Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
moscowmadeit3
Demba Ba
dena
Cadbury
Carlos Jenkinson
Lux
Childish Logic
Kuled
Jordi
Jord
Gegilworld93
David Alaba
ResurrectionRooney
Mario
18 posters

Ban Argentina

Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Ban Argentina - Page 3 Empty Re: Ban Argentina

Post by Lux Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:23 am

ahlycotc wrote:Lux, your example is not comparable. The English culture (at least when it comes to racial slurs) is more common knowledge than Mongolian culture. In addition, "mate" isn't describing anybody's skin color or race.

Like any of that matters. It could be Spain, Italy, America....whatever.....the country or place is not relevant. Obviously it's not common knowledge enough that people can come here and make such a mistake.

Also....I personally couldn't care less if it's racist or not. If someone called me an "ice cream" or any other race related slur, I would not feel as offended as if I were called a cunt. An insult is an insult, I don't think any are less acceptable just because it refers to your race or skin. When someone uses a racial slur, it has no more effect than if you insult them some other way.

That is sort of a different discussion but, anyway my example of "mate" was irrelevant too. I could go to any country and very easily not know what words are acceptable and what words are not. We might live in a globalised society but that doesn't mean everyone knows everything (would've thought someone from America would know that all too well).

Also a final point........why does it matter so much that Evra is offended? I could care less personally. People are offended all the time, but we can't accommodate for everyone. When some people are offended, maybe they just need to get over themselves and understand that the world doesn't revolve around their opinions, and there are other cultures and people who do things differently. Personally I'm bored of people being offended and having to always think about what I say or do because I could end up losing my whole career or even my life because some person was offended. How about this.....I'm offended that they're offended....punish them?

Last edited by Lux on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:25 am

Lu❣️s Suarez wrote:I am Latin American/Spanish. Neutral

(and by I, I mean Suarez Mischief)

Right, but it can be offensive to Evra. And I believe Suarez knew that Evra could take it offensively and that's why he did it. He wanted to throw Evra off his game.

Do we know what Suarez exactly said, by the way? Has anyone revealed it was "Porque negro"?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:27 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    Lu❣️s Suarez wrote:I am Latin American/Spanish. Neutral

(and by I, I mean Suarez Mischief)

Right, but it can be offensive to Evra. And I believe Suarez knew that Evra could take it offensively and that's why he did it. He wanted to throw Evra off his game.
    That is a huge accusation. Why would Suarez do that? Suarez isn't the complete cunt most of you guys would like to think he is.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:29 am

Lux wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Lux, your example is not comparable. The English culture (at least when it comes to racial slurs) is more common knowledge than Mongolian culture. In addition, "mate" isn't describing anybody's skin color or race.

Like any of that matters. It could be Spain, Italy, America....whatever.....the country or place is not relevant. Obviously it's not common knowledge enough that people can come here and make such a mistake.

Also....I personally couldn't care less if it's racist or not. If someone called me an "ice cream" or any other race related slur, I would not feel as offended as if I were called a cunt. An insult is an insult, I don't think any are less acceptable just because it refers to your race or skin. When someone uses a racial slur, it has no more effect than if you insult them some other way.

That is sort of a different discussion but, anyway my example of "mate" was irrelevant too. I could go to any country and very easily not know what words are acceptable and what words are not. We might live in a globalised society but that doesn't mean everyone knows everything (would've thought someone from America would know that all too well).

Also a final point........why does it matter so much that Evra is offended? I could care less personally. People are offended all the time, but we can't accommodate for everyone. When some people are offended, maybe they just need to get over themselves and understand that the world doesn't revolve around their opinions, and there are other cultures and people who do things differently. Personally I'm bored of people being offended and having to always think about what I say or do because I could end up losing my whole career or even my life because some person was offended. How about this.....I'm offended that they're offended....punish them?

Just because you don't find something offensive, doesn't mean everyone else should feel the same. The reason most people find racial slurs more offensive than non-racial slurs is because of the history of the usage of the term and the implications that someone is under you because of their skin color. You can call someone a cunt for doing something you don't appreciate. But insulting them because of their skin color instead of their actions is a different thing.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 am

Lu❣️s Suarez wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

That is a huge accusation. Why would Suarez do that? Suarez isn't the complete cunt most of you guys would like to think he is.

