Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+38
Hernandez_14
Jordi
Potato-7
Dean
Mal
dena
Dink
Trig
AriseForLife
easley91
Lux
Zzonked
SBSP
arsenalap11
GK01
Steadman
El Jefe
Coatsy
Danny
Theo Filippo
Sean
Dr. Ján Ĩtor
fluffy_kittens
Walcott
chiboygeorge
The Zlatan
Muse
Scuba Steve
Jord
Jamie
Ricardo
samiz
Barton
Ben
Fanatic
mac
Marvin
jeb4eva
42 posters

Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year

Anonymous

Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year - Page 5 Empty Re: Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year

Post by Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:00 am

Steadman wrote:Are people being serious when throwing around these stats? Stats will never show the whole picture.
    With or without stats, he doesn't deserve it.
    Steadman
    Steadman

Supports : I have humor, yes.

Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year - Page 5 Empty Re: Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year

Post by Steadman Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:18 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Steadman wrote:Are people being serious when throwing around these stats? Stats will never show the whole picture.
    With or without stats, he doesn't deserve it.
    I never said he did, not even top 3 for me.
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Don't think he should of got it in my opinion, good player? Yes. Outstanding player? Far from it.

Thing that's baffles me is, isn't this award meant to be for the 'best' player this season in the league? Is Gareth Bale really the best the Premier League has got to offer in terms of overall footballing ability?

Problem With Bale is...you 'KNOW' what is coming 10 minutes before he does it. He will get the ball, look up at the defender, point forward to exactly where he is going, and then he will blow by them like they are standing - they just can't stop him because he is is too fast for them. Even Maicon cannot stop someone who is just miles faster than anyone else on the park. Not only that, he must have Kuyt's lungs because he can ran fast for longer than anyone else can. He is like a sprinter who can run at sprint speed in a marathon. It's phenomenal. HOWEVER...

Effective as hell, but a one trick pony all the same. If you take away straight pace and made him humanly slower, his other tools wouldn't stand out that much. I could find you many wingers/wing backs who can put in a good cross, difference is, he just does it at 200 mph.

He'll be an effective full back, but he'll never EVER be a great winger. Your great wingers do have pace to go past people, but the difference is they are also wizards with the ball at their feet where they can dribble every which way, and trick defenders to the point you don't know whether they are coming or going. They get past player on pure ability and skill, perfect example has to be Ryan Giggs. Probably the best winger the Premier League has ever seen. He's what... 36/37? And he's still putting players legs in knots these days. Can you see Gareth Bale doing that when he's 37? I don't think so.

I'll be honest, Bale is a machine, he's probably one of the best physical athletic footballers I've seen, very much the modern day footballer. Problem is, that doesn't last forever. And once that starts to go, he won't be half as effective.

dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:28 pm

As always, a long, thoughtful, eloquent post from Dean. But I don't think I'm the only one here when saying half your post doesnt matter shifty

PotY and even MOP (Most Outstanding Player) awards are given out on a year to year basis because the criteria is who has performed well over the past year, Bale's ability, positional sense, and even ranking in a Premier League's best player list are irrelevant, because it's about who's been the best player this year, I'd say that goes to Nani, but does he crack my Premier League top 5? Probably not. The real crime here is why Bale was even nominated, his PL season has been average at best and outside of his destruction of Maicon he didn't do much in the CL from what I remember. Players shouldnt be allowed to decide these awards, most are simps. I say give it to the journo's.
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 pm

dena wrote:As always, a long, thoughtful, eloquent post from Dean. But I don't think I'm the only one here when saying half your post doesnt matter shifty

PotY and even MOP (Most Outstanding Player) awards are given out on a year to year basis because the criteria is who has performed well over the past year, Bale's ability, positional sense, and even ranking in a Premier League's best player list are irrelevant, because it's about who's been the best player this year, I'd say that goes to Nani, but does he crack my Premier League top 5? Probably not. The real crime here is why Bale was even nominated, his PL season has been average at best and outside of his destruction of Maicon he didn't do much in the CL from what I remember. Players shouldnt be allowed to decide these awards, most are simps. I say give it to the journo's.

