Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Zzonked
Sean
VivaRonaldoLAD
Theo Filippo
Barton
Lux
Childish Logic
superspurs1337
Muhkoo
jeb4eva
Demoz
Kelloggg8
RafaVDV
Roloman4
dena
ResurrectionRooney
Pippo
SBSP
El_indian
Bye_Ya
menalawyerguy
GK01
Mustangt125
mac
28 posters

Republican Nominees

Poll

Who would you vote for?

[ 2 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left6%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left6%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left3%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [3%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left9%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left13%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 14 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left44%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left0%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left9%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left3%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [3%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_left0%Republican Nominees - Page 33 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]

Total Votes: 32
    Poll closed
    Anonymous

Republican Nominees - Page 33 Empty Re: Republican Nominees

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:45 pm

ilJuventino wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:He wrote a good book about General Longstreet and Gettysburg that I read for a school project. Republican Nominees - Page 33 214775 He seemed pretty solid on his history, even the false bits.

He's pretty good on U.S. history, yes. However, there's so much shit that he spews that he backs up by simply saying: "Look, I'm a historian..."
    My post was facetious. Republican Nominees - Page 33 279869
    Anonymous

Yay another dumb question.

Thanks Paul for being sensible.
    Anonymous

Wrong, Mitt. Wrong again.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Lu❣️s Suarez wrote:Yay another dumb question.

Thanks Paul for being sensible.
    And she is an attorney facepalm Anyone with half a brain knows how religion affects a politician's stances on issues.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 pm

ahlycotc wrote:Oooooh very good question.
    -_-
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Mitt just said Jefferson's writings were based on "Judeo-Christian" principles. facepalm

That's it for tonight. I give up.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I can't wait for the day we have an openly atheist politician running for president.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:I can't wait for the day we have an openly atheist politician running for president.
    The political ads in that election will be nasty.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Matt Damon in an advert cheers
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Or when retards like three of those candidates realize that the founding fathers were individuals that believed in a separation of church and state. And that all of their ideas were influenced by Locke, Montesquieu etc, not Jesus.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Gingrich is only running to impress his grandchildren. How adorable.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Santorum, Gingrich, and Romney bad mouth each other, but give Paul respect and don't attack him. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:Gingrich is only running to impress his grandchildren. How adorable.

Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Tonight was definitely the Roast of Newton.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:04 pm

I just can't see Santorum nor Gingrich as President of the most powerful nation in the world Republican Nominees - Page 33 58503
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Gay Johnson all the way.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Me neither. I think if Rick or Newt are elected they would loose devastatingly to Obama.

I can see Ron Paul or Romney as president though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:15 pm

ilJuventino wrote:Gay Johnson all the way.
    If you are referring to whom I believe you are Republican Nominees - Page 33 950455
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Romney and Paul are the only ones who can get the votes of independents and swing voters. Gingrich and Santorum will get raped in a general election. Just look at how bad they are getting roasted in a Republican debate. Imagine the attacks coming from Obama and the Democratic party later.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:14 am

Before the debate yesterday, Romney and Gingrich were basically tied in polls. Now, Romney has a 9 point lead over Gingrich. Florida is a winner-takes-all sate.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Here is an article about the moon colony that Gingrich is talking about...

Forget Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine – Newt Gingrich wants to colonise the moon.

"By the end of my second term [2020], we will have the first permanent base on the moon and it will be American," the Republican US presidential hopeful told a cheering crowd in Cocoa, Florida, a town with links to the space industry.

A whopping budget deficit and cuts to the military do not seem to have dampened Gingrich’s astronomically expensive plans for a lunar colony with 13,000 residents.

"I want you to help me in Florida and across the country so you can someday say you were there the day it was announced that we’d have commercial space, moon colony and moving toward Mars," he said on Wednesday, comparing himself to John F Kennedy and the Wright Brothers [who invented airplanes].

“We clearly have a capacity that the Russians and the Chinese will never come anywhere close to matching."

Out of this world

Candidates clashed over the space programme, and Gingrich’s plans, during Thursday’s Republican debate.

"I spent 25 years in business. If I had a business executive come to me and say they wanted to spend a few hundred billion dollars to put a colony on the moon, I’d say, ‘You’re fired,’" Mitt Romney, Republican front runner, told the audience in response to Gingrich’s plan.

