Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Danny
Royal
Walcott
Barton
Cadbury
Mal
Cameron.
Mr. Hassard
12 posters

Ian Holloway on Wayne Rooney situation

Cameron.

Supports : Manchester United.

Ian Holloway on Wayne Rooney situation - Page 3 Empty Re: Ian Holloway on Wayne Rooney situation

Post by Cameron. Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:32 am

On us buying World Class players:

Van Nistelrooy was the equivalent of us now signing Dzeko, Hargreaves is Barry, Berbatov was bought from Spurs and only his price tag really sets him apart. Ferdinand and Rooney were both young english talents, far from established names. Ronaldo was a nobody, Keane was a promising youngster at Forest, Ryan Wilson was a child who looked like he could snap at any minute, Vidic was a promising young CB in Russia, Evra was that lunatic at Monaco, Cantona was a misfit at Leeds, Robson was destined for greatness but was still only at West Brom, McGrath was a scruffy Irish kid playing for his local club in Dublin, Law was an exciting young talent in Italy, Duncan Edwards, who I'm upset at having to include in a post referencing Wayne fucking Rooney, was impressing for an England Schools XI, Bobby Charlton was playing for East Northumberland Schools and so on and so on.

Veron is literally the only example, and he was a disaster. Manchester United's tradition is to gather the promising young players (late teens, early twenties) from across the land, and latterly the world, and turn them into greats. That's who we are, big name signings, global superstars, galacticos, have never been in our DNA. We don't buy legends, we make them, and this waste of flesh and talent's ignorance of our history is only slightly less disgusting than those fans who are willing to listen to his drivel.
    Anonymous

Ian Holloway on Wayne Rooney situation - Page 3 Empty Re: Ian Holloway on Wayne Rooney situation

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:32 am

Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:
    He doesn't want to be at that type of club though. If he wanted that he could of stayed at Everton.

He wants to win trophies, we do win trophies. He's won 9 with us in 6 years, and 26 individual awards since joining us in 2004. What makes him think he won't win any more trophies with us?

He wants to move because of money, and that's a load of rubbish. He makes a 6 figure sum every week. Every person in the world would do pretty much anything to earn what he's on, greedy bastard Neutral

So if Rooney leaves and goes abroad or to Chelsea and Man United don't win a trophy for the next 2 years. Would you forgive him because what predicted came true?

Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

So if they are bullshit they why are you protesting at the club. Yes it is in debt but you all think you have a squad capable at challenging for all trophies.

1. No other player has come out and said what Rooney is giving as his reasons to wanting to leave.

2. We do have a squad capable of challenging for trophies Neutral

1. Rooney is your only world class player except maybe Vidic. Vidic was also rumoured to want to leave. Wink

2. You don't have a squad capable. The past 3 years you've relied on a single player along. Ronaldo, Ronaldo then Rooney.
    Cameron.

Post by Cameron. Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:33 am

James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:
    He doesn't want to be at that type of club though. If he wanted that he could of stayed at Everton.

He wants to win trophies, we do win trophies. He's won 9 with us in 6 years, and 26 individual awards since joining us in 2004. What makes him think he won't win any more trophies with us?

He wants to move because of money, and that's a load of rubbish. He makes a 6 figure sum every week. Every person in the world would do pretty much anything to earn what he's on, greedy bastard Neutral

So if Rooney leaves and goes abroad or to Chelsea and Man United don't win a trophy for the next 2 years. Would you forgive him because what predicted came true?

Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

So if they are bullshit they why are you protesting at the club. Yes it is in debt but you all think you have a squad capable at challenging for all trophies.

1. No other player has come out and said what Rooney is giving as his reasons to wanting to leave.

2. We do have a squad capable of challenging for trophies Neutral

1. Rooney is your only world class player except maybe Vidic. Vidic was also rumoured to want to leave. Wink

2. You don't have a squad capable. The past 3 years you've relied on a single player along. Ronaldo, Ronaldo then Rooney.