I. You're right there, just 'really' needed to get my point across. shifty
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor

Formerly known as : XxBradKennedyxX

Post by Dr. Ján Ĩtor Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:49 pm

he didnt do anything in the cl? oh dear

he was easily our best player in the 2 legs against young boys, put chances on a plate for pav and crouch time an time again and single handedly almost, he pulled us into the group stages.
    He then set up both goals in the first group stage game vs werder bremen, before we crumbled.
    He then won a penalty and scored a goal vs fc twente.
    scored a hat-trick vs inter at the san siro.
    destroyed them on the return leg.
    He played a huge part in the 3rd goal in the 3-0 win against bremen.

then was injured for the milan games, he was probably our best attacking player vs madrid too, caused ramos a lot of trouble with barely any support.
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor

Formerly known as : XxBradKennedyxX

Post by Dr. Ján Ĩtor Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:56 pm

also dont forget its an april-to-april thing, end of last season he was so important in getting us 4th place, scored absolutely crucial goals vs arsenal and chelsea, honestly, some of you are terribly under rating him right now, i dont think he shoudlve won it but you guys are acting as though hes completely garbage.
    Potato-7
    Potato-7

Supports : Olympiakos

Post by Potato-7 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 pm

I dont think he deserves it either but you people are acting like he is Ali Dia or something. Laughing
    He is a great player and I think he will be world class in 2-3 years.
    He can get past defenders quite easily and his crossing is pretty good.If spurs bring in a quality striker bale will be much better next season.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 pm

What an absolute joke facepalm

Nani is far more deserving of the award itself, and he wasn't even nominated! Neutral
    Hernandez_14
    Hernandez_14

Formerly known as : Braad
    Supports : Manchester United

Post by Hernandez_14 Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Without question, Bale is a great player. But he does not deserve this. He's been great for Tottenham, but I could name others that have been better.
    bcfcben

Supports : Birmingham City

Post by bcfcben Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 am

I can't believe Ben Foster wasnt up for the award, he has been the best goalie in the Prem this season and topped it off with MOTM in the Carling Cup Final
    LiamB_22
    LiamB_22

Post by LiamB_22 Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:10 am

Bale over Berbatov, Nasri and Nani scratch
    This is typical british media bias
    Here are the latest facts: Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year - Page 5 Biasedagainstberbatov

An absolute shocking revelation. This statistic proves that British people ARE biased towards other British people.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:13 am

LiamB_22 wrote:Bale over Berbatov, Nasri and Nani scratch
    Here are the latest facts: Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year - Page 5 Biasedagainstberbatov

An absolute shocking revelation. This statistic proves that British people ARE biased towards other British people.
    Tbh, you're always going to get the majority of winners being English, seen as it's obviously the most represented nation in the Premier League... Neutral

And isn't this voted by the players anyway? shifty
    LiamB_22
    LiamB_22

Post by LiamB_22 Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:15 am

Danny wrote:

Tbh, you're always going to get the majority of winners being English, seen as it's obviously the most represented nation in the Premier League... Neutral

And isn't this voted by the players anyway? Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year - Page 5 279869
    Yes the players vote but the media delude players and readers alike making out that bale is very good technically when infact he is technically enept and comparing him to Ryan Giggs.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 am

Uh-oh Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:17 am

1997–98 Dennis Bergkamp Arsenal FWA
    1998–99 David Ginola Tottenham Hotspur FWA
    1999–00 Roy Keane Manchester United FWA
    2000–01 Teddy Sheringham Manchester United FWA
    2001–02 Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United FPY
    2002–03 Thierry Henry Arsenal FWA, FPY [21]
    2003–04 Thierry Henry Arsenal FWA, FPY [22]
    2004–05 John Terry Chelsea
    2005–06 Steven Gerrard Liverpool
    2006–07 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United FWA, FPY, YPY [23]
    2007–08 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United FWA, FPY [24]
    2008–09 Ryan Giggs Manchester United [25]
    2009–10 Wayne Rooney Manchester United FWA, FPY [10]
    2010–11 Gareth Bale Tottenham Hotspur [26
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 am

