Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+35
CollieBuddz
El Jefe
Dr. Ján Ĩtor
Carlos Jenkinson
Mason
Fanatic
Jamie
MickStupp
ResurrectionRooney
Sean
jeb4eva
Cameron.
Hernandez_14
Steadman
LFC_Grunners
Dean
Keanoo
Ricardo
Zzonked
Coatsy
Kuled
Marvin
The Zlatan
Muhkoo
luke.
moscowmadeit3
Pimp
easley91
Childish Logic
Weather130
El_indian
fluffy_kittens
SBSP
dena
Scuba Steve
39 posters

UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga

Poll

Who will win the final?

[ 21 ]
    UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga Bar_left84%UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga Bar_right [84%] 
    [ 4 ]
    UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga Bar_left16%UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga Bar_right [16%] 

Total Votes: 25
    Poll closed
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga Empty UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga

Post by Scuba Steve Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Shame this game doesn't have a thread yet. Gordon and I are out to inform ya'll though. Kickoff is what, 7:45 GMT I assume? Or whatever time you guys use. If anyone has probable lineups, that would be fun to share.

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo
    Assistants: Roberto Alonso Fernandez, Jesus Calvo Guadamuro
    Fourth official: David Fernandez Borbalan

Here is a preview from Soccernet by Dominic Raynor (complete with his prediction):

Dublin will play host to the first all-Portuguese Europa League final when Porto meet Braga at the Aviva Stadium on May 18 but the near neighbours couldn't be more different in terms of style and history.

Porto coach Andre Villas-Boas has constructed a fluid, attacking side, built around a hard-working midfield, that romped to the Portuguese Liga title with a massive 21-point margin over second-placed Benfica and scored three or more goals on eight occasions en route to this European final.

In his first season at Porto, former Academica de Coimbra coach Villas-Boas has resurrected the fortunes of a club that limped into third place in their domestic league to qualify for this competition last season. His immediate success, along with a relative lack of experience as both a manager and a player, has already seen the 33-year-old likened to another Estadio do Dragao mastermind, Jose Mourinho.

Despite going through the entire season unbeaten and amassing the most points in a 30-game Portuguese league season, Villas-Boas has been keen to distance himself from comparisons with the 'Special One' - joking he might be the 'Sh*t One' - but the Porto coach will certainly be hoping to follow in his predecessor's footsteps on Wednesday night. Mourinho won the UEFA Cup - the forerunner of the Europa League - with Porto in 2003 before establishing himself as one of the best managers in Europe by guiding the club to the UEFA Champions League title in 2004.

Porto are clear favourites heading into the match but unfancied Braga have produced more than one giant-killing feat this season and manager Domingos Paciencia will have his side believing they can pull off another one in the club's maiden European final. Since taking over in 2009, the 42-year-old former Porto striker, for whom he scored over 100 goals, has broken 19 club records. Last season's second-place finish was the highest in Braga's history and this term his team have been the surprise package in Europe.

Paciencia's side beat Arsenal, Celtic and Sevilla in the Champions League before dropping into the Europa League to claim the scalps of former European champions Liverpool and Benfica. Braga might not be as pleasing on the eye as Porto but their clinical counter-attacking style gets results. A solid base, married with South American flair in attack, has proven to be a winning formula. But unfortunately Os Arsenalistas head into the final with question marks hanging over the fitness of defenders Rodriguez and Miguel Garcia and striker Paulo Cesar.

Porto player to watch - Radamel Falcao: The Colombian striker is the Europa League's top scorer with 16 goals, surpassing Jurgen Klinsmann's 15-year record of 15 in one season. He scored four of those goals in the semi-final first leg against Villarreal. With Porto trailing by a goal at the break, Falcao inspired a second-half comeback to win 5-1 and virtually book a place in the final. His goalscoring exploits have made him a hit with the fans but as vice-captain he has a much wider role in the team. He will be a marked man.

Braga player to watch - Hugo Viana: Brazilian forwards Lima and Alan may take the limelight but it is the pinpoint passing of former Newcastle United midfielder Viana that supplies the bullets for their guns. Having regained his place in the starting XI following a battle with Luis Aguiar at the start of the season he has become a vital part of his manager's plans. Viana is also the man to watch from set pieces - it was his free-kick in the semi-final first leg that Vandinho glanced in to give his side a vital away goal.

Key Battle: Joao Moutinho v Custodio Castro: Moutinho was called a "rotten apple" by Sporting chairman Jose Eduardo Bettencourt when he joined Porto for €11 million in July but there has been nothing fetid about his performances at the Estadio do Dragao this season. The versatile central midfielder, who can play in both a defensive and attacking role, is the conductor in the Porto orchestra and has been an ever-present figure in the side. Braga enforcer Custodio will be the man charged with ruining the music in Dublin. The former Sporting player may have popped up with the winning goal in the semi-final second leg against Benfica but he is primarily in the side for his defensive ability in midfield and will have Moutinho in his sights.

Trivia: Porto's 13 victories in 16 European matches is the most in one season by a Portuguese club. Villas-Boas' side have also scored 43 goals and won all their away games.

