Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
El Jefe
Marvin
crump
Childish Logic
Roloman4
Ben
Coatsy
The Zlatan
dena
Clark
Jamie
SBSP
Cadbury
ResurrectionRooney
Sean
19 posters

History Thread

Anonymous

History Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: History Thread

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Rei Andros wrote:Atila never gets sick and goes on to smash the Papal Armies. How different would the world be?

/randomspeculation
    Do you mean Attila the hun? I learned about him from AOE2, died of a nosebleed, what a shit way to die.

By the way, does his title 'the Hun' mean he was the precursor to Hungary?
    Anonymous

How different would the world be, if I didn't go back in time and shot JFK
    Anonymous

Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:

Yeah, we learn about that as well, but y'know, my school sucks, so what do I know? Neutral
    Climate change has little to do with Geography. The term itself implies change over time. IE Natural History.

Or if you are discussing historical climate change caused by humans(for example the turning of one of the most fertile areas of the planet to desert, IE the Middle East), than that goes to History as well. Perhaps Social studies.

If you are referring to current "climate change" the vast ignorant populations believe in, such as global warming, I suppose it goes under Modern history.

Of course Climate Change is to do with Geography.
    there there

More like a there there to you, in pity of your stupidity.
    Climate Change, or paleoclimatology is the study of historical changes in climate.

Geography is the study of LAND. Thus GEO

CLIMATE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GEOGRAPHY. CLIMATOLOGY OR METEOROLOGY IS A SEPARATE BRANCH OF SCIENCE ALTOGETHER.

And I thought the education systems in England were better than here in America.... scratch
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Rei Andros wrote:Atila never gets sick and goes on to smash the Papal Armies. How different would the world be?

/randomspeculation

I've thought of shit like that SOOOOOO many times dude.

What if Alexander the Great didnt die in his prime? Or expanded west (to Rome) rather than east (to Asia)? What if D-day failed and/or the Allies lost? What if Napoleon beat England? Run
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Roloman4 wrote:

/randomspeculation

More importantly we should ask ourselves what would have happened had the Mongols not been stopped by the Magyars(fuck yeah).

And what Papal armies?

The papacy had no power in the time of Atila.
    He means the Holy Roman/German armies.

edit: The Huns not the Mongals. facepalm disregard.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Roloman4 wrote:

/randomspeculation

More importantly we should ask ourselves what would have happened had the Mongols not been stopped by the Magyars(fuck yeah).

And what Papal armies?

The papacy had no power in the time of Atilla.
    Rolo, come on you're percent Hungarian must be low, don't go around claiming Hungarian achievements your own. Otherwise I'm claiming Hungarian and British achievements as my own.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Bogdan wrote:

/randomspeculation
    Do you mean Attila the hun? I learned about him from AOE2, died of a nosebleed, what a shit way to die.

No the huns were a easter European/western Asian nomadic people who went around doing all times of wild shit. shifty

Last edited by dena on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm

History Thread - Page 5 Jeremy-clarkson

What climate change?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm

If Napoleon had beat England French would be the lingua franca of the world. shifty

@Bogdan: Yeah, Atila the Hun. I'm not sure if there is any relationship between "Hun" and "Hungary".

Last edited by Rei Andros on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:53 pm

dena wrote:

/randomspeculation

What if Alexander the Great didnt die in his prime? Or expanded west (to Rome) rather than east (to Asia)? What if D-day failed and/or the Allies lost? What if Napoleon beat England? Run

England would have eventually rebelled, as they fucking hated the French at that time, eventually Napoleon's empire would fall.

The Alexander the Great thing, Greek would be the language of the Church and prestige instead of Latin. If the Allies lost, Europe would have been under Fascist control for a while until either the US nuked the shit out of Germany or Germany invaded the US, then we would all be fucked.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:53 pm

That's a good idea. We can come up with random situations and speculate what would have happened. shifty
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:54 pm

polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:Climate change has little to do with Geography. The term itself implies change over time. IE Natural History.

Or if you are discussing historical climate change caused by humans(for example the turning of one of the most fertile areas of the planet to desert, IE the Middle East), than that goes to History as well. Perhaps Social studies.

If you are referring to current "climate change" the vast ignorant populations believe in, such as global warming, I suppose it goes under Modern history.

there there

Climate Change, or paleoclimatology is the study of historical changes in climate.

CLIMATE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GEOGRAPHY. CLIMATOLOGY OR METEOROLOGY IS A SEPARATE BRANCH OF SCIENCE ALTOGETHER.

And I thought the education systems in England were better than here in America.... scratch

Geography is not necessarily the study of land, what is human geography? Also, climate change does effect the land so I don't know what you're on about there.
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Post by Roloman4 Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Bogdan wrote:
    Roloman4 wrote:

/randomspeculation

And what Papal armies?

Rolo, come on you're percent Hungarian must be low, don't go around claiming Hungarian achievements your own. Otherwise I'm claiming Hungarian and British achievements as my own.

My fucking grandfather was Hungarian.

It's about 25% then.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Roloman4 wrote:
    dena wrote:

/randomspeculation

England would have eventually rebelled, as they fucking hated the French at that time, eventually Napoleon's empire would fall.

The Alexander the Great thing, Greek would be the language of the Church and prestige instead of Latin. If the Allies lost, Europe would have been under Fascist control for a while until either the US nuked the shit out of Germany or Germany invaded the US, then we would all be fucked.