It's not biased towards English or British, if it was why wasn't Andy Carroll nominated in any category? Fact is, it's just poorly done and the award in general is a farce.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 am

Considering the award began about 20 years before the influx of foreigners, your point is just a heap of shit.
    LiamB_22
    LiamB_22

Post by LiamB_22 Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 am

LFCJordan wrote:

1997–98 Dennis Bergkamp Arsenal FWA
    1998–99 David Ginola Tottenham Hotspur FWA
    1999–00 Roy Keane Manchester United FWA
    2000–01 Teddy Sheringham Manchester
    United FWA
    2001–02 Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United FPY
    2002–03 Thierry Henry Arsenal FWA, FPY [21]
    2003–04 Thierry Henry Arsenal FWA, FPY [22]
    2004–05 John Terry Chelsea
    2005–06 Steven Gerrard Liverpool

2006–07 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United FWA, FPY, YPY [23]
    2007–08 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United FWA, FPY [24]
    2008–09 Ryan Giggs Manchester United [25]
    2009–10 Wayne Rooney Manchester United FWA, FPY [10]
    2010–11 Gareth Bale Tottenham Hotspur
    [26
    British and ROI. Would you care to explain how Dimitar Berbatov did not make the nominees and Bale did?
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 am

Go away.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 am

Because despite being the leading scorer, he's not been that good.

If you were to list the top 3 United players this season, highest he'd get is 3rd, if he's lucky.
    LiamB_22
    LiamB_22

Post by LiamB_22 Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:26 am

Danny wrote:Because despite being the leading scorer, he's not been that good.

If you were to list the top 3 United players this season, highest he'd get is 3rd, if he's lucky.
    Berbatov, Van Der Sar, Vidic and Nani have been inspirational. Nani clicks with Berbatov like Rooney does with Valencia. It just shows how much of a strong side we are that Berbatov could not even make the top 3 peformers for United this season i disagree entirely however and think he should be number 1
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 am

LiamB_22 wrote:

Berbatov, Van Der Sar, Vidic and Nani have been inspirational. Nani clicks with Berbatov like Rooney does with Valencia. It just shows how much of a strong side we are that Berbatov could not even make the top 3 peformers for United this season i disagree entirely however and think he should be number 1

rofl
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:30 am

LiamB_22 wrote:

I wonder why that is.
    LiamB_22
    LiamB_22

Post by LiamB_22 Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:32 am

LFCJordan wrote:
    LiamB_22 wrote:

Bale wins PFA Player Of The Year - Page 5 70955
    scratch 19th premier league title, champions league semi final and robbed in the fa cup Rolling Eyes

Danny wrote:
    LiamB_22 wrote:

I wonder why that is.
    He has by far been our strongest player i find it a disgrace Ferguson is refusing to start him. Its as if he doesnt want to win trophies scratch
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 am

Robbed in the FA Cup? Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 am

Why is Liam back?
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 am

LiamB_22 wrote:He has by far been our strongest player i find it a disgrace Ferguson is refusing to start him. Its as if he doesnt want to win trophies scratch
    It's because Rooney and Hernandez are in better form, and the partnership they are developing is one of the best we've had for a while.
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 am

LiamB_22 wrote:
    Danny wrote:
    LiamB_22 wrote:

I wonder why that is.
    He has by far been our strongest player i find it a disgrace Ferguson is refusing to start him. Its as if he doesnt want to win trophies scratch

My friend, Rooney and Hernandez have formed a formidable partnership, even more effective then playing Berbatov.
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 am

Get the ban card out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:18 am