Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Jord
FishnChips
Jordan Henderchip
Mouse
Demba Ba
Van Wolfswinkel
Harrold
ConorCelticFC
Gegilworld93
chiboygeorge
Cam
Sean
Ham.
Andy
18 posters

Roberto Martinez

Anonymous

Roberto Martinez - Page 2 Empty Re: Roberto Martinez

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:16 am

ConorCelticFC wrote:
    James wrote:Martinez plays more attractive football, much faster build up. Swansea's is just boring and I don't think Rodgers is that good of a manager. Sousa started the Swansea thing, hence the reason they had such a good defence.

Are you the same James who trolled my first thread with bullshit like that? Roberto Martinez - Page 2 58503

Already proven my point, go away.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 am

James wrote:Keeping the ball is a much more effective way of not losing.

Martinez 2008-2009 - 40 goals scored, 22 goals conceded - 8th place finish
    Sousa 2009-2010 - 21 goals scored, 12 goals conceded - 7th place finish
    Rodgers 2010-2011 - 41 goals scores, 11 goals conceded - 3rd place finish

These are home statistics, when a team is supposed to be more attacking. Looking at the starts alone will tell you Martinez played more open and risky football, whereas as we know, Rodgers plays risk free boring football.

Please bear in mind Sinclair scored 19 goals in the season Rodgers managed, the majority at home and without them the goals tally would be around 30 and the fact this was Swansea's third see in the 2nd tier.

I'm not going to pretend like I know much about the Championship, but I'm not sure how you can form that argument from the raw stats alone. All I see is that Swansea had a worse defense at home in 08/09 than in 10/11. Projecting that having Rodgers in 08/09 would have led to Swansea scoring less goals, and that having Martinez in 10/11 would have produced more goals is a murky area.

Mentioning Sinclair's goal-scoring doesn't clarify it any further. Jason Scotland scored 21 for Swansea under Martinez. In percentages, it means that he scored 60% at home compared to Sinclair's 80% at home. It looks like a big gap until you see that it's 13 at home for Scotland, and 15 at home for Sinclair.

Even the fact that Swansea had two years of experience in the Championship when Rodgers was appointed is a bit of a red herring. There is no direct correlation between time spent in a league and performance. Case in point: Swansea are in 14th place and Wigan in 18th in the Premier League or Southampton are top of the Championship.

Presenting an argument based on the difference in strength between the two squads would have been much more effective. Then you have to construct a relationship between depth and home performances while taking into consideration numerous other factors like injuries, form, the strength of other teams etc. Run And that's even without looking at the away records (Martinez's Swansea was slightly better in this respect).

Again, I am somewhat speaking from a weak position here since I never saw Swansea play in the Championship, but I think your dislike of Swansea's football under Rodgers is clouding your vision. Even though Martinez and Sousa established a foundation for Rodgers to build the house on, it still could have gone completely wrong - as we've seen so many times before in football. You have to give him some credit for what he has done.

Sean

Post by Sean Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 am

I love Rei.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:16 am

Rei Andros wrote:
    James wrote:Keeping the ball is a much more effective way of not losing.

Martinez 2008-2009 - 40 goals scored, 22 goals conceded - 8th place finish
    Sousa 2009-2010 - 21 goals scored, 12 goals conceded - 7th place finish
    Rodgers 2010-2011 - 41 goals scores, 11 goals conceded - 3rd place finish

These are home statistics, when a team is supposed to be more attacking. Looking at the starts alone will tell you Martinez played more open and risky football, whereas as we know, Rodgers plays risk free boring football.

Please bear in mind Sinclair scored 19 goals in the season Rodgers managed, the majority at home and without them the goals tally would be around 30 and the fact this was Swansea's third see in the 2nd tier.

I'm not going to pretend like I know much about the Championship, but I'm not sure how you can form that argument from the raw stats alone. All I see is that Swansea had a worse defense at home in 08/09 than in 10/11. Projecting that having Rodgers in 08/09 would have led to Swansea scoring less goals, and that having Martinez in 10/11 would have produced more goals is a murky area.

Mentioning Sinclair's goal-scoring doesn't clarify it any further. Jason Scotland scored 21 for Swansea under Martinez. In percentages, it means that he scored 60% at home compared to Sinclair's 80% at home. It looks like a big gap until you see that it's 13 at home for Scotland, and 15 at home for Sinclair.

Even the fact that Swansea had two years of experience in the Championship when Rodgers was appointed is a bit of a red herring. There is no direct correlation between time spent in a league and performance. Case in point: Swansea are in 14th place and Wigan in 18th in the Premier League or Southampton are top of the Championship.

Presenting an argument based on the difference in strength between the two squads would have been much more effective. Then you have to construct a relationship between depth and home performances while taking into consideration numerous other factors like injuries, form, the strength of other teams etc. Roberto Martinez - Page 2 78475 And that's even without looking at the away records (Martinez's Swansea was slightly better in this respect).