Suares isn't a saint. It's perfectly reasonable to accuse Suarez of trying anything to throw the opposition off their game.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:33 am

Oh I am sure he would but not in this way. I highly doubt this even cam across Suarez' mind. Believe it or not, but skin color isn't so much of a big deal in South America as it is in America and Britain.

http://backpagefootball.com/premier-league/how-the-fa-smeared-suarez-and-an-entire-culture/
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:37 am

ahlycotc wrote:Just because you don't find something offensive, doesn't mean everyone else should feel the same.

It doesn't mean that I should care either. Sometimes when people are offended I'm upset, and sometimes I'm just pissed off at them. I don't live to please everyone else, you can't go through life without compromise.

ahlycotc wrote:The reason most people find racial slurs more offensive than non-racial slurs is because of the history of the usage of the term and the implications that someone is under you because of their skin color. You can call someone a cunt for doing something you don't appreciate. But insulting them because of their skin color instead of their actions is a different thing.

Well boo hoo, their ancestors were mistreated so they get to feel sorry for themselves? I refuse to feel guilty for what people I give a damn about did in the past.

I see racism as a joke, one of the best things about my IT course is how diverse it is.....and we all make racist jokes on a daily basis with no hard feelings. Would I rather have that, or some moany bitch? If people are being aggressively offensive then OK...I would react the same....but I'm talking about generally insulting behaviour/actions whether they are racist or not.....that doesn't necessarily mean anything that could be perceived as abusive in a racial way should not be tolerated. You have to draw the line somewhere.....if you don't then people will moan about everything.

Saying "Negrito" to someone has no racist intent. Because of that I don't really care about it at all. If Evra wants to be offended about it even after he has found out that he is mistaken of the meaning of the word...then that's his problem IMO. I would say the same about any person, of any race or culture.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:02 am

What’s in a word? Whichever of the two words allegedly used, no natural equivalent exists in English. It has been used both as defence and prosecution that both the words – negro and negrito ­– might be used affectionately. Here, perhaps, there is a parallel. The word ‘pal’ might be used affectionately. Indeed, if you were to explain it to a non-native speaker, you would describe it, perhaps, as a friendly placeholder. Have it growled at you in Glaswegian, though, in the sentence “You looking at me, pal?” and there is nothing affectionate about it. The meaning of a word, especially a placeholder, lies in no small part in the delivery.

But what of the reference to colour? In England, that is clearly intolerable. Of that there is no question. Even in an age when we live, largely peacefully, in a multi-cultural society, we are not a country who like to mention colour. And, of course, the offence took place in England. Our house, our rules? Fine. More importantly, the central tenet of what can and cannot be defined as racist has long been seen not as the intention of the perpetrator but the interpretation of the victim.

But, then, in the plaintiff’s defence, his own cultural heritage, his own understanding of what is acceptable. In his homeland, it seems, such words are used simply as descriptives, and certainly without enormously offensive overtones. The Argentines, for example, pepper their speech with the word “che”. Mate, pal, man. It is used almost unconsciously. It can be substituted for a more personalised term, though. Rubio. Gordo. As one of the defendant’s countrymen put it, this is a place where, if you have a big nose, your nickname is big nose. A big head, and it’s big head. If you have darker skin – not black, just darker – then you are negro. Not “a negro”. Simply negro. Sensitive? No, not at all. But deliberately offensive, designed to wound and directed to hurt? Not really.
    link: Hypocrisy: The English Disease

I should probably have mentioned this earlier. This isn't a skin color thing. This is a person-to-person type of thing. People are called all sorts of names, Gordo, Flaco, rubio, chiquito etc. (Fat, Skinny, Blondie, tiny, etc.) in addition to negro, blanco, moreno etc. I with my huge(in comparison) American feet was called "paton" or Bigfoot in Venezuela... If someone was to insult someone else due to a characteristic (be it their skin color, weight, feet..) they would add much more to the sentence then just "negro" or "gordo". Only a few words on their own are actually offensive, one being "Gringo" which is irrelevant because Gringo's aren't natively from South America, another being "Sudaco", which refers to the often times struggling South American populations seeking to make it in Europe and is really offensive and derogatory. Much more so than any name relating to skin, race, body, culture could be. Evra called Luis Suarez a Sudaco.

