Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Technology in Football?

El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Technology in Football? Empty Technology in Football?

Post by El_indian Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:15 am

Goal-line tech is awesome.
    Those spray cans are top.

Should we give the referee access to video replays? 

I'm still 50/50 on the issue. 

I think (maybe?) the referee should be allowed access to replays for penalty incidents and bad challenges - situations were there is a pause in play immediately afterwards - ref's discretion. Perhaps limit the number of replays they are allowed to 1 or 2 per game. 

I don't think replays can be used for open-play offside calls, this is a particularly tricky area. Maybe in the future when drones can be be scanning the pitch in real-time. 

--------------

Now the other side of the argument is that, replays may potentially disrupt the flow of the game

And (copy paste): Soccer is played and officiated by human beings and they all have their frailties. Many enjoy the fact the sport is subject to the unpredictability of human nature. It is played by humans, so it should be officiated by them. Soccer has never relied on technology but always been a great spectacle. Why change now? 

Incorrect decisions make for fascinating debate among fans and the media. Would a major attraction of the game be removed if replays were introduced?
    If there is one thing that fans love as much as soccer, it's talking about it afterwards. Much post-match discussion among friends is about a referee's decisions. It makes for lively debate, while the media rely on contentious decisions to fill column inches. Where would radio phone-ins and Internet forums be if, in theory, all decisions were called correctly in a match?

I agree with both sides.

discuss...
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Technology in Football? Empty Re: Technology in Football?

Post by Zzonked Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Offsides: no.

Red cards + penalties: no. Most are too open to interpretation and you can't always make a decision in a quick enough time. 

Mistaken identity: definitely. This is the most obvious one, just be a allowed to double check you're sending off the right person, because it's happened a few times recently.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:11 pm

How about the video ref has a maximum of 10 or so seconds to view replay? If he's still undecided go with original decision....

~ same amount of time players take to argue their case to the referee.

Obvious penalties are often missed. Newcastle had one in the weekend.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:57 pm

I used to be all in favour of this but I realised something really important when studying economics. Random elements in the game - lucky bounces, the wind, bobbles on the pitch, injuries, guesses, "form" etc. - diminish the advantages that teams with superior footballing ability have. They're the reason that the Premier League doesn't finish with one team with 114 points, reducing by 6 until you get to the bottom team with zero. The human referee who sees things from 20, 30, 40 yards and makes a best guess is one of the biggest consistent random elements in football.

Apart from any of the practical problems in implementing it (and they are myriad) it would be the single biggest change to the game since 1871. I don't know if that's something that's even desirable, there'd be less upsets, less unpredictability and probably less interest. Maybe it would be better if we just accepted that sometimes teams get fucked over by mistakes and treat it as another element of luck in the game rather than something that needs solving.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:19 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:I used to be all in favour of this but I realised something really important when studying economics.  Random elements in the game - lucky bounces, the wind, bobbles on the pitch, injuries, guesses, "form" etc. - diminish the advantages that teams with superior footballing ability have.  They're the reason that the Premier League doesn't finish with one team with 114 points, reducing by 6 until you get to the bottom team with zero.  The human referee who sees things from 20, 30, 40 yards and makes a best guess is one of the biggest consistent random elements in football.

Apart from any of the practical problems in implementing it (and they are myriad) it would be the single biggest change to the game since 1871.  I don't know if that's something that's even desirable, there'd be less upsets, less unpredictability and probably less interest.  Maybe it would be better if we just accepted that sometimes teams get fucked over by mistakes and treat it as another element of luck in the game rather than something that needs solving.
    +1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:37 am