Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Laurencio
GK01
Weather130
Scouser_Dave
Childish Logic
dena
Dobson
11 posters

Liverpool Owners Knew Nothing About Liverpool

Anonymous

Liverpool Owners Knew Nothing About Liverpool Empty Liverpool Owners Knew Nothing About Liverpool

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Liverpool owner John W Henry admits he knew "virtually nothing" about the club or English football before his Fenway Sports Group [FSG] completed their takeover at Anfield a year ago.

On Saturday it will be 12 months to the day that it was confirmed that the American company had assumed control of the Reds.

Since then Henry has overseen Kenny Dalglish's appointment as manager and a significant spending spree on new players such as Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

In an interview with The Guardian, FSG's chiefs have explained they were attracted to buying Liverpool after considering the financial potential of the club's global following.

Henry saw parallels between the Merseyside outfit's situation and that of Major League Baseball side Boston Red Sox when FSG took them over in 2002 - and the opportunity to perform a similar reviving act in a sport with greater international appeal.

But when asked what he knew about Liverpool and English football before being alerted to the club's financial difficulties last August, the 62-year-old said: "Very little. We knew virtually nothing about Liverpool Football Club nor EPL [the Premier League]."

Tom Werner of FSG, who is now Liverpool's chairman, also had limited knowledge of the Reds.

"I had been in sports so I was aware of the EPL and its strength globally," Werner said. "But I didn't know the inner workings of it. I certainly knew about Manchester United."
    Dobson
    Dobson

Liverpool Owners Knew Nothing About Liverpool Empty Re: Liverpool Owners Knew Nothing About Liverpool

Post by Dobson Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Well they have done a great job so far considering they knew nothing.
    dena
    dena

Liverpool Owners Knew Nothing About Liverpool Empty Re: Liverpool Owners Knew Nothing About Liverpool

Post by dena Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm shocked
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Cool story bro. Wanna tell me something i didn't know???
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Americans knowing nothing about Football....... Never!!! Laughing
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:30 pm

ahlycotc wrote:
    Liverpool owner John W Henry admits he knew "virtually nothing" about the club or English football before his Fenway Sports Group [FSG] completed their takeover at Anfield a year ago.

On Saturday it will be 12 months to the day that it was confirmed that the American company had assumed control of the Reds.

Since then Henry has overseen Kenny Dalglish's appointment as manager and a significant spending spree on new players such as Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

In an interview with The Guardian, FSG's chiefs have explained they were attracted to buying Liverpool after considering the financial potential of the club's global following.

Henry saw parallels between the Merseyside outfit's situation and that of Major League Baseball side Boston Red Sox when FSG took them over in 2002 - and the opportunity to perform a similar reviving act in a sport with greater international appeal.

But when asked what he knew about Liverpool and English football before being alerted to the club's financial difficulties last August, the 62-year-old said: "Very little. We knew virtually nothing about Liverpool Football Club nor EPL [the Premier League]."

Tom Werner of FSG, who is now Liverpool's chairman, also had limited knowledge of the Reds.

"I had been in sports so I was aware of the EPL and its strength globally," Werner said. "But I didn't know the inner workings of it. I certainly knew about Manchester United."
    I can see this vision right now of these guys looking at the table of the season before they took over and the fixture list for the upcoming season. I could see them saying something like "gee that's strange these teams weren't listed last year and three teams are missing! We better call up the league to fix this." Laughing

These guys also own a motor sports so I wonder if that situation was the same or not. It is always fun to get involved with a sports venue for a sport that you are clueless about.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:30 pm

We knew this, this time last year Neutral
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Post by GK01 Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Weather130 wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:
    I can see this vision right now of these guys looking at the table of the season before they took over and the fixture list for the upcoming season. I could see them saying something like "gee that's strange these teams weren't listed last year and three teams are missing! We better call up the league to fix this." Laughing

These guys also own a motor sports so I wonder if that situation was the same or not. It is always fun to get involved with a sports venue for a sport that you are clueless about.

They probably just used wiki, which explains the promotion and relegation system shifty
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:02 pm

I reckon they knew virtually nothing before they decided to buy a club. Once that was out of the way I'm sure they did whatever research they deemed necessary, checked the clubs history, financial potential and what not. They do not really strike me as someone who just buys a club to buy. He admitts that one of the reasons they went with Liverpool was because they had been dominant in the past and they wanted to rebuild that, so clearly he must have known "something" about the club.
    thechampion
    thechampion

Post by thechampion Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:37 am

No surprises there.
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 am

No surprise there really,Venkys thought relegation wasn't possible Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 am

The fella who works for FSG, who was a Liverpool fan emailed them about Liverpool.

not worthy
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 am

The last line is rather amusing.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 am

nice ass
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:36 am

Well at least LeBron is heading over to educate himself as for the others the situation might be hopeless. After their beloved Red Sox choked and fell apart at the end of the season they are so depressed that they do not want to be seen in public.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:06 pm