Article continues on about problems England has with their culture and xenophobism.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:08 am

In addition, it is worth adding that this is obviously not a matter of racism anymore. This Suarez case is now a matter of politics.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:33 am

not worthy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:07 am

So I met with my mom earlier and asked her about the Suarez case.

She countered with what happened to her in her first few months in Canada when she spoke some English, but still didn't understand the implications of some words(probably like Suarez). In the subway, she and my dad saw a black women slapping her son across the face for whatever reason. My mom then commented to my dad "Conio, mire este negra golpeando el nino" and the black women heard and started yelling profanities at my mom. Laughing

Sometimes misunderstandings like this happens, especially in multi-cultural societies. 8 Games ban and 45k fine as punishment is extremely severe for a simple misunderstanding, and it is extraordinary that Evra got away with his use of language which was intentional, and what's more, he admitted to using it.

Last edited by Lu❣s Suarez on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:09 am

8 game ban for polska's mum.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:55 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:People are missing the point. It's not the words that Suarez used, it's the manner in which he used it. You might go around calling your friends black or ice creams, but you don't go to an opponent and try to piss him off by calling him black. What was Suarez expecting Evra to do? Suarez might not be a racist, but in this case, he used a slur to offend someone to throw him off his game. I don't see any context in which Suraez could have used negro or negrito towards Evra that would make it acceptable. From my understanding, Suarez and Evra are not friends.
    Suarez said "Porque Negro?" which I doubt can be seen as a slur.

Suarez and Evra aren't friends but that isn't the point. People can say "Hey Bro pass me that pencil over there" in English without the two people necessarily being brothers or friends.

Besides, that is clutching at straws. Evra obviously found the word 'negro' itself offensive, not whatever context Suarez meant. (Rightfully so as well, Evra doesn't speak Spanish)

He distinguished the difference between himself and Evra

If you used the "my nigga" or "bro" forms of speech you are relating to that person, Suarez didn't do that at all he did the opposite

Suarez from the whole thing isn't racist, that's just how it comes out in English. In Spain it's common for someone to say something like "That black guy" when they're not trying to be offensive at all, whereas if you were to say it in a sophisticated area in the UK it would be deemed racist because you're discriminating. The whole reason for why Evra doesn't think he's racist is because he knows Suarez isn't racist, it's just the wording of how he put it isn't politically correct in the UK.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:01 am

Lux wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Just because you don't find something offensive, doesn't mean everyone else should feel the same.

It doesn't mean that I should care either. Sometimes when people are offended I'm upset, and sometimes I'm just pissed off at them. I don't live to please everyone else, you can't go through life without compromise.

ahlycotc wrote:The reason most people find racial slurs more offensive than non-racial slurs is because of the history of the usage of the term and the implications that someone is under you because of their skin color. You can call someone a cunt for doing something you don't appreciate. But insulting them because of their skin color instead of their actions is a different thing.

Well boo hoo, their ancestors were mistreated so they get to feel sorry for themselves? I refuse to feel guilty for what people I give a damn about did in the past.

I see racism as a joke, one of the best things about my IT course is how diverse it is.....and we all make racist jokes on a daily basis with no hard feelings. Would I rather have that, or some moany bitch? If people are being aggressively offensive then OK...I would react the same....but I'm talking about generally insulting behaviour/actions whether they are racist or not.....that doesn't necessarily mean anything that could be perceived as abusive in a racial way should not be tolerated. You have to draw the line somewhere.....if you don't then people will moan about everything.

Saying "Negrito" to someone has no racist intent. Because of that I don't really care about it at all. If Evra wants to be offended about it even after he has found out that he is mistaken of the meaning of the word...then that's his problem IMO. I would say the same about any person, of any race or culture.

You live in a country where there is a high majority of white people and it thrives on sophisticated use of language, when the fuck are you likely to be a victim of racism Ban Argentina - Page 3 58503

If you lived in Zimbabwe I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be saying the same nonsense, you're entitled to your opinion Lux and I respect that but you're commenting on something you're really clueless about... A LOT
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:06 am

dena wrote:Che pretty much nailed the whole topic.

What a surprise. You Americans just constantly agree with each other on here. Dry Smile
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:07 am

Beowulf wrote:
    dena wrote:Che pretty much nailed the whole topic.

