Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Sean
Andy
ResurrectionRooney
Grenade
El_indian
Childish Logic
LFC_Grunners
11 posters

Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in

Poll

?

[ 7 ]
    Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in - Page 2 Bar_left64%Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in - Page 2 Bar_right [64%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in - Page 2 Bar_left36%Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in - Page 2 Bar_right [36%] 

Total Votes: 11
    Clark
    Clark

Supports : Atheism

Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in - Page 2 Empty Re: Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in

Post by Clark Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:04 am

I hear to obtain Greek citizenship you need to know the language, and there system works shifty

Thankfully I can become one in a few years.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in - Page 2 Empty Re: Should immigrants learn the language before being allowed in

Post by mac Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 am

Agree for RR for the most part. If I wasn't born in Canada or didn't grow up in the U.S., I doubt English would be my first language and would likely have a difficult time learning it. Although, I'm against immigrants who move to new countries for the long term and refuse to learn English. It's understandable if they don't learn it immediately but they should start picking it up within a few years of immigrating. Also, good knowledge of the English language in regards to writing and communicating should be a requirement for citizenship for countries like the U.S., UK, Canada and Australia for the younger generation or those who plan to work. I'd imagine it would be hard for someone 60+ years to learn English and adjust to western culture. So, the younger generation or their children should learn the language and assimilate. When I mean assimilate, I don't mean completely forget their roots and culture but to adapt some western cultural norms.

I actually plan on studying abroad in London next year and although I appreciate the cultural diversity of the city, I'd want to be able to communicate with everyone including "immigrants" in English and not in their native tongue.

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:20 pm