Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
El Jefe
Marvin
crump
Childish Logic
Roloman4
Ben
Coatsy
The Zlatan
dena
Clark
Jamie
SBSP
Cadbury
ResurrectionRooney
Sean
19 posters

History Thread

Anonymous

History Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: History Thread

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:30 pm

polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:Maybe geography is different in canada Neutral its all earthquakes and, Coastal environments and tsunamis and stuff, all of which could be increasing because of climate change, global warming, rising sea levels, etc.
    Geography in Canada was about natural stuff. Way rivers form, sea currents, types of earthquakes and soils for that matter, land forms et cetera.

Yeah, we learn about that as well, but y'know, my school sucks, so what do I know? Neutral
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Cam wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:Maybe geography is different in canada Neutral its all earthquakes and, Coastal environments and tsunamis and stuff, all of which could be increasing because of climate change, global warming, rising sea levels, etc.
    Geography in Canada was about natural stuff. Way rivers form, sea currents, types of earthquakes and soils for that matter, land forms et cetera.

Yeah, we learn about that as well, but y'know, my school sucks, so what do I know? Neutral

Why do you care if he days your school sucks man? Laughing
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Sean wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Sean wrote:Its interesting though how's there no central figure in modern history, (well maybe BinLaden)

When has there been?

Depends what your studying. Obviously you have your Hitler, then you have your Stalin's, Lenin's, Kennedy's etc. But I guess apart from War on Terror and the leaders involved in that, all the big events in our history has been a result of the majority, rather than 1 or 2 competing leaders/countries
    Hitler and Stalin ruled at the same time, I seriously doubt people back then would have looked at Stalin and thought 'Nah, he's not the main man here, Hitler is', we only see Hitler as the big one because we're looking at it from the future. I imagine George Bush will be seen as the central figure in 100 years time.
    polska. wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:First dark skinned President is a biggie, there's also what happened yesterday, the Global Financial Crisis (and what it might lead to in the future), the Tsunami, the 7/7 and 21/7 attacks in London, as well as the Madrid train bombings and the Bali bomb. The US and UK conquering Iraq and Afghanistan, and the awful lack of planning that went into them.

Saying that, I do think this will go down as an era of peacefulness, OK there were the terrorist attacks outlined above, but they killed what, 4,000 people altogether? Far more people are killed by cars, probably by falling off ladders in the same time period. There's no apocalyptic threat as there was in the Cold War, there are no major powers threatening to conquer each other, as there were for pretty much the whole of human history up until about 1990. Economies have become increasingly independent and weapons increasingly powerful resulting in war being an extremely undesirable outcome for any major powers. People are also wising up to the pointlessness of religion, becoming better educated, in the West at least.

If historians ever do look back on this period of history it'll be as the start of the golden age of humanity, if they don't, then it was the last good period before World War III and the end of civilisation in nuclear fire. Could be worse.
    Fuck WWIII, won't happen.

We are probably living in the Golden Age of humanity currently. If we do nothing, ecological collapse will fuck us over and over throughout the next century.
    Might not happen, although with Russia seceding from the world I'm not quite as confident as you. If it doesn't happen we're in great shape, I'm confident the ecological problems will be solved in due course with new technology.
    Clark
    Clark

Supports : Atheism

Post by Clark Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Disease outbreaks?
    Coatsy

Post by Coatsy Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Even when individuals such as Hitler were present. It's too simplistic to only look at him hence why theres so much depth to History. Hitler wasn't omnipotent over even Germany. You have arguably just as important individuals in Germany alone e.g Goebbels,Heydrich,Himmler etc and thats only looking at a few key individuals in the Nazi Party you could even look at individual Gauleiter if you wanted.

So even in a period such as now which on the face of it is seemingly less eventful than previous decades you will never be starved of historical change to assess.

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:33 pm

ClarkY wrote:Disease outbreaks?

Like what? None of the disease outbreaks this decade have been remotely comparable to epidemics of the past.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:33 pm

When I say central I didnt really mean just one guy, I mean 1-3 people who are most prominent.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Cam wrote:
    polska. wrote:

Climate change has little to do with Geography. The term itself implies change over time. IE Natural History.

Or if you are discussing historical climate change caused by humans(for example the turning of one of the most fertile areas of the planet to desert, IE the Middle East), than that goes to History as well. Perhaps Social studies.

If you are referring to current "climate change" the vast ignorant populations believe in, such as global warming, I suppose it goes under Modern history.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Geography >>>>> History
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Ben wrote:Geography >>>>> History

Neutral

Get out.
    Coatsy

Post by Coatsy Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Perhaps but even if you look at most historical events in detail,lots of people are involved to different degrees. Just depends from historical viewpoint you take.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Noooooooooooo geography is so boring.
    Coatsy

Post by Coatsy Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:37 pm

What a ridiculous statement. Snooty
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Sean wrote:When I say central I didnt really mean just one guy, I mean 1-3 people who are most prominent.

Even then it's difficult, remember history is a massive subject. When looking at just the 20th century I can think of Hitler, Einstein, Ghandi, Roosevelt, Bill Gates, Oprah (yeah I did that) etc.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Sean wrote:
    Sean wrote:Its interesting though how's there no central figure in modern history, (well maybe BinLaden)

When has there been?