Stat: Porto have put a cumulative five goals past Braga in three of the past four Portuguese Liga seasons - with Braga winning just one of those eight games.

Betting: Porto (1.44), the draw (4.33) and Braga (7.50) are all available at bet365, but Falcao to score first in a 2-1 Porto victory will get you 26.00.

Prediction: Porto beat Braga home and away in the Portuguese league this season and will probably get the better of them again.

Last edited by Scuba Steve on Wed May 18, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dena
    dena

UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga Empty Re: UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga

Post by dena Wed May 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Poll this ish up Simples
    SBSP
    SBSP

UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga Empty Re: UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga

Post by SBSP Wed May 18, 2011 2:21 pm

No one cares. Simples Except you three and Marvin probably. Dry Smile
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Wed May 18, 2011 2:24 pm

SBSP wrote:No one cares. UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga 225495 Except you three and Marvin probably. UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga 537999

agreed nobody cares, Europa league is shit
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm

dena wrote:Poll this ish up Simples

Done babe.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm

supporting Porto for Villas Boas
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Should be a great game. A Braga win would be good, but somehow I want the legend of Villas-Boas to take off.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed May 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Braga cheated against Celtic, so they should have been knocked out. Simples
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Wed May 18, 2011 2:52 pm

My seasonal job starts on Thursday so I cannot thanks these people for playing the game tomorrow or I would have missed the final. Back on topic now I feel that Porto will win tbis 2-0.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed May 18, 2011 2:55 pm

SBSP wrote:Braga cheated against Celtic, so they should have been knocked out. Simples

RAB said that Braga were shit when they knocked Celtic out, and now they are in an European final Laughing
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Wed May 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Braga

i'm skipping uni tmw to watch this Laughing
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Wed May 18, 2011 5:26 pm

fluffy_kittens wrote:
    SBSP wrote:No one cares. UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga 225495 Except you three and Marvin probably. UEFA Europa League Final: FC Porto versus SC Braga 537999

And yet we'll most likely be in it next year. I wouldn't call it shit, it's just not as good as Champions League. Still has some good teams in it, Porto and Braga for example, Porto have been class and Braga beat Arsenal in the Champions League Group Stage and IIRC (if wrong correct me) they only just got knocked out into the Europa League.

I'll watch it (unless it's on ESPN then I won't or if I feel crap and need sleep Razz).
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Woo, something to watch tonight cheers
    Pimp

Supports : Liverpool

Post by Pimp Wed May 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Hulk hattrick you heard it first Wink
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Wed May 18, 2011 6:34 pm

easley91 wrote:
    fluffy_kittens wrote:

And yet we'll most likely be in it next year. I wouldn't call it shit, it's just not as good as Champions League. Still has some good teams in it, Porto and Braga for example, Porto have been class and Braga beat Arsenal in the Champions League Group Stage and IIRC (if wrong correct me) they only just got knocked out into the Europa League.

I'll watch it (unless it's on ESPN then I won't or if I feel crap and need sleep Razz).

Of course next year I'll watch if we're in it but like it's so boring compared to the champions league every game i watched this season of Europa was like Metalisk Kharkiv vs someone else I never heard of and dont care about play to a scoreless draw. I feel so disconnected. Granted there were a few entertaining fixtures and teams here and there but overall it was a bore fest.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Porto comfortably. Would of been better if Benfica went through I think.

Didn't realise this was this week, assumed it would of been during the week before the CL final.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 pm

i am gonna miss this Cry
    moscowmadeit3
    moscowmadeit3

Supports : Emm-You-Eff-See

Post by moscowmadeit3 Wed May 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Porto should win it, that's my prediction any way.

Any know what channel it is on, in the UK?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Channel 5 Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Want to be beaten by the champions, just like last year.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Falcao will score 2
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 pm

dena wrote:Porto got this.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 pm

SBSP wrote:Braga cheated against Celtic, so they should have been knocked out. Simples

rofl

C'Mon Porto cheers
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Porto will win it, no doubt.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 pm

fluffy_kittens wrote:
    easley91 wrote:
    fluffy_kittens wrote:

Of course next year I'll watch if we're in it but like it's so boring compared to the champions league every game i watched this season of Europa was like Metalisk Kharkiv vs someone else I never heard of and dont care about play to a scoreless draw. I feel so disconnected. Granted there were a few entertaining fixtures and teams here and there but overall it was a bore fest.

It's probably more interesting than the Champions league in some cases. In the CL, it's The same teams every year which is boring unless you support one of those teams Laughing

I still like the CL though
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Wed May 18, 2011 10:55 pm

Its too bad only portguese teams seemed to take EL seriously. Was pretty dissapointed when Ajax got knocked out to Moskva, was hoping for Villareal after that but they just got steamrolled, my money is on Porto.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 pm

luke. wrote:
    dena wrote:Porto got this.

Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 11:46 pm

hehe
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Luke just copied me because I done something like that yesterday.

Rolling Eyes

shifty
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed May 18, 2011 11:56 pm

When?

I need to copyright that shit. Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:23 pm