Vidic, Evra.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:33 am

Chamz|94 wrote:On us buying World Class players:

Van Nistelrooy was the equivalent of us now signing Dzeko, Hargreaves is Barry, Berbatov was bought from Spurs and only his price tag really sets him apart. Ferdinand and Rooney were both young english talents, far from established names. Ronaldo was a nobody, Keane was a promising youngster at Forest, Ryan Wilson was a child who looked like he could snap at any minute, Vidic was a promising young CB in Russia, Evra was that lunatic at Monaco, Cantona was a misfit at Leeds, Robson was destined for greatness but was still only at West Brom, McGrath was a scruffy Irish kid playing for his local club in Dublin, Law was an exciting young talent in Italy, Duncan Edwards, who I'm upset at having to include in a post referencing Wayne fucking Rooney, was impressing for an England Schools XI, Bobby Charlton was playing for East Northumberland Schools and so on and so on.

Veron is literally the only example, and he was a disaster. Manchester United's tradition is to gather the promising young players (late teens, early twenties) from across the land, and latterly the world, and turn them into greats. That's who we are, big name signings, global superstars, galacticos, have never been in our DNA. We don't buy legends, we make them, and this waste of flesh and talent's ignorance of our history is only slightly less disgusting than those fans who are willing to listen to his drivel.

Spot on. Who was the last player we bought who at the time of buying him could be considered world class? Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:35 am

Danny B wrote:
    Chamz|94 wrote:On us buying World Class players:

Spot on. Who was the last player we bought who at the time of buying him could be considered world class? Neutral

If it isn't in your DNA then why did you "try" sign Benzema and Villa(which I don't think is true). Why do your fans want massive signings? This DNA thing doesn't seem to go through the whole club does it.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:36 am

James wrote:So if Rooney leaves and goes abroad or to Chelsea and Man United don't win a trophy for the next 2 years. Would you forgive him because what predicted came true?
    No Neutral

James wrote:1. Rooney is your only world class player except maybe Vidic. Vidic was also rumoured to want to leave. Wink

1. Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra. I consider VDS still one of the best keepers in the world, Nani's gonna be world class.... Neutral

2. They've just been our main player in the last 3 seasons, stop making us out to be a one man team Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:38 am

Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:So if Rooney leaves and goes abroad or to Chelsea and Man United don't win a trophy for the next 2 years. Would you forgive him because what predicted came true?
    No Neutral

James wrote:1. Rooney is your only world class player except maybe Vidic. Vidic was also rumoured to want to leave. Wink

1. Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra. I consider VDS still one of the best keepers in the world, Nani's gonna be world class.... Neutral

2. They've just been our main player in the last 3 seasons, stop making us out to be a one man team Laughing

Vidic is world class, I admitted that. Ferdiand is no longer world class and he is injury prone. VDS miles past it. Nani could be world class, he isn't yet.

You have been a one man team. Be honest with yourself, how well would you have done with Ronaldos 42 goal season and Rooneys goal haul last season? I know I wont get a true answer from you because you are biased.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:43 am

James wrote:
    Vidic is world class, I admitted that. Ferdiand is no longer world class and he is injury prone. VDS miles past it. Nani could be world class, he isn't yet.

You have been a one man team. Be honest with yourself, how well would you have done with Ronaldos 42 goal season and Rooneys goal haul last season? I know I wont get a true answer from you because you are biased.

Rio no longer world class Laughing Edwin past it, fuck me Laughing

2007/2008:
    Leading scorers:
    Ronaldo-42
    Tevez-19
    Rooney-18
    Saha-5 (only 10 starts)

One man team? Really? Neutral

When a player scores 42, or 34 in Rooney's case, in a single season, you cannot expect the other strikers to chip in with similar tallies. I've only ever seen that happen with Barca 2 seasons ago.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:46 am

Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

2007/2008:
    Leading scorers:
    Ronaldo-42
    Tevez-19
    Rooney-18
    Saha-5 (only 10 starts)

When a player scores 42, or 34 in Rooney's case, in a single season, you cannot expect the other strikers to chip in with similar tallies. I've only ever seen that happen with Barca 2 seasons ago.

