certain things to be champions.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 am

I agree with a lot of it.

There's something that's just not quite right with the current Arsenal. I remember when they were the team, impossible to beat. Now they are prone to losing stupid games which the should dominate, like the West Brom one. I think it might be because the transfer climate has changed, Arsene always sells for a high price so never gets to hang onto the really good players, which may happen with Fabregas too.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:34 am

arsenalap11 wrote:To be fair, it's not that brutal. He's being honest and nothing he's said anyone wasn't thinking. He's not said anything bad about the club or Wenger, he's just said we are lacking in certain things to be champions.

"If you went to Spain and said to [Pep] Guardiola, [José] Mourinho or Unai Emery [the Valencia manager] that they would have three years without winning a trophy, it would be obvious they would not continue [at their clubs]," the Arsenal captain said.

How is that not about Wenger?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:34 am

They just need experience.
    arsenalap11
    arsenalap11

Post by arsenalap11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:34 am

Fine Shagger wrote:
    arsenalap11 wrote:To be fair, it's not that brutal. He's being honest and nothing he's said anyone wasn't thinking. He's not said anything bad about the club or Wenger, he's just said we are lacking in certain things to be champions.

It's about Wenger yes but it's not slating him per say..
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:35 am

I read it as slating him. He's being about as blunt about it as he can.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 am

Did anyone else read that with a Spanish accent?
    arsenalap11
    arsenalap11

Post by arsenalap11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:39 am

Fine Shagger wrote:I read it as slating him. He's being about as blunt about it as he can.

Meh, I don't. I think he's just saying that Arsenal are sticking with him even though he's not won anything recently, and then goes on to say why.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 am

arsenalap11 wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:I read it as slating him. He's being about as blunt about it as he can.

Meh, I don't. I think he's just saying that Arsenal are sticking with him even though he's not won anything recently, and then goes on to say why.

Yeah he says he's only still here because the club don't care about winning trophies. That's pretty scatching if you ask me.
    Ricardo
    Ricardo

Post by Ricardo Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 am

Echo of the fans' thoughts...

I will have to add that clubs bigger than Arsenal have gone far longer than 6 years without a trophy though.
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 am

I found it hard to disagree with a lot of what Fabregas was saying there. I found it as a kind of plea from Fabregas to Wenger to go and spend and buy leaders and experience. Because I do genuinely think Fabregas doesn't like the pressure he has on his shoulders and so he shouldn't.

It's a burden to him, he's not fucking old enough to cope with it all, what people forget is, he's only 24 and he's probably the most experienced player in the squad. It all falls on him and when it comes tumbling down, is there really any one in the squad to put an arm round him and help him? No because there aren't any players to do that. He even states that himself by saying "It's only me and Robin from the invincible's era"

You look at Gerrard, made captain at a young age, yes, but look at the players he had around him? Hyypia, Hamann , Carragher, Fowler, Smicer, Pellegrini...

This man seeks a move to Barcelona, but I think he knows himself, it might not happen yet.

Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:26 am

He's been held back
    Walcott
    Walcott

Supports : Arsenal & Lewis Hamilton.

Post by Walcott Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:32 am

Cesc Fàbregas Soler

Incredible that people try and twist
    everything to make headlines. Arsene Wenger has had a huge impact on me
    and my career. Great man.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:35 am

Backtracking already Laughing
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:37 am

I said something pretty much the same as this to polska about Arsenal and their trophy winning.. got told it was a 'plastic fan mentality'.

Looks like Fabregas is a massive plastic then.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 am

luke. wrote:I said something pretty much the same as this to polska about Arsenal and their trophy winning.. got told it was a 'plastic fan mentality'.

Yes, Polska thinks I have the wrong attitude because I don't think 2nd place is something to be proud of.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:39 am

Fine Shagger wrote:
    luke. wrote:I said something pretty much the same as this to polska about Arsenal and their trophy winning.. got told it was a 'plastic fan mentality'.

Yes, Polska thinks I have the wrong attitude because I don't think 2nd place is something to be proud of.

It's not really though. No-one wants to run around saying, 'Oh look at me, I came 2nd!'. You'll look like a prick Laughing
    arsenalap11
    arsenalap11

Post by arsenalap11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 am

Fine Shagger wrote:Backtracking already Laughing

Why would he backtrack? He's a smart guy, he knows what to do with the press. He wouldn't have said something to the press, only to deny it later on. If he said the media twisted it, then that is probably what they've done.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 am

Twisted it? They are direct quotes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 am

Walcott wrote:Cesc Fàbregas Soler

everything to make headlines. Arsene Wenger has had a huge impact on me
    and my career. Great man.

Cesc Fàbregas Soler
    everything to make headlines. Arsene Wegner needs to move on for Arsenal
    to win trophies. Thanks Arsne.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 am

They've only interpreted what he said for the headline.

The quotes are real Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 am

Fine Shagger wrote:

Your blinding yourself with your anti-Wenger-ness.

He goes on to talk about that the club has a different attitude. He isn't criticizing Wenger.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:54 am

polska. wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

He goes on to talk about that the club has a different attitude. He isn't criticizing Wenger.

Yeah he says it has an attitude of not caring about trophies. In the midst of an interview centred around how Arsenal need to start winning trophies that is without doubt a criticism.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 am

It's more a case of Arsenal fans Wenger goggles being strapped on too tight to see the real daylight of the situation, then us being anti-Wenger.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 am

Fine Shagger wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

Yeah he says it has an attitude of not caring about trophies. In the midst of an interview centred around how Arsenal need to start winning trophies that is without doubt a criticism.
    He isn't criticizing anything. He is saying that at Arsenal the board value different things than that of Valencia/RM/Barca.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 21, 2024 8:01 am