Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
El Jefe
Jordi
dena
Drake
menalawyerguy
GCU
Simonc89
Keanoo
SBSP
Lux
Gegilworld93
ShakerMatty
Mal
Scuba Steve
Ricardo
Pippo
Zzonked
Marvin
Jamie
Sean
24 posters

Is the Championship the best second tier in football?

Sean

Is the Championship the best second tier in football? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Championship the best second tier in football?

Post by Sean Tue May 03, 2011 10:07 am

ahlycotc wrote:No, it's this league...

Is the Championship the best second tier in football? - Page 2 200px-NASL_Logo

USL>NASL
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Is the Championship the best second tier in football? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Championship the best second tier in football?

Post by Lux Tue May 03, 2011 10:08 am

polska. wrote:I remember checking statistics, your average is something like 10-12k, on par with Polish, Russian, Portuguese, Greek, Turkish, German second division leagues.
    The average attendance of Championship games is NOT 10-12k I can assure you of that.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/attend.html

That's an average of 17288.

It'll probably be higher next season as bigger clubs are coming up from League One (Scunthorpe who are now relegated had 5566 average Neutral....) ....and the teams probably coming down are well supported too.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue May 03, 2011 10:24 am

I say yes.
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 am

Fine Shagger just say the Segunda Division is better. Laughing
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 am

Keanoo ♥️ wrote:Fine Shagger just say the Segunda Division is better. Laughing

neu laugh
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Post by Keanoo Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 am

Is the Championship the best second tier in football? - Page 2 Kanyesmile
    Simonc89
    Simonc89

Post by Simonc89 Tue May 03, 2011 11:22 am

I'd say so. So competitive and you can never guess a result. Sheff Utd and Preston made play offs 2 years, got relegated this year. Very random.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 am

Keanoo ♥ wrote:Is the Championship the best second tier in football? - Page 2 Kanyesmile

What do you think is the best second division?
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Post by Keanoo Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 am

I only follow the Championship so I can't really answer that to be honest.
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am

Whats the actual context of that Kanye GIF? Laughing
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Post by Keanoo Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am

It was aimed at Fine Shagger Laughing
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue May 03, 2011 11:56 am

I mean why did Kanye actually do it, was he taking the piss out of someone Laughing
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Post by Keanoo Tue May 03, 2011 11:59 am

I don't have a fucking clue Laughing
    GCU
    GCU

Post by GCU Tue May 03, 2011 12:03 pm

hard to say but being american-australia i sort of have a small grasp of what to expect as we have players playing in a lot of second tier leagues in england, germany, italy, france, spain, and even holland.

i cant really say which is better but like first tier leagues, you can see that the style is different in every league. but quality itself, its just way to hard to judge although like polska, i would say in the past serie b was on a completely high level than the other second tiers but things have changed now.

and hey, serie b in brazil is very good, so dont just restrict yourself to european leagues
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Sean wrote:I mean why did Kanye actually do it, was he taking the piss out of someone Laughing
    I think it's Kanye laughing, just rewinded.

Oh yah, forgot about Brazil. Serie B clubs would pummel Championship sides.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 pm

polska. wrote:I think it's Kanye laughing, just rewinded.

Championship > Brazil Serie A gay

Really though, I can imagine some teams in the Championship being better than the lower teams.....but becuz dey cnt do skilz Chumpionshup obv wurserer
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Tue May 03, 2011 7:22 pm

This is from the end of the 08/09 season.

The Football League is enjoying its highest attendances for nearly 50 years, with crowds topping the 16m mark for a fifth consecutive season.

Over 16.35m fans attended the 1,656 matches played in the 2008-09 season, an increase of 1% on the previous year.

The Championship is currently the fourth most-watched league in Europe, with a total audience of 9.9m fans.

That figure is likely to be bettered only by the Premier League, Germany's Bundesliga and Spain's La Liga.

Attendances at matches in the Championship rose by 5% during 2008-09 and averaged 17,891.

Crowds for matches in League One and League Two averaged more than 7,500 and 4,100 respectively - figures that continue to dwarf those at comparable levels of the game in Europe's other major footballing nations.

League One crowds are 40% greater than those in Germany and more than three times higher than those recorded in Italy and France.

League Two crowds are almost three times those of German football and four times those of the Italian game.

"Attracting more than 16m fans to matches for the fifth consecutive season is further proof that Football League clubs provide an outstanding experience for supporters," said Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney.

"I am particularly encouraged that more and more families are going to watch their local League club.

"Given the prevailing financial climate, maintaining this progress will be a significant challenge for clubs. A number of clubs are already using innovative pricing policies to enable them to continue making live football accessible to everyone in their local community."
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 8:17 pm

polska. wrote:
    James ♠️ wrote:
    Mal wrote:5th most popular league in the world. Is the Championship the best second tier in football? - Page 2 28973

Is that supporter wise? Or just in terms of watching?

I do wonder where we'd be in terms of attendances.
    I remember checking statistics, your average is something like 10-12k, on par with Polish, Russian, Portuguese, Greek, Turkish, German second division leagues.