Surprised that you think that England would've bounced back, as an island nation they would've been chocked off, I think if Napolean got there France would've been the power that England was for the 1800s-mid 1900s
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:55 pm

What if Spain won the Armada?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Also, Rolo, The mongols slaughtered the Hungarians.

Poland stopped the Mongols while the Mongols were rampaging across the Hungarian plain. Obviously Poland would've lost anyway but we held them long enough at several key battles just for Genghis to die conveniently. smug

Hungary on the other hand lost battle after battle and the Hungarian lands had more dead than even in the times of the Black Death.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 pm

What if the Ottoman Empire werent such dicks and allowed Europeans easy access to China for trade?

For those of you who don't know the Ottoman twatness basically sparked the age of exploration..
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Post by Roloman4 Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:57 pm

dena wrote:
    Bogdan wrote:

/randomspeculation

No the huns were a easter European/western Asian nomadic people who went around doing all times of wild shit. shifty

The English name of Hungary came from the Huns, because both the Magyars and the Huns were nomadic tribes.

The name in Hungarian for Hungary is Magyarország.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Umm

If the famine never happened, American cartoons would have no sterotypes for policemen. Think about that shifty
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Sean wrote:What if Spain won the Armada?
    We'd all be speaking Spanish. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Ben wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:

there there

Geography is not necessarily the study of land, what is human geography? Also, climate change does effect the land so I don't know what you're on about there.
    Geography is about the study of land and it's inhabitants, which is where Human geography comes in.

The two are intertwined alot because obviously the climate effects the land, but that is about it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:58 pm

polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:Climate change has little to do with Geography. The term itself implies change over time. IE Natural History.

there there

Geography is the study of PHYSICAL Geography and HUMAN Geography.

Climate Change is heavily impacted on Human Influences, thus HUMAN Geography.

It can be classed as history when looking at it in the form of data collected over a period of time showing the changes in the climate, but when you look at what the actual changes are happening for, then it's all to do with Geography. All the pollution side of climate change is linked with Human Geography and human developments. Air transport is linked with human geography and the topic of interconnected worlds.

Also, impacts of climate change resulting in more natural hazards, which falls into the category of PHYSICAL Geography. Do you really think droughts, flooding, hurricanes etc are things which should be taught in history? Because they are all to do with the subject of climate change..
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:59 pm

dena wrote:What if the Ottoman Empire werent such dicks and allowed Europeans easy access to China for trade?

For those of you who don't know the Ottoman twatness basically sparked the age of exploration..
    European colonization of Africa until the Americas are discovered in the 1600's. What a Face
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Roloman4 wrote:
    Bogdan wrote:
    Roloman4 wrote:

/randomspeculation

And what Papal armies?

My fucking grandfather was Hungarian.

It's about 25% then.
    Ok never mind, you're much more Hungarian than I'm English. I don't know my percentage of Hungarian though, but I have to be somewhat, since I have a Hungarian last name.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Is your first name Bogdan or your last name? shifty
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Post by Roloman4 Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:02 pm

polska. wrote:Also, Rolo, The mongols slaughtered the Hungarians.

Poland stopped the Mongols while the Mongols were rampaging across the Hungarian plain. Obviously Poland would've lost anyway but we held them long enough at several key battles just for Genghis to die conveniently. smug

Hungary on the other hand lost battle after battle and the Hungarian lands had more dead than even in the times of the Black Death.

It wasn't the Poles either, they just left because they wanted to, after the death of Ogadei Khan.

The Mongols only attacked Poland after the main invasion had ended.

Last edited by Roloman4 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 pm

SBSP wrote:Is your first name Bogdan or your last name? shifty
    First name.

My country was founded by Romans and Dacians.

Cool History Bro.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    Forest wrote:

there there

Geography is the study of PHYSICAL Geography and HUMAN Geography.

Climate Change is heavily impacted on Human Influences, thus HUMAN Geography.

It can be classed as history when looking at it in the form of data collected over a period of time showing the changes in the climate, but when you look at what the actual changes are happening for, then it's all to do with Geography. All the pollution side of climate change is linked with Human Geography and human developments. Air transport is linked with human geography and the topic of interconnected worlds.

Also, impacts of climate change resulting in more natural hazards, which falls into the category of PHYSICAL Geography. Do you really think droughts, flooding, hurricanes etc are things which should be taught in history? Because they are all to do with the subject of climate change..
    You are separating the social studies into human history and human geography when they can't be separated.

Bold: That is paleoclimatology, not history.
    Underlined: Social Science, or Human Geography
    Italics: It's caused by events that could be covered in Human Geography but it is not geography. It is Meteorology.

BTW Air Transport has nothing to do with geography. If you are referring to the effects it has on human communications, that is a completely different branch of Social Science.

You were using Geography as a broad term before and I did not agree with it. Changing from Geography to the much more specific Human Geography which encompasses several other studies mid-way argument is improper.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Trust Rolo to come in and kill the thread. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Roloman4 wrote:
    polska. wrote:Also, Rolo, The mongols slaughtered the Hungarians.

It wasn't the Poles either, they just left because they wanted to, after the death of Ogadei Khan.

The Mongols only attacked Poland after the main invasion had ended.
    Jeez I wrote Genghis instead of Ogadei. Shows i haven't discussed History in awhile. Laughing

Those later invasions you refer too were by the Golden Horde. The Mongols led by Ogadei attacked Poland the same time they attacked Hungary.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:48 pm