Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Ben 10
The Zlatan
Sean
7 posters

Creative Writing Tips?

Anonymous

Creative Writing Tips? Empty Creative Writing Tips?

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:07 am

Can anyone please give me any advice or tips on creative writing please?
    Sean

Creative Writing Tips? Empty Re: Creative Writing Tips?

Post by Sean Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:11 am

Might need to be a bit more specific, what are you having trouble with?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:15 am

Anything really, erm how to mindmap your best ideas, coming up with ideas in the first place, using adjectives to describe settings and characters.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:17 am

IIBentII39 wrote:Anything really, erm how to mindmap your best ideas, coming up with ideas in the first place, using adjectives to describe settings and characters.

Surely you just answered your own question there?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:20 am

RobynVanPersie wrote:
    IIBentII39 wrote:Anything really, erm how to mindmap your best ideas, coming up with ideas in the first place, using adjectives to describe settings and characters.

Not really, I presume there are many other things to make a piece of creative writing good besides, using adjectives to describe settings and characters.
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:23 am

Creative writing tips?

Listen to your teacher.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:25 am

IIBentII39 wrote:
    RobynVanPersie wrote:

Not really, I presume there are many other things to make a piece of creative writing good besides, using adjectives to describe settings and characters.

Similes, personification, etc.

Shouldn't they be teaching you this in English?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:30 am

They are.

But I thought that maybe because most people on here are in college or even older, that you could help me with things that I might not have learnt in school before.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 am

Maybe you'd be best posting an article that you have already written for others to give you some constructive criticism.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:59 am

Jelavic9|RFC wrote:Maybe you'd be best posting an article that you have already written for others to give you some constructive criticism.

I wouldn't say an article is an example of creative writing.

On another note, is Creative Writing a GCSE now, or is it just part of an English GCSE? I don't get how you can teach people to be creative.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:01 am

RobynVanPersie wrote:
    Jelavic9|RFC wrote:Maybe you'd be best posting an article that you have already written for others to give you some constructive criticism.

On another note, is Creative Writing a GCSE now, or is it just part of an English GCSE? I don't get how you can teach people to be creative.

Well I've never done anything like this before.

Yeah it's part of the English course.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:04 am

Do you have an assignment due? Hard to know where to begin if not.

IIBentII39 wrote:
    RobynVanPersie wrote:On another note, is Creative Writing a GCSE now, or is it just part of an English GCSE? I don't get how you can teach people to be creative.

Well I've never done anything like this before.

Yeah it's part of the English course.

Well that's a relief.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 am

We're starting a topic of Horror stories on either Friday or after Christmas.

Was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips or advice to prepare me for it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:17 am

IIBentII39 wrote:We're starting a topic of Horror stories on either Friday or after Christmas.

Was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips or advice to prepare me for it.

Follow these simple steps:

1. Turn up to the lesson.

But on a serious note, I don't quite get how they plan on teaching people to be creative. It's one of those things where you've either got it or you haven't.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:22 am

RobynVanPersie wrote:
    IIBentII39 wrote:We're starting a topic of Horror stories on either Friday or after Christmas.

But on a serious note, I don't quite get how they plan on teaching people to be creative. It's one of those things where you've either got it or you haven't.

Well yeah I guess so, so you're saying I'm either going to be good or bad at this naturally?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:52 am

IIBentII39 wrote:
    RobynVanPersie wrote:

Well yeah I guess so, so you're saying I'm either going to be good or bad at this naturally?

Like you said in the OP, it's all about thinking of good ideas. Some people are full of them when it comes to writing stories, scripts, etc. and others just aren't. But since it's just for a GCSE, your teacher should cover every technique you'd need to get marks in your coursework and/or exams.

If you go on to pursue writing afterwards, those techniques will obviously come in handy but if you haven't got the ideas in the first place then there's little point.