Yeah that is definately not true.

Like Mal said, attendance is over 17k. Razz That should rise with Preston and Scunthorpe dropping out of the league and Brighton, Southampton and hopefully Huddersfield coming up.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue May 03, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote="polska. wrote:
    Sean wrote:I mean why did Kanye actually do it, was he taking the piss out of someone Laughing
    I think it's Kanye laughing, just rewinded.

Really? Brazil's second teir is way better than England's second teir eventhough Brazil's first teir doesn't compare to England's first teir? Well, most Premiership sides would pummel most Championship sides. So following through on this, what you are saying logically implies that Brazil's second teir sides are about as good as Premiership sides.

You're taking the piss, right?
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Tue May 03, 2011 9:00 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:
    Really? Brazil's second teir is way better than England's second teir eventhough Brazil's first teir doesn't compare to England's first teir? Well, most Premiership sides would pummel most Championship sides. So following through on this, what you are saying logically implies that Brazil's second teir sides are about as good as Premiership sides.

You're taking the piss, right?

No it's true.

Also Poland's league is better than Brazil's 1st league so the only better league is Serie A Hurr Durr Derp Derp
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue May 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Edited to hide stupidity. Guitar
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Zzonked wrote:
    Mal wrote:This is from the end of the 08/09 season.

The Football League is enjoying its highest attendances for nearly 50 years, with crowds topping the 16m mark for a fifth consecutive season.

Over 16.35m fans attended the 1,656 matches played in the 2008-09 season, an increase of 1% on the previous year.

The Championship is currently the fourth most-watched league in Europe, with a total audience of 9.9m fans.

That figure is likely to be bettered only by the Premier League, Germany's Bundesliga and Spain's La Liga.

Attendances at matches in the Championship rose by 5% during 2008-09 and averaged 17,891.

Crowds for matches in League One and League Two averaged more than 7,500 and 4,100 respectively - figures that continue to dwarf those at comparable levels of the game in Europe's other major footballing nations.

League One crowds are 40% greater than those in Germany and more than three times higher than those recorded in Italy and France.

League Two crowds are almost three times those of German football and four times those of the Italian game.

"Attracting more than 16m fans to matches for the fifth consecutive season is further proof that Football League clubs provide an outstanding experience for supporters," said Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney.

"I am particularly encouraged that more and more families are going to watch their local League club.

"Given the prevailing financial climate, maintaining this progress will be a significant challenge for clubs. A number of clubs are already using innovative pricing policies to enable them to continue making live football accessible to everyone in their local community."

That doesn't make sesne.

If the average is 17k then:

46x17,000x24= 18 million

But the article says they have had 9.9 million fans. scratch

Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Your math is wrong because you're counting every game twice. That's 17,000 per game. Each game involves two teams. So by multiplying that number by 46 for each team, you're actually counting each games attendance twice.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    Mal wrote:This is from the end of the 08/09 season.

That doesn't make sesne.

If the average is 17k then:

46x17,000x24= 18 million

But the article says they have had 9.9 million fans. scratch

Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Your math is wrong because you're counting every game twice. That's 17,000 per game. Each game involves two teams. So by multiplying that number by 46 for each team, you're actually counting each games attendance twice.

I know, I realized after posting. Laughing
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue May 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Giggity
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Tue May 03, 2011 9:35 pm

I prefer league 1 now Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Lux wrote:
    polska. wrote:I think it's Kanye laughing, just rewinded.

Championship > Brazil Serie A gay

Really though, I can imagine some teams in the Championship being better than the lower teams.....but becuz dey cnt do skilz Chumpionshup obv wurserer

Actually I think Brazilian Serie A clubs would be able to give the top European clubs a well run for their money.

There is so much depth and quality in Brazilian football and Brazil is such a large country that it is very competitive and there are lots of great clubs. One of the top teams can easily have a sloppy season and find themselves relegated to the Serie B, such as Corinthians two years ago. The quality of players also extends down to the Serie B obviously...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm

What sort of logic is this polska?

The top Brazilian clubs have talent relative to their level, especially with the big returns, but let's not bs. There's is only one thing a big Brazilian club playing a big European club will do, defend and counter.

The size of Brazil has nothing to do with the distribution of talent. All of the big clubs are either in Sao Paulo(4), Rio(3), Minas Gerais(2), Rio Grande do Sul (2), and Parana (2). Some of the clubs are big in name only right now. The talent level falls off in the rest of the states. The parity in the league is down to a number of factors. Clubs being disrupted mid-season by rampaging European clubs, playing B sides in league games because of bigger competitions, internal crises, ridiculous coaching turn-over etc.

Big clubs going down is usually a combination of these factors. That doesn't have any correlation with the talent in the 2nd division. Goias are probably one of the best teams down there. QPR would clobber them. The 2nd division is not that good.

Last edited by Rei on Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Polska just got dunked on.
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Tue May 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Not for the first time either.

Should really stop talking crap about the Brazilian league. Mischief
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Tue May 03, 2011 10:57 pm

I say yes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:26 am