Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Grenade
Theo Filippo
Mal
Gegilworld93
CoVkId01
Sean
Jord
TheRangersFan
Kuled
ResurrectionRooney
Jamie
Ben
dena
17 posters

Any tips for Interviews?

Anonymous

Any tips for Interviews? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any tips for Interviews?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 am

Prentend you own this shit, works for me (In my prefect and Work expirence interview anyway). Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:32 am

So here are some tips that I have learned from experience and a whole course on the matter...

- Do your research. Get to know a lot about the company and industry as a whole. The person interviewing you might ask questions that require you to know about the company and industry. Even if they don't, try to work your knowledge in the discussion to show the person you did your research. You also want to make it look like you are interested in this specific company and not just any company in the industry that is willing to hire you (even if that may really be the case). A good way to show that is by knowing as much as possible about the specific company. A good source is the company's website.

- Arrive about 10 minutes before your scheduled interview. You never want to be late to an interview because it gives the employer a bad first impression. If you can't make it on time to an interview, then you are most likely going to be late everyday you work there. You also don't want to be too early to your interview. If you arrive more than 10 minutes to the office, stay put in your car until 10 minutes before your time. The employer might be working on something or in a middle of an meeting before your scheduled interview. Let them finish what they are doing in peace.

- Dress appropriately. Most of the time, this means dress professionally (suit, tie, dress pants, dress shoes, etc.). It may differ depending on the environment of the interview setting or the type of job you are trying to get. Use your common sense. Also take a shower and brush your teeth before the interview. Do not put on cologne or perfume because the employer might be allergic and uncomfortable throughout the interview in a tight room. Your safest bet is just using deodorant.

- Practice possible questions before hand. You can't just go into an interview and "wing it". If you really want to look sharp, you need to be prepared. Questions in an interview typically fall into two categories: behavioral questions and job related questions. Your interview could contain both categories or just behavioral. It wouldn't hurt t ask the employer what format the interview will be while you are scheduling your appointment. They won't tell you which questions they will specifically ask, but some common behavioral questions include:
    - What is your biggest strength and weakness?
    - Tell me a little about yourself.
    - How have you dealt with a previous failure?
    - Tell me of a time where you had to deal with a angry customer or coworker.
    For example with the first question, never tell the employer that you don't have any weakness. That's just a lie. Whatever your answer is, make sure to mention how you are improving it or trying to improve it. Also don't pick a weakness that is really bad. On the other side, don't sound cocky when naming a strength of yours. The main point is to always answer a question in detail. With job related questions, review things you studied in college or wherever. These type of questions will be technical (i.e. How is the Dow Jones performing these days?)

- Quantify your results. This mainly applies to your resume/CV. You always want to use as many numbers and statistics when describing your tasks. Instead of saying "I managed clients' accounts" use "I managed accounts of 100 clients with a total value of $1 million". Try to quantify results during the interview as well.

- Never talk bad about a previous employer. Even if you hated them, don't talk bad about them. You can use criticism to describe a previous employer or coworker, but don't go too far with it. The employer you are interviewing with might think that you will do the same to them later.

- Body language. Use firm handshakes. Sit up straight in the chair, lean forward. Use your hand while talking to convey interest. Smile. Treat everyone with respect (from the person interviewing you to the person opening the door for you). You never know if the person opening the door for you is in on it too.

- Thank the person for their time. Get a business card or contact information if you don't already have it. If the hiring decision will take place the same day or within a couple of days, send a thank you email after you leave the interview. If the hiring decision will take place later than that, send a handwritten letter in the mail. In the email or letter, reiterate your appreciation for being interviewed/considered. Also reiterate why you are interested in the job. Some employers will not consider a candidate if they do not send a thank you letter (they won't specially ask for one, so do it anyways).

- Relax and be honest in your interview. Don't be too honest if it's going to throw you out of the hiring decision. Use your common sense here. If you are relaxed, you will be able to think about what you are going to say and not stumble on your words.

