Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Copa America 2016

Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Copa America 2016 Empty Copa America 2016

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:20 am

The 45th edition -- the tournament celebrating 100 years of the Copa -- will be played in the grand ole USA.

Official confirmation will happen on Thursday. 10 teams from COMNEBOL, 6 teams from CONCACAF as it stands now.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Copa America 2016 Empty Re: Copa America 2016

Post by Glen Miller Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 am

What are your thoughts on this, Steven?  Is it a good move?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 am

In general, I'm a big fan of it. There's not much more I enjoy than meaningful international soccer, and this appears to bring that to my doorstep, which is fantastic. 

The only thing that is a bit problematic is the timing of it. I know COMNEBOL want to do their centennial celebration, but 2016 is a busy year, in all realms of sports. Euro that summer, Olympics that summer, World Cup 2018 qualifiers to deal with. It'll be a busy summer of 2016, and I'm not sure that the third best international tournament that summer will fare too well in terms of tv viewership (gates I think will be solid everywhere though).

There is also the possibility of Copa fatigue that year too. The next edition is in 2015, and I know COMNEBOL loves to change around the dates of the tournament to suit their needs, but back to back years of Copa might take the shine off of it a bit. 

But overall, I think it's a fantastic idea, even though it'll take away a Copa from a South American country.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sun May 04, 2014 2:56 pm

This tournament is rather exciting but it is considered a "special" edition of the Copa so the thoughts are that Argentina and Brazil might bring their B sides as the real tournament will take place in 2015in Chile.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:53 am