You'll probably find out more when you start doing assignments. If after a few weeks you still find it interesting and still have some enthusiasm for it, that's the best you could hope for.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:54 am

RobynVanPersie wrote:
    IIBentII39 wrote:

Like you said in the OP, it's all about thinking of good ideas. Some people are full of them when it comes to writing stories, scripts, etc. and others just aren't. But since it's just for a GCSE, your teacher should cover every technique you'd need to get marks in your coursework and/or exams.

If you go on to pursue writing afterwards, those techniques will obviously come in handy but if you haven't got the ideas in the first place then there's little point.

You'll probably find out more when you start doing assignments. If after a few weeks you still find it interesting and still have some enthusiasm for it, that's the best you could hope for.

Okay, thank you for your help Smile
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:57 am

You are welcome. Even if it turns out that Creative Writing isn't your cup of tea, the techniques you'll learn will come in handy for most sorts of prose anyway.

So stay in school, kids.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:00 am

RobynVanPersie wrote:You are welcome. Even if it turns out that Creative Writing isn't your cup of tea, the techniques you'll learn will come in handy for most sorts of prose anyway.

So stay in school, kids.

I think I'll enjoy it rather than studying books or poems but it just all depends if I am any good at it I suppose.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Post by Ben 10 Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:01 am

RobynVanPersie wrote:

RobynVanPersie wrote:

Someone from our exam board came in and did a 3 hour lesson on how to improve your writing among other things. Our story was you had to write a story how your mum embarasses you.

The tips definately helped me, went from a C to an A.

Bent what Exam board are you on?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:14 am

Ben 10 wrote:
    RobynVanPersie wrote:

RobynVanPersie wrote:

Someone from our exam board came in and did a 3 hour lesson on how to improve your writing among other things. Our story was you had to write a story how your mum embarasses you.

What did you write about?

Can you remember any of the tips?

I think it is AQA, not sure though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 am

Ben 10 wrote:Our story was you had to write a story how your mum embarasses you.

I suddenly have the urge to write my autobiography.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Post by Ben 10 Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:53 am

IIBentII39 wrote:
    Ben 10 wrote:

What did you write about?

Can you remember any of the tips?

I think it is AQA, not sure though.

My mum came into school and confronted the headteacher about something Laughing

Can't really remember the tips, just focus on a particular plot, like focus on the main thing you want the story to centre around, and build your story around that.
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 am

Creative Writing is shit and so is fucking English

no matter how much effort I put into my work I always get the same fucking mark Neutral

I got help on Creative Writing from my teacher (he just kept reading over it and told me what to add) he said it was one of the best he'd seen in a long time

I get it back and get a fucking Achieved.

EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING I DO IN ENGLISH IS ONLY GOOD ENOUGH TO ACHIEVE (I think thats like a C in England)
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:30 am

So the time has come.

I need inspiration and ideas.

A horror story. With a slight link to Macbeth (not relevant yet though) Written from 2 peoples perspectives, alternating between villian and victim with each paragraph.
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:34 am

I never looked forward to these type of assignments.

Fuck I hated them.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:38 am

King Carlos wrote:So the time has come.

A horror story. With a slight link to Macbeth (not relevant yet though) Written from 2 peoples perspectives, alternating between villian and victim with each paragraph.

The victim is a cat, the killer is MacBeth's dog. Keep the fact that they are animals a secret until the end and it will be a M. Night Shyamalan style twist. Works every time. Cool
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:41 am

I never mind-map, doesn't really flow.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:46 am

Zzonked wrote:

The victim is a cat, the killer is MacBeth's dog. Keep the fact that they are animals a secret until the end and it will be a M. Night Shyamalan style twist. Works every time. Cool

Did Macbeth have a dog?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:52 am

Zzonked wrote:

Yeah I was going for a twist just can't think of a suitable one, and I don't think I'll use your idea Laughing

Isn't he the guy who directed/wrote The Village?

Eternal Witcher wrote:I never mind-map, doesn't really flow.

I think mind maps are good to get all your ideas down though.
    Cam wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Did Macbeth have a dog?

I doubt it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:19 pm