Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
vel
Zzonked
Dagbon
Moose
Jordan Henderchip
The Zlatan
SBSP
Ra's al Ghul
Glen Miller
Keyser Söze
dena
Free_Mustache_Rides
mauro95
Stranger
Scuba Steve
Scouser_Dave
Mason19294828838822
Vela
Theo Filippo
Grenade
menalawyerguy
Jordi
ResurrectionRooney
Scott_LFC
28 posters

Summer Transfers 2014

Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Summer Transfers 2014 - Page 13 Empty Re: Summer Transfers 2014

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:41 am

Now you're just putting words in my mouth to help your cause. You're hopeless. I didn't say that.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Now you're just putting words in my mouth to help your cause. You're hopeless. I didn't say that.
     rofl 

You must feel so embarrassed.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Scuba Steve wrote:You're right. I assumed when people said retirement league, they meant retirement league. Otherwise they wouldn't have called it a retirement league. I can see where the confusion is.

Hold on, you seriously thought it meant that all the players were old?  You fucking idiot. It means that the best players only go there when they are approaching the age where they have to leave top level football.  They can still have young players surrounding them, the same way as retirement homes have staff under 60.
    rofl
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 pm

No one's putting words in your mouth. Why else would you even bring up average age?

Scuba Steve wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:Hate to see great players carry on at too high a level, he's only going to get embarrassed if he carries on in the Premier League.  He should either retire or go to a retirement home league in North America or the Middle East.

SBSP wrote:QPR are basically the retirement home of the Premier League.

Or, as is evident, the BPL is just as much of a retirement league as MLS.

And before you dumbasses respond with nothing to back up your claims -- here are the average ages of MLS teams at the start of this season and the average ages of BPL teams at the start of the 2013/2014. Really no differences.

And I will say, some of those minimum ages of the players can be very misleading. For example, D.C. United striker Michael Seaton was 17 at the time of the beginning of the season, when the list was produced, but he is 18 now. So, those numbers are decimal points higher now that the list is a couple of months old.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Surely with all the aging stars coming into the league, the average ages of our teams would be greater than that of the BPL?

Like I said, it's easy to push that retirement league agenda based on 5% of the players in the league and be wrong. But most people (you all seem to be exempt from that) use majorities to base judgement and define things.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Why would we use a majority when comparing between leagues? No league is going to have a majority of hasbeens, but the percentage of them is going to be higher in the MLS, Qatar, and Australia etc.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm

I talked about averages comparing leagues, not majorities.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:59 pm

You've completely missed the point. You're talking exclusively about ages, even though you say you're not. Nobodies putting words in your mouth, you're the one that brought up that shit.

The entire point was that big name has-beens that can't/don't want to compete at a high level of football end up at MLS teams. Even if Ferdinand is older than Villa it doesn't mean shit here, because the whole point is that Ferdinand is playing in the BPL while Villa has chosen the cushy MLS.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Where have I said I'm not talking about ages? That's all you guys want to talk about -- hence, retirement home. And good grief. Cushy MLS? You've really lost the plot. The last way anyone who knew anything about the league (clearing you of any obligation there) would know it's not cushy.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Robbie Keane is smacking them in at a rate that he never even managed at his peak in the Premier League. rofl "Retirement home," as has been stated, is more about the player's motivations and reasons for leaving, not necessarily his age, although the age undoubtedly has a huge role to play as older players are less able to excel at the higher level so they seek a cushy league ie Robbie Keane.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Fucking hell. You just said that RR and me were putting words in your mouth when we said you were taking "retirement home" as only about age. Make up your fucking mind.

The MLS isn't cushy? In comparison to the Kazakhstan Premier League, yeah it's probably not. But I'm clearly talking about in comparison to the top leagues in European football. In which case it is cushy, very cushy. And if you don't think so then I can't really carry on pandering to your delusions.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Oh you should have made it clearer. So because MLS isn't up to BPL's par (and no one is arguing against that), that makes it a retirement league. I definitely didn't think of it like that. Makes much more sense now. 