Again, I am somewhat speaking from a weak position here since I never saw Swansea play in the Championship, but I think your dislike of Swansea's football under Rodgers is clouding your vision. Even though Martinez and Sousa established a foundation for Rodgers to build the house on, it still could have gone completely wrong - as we've seen so many times before in football. You have to give him some credit for what he has done.

The difference between Scotland and Sinclair is that Scotland is a striker, his job is to score goals. If you've seen him play you'll know how bad he actually is, for him to score there needed to be good team play.
    Sinclair on the other hand is a winger with the majority of his game based around his own selfishness. If they used Routledge and Dyer (Both started against Newcastle) I highly doubt Swansea would have made their way into the playoffs. I think it is fair to say, replace Jason Scotland with another Championship striker that scores goals (there are plenty of them) and Martinez would have guided them to a position just as good as he did.

There may be no direct correlation but I can provide more examples of teams spending extra seasons in the Championship before going up. Ignoring Swansea, we have Stoke, Hull City, Burnley, Blackpool in recent years. All teams who either came from the 3rd tier or embarked upon a new era in the league which propelled them up. As for Swansea, we've seen the past few seasons promoted teams tend to do ok in the first season. Burnley had a superb start, ended up being relegated the same season though just, Hull did great at the start of theirs, relegated 2nd season, Blackpool great start, faded and relegated.

My point at the end of all of this was that Martinez sets his teams up to play more attractive football, they pass the ball about quickly and take risks. Swansea don't, they sit patiently in what I class as the most defensive way of playing football. He can have credit for his Premier League season, but I believe it was the work of Sousa and his boring team that gave Rodgers a great defensive platform to start with.

I'm still fairly positive they'll go down next season, they'll be found out because we all know they'll play exactly the same way.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:32 am

Scott Sinclair. Roberto Martinez - Page 2 914411

And on topic... I think Martinez is a good manager, I don't think he is better than Rodgers though. Your point in saying Martinez and Sousa built the team and he succeed with it is one which I don't agree on. Yes, a large amount of the players were already there and they did play similar styles to what Rodgers has brought in but Rodgers has made them a better team. He's done what neither Sousa or Martinez did and thats make Swansea successful.

I can't comment on you saying that Wigan play more attractive football than Swansea because that's purely opinion, I disagree with it but if you like it, you like it. "Keeping the ball is a much more effective way of not losing" - isn't that what the purpose of football is not to lose, but to win? Barcelona play the possession game and set out to win, I'm sure Swansea are set-up to do the same. It's less effective but thats down to the quality of the players in the team.

Martinez is bound to get another job in the premier league, that's if he decides to leave Wigan or he get's sacked. That's not going to be decided until the end of the season at least. If he was to lose his job or leave I'm assuming he'd want to have another shot at the league and he'd go to somewhere like Villa, Fulham, Bolton or even a newly promoted side.

It's late if some of that didn't make sense. Roberto Martinez - Page 2 279869
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:58 pm

James wrote:The difference between Scotland and Sinclair is that Scotland is a striker, his job is to score goals. If you've seen him play you'll know how bad he actually is, for him to score there needed to be good team play.

Sinclair on the other hand is a winger with the majority of his game based around his own selfishness. If they used Routledge and Dyer (Both started against Newcastle) I highly doubt Swansea would have made their way into the playoffs. I think it is fair to say, replace Jason Scotland with another Championship striker that scores goals (there are plenty of them) and Martinez would have guided them to a position just as good as he did.

There may be no direct correlation but I can provide more examples of teams spending extra seasons in the Championship before going up. Ignoring Swansea, we have Stoke, Hull City, Burnley, Blackpool in recent years. All teams who either came from the 3rd tier or embarked upon a new era in the league which propelled them up. As for Swansea, we've seen the past few seasons promoted teams tend to do ok in the first season. Burnley had a superb start, ended up being relegated the same season though just, Hull did great at the start of theirs, relegated 2nd season, Blackpool great start, faded and relegated.

My point at the end of all of this was that Martinez sets his teams up to play more attractive football, they pass the ball about quickly and take risks. Swansea don't, they sit patiently in what I class as the most defensive way of playing football. He can have credit for his Premier League season, but I believe it was the work of Sousa and his boring team that gave Rodgers a great defensive platform to start with.

I'm still fairly positive they'll go down next season, they'll be found out because we all know they'll play exactly the same way.

I see where you're coming from now. We'll just have to see if your prediction holds true.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Ed wrote:
    Sarmz wrote:Wigan get shafted so often but you hardly ever hear Martinez complain. One of my favourite managers not worthy
    lo lo lo

What? Suspect
    Van Wolfswinkel
    Van Wolfswinkel

Formerly known as : Sammy_Tekkers

Post by Van Wolfswinkel Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Us when Pardew is named England manager Smile
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Harrold wrote:Scott Sinclair. Roberto Martinez - Page 2 914411

And on topic... I think Martinez is a good manager, I don't think he is better than Rodgers though. Your point in saying Martinez and Sousa built the team and he succeed with it is one which I don't agree on. Yes, a large amount of the players were already there and they did play similar styles to what Rodgers has brought in but Rodgers has made them a better team. He's done what neither Sousa or Martinez did and thats make Swansea successful.