Rick Santorum, another Republican challenger, called Gingrich’s space plans "crass politics" which pandered to voters in Florida without addressing the US’s fiscal problems.

NASA, the organisation which would manage such a scheme, declined to comment on the plans. A spokesman told Al Jazeera the agency could not speak about anything related to the campaign.

Alan Boyle, an award winning science journalist who follows the US space programme, said that just to put humans on the moon would cost more than $100bn.

"Building a base would require significantly more expense," he told Al Jazeera. "Gingrich thinks private-sector innovation would produce some savings", but plans of this nature would "require a dramatic upswing in NASA spending".

Republicans generally claim to detest "big government" spending initiatives – and a moon base, like the military, certainly fits into this category.

In an attempt to deflect criticism of a promise which would almost invariably require massive outlays of federal cash, Gingrich said he will entice the private sector to increase its involvement by offering "prizes", although specific details have not been forthcoming.

"How big would the prizes need to be to stimulate commercial plans for a base?" wondered Jeff Foust, editor of spacepolitics.com. "The space programme has gone through an extended period of uncertainty," he told Al Jazeera.

'Cold War mentality'

During the Cold War and the space race against the former USSR, the US committed about five per cent of its GDP to the Apollo space mission, said Ian O'Neill, a space science producer with Discovery News.

"NASA gets less than half a per cent of today’s GDP; they simply can’t afford this," O'Neill told Al Jazeera. "He is trying to invigorate a Cold War mentality, which is very different from the world we live in today."

Romney, for his part, promised to create a commission of experts to study the space programme. Barack Obama, the US president, established a similar body – the Augustine commission – where experts could make recommendations for NASA’s future.

In 2010, Obama announced plans for a new spacecraft, designed for long journeys, to be operational by 2025. He wants humans to be able to orbit Mars by the mid-2030s.

"Bush, in 2004, wanted to get back to the moon by 2020," Foust said. "NASA was behind schedule, according to Obama’s committee [established in 2009], and [Obama] decided not to develop Constellation – the next generation of space ships – but focused on commercial travel instead."

"Debates about space often blur party lines," he said, adding that no one, including Gingrich, has provided a convincing reason for building a moon base, other than "national prestige".

Major oil companies are some of the only commercial entities with the resources to finance moon projects. Prospects of commercial mining on the moon, specifically related to the energy resource Helium-3, have been cited as a reason for establishing a long-term human presence.

"There is a lot of research going into fusion power plants," O'Neill said of an energy technology that experts hope will work in a similar fashion to the sun, generating plentiful, pollution free power here on earth. "Helium-3 covers the moon’s surface and it would be a viable fuel source to generate power", however, the technology with which to establish fusion reactors with the moon’s plentiful energy source is at least "decades away" he said.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/01/2012127154624640211.html
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:39 pm

I am ashamed of Gingrich's space comments. facepalm They are an embarrassment to the whole field. facepalm
    Kelloggg8

Formerly known as : QwertyKirby
    Supports : CF América, Toronto FC

Post by Kelloggg8 Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:42 pm

^ Haven't seen a Canadian with so much interest for the US republican nominations Coffee
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Kelloggg8 wrote:^ Haven't seen a Canadian with so much interest for the US republican nominations Republican Nominees - Page 33 28973
    To be fair, it should be in the interests of everyone worldwide to learn about who is attempting to become perhaps the most powerful man in the world.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Herman Cain just announced that he will endorse Newt Gingrich. Republican party fail.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Florida primary tomorrow. Here are the polls so far...

According to a Quinnipiac University survey released Monday, 43% of people likely to vote in Tuesday's primary say they back Romney, with 29% supporting Gingrich.
    The poll indicates 11% back Rep. Ron Paul of Texas and an equal amount support former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania. Seven percent of people questioned say they are undecided, with 24% indicating they could change their minds.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 am

It makes me mad that Gingrich can have so much support. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:29 am

SBSP wrote:It makes me mad that Gingrich can have so much support. Neutral
    What I would give for Ron Paul to be in with a shout.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:36 am

ahlycotc wrote:Herman Cain just announced that he will endorse Newt Gingrich. Republican party fail.

The adulterers that constantly rail about the sanctity of marriage are banding together. Good for them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 am

Imagine Gingrich as President and Cain as VP facepalm

Hopefully Chris Christie runs in 4 years though. The US could have done with him now, to be honest.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:51 pm