So that means all other leagues in the world are retirement leagues then. Silly Messi.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Keyser Söze wrote:Fucking hell. You just said that RR and me were putting words in your mouth when we said you were taking "retirement home" as only about age. Make up your fucking mind.

The MLS isn't cushy? In comparison to the Kazakhstan Premier League, yeah it's probably not. But I'm clearly talking about in comparison to the top leagues in European football. In which case it is cushy, very cushy. And if you don't think so then I can't really carry on pandering to your delusions.

Go ask Steve Zakuani how cushy the league is.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:Fucking hell. You just said that RR and me were putting words in your mouth when we said you were taking "retirement home" as only about age. Make up your fucking mind.

"He unsuccessfully tried out to join the senior teams of Queens Park Rangers, Wigan Athletic, AZ Alkmaar, and Real Valladolid shortly after"

He's not exactly a world beater who has struggled to make an impact, so what is your point?
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:Oh you should have made it clearer. So because MLS isn't up to BPL's par (and no one is arguing against that), that makes it a retirement league. I definitely didn't think of it like that. Makes much more sense now. 

So that means all other leagues in the world are retirement leagues then. Silly Messi.
    You know full well that wasn't his point. If you don't, I'm a little worried.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:31 pm

That's what he said. He bridged those arguments together to make his point, not me. Otherwise, why bring up Robbie Keane's goal scoring record?
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:35 pm

He brought that up because you said the MLS wasn't cushy when it clearly is compared to the Premier League. You think Robbie Keane would be banging them in in La Liga?
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:

I'm genuinely curious on what Steve Zakuani has to say that would disprove the idea that the MLS is cushy in comparison to the top leagues in European football.

Why did you bring him up?
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:Oh you should have made it clearer. So because MLS isn't up to BPL's par (and no one is arguing against that), that makes it a retirement league. I definitely didn't think of it like that. Makes much more sense now. 

Now it's pretty obvious you are being intentionally obtuse. Comparing the negligible and hotly debatable difference in quality between La Liga and the BPL to that of the MLS and BPL?  rofl 
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:27 am

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 50s
    Sky sources: Roma are leading chase to sign Ashley Cole
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:42 am

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Debuchy-proche-d-arsenal/480018

Seems certain now.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:45 am

"Nearly" €10million? That's pretty cheap.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:48 am

It strikes me as a really reasonable deal.
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:49 am

Keyser Söze wrote:"Nearly" €10million? That's pretty cheap.

Seems quite strange, maybe he's in the last year of his contract (?) or Mike Ashley doesn't give a shit anymore.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:50 am

Thought you lot were interested in Aurier?
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:55 am

Glen Miller wrote:It strikes me as a really reasonable deal.

That price is more than fair, just quite unexpected considering we're dealing with Newcastle. I thought they would have tried to get at least £12 million out of us.

Scouser_Dave wrote:Thought you lot were interested in Aurier?

Something changed, no one knows.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:56 am

The Zlatan wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:"Nearly" €10million? That's pretty cheap.

Seems quite strange, maybe he's in the last year of his contract (?) or Mike Ashley doesn't give a shit anymore.
    His contract runs till 2018.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130104/newcastle-complete-debuchy-signing_2281670_3030306

Newcastle always seem to offer long contracts. Haven't they just signed Siem de Jong on 6 year deal? Really odd to overcommit that much.

On Debuchy, if we do get him for £8million and his no doubt modest wages then it would represent great value when you consider a 31 year old Sagna wanted £150K a week on a three year deal.
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:02 am

I would have preferred to have kept Sagna but the wages he was after in the end were far too unrealistic for us. Debuchy should make a decent stop gap until Bellerin possibly fulfills his supposed high potential.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:14 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28177987

[size=30]Arsenal in Mathieu Debuchy and Alexis Sanchez talks[/size]
    Summer Transfers 2014 - Page 13 _75576717_photoBy David OrnsteinBBC Sport

Interesting
    Zzonked
    Zzonked