I can't comment on you saying that Wigan play more attractive football than Swansea because that's purely opinion, I disagree with it but if you like it, you like it. "Keeping the ball is a much more effective way of not losing" - isn't that what the purpose of football is not to lose, but to win? Barcelona play the possession game and set out to win, I'm sure Swansea are set-up to do the same. It's less effective but thats down to the quality of the players in the team.

Martinez is bound to get another job in the premier league, that's if he decides to leave Wigan or he get's sacked. That's not going to be decided until the end of the season at least. If he was to lose his job or leave I'm assuming he'd want to have another shot at the league and he'd go to somewhere like Villa, Fulham, Bolton or even a newly promoted side.

It's late if some of that didn't make sense. Roberto Martinez - Page 2 279869

I didn't actually say Martinez started the way of playing at Swansea. There are different kinds of passing football, Martinez sets his team up to play a much more attractive version. Sousa however did start it. I find Barcelona boring at times, but they do try to play the ball quicker (mostly via Iniesta or Messi's dribbling and sometimes the ball in behind to Sanchez/Pedro) but Spain on the other hand play just as defensive as Swansea. Spanish players have come out and said the best way to defend is to keep the ball, not the best way to attack is to keep the ball. Playing not to lose is different to playing to win, playing not to lose can easily mean playing for a draw.
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Formerly known as : cheesy

Post by Demba Ba Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:32 pm

I could see him staying at Wigan to be honest. He showed them that he was loyal last season, as he turned down the Villa job to stay there. If they go down and Whelan lets him stay, then he'll probably feel like he owes it to the club for giving him another chance. He'll at least have a go at taking them back up first before going for any bigger jobs.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:27 am

Swapping Wigan for Villa would be silly though. It wouldn't really have been a step up and the Villa job is poisonous. No money and shit fans that expect more than is realistic (like Liverpool, Sunderland and Everton fans).
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Formerly known as : cheesy

Post by Demba Ba Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:31 am

Fair point, but he would've been getting more money and a team who were a lot more likely to survive in the Premier League. It's something that would've tempted most managers of a team like Wigan.

At the start of the season, the Villa job looked like a much better one as well. There wasn't a lot of talk of them having no mone and the fans were optimistic before they got a manager.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 am

Martinez is an intelligent manager, he see's things that others don't. Probably why he is a much better than the average lower PL manager.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:59 am

Everton are doing well though with the amount of money that they have.
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:04 am

James is correct.

Although Sinclair is shit if you ask me and most Swansea fans.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:05 am

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:Everton are doing well though with the amount of money that they have.

You missed the point. Everton fans expect way more than is realistic.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 am

James wrote:Swapping Wigan for Villa would be silly though. It wouldn't really have been a step up and the Villa job is poisonous. No money and shit fans that expect more than is realistic (like Liverpool, Sunderland and Everton fans).

Don't agree with this at all.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am

Roberto Martinez - Page 2 207657
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:46 am

oh Roberto
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 am

Roberto Martinez - Page 2 914411
    FishnChips
    FishnChips

Post by FishnChips Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:14 am

He's overachieved with a very poor squad, no doubt about it. I'm not sure how he'd fair in a better team though, he's more like Mark Hughes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:17 am

Mark Hughes did well at a better team (Fulham) and didn't do such a bad job at Man City. Was sacked a bit too early imo.

Martinez is different though, he is flexible and more than willing to play different systems but keep his style of play the same. Very clever manager.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:18 am

Martinez is so likeable. Would love to see him get a bigger job.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 pm

James wrote:Roberto Martinez - Page 2 914411If Wigan go down or stay up he'll obviously get offered bigger jobs, which clubs would be a good fit for him?

He's the only reason anyone would want Wigan to stay up. Roberto Martinez - Page 2 688105

Arsenal.
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 pm

He did sign one of the worst strikers i've ever seen play in the premier league.

Roberto Martinez - Page 2 Mauro-Boselli-006
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Mc Babel wrote:He did sign one of the worst strikers i've ever seen play in the premier league.

And Franco
    Roberto Martinez - Page 2 1525569533

Literally a poor mans Carroll.
    BigJ0526
    BigJ0526

Post by BigJ0526 Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Which says a lot about his ability to manage if he can keep Wigan in the premier league with strikers as bad as Di Santo and Sammon.
    Start.
    Start.

Supports : Chelsea FC.

Post by Start. Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:55 pm

Jord wrote:
    Mc Babel wrote:He did sign one of the worst strikers i've ever seen play in the premier league.

And Franco
    Roberto Martinez - Page 2 1525569533

Literally a poor mans Carroll.

Don't go to far, nobody's as bad as him just yet.
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Martinez is my idol shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I really want Wigan to stay up.....it's just annoying that they beat us. Mad

Also I don't quite understand Wigan, they lose to mid-bottom table teams but beat Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool and they should have beat Chelsea. are you kidding me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:16 pm