- Ask questions. Usually the employer will give you a couple of minutes near the end of the appointment to ask any questions you have. Use this period to ask questions. Don't ever leave the appointment without asking a single question. Even if they did a good job explaining everything beforehand, I'm sure there is something you can think of. But watch out for asking stupid questions.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:32 am

Adz wrote:Prentend you own this shit, works for me (In my prefect and Work expirence interview anyway). Laughing

Don't do this. That's just arrogant and you will not be looked at nicely. There is a difference between confidence and arrogance.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 am

I've always struggled when they've asked me about my weaknesses, I just have to make something up.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:I've always struggled when they've asked me about my weaknesses, I just have to make something up.
    Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 am

Trollolo Laughing
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:I've always struggled when they've asked me about my weaknesses, I just have to make something up.
    not worthy
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:57 am

Any tips for Interviews? - Page 2 914411 Hall of fame worthy Any tips for Interviews? - Page 2 914411
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 am

What he's saying is partly true though, it's hard to say anything without it counting against you so you often make something up. In my interviews I've had so far I've always said that my handwriting is a weakness.

If you say that you're not that determined, hard working, punctual, detailed, flexible or anything like that you'll probably not get the job.

Last edited by Ben on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 am

Always research. I've walked into interviews and been asked questions they completely expected me to have known.....and I'm like "Whut?"..

It's not all about what's on your CV.....you need to show a passion and interest in the job, in many cases that is more important than anything.

I got my current job because I blagged that I'm a golf fanatic. I play golf, I know golf and I can talk about golf, but I'm no fanatic. In the end......getting in is the hardest thing....you'll find that a lot of daunting things about jobs are actually quite simple.......it's not good to claim things you can't justify at all.....but if you can exaggerate, tell white lies and have substance to it...then that will take you far enough. After that of course...it's about actually proving that you're not just talking shit so you can't waltz into a job that just isn't for you.

Also.....always be prepared to see weaknesses and questions they might ask you about. Take it from their prospective.....and think about how to turn it into a positive.

and do not forget to ask questions. Don't just talk about yourself.....involve them in the interview. Ask them about career prospectives...what the company can do for you....even why they themselves joined. Companies want people who are bright and want to progress.....so showing that attitude in an interview will do you a lot of good.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:09 am

Come out with one of those shitty 'statement of intent' lines like they have on The Apprentice, eg:

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon" smug
    or if they ask you about multi-tasking again, say
    "I'm not a one trick pony, I'm not a ten trick pony, I've got a field of ponies, waiting to run at this job"

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:13 am

Use foul language to emphasise things you feel strongly about, and don't apologise for it. Employers like people who are passionate.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 am

I know a lot of people are lulzing about this but I've always had trouble answering this too. Neutral
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 am

Perhaps you should say you are too arrogant.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 am

Perhaps.

I prefer to say I have a strong belief in myself though.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:42 am

dena wrote:

I know a lot of people are lulzing about this but I've always had trouble answering this too. Neutral

Sometimes you cause jealousy in the workplace.
    Sheppy
    Sheppy

Post by Sheppy Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 am

I work in a hotel and see people getting interviewed so I'm your man for this one.

- Be very polite and thankful for the interview
    - Know about the hotel (history etc)
    - Know about the current/future events at the hotel and mention them
    - Dress very smart (not too businessy though, no need for a jacket)
    - Speak slowly but strongly
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 am

Hardest question for me is always "What is your greatest achievement"......

I look back and can't take anything that seriously Neutral
    Uncle John from Jamaica
    Uncle John from Jamaica

Post by Uncle John from Jamaica Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:18 am

I got asked in an interview 'can you describe a situation where you have had to act quickly to help a colleague out' and I just pictured this crazy scene in my head where my mate I used to work with in my old job was getting hassle from an old woman returning something that wasn't faulty, it only flashed into my head for a split second but once I'd started making the story up I somehow managed to play it along into something reasonable. They must have liked it cause I got the job. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:28 pm