Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Carlos Jenkinson
Sean
Gegilworld93
VivaRonaldoLAD
ResurrectionRooney
Grenade
Lux
Laurencio
Zzonked
13 posters

Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet

Anonymous

Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet Empty Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:06 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-16511735

A footballer who posted a homophobic remark on a social media website has been sacked by his club.

Oxford City striker Lee Steele made a comment on Twitter about the gay former Wales rugby player Gareth Thomas.

Tweeting about Thomas's appearance on Celebrity Big Brother, Steele, 38, wrote a "strongly-worded" message about being in a bed near the contestant.

Oxford City manager Mike Ford said: "On this occasion Lee's had to pay for his error of judgement."

'Role model'

Mr Ford said calling the player to tell him he was sacked had been the toughest thing he had ever done in football but he felt that the Southern-Premier League club had made the right decision.

He added: "He's made a homophobic comment, that doesn't necessarily mean he's homophobic."

The former England rugby union international Ben Cohen has set up a foundation to combat homophobia and bullying.

Speaking to BBC Oxford earlier this week, he said: "If you are a sportsman you're a role model and people look up to you no matter what division you're in."

But he stopped short of calling for Mr Steele to be sacked, saying it should have been a lesson learnt.

Mr Steele has declined to make any comment since the tweet was published.

Zzonked
    Zzonked

Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet Empty Re: Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet

Post by Zzonked Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

I'm glad they took a strong stance on this, most footballers/teams/fans seem like they're living in a different era when it comes to homophobia. It shouldn't be acceptable in any forms, but imagine if a big player came out as gay. He'd get a ridiculous amount of abuse.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet Empty Re: Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet

Post by Laurencio Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

It's a good decision, but he probably wouldn't have been sacked if he was a 25 year old up and coming star. Just an excuse to get rid of him I reckon.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

Unlucky Lee.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

Laurencio wrote:Probably wouldn't have been sacked if he was a 25 year old up and coming star. Just an excuse to get rid of him I reckon.

I also thought that. He's scored 37 times in 58 apps the past 2 years though, so it's not like he's been completely shit.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 am

Zzonked wrote:I'm glad they took a strong stance on this, most footballers/teams/fans seem like they're living in a different era when it comes to homophobia. It shouldn't be acceptable in any forms, but imagine if a big player came out as gay. He'd get a ridiculous amount of abuse.

It'd be better if a high profile player came out as gay. He'd get abuse just for being the first one but it might persuade others to come out too.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 am

This decision is gay
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 am

Footballer sacked for homophobic tweet Gym-locker-room-naked-old-guy-meme-generator-phaggots-everywhere-e8a17e
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:16 am

Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:I'm glad they took a strong stance on this, most footballers/teams/fans seem like they're living in a different era when it comes to homophobia. It shouldn't be acceptable in any forms, but imagine if a big player came out as gay. He'd get a ridiculous amount of abuse.

It'd be better if a high profile player came out as gay. He'd get abuse just for being the first one but it might persuade others to come out too.

Probably, but he'd have to have a very very thick skin. It could potentially ruin his career if he didn't.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 am

Just imagine if Ronaldo came out. Would be epic.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:18 am

Liverpool should have done this with Suarez.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:18 am

Ljungberg is a queer i believe.

Fucking love that pillow biter.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:22 am

Good to see one club in England has principles when it comes to discrimination.
    VivaRonaldoLAD
    VivaRonaldoLAD

Supports : Giggsy 12-0 Gerrard

Post by VivaRonaldoLAD Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:23 am

What was the tweet?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:24 am

"I wouldn't fancy the bed next to Gareth Thomas #padlockmyarse"
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:24 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Good to see one club in England has principles when it comes to discrimination.
    Too bad their players are better at frisbee than football.
    VivaRonaldoLAD
    VivaRonaldoLAD

Supports : Giggsy 12-0 Gerrard

Post by VivaRonaldoLAD Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:"I wouldn't fancy the bed next to Gareth Thomas #padlockmyarse"

rofl
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:26 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:"I wouldn't fancy the bed next to Gareth Thomas #padlockmyarse"
    Laughing
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:29 am

It's also a good point that footballers are role models for their club's fans. Take John Terry, he (allegedly) called Anton Ferdinand a fucking black cunt, and the Chelsea fans immediately took up the baton, singing 'Anton Ferdinand, you know what you are' at the next game. Luis Suarez made racist and abusive comments towards Patrice Evra, and Liverpool fans everywhere started giving Evra unfair abuse, and being racist to everyone from Evra himself to their former striker Stan Collymore.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 am

The tweet is kinda funny Laughing

But yeah, correct decision to sack him.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Santon is gay shifty
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:37 am

I would fancy the bed next to *insert hot girl who is on cbb* #unlock my penis

Should I be sacked for sexism?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:39 am

Lux wrote:I would fancy the bed next to *insert hot girl who is on cbb* #unlock my penis

I don't know, but his tweet insinuates that the gay guy is going to fuck him against his will, simply because he's gay.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Lux wrote:I would fancy the bed next to *insert hot girl who is on cbb* #unlock my penis

I don't know, but his tweet insinuates that the gay guy is going to fuck him against his will, simply because he's gay.

I am insinuating that a woman will want to fuck me, simple because she's a woman.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:41 am

Lux wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:I don't know, but his tweet insinuates that the gay guy is going to fuck him against his will, simply because he's gay.

I am insinuating that a woman will want to fuck me, simple because she's a woman.
    I don't know, it seems more like you want to fuck her..
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:42 am

Yea, I dont understand that mindset, some guys seem to think that just because someone is gay that automatically means they want to fuck them Laughing
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:44 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Lux wrote:

I don't know, it seems more like you want to fuck her..

Ok well....if I said "Put me in a bed next to *insert hot girls name form CBB*..she will be gagging for it".....then?

Sean wrote:Yea, I dont understand that mindset, some guys seem to think that just because someone is gay that automatically means they want to fuck them Laughing

Some people do, I've seen some really homophobic people who get extremely angry even if you pretend to do gay stuff Laughing.

I think most are just joking though.....
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:41 am

Sean wrote:Yea, I dont understand that mindset, some guys seem to think that just because someone is gay that automatically means they want to fuck them Laughing

It's the same mindset you have when you talk about girls Neutral
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:45 am

Fonseca wrote:

It's the same mindset you have when you talk about girls Neutral

You dont think all girls want to fuck you, well maybe some people do but I certainly dont Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:46 am

Scott only says he gets all the pussy because cats stare at him.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 am

No noo I mean guys tend to objectify women and say "I'd fuck her" and what not

Because the person who's gay is a guy, they expect him to have the same mentality

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:27 pm