Knew you wouldn't give me a straight answer. And Rio is world class on ability alone, but you have to take into the full package to call someone world class. He is injury prone which makes him not world class. There's tons of people that are world class in ability... Saha is one of them but because he is injury prone he isn't classed as it.
    Cameron.

Post by Cameron. Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:48 am

James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

2007/2008:
    Leading scorers:
    Ronaldo-42
    Tevez-19
    Rooney-18
    Saha-5 (only 10 starts)

Knew you wouldn't give me a straight answer. And Rio is world class on ability alone, but you have to take into the full package to call someone world class. He is injury prone which makes him not world class. There's tons of people that are world class in ability... Saha is one of them but because he is injury prone he isn't classed as it.

So Torres isn't World Class ?
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:48 am

James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

2007/2008:
    Leading scorers:
    Ronaldo-42
    Tevez-19
    Rooney-18
    Saha-5 (only 10 starts)

What more of an answer did you want? Did you expect Tevez and Rooney to be pushing towards 25-30 goals that season? Add together their tallies, you've got 79 goals between 3 players Neutral
    Royal
    Royal

Post by Royal Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:48 am

James wrote:
    We've been called a one man team for years now, but have still been very successful. Neutral
    Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney all apparently carried our team and we'd be nothing without them. They certainly helped, but 1 man does not win you trophies alone.

Fuck, you must think we're amazing if it only takes one of our players to win us all of those trophies.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 am

Royal Flush wrote:
    James wrote:
    We've been called a one man team for years now, but have still been very successful. Neutral
    Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney all apparently carried our team and we'd be nothing without them. They certainly helped, but 1 man does not win you trophies alone.

Fuck, you must think we're amazing if it only takes one of our players to win us all of those trophies.

Laughing Yeah, our defence in 2008/2009 was far from the main reason we won the league Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 am

Chamz|94 wrote:
    James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

2007/2008:
    Leading scorers:
    Ronaldo-42
    Tevez-19
    Rooney-18
    Saha-5 (only 10 starts)

So Torres isn't World Class ?

Course he is. He has proved that in recent seasons. Despite his injuries he still puts top performances in. Ferdinand has been dodgy for a while now.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:50 am

James wrote:
    Course he is. He has proved that in recent seasons. Despite his injuries he still puts top performances in. Ferdinand has been dodgy for a while now.

Last costly mistake that Ferdinand made?
    AriseForLife
    AriseForLife

Post by AriseForLife Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:51 am

James wrote:
    Can't buy your 3 year contract out. He can only pay off the remaining year of his contract as far as i'm aware. Alternatively they can keep him for the rest of the 18 months. Remember, football is a job. If anything, they are lucky they can tie them down to big contracts. In normal work you can hand your notice in and be out of their in a couple of months.

Maybe we should change the rules to reflect normal work?

I'm not saying he can buy out a 3 year contract. Article-17 states that a player that has served at least 3 years of their deal can then buy out the final year, or something to that effect. I don't have it memorized, but I'm sure you see where I am coming from.

I just think its a foolish rule because it basically has the potential to screw clubs out of millions.

Scuba Steve wrote:
    All he has said is that he is not signing a new contract. Not sure how that is not honoring a contract. Many people leave (teams, companies, etc. etc.) at the end of a contract. Or has he told you personally that he is going to buy himself out in the summer?

I know what he said, but by not signing a new deal do you really think Manchester United is just going to say okay lets keep him for the last 20 months and let him leave for free and we get nothing. By saying he isn't signing a new deal, he is basically forcing their hand and securing his transfer out of the club at some point before the end of his deal. He may not be breaching his contact, but his actions are basically the same thing as breaching it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:53 am

Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

Why does a mistake have to be costly. I can't remember one recently because he has been injured for alot of it. I do remember that one against Man City though. Where he tried to chip it over Bellamy. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:54 am

AriseForLife wrote:
    James wrote:
    Can't buy your 3 year contract out. He can only pay off the remaining year of his contract as far as i'm aware. Alternatively they can keep him for the rest of the 18 months. Remember, football is a job. If anything, they are lucky they can tie them down to big contracts. In normal work you can hand your notice in and be out of their in a couple of months.

