Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
El Jefe
Marvin
crump
Childish Logic
Roloman4
Ben
Coatsy
The Zlatan
dena
Clark
Jamie
SBSP
Cadbury
ResurrectionRooney
Sean
19 posters

History Thread

Anonymous

History Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: History Thread

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm

What about the introduction of 3D TV and Cinema?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm

SBSP wrote:They don't teach geography as a subject in the US. Dry Smile It's basically part of history.
    In Canada they did. hehe

And I disagree, climate change has very little to do with the study of geography.
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 pm

The increase in the rejection of religion.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 pm

SBSP wrote:They don't teach geography as a subject in the US. Dry Smile It's basically part of history.

Judging from some Americans, I think they should Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Sean wrote:I think the rise (and fall) of the media is quite interesting, could even include the recent scandal with Rupert Murdoch.

This, it depends on the effects in the short and long term, cos it could be a massive thing in the way how the media is run etc

dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 pm

They are intertwined, teaching geography without history is like teaching.... I don't know, something important without it's relevent counterpart. Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

Insert your own analogy here.

Anyway, natural resources, trade, borders, and things like that which deal with geography naturally end up dealing with the politics of these areas too, then it becomes more standard history.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:22 pm

dena wrote:

They are intertwined, teaching geography without history is like teaching.... I don't know, something important without it's relevent counterpart. Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

Anyway, natural resources, trade, borders, and things like that which deal with geography naturally end up dealing with the politics of these areas too, then it becomes more standard history.
    I like it more when they teach it together TBH. It's technically called social science, but everyone calls it and focuses on history. Dry Smile
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:22 pm

dena wrote:

Teaching Physics without Maths?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:22 pm

First dark skinned President is a biggie, there's also what happened yesterday, the Global Financial Crisis (and what it might lead to in the future), the Tsunami, the 7/7 and 21/7 attacks in London, as well as the Madrid train bombings and the Bali bomb. The US and UK conquering Iraq and Afghanistan, and the awful lack of planning that went into them.

Saying that, I do think this will go down as an era of peacefulness, OK there were the terrorist attacks outlined above, but they killed what, 4,000 people altogether? Far more people are killed by cars, probably by falling off ladders in the same time period. There's no apocalyptic threat as there was in the Cold War, there are no major powers threatening to conquer each other, as there were for pretty much the whole of human history up until about 1990. Economies have become increasingly independent and weapons increasingly powerful resulting in war being an extremely undesirable outcome for any major powers. People are also wising up to the pointlessness of religion, becoming better educated, in the West at least.

If historians ever do look back on this period of history it'll be as the start of the golden age of humanity, if they don't, then it was the last good period before World War III and the end of civilisation in nuclear fire. Could be worse.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 pm

polska. wrote:
    In Canada they did. hehe

And I disagree, climate change has very little to do with the study of geography.

I had to go through about two years of geography where everything had something to do with climate change Dry Smile
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 pm

How is climate change geography?
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Its interesting though how's there no central figure in modern history, (well maybe BinLaden)
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Sean wrote:Its interesting though how's there no central figure in modern history, (well maybe BinLaden)

When has there been?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Bogdan wrote:How is climate change geography?

Geography is the study of land and it's features right? Climate change changes the features of the world, from air quality, to sea/ice levels etc., so it's intertwined
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Maybe geography is different in canada Neutral its all earthquakes and, Coastal environments and tsunamis and stuff, all of which could be increasing because of climate change, global warming, rising sea levels, etc.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm

There's the Human Geography side too, that's pretty interesting.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Sean wrote:Its interesting though how's there no central figure in modern history, (well maybe BinLaden)

It's never really one guy though, look at any 50-100/500 year period over the past 2000 years and you'll be hard pressed to find just "one dude" who is above all else.

Last edited by dena on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Coatsy

Post by Coatsy Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Any individual,political movements,social and economic changes etc.

Theres always plenty going on.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Cam wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    In Canada they did. hehe

I had to go through about two years of geography where everything had something to do with climate change Dry Smile
    Your school sucks then.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Geography was like maps and stuff from what I can remember. Can't remember much though since I only had it in grade nine and I had the world's most boring teacher.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:27 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:

When has there been?

Depends what your studying. Obviously you have your Hitler, then you have your Stalin's, Lenin's, Kennedy's etc. But I guess apart from War on Terror and the leaders involved in that, all the big events in our history has been a result of the majority, rather than 1 or 2 competing leaders/countries
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:27 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:First dark skinned President is a biggie, there's also what happened yesterday, the Global Financial Crisis (and what it might lead to in the future), the Tsunami, the 7/7 and 21/7 attacks in London, as well as the Madrid train bombings and the Bali bomb. The US and UK conquering Iraq and Afghanistan, and the awful lack of planning that went into them.

Saying that, I do think this will go down as an era of peacefulness, OK there were the terrorist attacks outlined above, but they killed what, 4,000 people altogether? Far more people are killed by cars, probably by falling off ladders in the same time period. There's no apocalyptic threat as there was in the Cold War, there are no major powers threatening to conquer each other, as there were for pretty much the whole of human history up until about 1990. Economies have become increasingly independent and weapons increasingly powerful resulting in war being an extremely undesirable outcome for any major powers. People are also wising up to the pointlessness of religion, becoming better educated, in the West at least.

If historians ever do look back on this period of history it'll be as the start of the golden age of humanity, if they don't, then it was the last good period before World War III and the end of civilisation in nuclear fire. Could be worse.
    Fuck WWIII, won't happen.

We are probably living in the Golden Age of humanity currently. If we do nothing, ecological collapse will fuck us over and over throughout the next century.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:27 pm

polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:
    polska. wrote:
    In Canada they did. hehe

Your school sucks then.

Really? rofl yeah mate, whatever you say
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Sean wrote:

When has there been?

Depends what your studying. Obviously you have your Hitler, then you have your Stalin's, Lenin's, Kennedy's etc. But I guess apart from War on Terror and the leaders involved in that, all the big events in our history has been a result of the majority, rather than 1 or 2 competing leaders/countries
    The four people you listed were within fifty years of each other, weren't they? shifty
    Clark
    Clark

Supports : Atheism

Post by Clark Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Well Geography was pretty shit, mainly just focusing on LEDC & MEDC, but I think it plays a part.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:28 pm

SBSP wrote:
    Sean wrote:

When has there been?

The four people you listed were within fifty years of each other, weren't they? shifty

I didnt say they were related to each other, I meant they were all central to the main events of their respective time periods
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Cam wrote:Maybe geography is different in canada Neutral its all earthquakes and, Coastal environments and tsunamis and stuff, all of which could be increasing because of climate change, global warming, rising sea levels, etc.
    Geography in Canada was about natural stuff. Way rivers form, sea currents, types of earthquakes and soils for that matter, land forms et cetera.
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:30 pm

The birth of cyberwarfare
    Clark
    Clark

Supports : Atheism

Post by Clark Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:30 pm

polska. wrote:
    Cam wrote:Maybe geography is different in canada Neutral its all earthquakes and, Coastal environments and tsunamis and stuff, all of which could be increasing because of climate change, global warming, rising sea levels, etc.
    Geography in Canada was about natural stuff. Way rivers form, sea currents, types of earthquakes and soils for that matter, land forms et cetera.

That was a lot of what we did, pretty much that, affects it has and LEDC's & MEDC's.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:30 pm

On a smaller side of history, things like the Ipswich prostitute killings might be remembered. Everyone knows of Jack the Ripper and that was years ago. Or the Yorkshire Ripper, Bulger killers,Moors Murderers etc

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:29 pm