Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
bcfcben
Lux
Kuled
Harrold
Keanoo
Drake
Cadbury
luke.
Muhkoo
Grenade
GK01
15 posters

Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size?

Anonymous

Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size? Empty Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:33 pm

3 biggest..

Old Trafford - 75'000
    The Emirates - 60'000
    St James' Park - 52'000

After that all the clubs stadiums are hardly worth talking about. Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City all have less capacity than lots of teams in Germany, Turkey, China, Italy, Spain and so on where if you are a decent team your stadium is 50'000+

Surely the most watched league in the world should bring in a hell of alot more funds with bigger stadiums.

List of Stadiums here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_by_capacity

Discuss.
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size? Empty Re: Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size?

Post by GK01 Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Some of the major teams in Australia have stadiums around equal the capacity of St. James Park Laughing

Last edited by GK01 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot in Australia)
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size? Empty Re: Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size?

Post by Grenade Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:49 pm

inbe4armchairsupporters.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Italy, Spain and Germany with club stadiums as big or bigger than St James' Park...

Italy
    Ac + Inter - 80'000
    Lazio, Roma, Italy - 72'000
    Napoli - 60'000
    Bari - 58'000

7 clubs / 4 Stadiums

Spain
    Barcelona - 99'000
    Real Madrid - 80'000
    Valencia - 55'000
    Atletico - 54'000
    Real Betis - 52'000

5 clubs

Germany
    Borussia Dortmund - 80'000
    Hertha BSC - 74'000
    FC Bayern Munich, TSV 1860 München - 69'000
    FC Schalke 04 - 61'000
    VfB Stuttgart - 60'000
    Hamburger SV - 57'000
    Borussia Mönchengladbach - 54'000
    Eintracht Frankfurt - 52'000

8 clubs.

Most of these countries mid-table teams have a bigger stadium than Chelsea.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Too many people sit at home watching it on tv and streams.

Mainly due to ticket prices and the fact everyone has to sit down, why go to a game and sit down if you can sit at home, be warm and watch it? That's how most look at it.

In Germany, ticket prices are way cheaper and there are standing areas. Not so sure about Italy but i'm gonna assume rules on standing are relaxed there seeing as they are allowed flares.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Post by Grenade Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Chris wrote:Italy, Spain and Germany with club stadiums as big or bigger than St James' Park...

Italy
    Ac + Inter - 80'000
    Lazio, Roma, Italy - 72'000
    Napoli - 60'000
    Bari - 58'000

7 clubs / 4 Stadiums

Spain
    Barcelona - 99'000
    Real Madrid - 80'000
    Valencia - 55'000
    Atletico - 54'000
    Real Betis - 52'000

5 clubs

Germany
    Borussia Dortmund - 80'000
    Hertha BSC - 74'000
    FC Bayern Munich, TSV 1860 München - 69'000
    FC Schalke 04 - 61'000
    VfB Stuttgart - 60'000
    Hamburger SV - 57'000
    Borussia Mönchengladbach - 54'000
    Eintracht Frankfurt - 52'000

8 clubs.

Most of these countries mid-table teams have a bigger stadium than Chelsea.
    Juventus opened their new stadium yesterday I think that's bigger than ST James too. The thing with English football is that their biggest clubs stadiums are not on par with the rest of the world but many smaller clubs have huge stadiums. In the npower league 2 a few teams have 20/25k+ seaters Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:23 pm

actually u are wrong. maybe some italian stadiums are bigger but the facilities, transport, customer friendly element etc is very poor

i have been to napoli

that stadium is shit many seats are broken and the toilets are not suitable for human beings

english stadiums are the world leader in this moment for experience, access and qualitiy of facilities

stdium capacity does not mean so much if u cannot fill these stadiums. in italy is different to england, in england only limited epl games are shown on tv due to british siphoning listing so people are more incline to go to game rather then watch on tv

but in italy, all games is shown live whenever u want u just press red button u can watch all games. so italian fan is become lazy and doesnt go to match. so these big 60000 stadium having many empty seats

also u must not forget, most of the biggest italian stadium was built/renoavated by italian government for world cup in 1990. also italian team do not own these stadiums. the people that own these are the councils or in stadio olimpico case, is own by italian olympic comitee

juventus is first team in serie a to own their own stadium, everyone else is rent from councils and other third parties

only other teams in minor amatuer leagues in italy is own their own stadium
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Because the last 20 years , we couldn't afford to build a new stadium or expand it.

Plus the council are knobs. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Brisbane Roars stadium, Suncorp Stadium has about 52 500 Razz
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I get the teams that have stadiums inside citys, can't be easy to expand and they'd have to move which Liverpool and Chelsea should have done years ago. I don't get why Manchester City haven't got at least 80.000 yet, they might not have that many fans but the ambitions are there and should have a stadium like that. Amsterdam Arena holds 52.960 while Feyenoord's De Kuip holds 49.000 and the city council are in the works for a stadium with 80.000+ capacity. In denmark our largest stadium only holds 38k, down from 42k.