What a surprise. You Americans just constantly agree with each other on here. Dry Smile

It's hard to argue with a bunch of smart people. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:09 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    Beowulf wrote:

It's hard to argue with a bunch of smart people. shifty

Besides Rei I don't consider any of you smart. Hide
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:10 am

Son, I'm disappoint.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:10 am

Polska pretty much nailed the topic here.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:05 am

Fonseca, you don't know what you are talking about.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:35 am

Lux wrote:Also another thing. Britain is always bowing down and accepting other's cultures. All we ever do is try not to offend others by allowing them to practice their cultures.

Is it? I'm British and I don't bow down to accept other cultures. I certainly do things other than 'try not to offend others'. When you talk about 'Britain', what do you refer to? It's obviously not the British people.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Dan wrote:Ban Argentina - Page 3 6153348-1_0

Disgusting.

if they did then in an english football match ofcourse they would be banned/punished... just cause its acceptable in their culture doesnt mean it is acceptable here. if you are playing here then dont be ignorant of the culture
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:29 pm

If the word Negro is so horrible, why was it included on the 2010 US Census form? http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-06/news/17944290_1_census-form-census-bureau-older-blacks
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Weather130 wrote:If the word Negro is so horrible, why was it included on the 2010 US Census form? http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-06/news/17944290_1_census-form-census-bureau-older-blacks

ahm did you even look at the article... there is huge controversy over it so it is that horrible
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:33 pm

The incident did not take place in the United States of America.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:39 pm

ViVaRooney wrote:
    Dan wrote:Ban Argentina - Page 3 6153348-1_0

Disgusting.

if they did then in an english football match ofcourse they would be banned/punished... just cause its acceptable in their culture doesnt mean it is acceptable here. if you are playing here then dont be ignorant of the culture
    You idiot. Negro is Black. Is the word black offensive now?
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Fonseca wrote:You live in a country where there is a high majority of white people and it thrives on sophisticated use of language, when the fuck are you likely to be a victim of racism Ban Argentina - Page 3 58503

If you lived in Zimbabwe I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be saying the same nonsense, you're entitled to your opinion Lux and I respect that but you're commenting on something you're really clueless about... A LOT

I live in a part of the country where I am not the majority, thank you.

Over 1/2 of the people in my part of London are not White British. I have been a victim of racism on COUNTLESS occasions.....whether it is with intention or not......I feel it. So please do not try and undermine my opinion by classing me as ignorant......because frankly I am NOT.

One example. 3 months ago someone quite casually robbed me with a knife. I asked them why and they said because I'm white Neutral. People look out for their own people.....and hang with their own people......I'm actually quite open and have friends from all kinds of races/cultures but when I look at my friends all theirs are the same. I am usually the odd one out.

Also you can't compare Zimbabwe to England. White people were literally forced out of Zimbabwe amirite? No minority in England has that.....so let's not even try and use examples like Zimbabwe when that's way beyond anything people in England experience.....especially Evra.

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Is it? I'm British and I don't bow down to accept other cultures. I certainly do things other than 'try not to offend others'. When you talk about 'Britain', what do you refer to? It's obviously not the British people.

I am talking about the stance of the government and the general attitude that has come with it. A lot of people don't have that view but some have bought into the idea that we should accept others and as a result we lose our own rights.

Last edited by Lux on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:
    ViVaRooney wrote:

You idiot. Negro is Black. Is the word black offensive now?

Depending on the context. Polska, don't act like Suarez is just being observant.

Last edited by ahlycotc on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Lux wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:Is it? I'm British and I don't bow down to accept other cultures. I certainly do things other than 'try not to offend others'. When you talk about 'Britain', what do you refer to? It's obviously not the British people.

I am talking about the stance of the government and the general attitude that has come with it. A lot of people don't have that view but some have bought into the idea that we should accept others and as a result we lose our own rights.

Well no, again, that's bollocks. The government makes efforts to accommodate immigrants, and with good reason, they provide tremendous boons to the economy, but that does not equate to bowing down to other cultures.

I don't know anyone who thinks that we should lose our own rights to accept others. Do you?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:46 pm

ahlycotc wrote:
    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:You idiot. Negro is Black. Is the word black offensive now?

Depending on the context. Polska, don't act like Suarez is just being observant.
    Fuerza Negro?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:25 am