Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Scuba Steve
Dean
Uncle John from Jamaica
dena
Danny
Sean
ram_cr7
LeBron
Barton
Lux
Jordi
Scouser_Dave
Cadbury
luke.
Mal
19 posters

Your best football memory.

Anonymous

Your best football memory. - Page 2 Empty Re: Your best football memory.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:48 am

James wrote:None of your memories have beaten mine cos you haven't been there. Maybe forest does if he actually went there and isn't bullshitting again. Your best football memory. - Page 2 50121

I actually was there, both the World Cup and the Forest v Yeovil game.

We drove out there the day before Germanys game against Argentina and stopped at some campsite in Essen. Took the train to Gelsenkirchen the next day to watch the Germany-Argentina, France-Brazil games in the Fan Fest (Better atmosphere than the grounds by a mile tbh), then took the train to Gelsenkirchen the next day for England. Drove back the next day in disapoinment.
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 am

JMB_94 wrote:Every Liverpool fan is gonna come in here and say Istanbul '05. Rolling Eyes Laughing

...and?
    Have we accomplished anything greater in our lifetimes?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 am

It would be too easy to pick one of the countless moments that I have had to live through via the television ('94, '98, '02, '06, '10 WC or many MLS matches). And there have been plenty of games that I have been to live which have been very special moments.

The one that stands out for me most recently though was the final World Cup qualifier last October. We had already clinched our spot in the World Cup, but we still had a chance to finish ahead of Mexico. Unfortunately, the day before the game, Charlie Davies, one of our two starting strikers, was injured in a car crash. It was a highly emotional night all the way around, but I met my brother up at the stadium for the game, and since we waited so long to get tickets, we ending up sitting alongside the Costa Rican supporters.

Despite having the better of the chances in the first half, we went into the break down two goals, thanks to two wonderful efforts from Bryan Ruiz ( not worthy )

But we never gave up in the second half, when it seemed like we would lose the game, and Mexico would top the group. But a scrappy goal from my favorite player, Michael Bradley pulled one back for us with 25 minutes to go.

Despite the effort, it just seemed like it wasn't in the cards for us that night though. Chance after chance went begging, and a second goal just didn't seem to be in the cards. But in the 94th minute, Landon Donovan won a corner, that the much maligned Robbie Rogers sent in, and the much maligned Jonathan Bornstein headed home to even the score at 2. It didn't mean much for us in terms of qualification, but given everything that had happened, it was a wonderful moment.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 am

JMB_94 wrote:Every Liverpool fan is gonna come in here and say Istanbul '05. Rolling Eyes Laughing

What else would you expect us to say? It's possibly the greatest game ever played.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 am

Dan wrote:

What else would you expect us to say? It's possibly the greatest game ever played.

Watching the highlights still sends shivers up and down my spine. Can't believe I was only 15. Doesn't seem right lol, feels more recent but it's not.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 am

Scuba Steve wrote:It would be too easy to pick one of the countless moments that I have had to live through via the television ('94, '98, '02, '06, '10 WC or many MLS matches). And there have been plenty of games that I have been to live which have been very special moments.

The one that stands out for me most recently though was the final World Cup qualifier last October. We had already clinched our spot in the World Cup, but we still had a chance to finish ahead of Mexico. Unfortunately, the day before the game, Charlie Davies, one of our two starting strikers, was injured in a car crash. It was a highly emotional night all the way around, but I met my brother up at the stadium for the game, and since we waited so long to get tickets, we ending up sitting alongside the Costa Rican supporters.

Despite having the better of the chances in the first half, we went into the break down two goals, thanks to two wonderful efforts from Bryan Ruiz ( not worthy )

But we never gave up in the second half, when it seemed like we would lose the game, and Mexico would top the group. But a scrappy goal from my favorite player, Michael Bradley pulled one back for us with 25 minutes to go.

Despite the effort, it just seemed like it wasn't in the cards for us that night though. Chance after chance went begging, and a second goal just didn't seem to be in the cards. But in the 94th minute, Landon Donovan won a corner, that the much maligned Robbie Rogers sent in, and the much maligned Jonathan Bornstein headed home to even the score at 2. It didn't mean much for us in terms of qualification, but given everything that had happened, it was a wonderful moment.

tl;dr
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:33 am

dena wrote:
    Scuba Steve wrote:It would be too easy to pick one of the countless moments that I have had to live through via the television ('94, '98, '02, '06, '10 WC or many MLS matches). And there have been plenty of games that I have been to live which have been very special moments.

tl;dr

lol wut? What a Face
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 am

Too long; didn't read. Razz
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 am

Dumb yanks like us couldn't read that much even if we wanted to.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:15 am

I would have just narrowed that down to Red Bull supporters...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 am

Rangers getting to the UEFA Cup Final tbh Teeth
    bcfcben

Supports : Birmingham City

Post by bcfcben Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:59 am

Blues beating Nowich at the Millenium to finally reach the Premier League
    Or Blues v Villa in the first ever Prem derby, 3-0 Enckelman you hero Your best football memory. - Page 2 914411
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:00 am

Frogs falling apart in South Africa.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:01 am

Drogba and Ballack going apeshit on the ref at the end of their Champions League tie with Barcelona.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:03 am

menalawyerguy wrote:Frogs falling apart in South Africa.

Who do you support?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:05 am

US and A
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 am

Just to be different I'll say the celebrations after beating Chelsea in the semi-final. Wish I was there, atmosphere was fucking electric.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 am

menalawyerguy wrote:US and A

No club team?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:15 am

Sean CFC wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:US and A

No club team?

Nah, not really. I have no basis for connecting with any one team in particular. And I'm not going to jump onto one of the powerhouse's bandwagons just to glory hunt. I enjoy watching Barcelona and Arsenal play, but I don't particularly care if they win or not (in fact, I enjoy watching Wenger go apeshit when they lose). I also like watching certain players like Xavi, Messi, Fabregas, Ronaldo (even though personality wise, I think he's a rank cunt), etc. But no one team I have a vested interest in. I suppose if I had to pick I'd pick Everton, Fullham, Wolves or Aston Villa because they have prominent Yanks. But that's my only objective criteria for picking. I like Edu but I can't support Rangers because I'm Catholic. I don't even have an MLS team because I am from Detroit and we don't have a team. The closest teams are Chicago and Columbus. But based on regional rivalries, I can't bring myself to route for any teams from Chicago or Ohio.

So basically, I'm wanderer, nomad, vegabond, call me what you will.
    Uncle John from Jamaica
    Uncle John from Jamaica

Post by Uncle John from Jamaica Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:48 am

Must be odd for you, liking football but having no team to cheer on for large periods at a time!
    Uncle John from Jamaica
    Uncle John from Jamaica

Post by Uncle John from Jamaica Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:54 am

Must be odd for you, liking football but having no team to cheer on for large periods at a time!
    moscowmadeit3
    moscowmadeit3

Supports : Emm-You-Eff-See

Post by moscowmadeit3 Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:57 am

Too many really.

Has to be the whole 1999 treble winning season. FA Cup semi final replay v Arsenal, Juventus in the CL, Bayern in the CL final.

Also, all the last minute winners we have done. Beating Liverpool in the FA Cup final, King Erics amazing goal.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 am

yarnbury11 wrote:Must be odd for you, liking football but having no team to cheer on for large periods at a time!

A bit. Tell ya what though...it's not as stressful. I've lost years on my life over Stanley Cup Playoff games and World Series games. But with football, I can just sit back and enjoy and view everything from an entirely unbiased viewpoint. It's kinda nice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:34 pm