Maybe we should change the rules to reflect normal work?

I'm not saying he can buy out a 3 year contract. Article-17 states that a player that has served at least 3 years of their deal can then buy out the final year, or something to that effect. I don't have it memorized, but I'm sure you see where I am coming from.

I just think its a foolish rule because it basically has the potential to screw clubs out of millions.

But people hand in notices at work all the time and just walk away. Football clubs are lucky they can tie players down to contracts and they can't walk away half way into a 5 year contract.
    AriseForLife
    AriseForLife

Post by AriseForLife Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:55 am

James wrote:

The argument that a team is a one-man team is very weak. Name one year in recent memory when a club didn't have ONE main player doing all of the scoring? Even if you look at Barcelona from two years ago, Messi still lead their scoring tally by a nice margin followed by Eto'o and Henry.

Point is all teams will have a scorer who is their one main weapon and then you have others that compliment that player. Look at Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, etc. Its a pattern that rings true for all teams and it will always be that way.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 am

James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

Why does a mistake have to be costly. I can't remember one recently because he has been injured for alot of it. I do remember that one against Man City though. Where he tried to chip it over Bellamy. Laughing

Exactly, last mistake was made a year ago. If he was "dodgey" he'd be famous for making those mistakes. A fully fit Rio Ferdinand is one of the best centre backs in the world. He probably won't ever be fully fit, but as close as he can to being fully fit, he's world class Neutral

Injury prone? One injury hit season out of 8 full ones at United makes him injury prone? When you pick up a bad injury, it's common that other ones follow.
    AriseForLife
    AriseForLife

Post by AriseForLife Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:58 am

James wrote:
    But people hand in notices at work all the time and just walk away. Football clubs are lucky they can tie players down to contracts and they can't walk away half way into a 5 year contract.

This isn't like working a a normal 9-5 job either. People don't get paid £100,000/week, have access to the best trainers and facilities in the world and not have to worry about much except training and playing in matches. That is the reason why they are signing contracts. If clubs didn't invest as much money into the players as they do then contacts wouldn't exist.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US if you sign a contract in a normal corporate job and you breach that contact you are held liable for expenses. The notices that people hand in at work are not the same level of jobs.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:59 am

Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    James wrote:

Exactly, last mistake was made a year ago. If he was "dodgey" he'd be famous for making those mistakes. A fully fit Rio Ferdinand is one of the best centre backs in the world. He probably won't ever be fully fit, but as close as he can to being fully fit, he's world class Neutral

Injury prone? One injury hit season out of 8 full ones at United makes him injury prone? When you pick up a bad injury, it's common that other ones follow.

How often has he played since that mistake against Man City? A couple of years ago, Ferdinand was one of the best in the world, but not anymore now he has all these injuries. Being world class means consistency... When he comes back from injury he needs games to get back into it, compared to Torres who has been coming back from injury and scoring goals all except this season which is mainly down to the team not playing well.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:00 am

AriseForLife wrote:
    Scuba Steve wrote:
    All he has said is that he is not signing a new contract. Not sure how that is not honoring a contract. Many people leave (teams, companies, etc. etc.) at the end of a contract. Or has he told you personally that he is going to buy himself out in the summer?

I know what he said, but by not signing a new deal do you really think Manchester United is just going to say okay lets keep him for the last 20 months and let him leave for free and we get nothing. By saying he isn't signing a new deal, he is basically forcing their hand and securing his transfer out of the club at some point before the end of his deal. He may not be breaching his contact, but his actions are basically the same thing as breaching it.

That is irrelevant. Every club, including Manchester United, know that is the risk when you sign a player. If they don't sign again, then you have to make the decision to either sell them or let them walk for free. In no way is that even remotely close to breaching a contract.