Facilities are important, the best one i've tried were in the Amsterdam Arena or Daytona International Speedway in Florida.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Not enough space. Basically.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:45 pm

We sell out every week, Every single one of the 51k seats. smug
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Jelavic9|RFC wrote:We sell out every week, Every single one of the 51k seats. Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size? 601554

That wasn't the question.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Posting off topic isn't cool Jela. You keep doing it. Neutral

@Luke - I don't think that's strictly true, maybe in London but throughout the rest of the country teams have built new stadiums. The simple fact is that there is no need for Chelsea, Man City, Villa and more to have bigger stadiums. If a club filled their stadium constantly they would be retarded not to expand or build.
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Well where a town and a small club compared to the Uniteds and Arsenal so our stadium gets 29,000 some times but never 31,000 i blame sky though.
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Jelavic9|RFC wrote:We sell out every week, Every single one of the 51k seats. smug

That's a lie. I've seen games with lots of empty seats at Ibrox.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:28 pm

The council won't allow Bristol City to build a new stadium. I know that doesn't answer the whole question. I pressume that a lot of the other major cities in the country don't have the space to build one. Some of the other areas I don't really know. Perhaps look into in further if it's something really interests you. I'm sure there is a lot of valid reasons for it.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Jelavic9|RFC wrote:We sell out every week, Every single one of the 51k seats. Why are EPL teams behind in Stadium size? 601554
    That's a lie.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Kuled wrote:
    That's a lie.
    I think most people knew that.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:35 pm

James wrote:Posting off topic isn't cool Jela. You keep doing it. Neutral

@Luke - I don't think that's strictly true, maybe in London but throughout the rest of the country teams have built new stadiums. The simple fact is that there is no need for Chelsea, Man City, Villa and more to have bigger stadiums. If a club filled their stadium constantly they would be retarded not to expand or build.

We've been looking to move stadium since 2004.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Post by Grenade Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Wtf Jela you still act like a twat ?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:45 pm

There's too many big clubs within a small distance of each other.

In the North West alone you've got Liverpool, Everton, Man United, Man City all with reasonably large grounds. Then you've got other PL teams and Championship clubs competing with these for fans in that area such as Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, Burnley etc. Plus even more littler clubs such as Bury, Preston, Rochdale, Accrington etc.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Jun your sig. rofl rofl rofl
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:47 pm

luke. wrote:
    James wrote:Posting off topic isn't cool Jela. You keep doing it. Neutral

You have to stop acting like Chelsea are some special club, they aren't. If Chelsea where that desperate to move, they would. Obviously it's just a case of being fine where they are and if the opportunity comes where the move is prefect then they'll do it.

Some clubs NEED a new stadium, these clubs will find the space.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 pm

It costs a lot more to build stadiums in England.

Juventus' new stadium cost them 100 million Euros. If a London club built a 40,000 seat stadium it would probably cost closer to 400 million euros.
    bcfcben

Supports : Birmingham City

Post by bcfcben Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Because it would be pointless for most of the teams to have a big stadium as they don't fill out their current capacity eg Wigan, Blackburn etc. Even teams like Villa and Sunderland dont fill out their stadiums each week.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 pm

James wrote:
    luke. wrote:

You have to stop acting like Chelsea are some special club, they aren't. If Chelsea where that desperate to move, they would. Obviously it's just a case of being fine where they are and if the opportunity comes where the move is prefect then they'll do it.

I'm not acting like we're a special club... I'm just saying that Chelsea have been looking to move stadium since 2004, but haven't been able to as their isn't enough space in West London.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:57 pm

A lot of the stadiums mention allow standing, which will boost their capacity above all seaters. In terms of the stadium as a facility, we've got some of the best in the world. There's a number of factors as to why some larger clubs don't have huge capacities. Cost, build site etc. are just two that have been mentioned already.

With us, there's been many plans to expand the ground, or even move to a completely new one. It's not easy to do so, a lot of work goes into it.
    VivaRonaldoLAD
    VivaRonaldoLAD

Supports : Giggsy 12-0 Gerrard

Post by VivaRonaldoLAD Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:00 am

Because all the BPL stadiums you mentioned are full everyweek, San Siro is rarely full unless they play each other, most teams in La Liga have emtpy seats everywhere apart from Barca and Madrid. German stadiums I've seen are full regularly though, and I cant comment on Turkish league.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:03 am

luke. wrote:
    James wrote:

I'm not acting like we're a special club... I'm just saying that Chelsea have been looking to move stadium since 2004, but haven't been able to as their isn't enough space in West London.

I'd say a bigger obstacle to you moving is that you won't be allowed to call yourselves Chelsea Football Club if you do. There's an unusual arrangement whereby if you leave Stamford Bridge the name falls into another group's hands.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:02 pm