Depends what your studying. Obviously you have your Hitler, then you have your Stalin's, Lenin's, Kennedy's etc. But I guess apart from War on Terror and the leaders involved in that, all the big events in our history has been a result of the majority, rather than 1 or 2 competing leaders/countries
    Hitler and Stalin ruled at the same time, I seriously doubt people back then would have looked at Stalin and thought 'Nah, he's not the main man here, Hitler is', we only see Hitler as the big one because we're looking at it from the future. I imagine George Bush will be seen as the central figure in 100 years time.
    polska. wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:First dark skinned President is a biggie, there's also what happened yesterday, the Global Financial Crisis (and what it might lead to in the future), the Tsunami, the 7/7 and 21/7 attacks in London, as well as the Madrid train bombings and the Bali bomb. The US and UK conquering Iraq and Afghanistan, and the awful lack of planning that went into them.

Saying that, I do think this will go down as an era of peacefulness, OK there were the terrorist attacks outlined above, but they killed what, 4,000 people altogether? Far more people are killed by cars, probably by falling off ladders in the same time period. There's no apocalyptic threat as there was in the Cold War, there are no major powers threatening to conquer each other, as there were for pretty much the whole of human history up until about 1990. Economies have become increasingly independent and weapons increasingly powerful resulting in war being an extremely undesirable outcome for any major powers. People are also wising up to the pointlessness of religion, becoming better educated, in the West at least.

If historians ever do look back on this period of history it'll be as the start of the golden age of humanity, if they don't, then it was the last good period before World War III and the end of civilisation in nuclear fire. Could be worse.

We are probably living in the Golden Age of humanity currently. If we do nothing, ecological collapse will fuck us over and over throughout the next century.
    Might not happen, although with Russia seceding from the world I'm not quite as confident as you. If it doesn't happen we're in great shape, I'm confident the ecological problems will be solved in due course with new technology.
    Russia only want to restore some of their ego. They aren't a threat and are too smart to cause shit.

Technology? We have the technology now. Future technology will only make things even easier. Technology here isn't the problem. The problem is that everybody is too dumb to do anything about it until it is too late.

Things will be ok though after a few centuries. Mother Nature has a way of setting things right. smug However before we get there, humanity will be plagued with constant famine, disease, and wars, like what is happening right now in Africa, only at a much larger scale! Very Happy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 pm

What about the big three?

Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt(?)
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 pm

polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:
    polska. wrote:

Climate change has little to do with Geography. The term itself implies change over time. IE Natural History.

Or if you are discussing historical climate change caused by humans(for example the turning of one of the most fertile areas of the planet to desert, IE the Middle East), than that goes to History as well. Perhaps Social studies.

If you are referring to current "climate change" the vast ignorant populations believe in, such as global warming, I suppose it goes under Modern history.

Of course Climate Change is to do with Geography.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 pm

On the topic of most influential man of the 20th century... Look no further than Gavrilo Princip.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:41 pm

dena wrote:

Neutral

Get out.

Bogdan wrote:
    Noooooooooooo geography is so boring.

Coatsy wrote:

What a ridiculous statement. Snooty

I love Geography Cry

They intertwine pretty well I guess.

Also Polska, climate change has everything to do with Geography.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:
    polska. wrote:

there there
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 pm

polska. wrote:On the topic of most influential man of the 20th century... Look no further than Gavrilo Princip.

World War One would have happened eventually regardless of whether Princip eisted or not.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 pm

polska. wrote:
    Sean wrote:

When has there been?

polska. wrote:

Russia only want to restore some of their ego. They aren't a threat and are too smart to cause shit.

Technology? We have the technology now. Future technology will only make things even easier. Technology here isn't the problem. The problem is that everybody is too dumb to do anything about it until it is too late.

Things will be ok though after a few centuries. Mother Nature has a way of setting things right. smug However before we get there, humanity will be plagued with constant famine, disease, and wars, like what is happening right now in Africa, only at a much larger scale! Very Happy

These are some pretty bold claims. People will do something about it when something needs to be done.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 pm

polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:
    polska. wrote:Geography in Canada was about natural stuff. Way rivers form, sea currents, types of earthquakes and soils for that matter, land forms et cetera.

there there

More like a there there to you, in pity of your stupidity.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Princep the guy who shot old Franzy?
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Post by Roloman4 Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Sean wrote:Princep the guy who shot old Franzy?

Yes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Roloman4 wrote:
    polska. wrote:On the topic of most influential man of the 20th century... Look no further than Gavrilo Princip.

World War One would have happened eventually regardless of whether Princip eisted or not.
    It would have yes, but it doesn't change the fact that Gavrilo set things off.

polska. wrote:
    Sean wrote:

When has there been?

polska. wrote:

These are some pretty bold claims. People will do something about it when something needs to be done.
    Unfortunately, history doesn't seem to favor that outlook as our friends on Easter Island and the Mayans and Anasazi among others have proven.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Atila never gets sick and goes on to smash the Papal Armies. How different would the world be?

/randomspeculation
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:48 pm

We'd all be speaking in crazy languages, that's how different
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Post by Roloman4 Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Rei Andros wrote:Atila never gets sick and goes on to smash the Papal Armies. How different would the world be?

/randomspeculation

More importantly we should ask ourselves what would have happened had the Mongols not been stopped by the Magyars(fuck yeah).

And what Papal armies?

The papacy had no power in the time of Atila.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:49 pm

We'd all be called Alfred Johnson and wear Tayto crisp packets instead of shoes

/Randomconclusion

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:45 pm