Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Mustangt125
Scuba Steve
Glen Miller
Weather130
SophisticatedBeggar
dena
10 posters

Copa America 2016: USA!

dena
    dena

Copa America 2016: USA! - Page 2 Empty Re: Copa America 2016: USA!

Post by dena Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:11 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Sounds like COMNEBOL might have jumped the gun a bit with this announcement. Apparently we haven't agreed to it yet (though we should).

COMNELOL
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:10 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Sounds like COMNEBOL might have jumped the gun a bit with this announcement. Apparently we haven't agreed to it yet (though we should).

Typical. Nicolas Leoz. facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:45 am

Comenbolas. -_-
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 am

I think the biggest obstacle remaining for this tournament to happen is whether or not FIFA will add it to their official calendar. If they don't, then club teams don't have to release players for the tournament, which would render the tournament rather useless.

But there will be a lot of pressure on FIFA to not allow the tournament on the calendar methinks. Clubs won't want to release players that late in the summer (assuming no overlap with Euros), and then there is also the Olympic tournament in Brazil that summer as well. So I think there are still a lot of logistical issues to work out before this becomes a reality.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 am

Ché Guayaba wrote: :lolo:

#LOLO

*first non-American (or living there) posting in here (I think), quick, think of something clever*

Me gustan los trenes

Spoiler:
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 am

Scuba Steve wrote:I think the biggest obstacle remaining for this tournament to happen is whether or not FIFA will add it to their official calendar. If they don't, then club teams don't have to release players for the tournament, which would render the tournament rather useless.

But there will be a lot of pressure on FIFA to not allow the tournament on the calendar methinks. Clubs won't want to release players that late in the summer (assuming no overlap with Euros), and then there is also the Olympic tournament in Brazil that summer as well. So I think there are still a lot of logistical issues to work out before this becomes a reality.

It seems strange this has not been finalized since the major US news outlets that would report this story have already done so. I think if you could somehow make this a 23 years and older tournament the issue with the Olympics could be dealt with since that is mostly 23 and under.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 am

Well they reported it because COMNEBOL told them it was a done deal.
    Kelloggg8

Formerly known as : QwertyKirby
    Supports : CF América, Toronto FC

Post by Kelloggg8 Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:26 am

Probably should have been held in South America but money speaks. Like the format.
    BigJ0526
    BigJ0526

Post by BigJ0526 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 am

Columbus will get the US-Mexico game to guarantee dos a cero. Open Ohio Stadium up like the old days with the Crew. 110k would be cake.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:06 am

only one problem with that theory shifty...
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 am

Mexico won't make it to the final?
    BigJ0526
    BigJ0526

Post by BigJ0526 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 am

And that is?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 am

Mexico - USA isnt a guaranteed game, and there is no way to determine where they would meet unless it was a group stage game.
    Kelloggg8

Formerly known as : QwertyKirby
    Supports : CF América, Toronto FC

Post by Kelloggg8 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 am

BigJ0526 wrote:Columbus will get the US-Mexico game to guarantee dos a cero. Open Ohio Stadium up like the old days with the Crew. 110k would be cake.

I agree dos a cero early on to then lose four to two. Copa America 2016: USA! - Page 2 2156770003
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

I wonder what the format will be for this tournament? I would not be surprised to see one of the groups with 4 CONCACAF teams. An all CONCACAF final would looked bad and something should be done to prevent that from happening.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:51 am

Don't think any of the Concacaf teams have much of a chance to reach the final to be honest.

Maybe Mexico, but that's a big maybe.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Weather130 wrote:I wonder what the format will be for this tournament? I would not be surprised to see one of the groups with 4 CONCACAF teams. An all CONCACAF final would looked bad and something should be done to prevent that from happening.

Weather you slay me.

I don't know how they would do it but I'd figure you have some seeds based on current FIFA ranking. Let's say the tournament starts tomorrow.

So top seeds would be:

Argentina (4)
    Uruguay (7)
    Colombia (9)
    Brazil (14)

Second:
    Chile (17)
    Mexico (19)
    Ecuador (20)
    USA (32)

Third:
    Paraguay (38)
    Venezuela (39)
    Panama (43)
    Jamacia (52)

Fourth:
    Haiti (52)
    Canada (61)
    Honduras (66)
    Bolivia / CR (72) -- Pre tournament playoff!!!!!

Fourth seeds are pretty bad at the moment, I expect Haiti to drop out by 2016 though.

So let's randomize these groups.

I have.

ARG MEX JAM BOL/CR
    URU ECU PAN HAI
    COL USA PAR HON
    BRA CHL VEN CAN

And there is your 2016 (but really 2012 Copa America 2016: USA! - Page 2 3925848005) Copa America groups ya'll.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:25 pm

More negotiations are needed before Copa America, the championship tournament for South America, is staged in the United States in 2016.

An announcement that the tournament would take place in the United States was made Wednesday by CONMEBOL, the confederation overseeing South American soccer. But it was premature, according to CONCACAF, which runs the sport in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"While the idea of a centennial tournament with some of the best teams in the hemisphere is certainly intriguing, it is not something we have agreed to host or participate in at this time," U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati said Thursday. "As CONCACAF stated, there are still a number of discussions that need to take place with CONMEBOL. U.S. Soccer would also need to be involved in discussions about hosting the tournament. We're looking forward to those discussions in the near future."

In July, CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb met with executive committee members of CONMEBOL in Sao Paulo to discuss collaborative opportunities between the two confederations. Among the items explored was the staging of a special Copa America in 2016 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of CONMEBOL that would involve CONCACAF's partnership and participation.

"Even though playing the 2016 Copa America in the CONCACAF region with our teams and those from CONMEBOL would be a wonderful experience for all fans, we are still in the midst of talks and negotiations between all parties involved in this decision," said Enrique Sanz, CONCACAF's general secretary. "This is an idea we are hoping to materialize, but we are still evaluating and discussing before it becomes official, but the intention is definitely there."

CONMEBOL said in its statement that a proposed tournament would include the 10 South American confederation teams, plus the United States, Mexico and four others from the CONCACAF region, which comprises North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The news was greeted by fans as a win-win on a multitude of levels. It would give the tournament a clear shot of adrenalin, especially given the game's expanding profile in North America. Factor in the United States' historical support for big events and the growing U.S. interest in competitions like the European championships, and you have a tournament that is bound to be well-attended.

It would potentially give U.S.-based fans the chance to watch squads loaded with hugely talented international stars such as Argentina's Lionel Messi, Brazil's Neymar, Colombia's Radamel Falcao, Mexico's Javier Hernandez and the U.S.'s Clint Dempsey. In addition, it would amount to a television rights bonanza for CONMEBOL.

The opportunity to host the tournament would be a coup for the U.S., as well, and would help ease the sting of losing out on the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

The event would potentially go head-to-head with the 2016 European championship in France, which will be expanded to 24 teams for the first time.

This is more like the actual story rather than the current CONMEBOL spin. I think this should work out but I am not completely sure about all of this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:58 pm