Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Dr. Ján Ĩtor
Samuel-x
Theo Filippo
Jeff
Kuled
dena
Clark
Marvin
El Jefe
Rodallega
ResurrectionRooney
15 posters

Are Uruguay a top International side?

Poll

[ 22 ]
    Are Uruguay a top International side? Bar_left76%Are Uruguay a top International side? Bar_right [76%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Are Uruguay a top International side? Bar_left14%Are Uruguay a top International side? Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Are Uruguay a top International side? Bar_left10%Are Uruguay a top International side? Bar_right [10%] 

Total Votes: 29
    Anonymous

Are Uruguay a top International side? Empty Are Uruguay a top International side?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:12 am

If not, will they be?

Personally, I have to say they are. Watching them in the Copa America was fantastic and they have such a talented squad with great understanding amongst each other.

I think they would beat England and they've already shown that they can beat the likes of Italy and Argentina too. They thrashed Chile, who impressed at the World Cup.

Wouldn't say they're at the level of Spain/Holland/Brazil though, obviously. They could maybe match Portugal. They're better than France.

This is all ofc, just in my opinion. I'm not trying to say the above are facts.
    Anonymous

Are Uruguay a top International side? Empty Re: Are Uruguay a top International side?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:16 am

Fuck!! I clicked "not yet but will be". facepalm

Yes, I think they're, Suarez, Forlan and Cavani upfront. wank 2
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Are Uruguay a top International side? Empty Re: Are Uruguay a top International side?

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:17 am

Here is a fact, they are Champions of South America. No more needs to be said.
    Rodallega
    Rodallega

Supports : Jordi Gomez

Post by Rodallega Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:17 am

Obviously
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:17 am

Definitely in the top 10, probably in the second tier of international teams, behind the likes of Spain, Holland, Brazil and possibly Germany.

Not always spectacular, but very difficult to break down, and they have some quality attacking talent too.
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:18 am

No.
    Clark
    Clark

Supports : Atheism

Post by Clark Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:19 am

Of course they are, where are they ranked now, fourth, you don't get there by a few lucky wins, it means consistency.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:25 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Here is a fact, they are Champions of South America. No more needs to be said.

Pretty much. Neutral

That plus their WC performance, silly question.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:27 am

Uruguay, Suarez and Cavani not worthy Yes they are.
    Jeff
    Jeff

Formerly known as : Jeffharper2011
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Jeff Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:31 am

I think they have alot of quality going forward in the likes of suarez,Cavani and forlan however apart from that there not that great
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:41 am

They have a good defence and an exceptional attack. Midfield is average though. Don't know why Abel Hernandez is hardly getting a mention he will be one of their best players in a few years time and already is quality. I reckon they are just outside the top 5 national teams
    Samuel-x
    Samuel-x

Supports : Chelsea Football Club

Post by Samuel-x Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:51 am

This is a fairly non-essential thread, they're obviously a top international side.
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor

Formerly known as : XxBradKennedyxX

Post by Dr. Ján Ĩtor Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:05 am

at the moment, theyre probably the 3rd, maybe 4th best international team. Id say Spain, Germany, Uruguay, Holland. in that order. I also think they stand a great chance in 2014, its hard to see them winning 2 major tournaments in a row though
    lvrpl4life
    lvrpl4life

Post by lvrpl4life Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:05 am

I must admit I haven't watched them since the WC, but how would they play when Forlan inevitably retires?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:08 am

lvrpl4life wrote:I must admit I haven't watched them since the WC, but how would they play when Forlan inevitably retires?
    They don't need Forlan, they've got Cavani(beast).

They will miss his set pieces tho.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 am

Fuck Forlan, it's all about Cavani not worthy
    Rodallega
    Rodallega

Supports : Jordi Gomez

Post by Rodallega Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 am

lvrpl4life wrote:I must admit I haven't watched them since the WC, but how would they play when Forlan inevitably retires?