In addition, he gave them two years and three transfer windows to decide whether or not they were going to sell him or not. It's not as if he waited until the end of the contract to tell them that, when they would have had no choice to make.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:01 am

AriseForLife wrote:
    James wrote:

This isn't like working a a normal 9-5 job either. People don't get paid £100,000/week, have access to the best trainers and facilities in the world and not have to worry about much except training and playing in matches. That is the reason why they are signing contracts. If clubs didn't invest as much money into the players as they do then contacts wouldn't exist.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US if you sign a contract in a normal corporate job and you breach that contact you are held liable for expenses. The notices that people hand in at work are not the same level of jobs.

Basically, you guys basically want a player to honour his contract then if the club still wants him the player can't go anywhere? How is that fair on the player?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:02 am

Scuba Steve wrote:
    AriseForLife wrote:
    Scuba Steve wrote:

That is irrelevant. Every club, including Manchester United, know that is the risk when you sign a player. If they don't sign again, then you have to make the decision to either sell them or let them walk for free. In no way is that even remotely close to breaching a contract.

In addition, he gave them two years and three transfer windows to decide whether or not they were going to sell him or not. It's not as if he waited until the end of the contract to tell them that, when they would have had no choice to make.

Exactly. If he was that bad he could of just gone along with it all, keeping it away from the media. Then in 14 months time with 6 months on his contract left say he isn't signing the deal.
    AriseForLife
    AriseForLife

Post by AriseForLife Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:09 am

Scuba Steve wrote:

Its not irrelevant. Rooney and his agent knew what they were doing. To avoid having to breach his contact, he just said hey I won't sign a new deal and this will force the club to either let me walk in 20 months or sell me for peanuts.

Not to mention just before the World Cup he was quoted on numerous credible websites as saying he was ready to finish his career at Manchester United, but according to Ferguson yesterday, Gill was informed on August 14th that Rooney wasn't signing a new deal. So in 3 months he went from wanting to wrap it up at United, to now I don't think the club are ambitious enough so I want to leave.

He didn't give them two years and three windows. Prior to all this nonsense Rooney himself said he has never wanted to leave United, blah blah blah, so basically this is making him look like a complete fool and liar because it completely contradicts things he himself has been recorded in the press as saying.

Right.

James wrote:
    Basically, you guys basically want a player to honour his contract then if the club still wants him the player can't go anywhere? How is that fair on the player?

...and how is it fair to the club to be told one thing by the player and then suddenly have them do something else?

Perfect example: Emmanuel Adebayor signed a new deal and then had a breakout season and suddenly felt he should be making Thierry Henry level money after scoring 31 goals. Arsenal ended up altering his deal for a 2nd time in 2 years to the point he was making £90,000/week and yet he still wasn't happy and was talking about leaving for Milan, and countless other clubs. Players hold more power than the contacts they sign for clubs.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:11 am

AriseForLife wrote:Basically, you guys basically want a player to honour his contract then if the club still wants him the player can't go anywhere? How is that fair on the player?

...and how is it fair to the club to be told one thing by the player and then suddenly have them do something else?

Perfect example: Emmanuel Adebayor signed a new deal and then had a breakout season and suddenly felt he should be making Thierry Henry level money after scoring 31 goals. Arsenal ended up altering his deal for a 2nd time in 2 years to the point he was making £90,000/week and yet he still wasn't happy and was talking about leaving for Milan, and countless other clubs. Players hold more power than the contacts they sign for clubs.[/quote]

Basically what Holloway is talking about.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 am

AriseForLife wrote:

We dont know if he is joining another club yet do we ?
    As you probably know by now he is having a though time in his life and maybe he just wants to quit football for a short period or maybe forever ?
    Or maybe he just does not want to make life commitments at this stage because of all the stuff going around in his personal life ?
    Just because a player does not renew a contract does not mean they are forcing a transfer does it ?
    What if they want to retire ?

We cant assume he wants to force a transfer yet untill we have facts to support that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:43 pm