Abel s perfectly capable of doing a just as affective job as Forlan is doing
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:18 am

people are overrating them on here, they are a great side but wouldn't stand a chance against the likes of Spain, Germany and Holland. Italy, France and probably England would beat them too I think. France's NT is underrated nowadays anyway but that's for another day. World class attack, poor midfield and a pretty average defence. The Pereiras are great at attacking and at tackling too especially Maxi but I think their positioning needs working. Great attack doesn't equal great team.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:20 am

Apart from their attack, their team isn't world class by any means, however the difference between Uruguay and say Brazil, is that Uruguay works well as a team because they have a coach that knows the squad.
    Clark
    Clark

Supports : Atheism

Post by Clark Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:21 am

Lugano is beast.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:22 am

Meh, he's one for the hollywood tackles and blocks, his positioning has been woeful at PSG and I've seen several games of them this season.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:25 am

Muslera shifty
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:28 am

good GK.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:29 am

Gegilworld93 wrote:people are overrating them on here, they are a great side but wouldn't stand a chance against the likes of Spain, Germany and Holland. Italy, France and probably England would beat them too I think. France's NT is underrated nowadays anyway but that's for another day. World class attack, poor midfield and a pretty average defence. The Pereiras are great at attacking and at tackling too especially Maxi but I think their positioning needs working. Great attack doesn't equal great team.

France aren't rated because of how shit they've been in the last 5 fucking years. They haven't even won a game at a major tournament since Portugal in 2006, the World Cup in 2010 (a tournament they had to cheat to qualify for against a country ranked 34th in the world) was an absolute disgrace from the French point of view.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:50 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Gegilworld93 wrote:people are overrating them on here, they are a great side but wouldn't stand a chance against the likes of Spain, Germany and Holland. Italy, France and probably England would beat them too I think. France's NT is underrated nowadays anyway but that's for another day. World class attack, poor midfield and a pretty average defence. The Pereiras are great at attacking and at tackling too especially Maxi but I think their positioning needs working. Great attack doesn't equal great team.

France aren't rated because of how shit they've been in the last 5 fucking years. They haven't even won a game at a major tournament since Portugal in 2006, the World Cup in 2010 (a tournament they had to cheat to qualify for against a country ranked 34th in the world) was an absolute disgrace from the French point of view.
    I know, lots of people still have their WC 2010 antics in mind, but they have a very good squad now including promising young players. They developed a nice team spirit under Blanc as well.
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 am

It wouldn't be so bad if they kept the ball for a long period of time like Spain but they can't even do that. They would get ripped apart on the counter by any top team.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:13 am

In the World Cup they showed a very impressive defence. I didn't expect it but they were very good.

At the time, I didn't think much of Cavani, and it wasn't until the later games that Suarez and Forlan went into beast mode.

They are a top team at the moment. Football is not black and white.....I don't think you could really class them below any team on their current form.
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Formerly known as : cheesy

Post by Demba Ba Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 am

I'd have to say that they are. Obviously they haven't been up there in recent years, but some of their players are top quality. Their frontline is one of the best in world football, and of course, they won the Copa America as well.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:24 am

cheesy wrote:I'd have to say that they are. Obviously they haven't been up there in recent years, but some of their players are top quality. Their frontline is one of the best in world football, and of course, they won the Copa America as well.

What do you mean they haven't been up there in recent years? They finished 4th at the World Cup, and they won the Copa America a few months ago, and got to the Semis of the previous one, only losing on penalties to the eventual winners.
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Formerly known as : cheesy

Post by Demba Ba Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:25 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    cheesy wrote:I'd have to say that they are. Obviously they haven't been up there in recent years, but some of their players are top quality. Their frontline is one of the best in world football, and of course, they won the Copa America as well.

What do you mean they haven't been up there in recent years? They finished 4th at the World Cup, and they won the Copa America a few months ago, and got to the Semis of the previous one, only losing on penalties to the eventual winners.

I'm talking about the years before that, where they probably wouldn't have been considered among the best. Obviously, that has changed now, over the past two years I'd say.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:26 pm