Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
SBSP
Childish Logic
Jess
Sean
GK01
Gegilworld93
ricky//habana
Grenade
Jord
Lux
Zzonked
ResurrectionRooney
16 posters

Is suicide for the weak minded?

Poll

Yes or No?

[ 16 ]
    Is suicide for the weak minded? Bar_left59%Is suicide for the weak minded? Bar_right [59%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Is suicide for the weak minded? Bar_left41%Is suicide for the weak minded? Bar_right [41%] 

Total Votes: 27
    Anonymous

Is suicide for the weak minded? Empty Is suicide for the weak minded?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:11 am

Me and a few others were having a little chat about it in the Arsenal thread so I thought I would make a thread.

Discuss.
    Anonymous

Is suicide for the weak minded? Empty Re: Is suicide for the weak minded?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:22 am

No.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 am

"Weak" minded might not be the best term for it. You'd have to have some sort of mental illness to go through with it though.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:25 am

No, there are plenty of scenarios where suicide is the best option for a person. It is frowned upon far too much in our society. There's nothing inherently valuable about a life where people will be miserable, the main reason it is frowned upon is memetic, the societies which don't mind people killing themselves don't tend to last as long.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 am

RobbieSavageIsA... wrote:"Weak" minded might not be the best term for it. You'd have to have some sort of mental illness to go through with it though.

Bollocks. You go to the Doctors tomorrow and you find out you've got some horrible disease, means you're shortly going to go blind and then you're going to suffer in ever increasing agony for the next 10 years before finally dying, you'd have to have a mental illness (such as Christianity) not to go through with that.

If I ever got Alzheimer's disease or something like that I think I'd top myself, or if Wayne Rooney signed for Manchester City, sometimes life just isn't worth living.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:32 am

No.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:41 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    RobbieSavageIsA... wrote:"Weak" minded might not be the best term for it. You'd have to have some sort of mental illness to go through with it though.

Bollocks. You go to the Doctors tomorrow and you find out you've got some horrible disease, means you're shortly going to go blind and then you're going to suffer in ever increasing agony for the next 10 years before finally dying, you'd have to have a mental illness (such as Christianity) not to go through with that.

If I ever got Alzheimer's disease or something like that I think I'd top myself, or if Wayne Rooney signed for Manchester City, sometimes life just isn't worth living.

Alzheimer's is a mental illness. So is being a Manchester United fan.

And if I were to get that horrible disease, I'd have to be seriously depressed about it to even come close to committing suicide.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:43 am

You know what I fucking mean, it wouldn't be mental illness causing me to contemplate suicide, it'd be the fact it'd make my life shit and make me a burden on people.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:45 am

Depends on the reason.

If it's because of depression then yes.

If you're in some weird scenario where you're saving lives, or you are going to get some disease like Alzheimer's....full paralysis etc....then yeah I wouldn't really blame someone for that.

Last edited by Lux on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:45 am

In the end, anyone can live with their life with enough determination. It all comes down to the mind, somebody could be tortured, but with enough mental strength they can overcome with torture without the need to kill themselves. It is for the weak minded, in my opinion.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:You know what I fucking mean, it wouldn't be mental illness causing me to contemplate suicide, it'd be the fact it'd make my life shit and make me a burden on people.

But you wouldn't just be a little down in the dumps about it, you'd have to be seriously depressed for it to come to that. Depression is a mental illness.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:49 am

RobbieSavageIsA... wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:You know what I fucking mean, it wouldn't be mental illness causing me to contemplate suicide, it'd be the fact it'd make my life shit and make me a burden on people.

But you wouldn't just be a little down in the dumps about it, you'd have to be seriously depressed for it to come to that. Depression is a mental illness.

It's not a real illness, depression. Anyway, I'm not depressed now but I know if I ever was having a shit life like that, thinking people were alive who were actually dead, not being able to wipe my own arse properly or dress myself, having to rely on family or nurses to do it for me, I wouldn't want to be alive any more. It's not a symptom of any illness, it's a rational thought process.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:50 am

Lux wrote:Depends on the reason.

If it's because of depression then yes.

If you're in some weird scenario where you're saving lives, or you are going to get some disease like Alzheimer's....full paralysis etc....then yeah I wouldn't really blame someone for that.
    It really is disgusting that you call people who are depressed 'weak minded', for some people life is shit and they don't want to carry on with it, that's their right.
    Jord wrote:In the end, anyone can live with their life with enough determination. It all comes down to the mind, somebody could be tortured, but with enough mental strength they can overcome with torture without the need to kill themselves. It is for the weak minded, in my opinion.
    What about you, Jord, are you weak minded?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:52 am

It's not a real illness, depression. Anyway, I'm not depressed now but I know if I ever was having a shit life like that, thinking people were alive who were actually dead, not being able to wipe my own arse properly or dress myself, having to rely on family or nurses to do it for me, I wouldn't want to be alive any more. It's not a symptom of any illness, it's a rational thought process.

Yes it is.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 am

No it isn't. Address the rest of my point please.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:57 am

My uncle committed suicide because his kid died, his wife left him and he lost his job. Suffocated in his car but changed his mind at last minute and tried to get out. Stupid fucker locked the door.

Totally understand why he did it though.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, how can it not be a real illness?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:06 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:No it isn't. Address the rest of my point please.

Yes it is. Was the rest of your post concerning Alzheimer's? Like I said, that's a mental illness as well.

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Anyway, I'm not depressed now but I know if I ever was having a shit life like that, thinking people were alive who were actually dead, not being able to wipe my own arse properly or dress myself, having to rely on family or nurses to do it for me, I wouldn't want to be alive any more. It's not a symptom of any illness, it's a rational thought process.

How is that a rational thought process? If the Alzheimer's was that bad, you wouldn't be capable of thinking rationally.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:10 am

James wrote:My uncle committed suicide because his kid died, his wife left him and he lost his job. Suffocated in his car but changed his mind at last minute and tried to get out. Stupid fucker locked the door.

How do you know that's what happened?
    Zzonked wrote:Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, how can it not be a real illness?
    Life is chemical imbalances in the brain, everything you do, everything you feel.

Yes it is. Was the rest of your post concerning Alzheimer's? Like I said, that's a mental illness as well.

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Anyway, I'm not depressed now but I know if I ever was having a shit life like that, thinking people were alive who were actually dead, not being able to wipe my own arse properly or dress myself, having to rely on family or nurses to do it for me, I wouldn't want to be alive any more. It's not a symptom of any illness, it's a rational thought process.

How is that a rational thought process? If the Alzheimer's was that bad, you wouldn't be capable of thinking rationally.
    I am saying NOW that I would want to die if that fate were to befall me, NOW, thinking rationally. Of course Alzheimer's is a mental illness, but I'd make the same decision now with no illness, just as I would if I had the illness, that's the point.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:11 am

No off coarse not. A lot of people who do it are weak minded yes, but you need a shallow mind to think this applies to every suicide victim.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 am

hmm...I'd also say that your average suicide bomber is not "weak" for committing suicide. But they are weak for succumbing to the preachers who brainwash them.

ResurrectionRooney wrote:It really is disgusting that you call people who are depressed 'weak minded', for some people life is shit and they don't want to carry on with it, that's their right.

If you're depressed you're not weak minded, that's not what I said retard.

The difference is whether you wish to be weak, and kill yourself....or pick yourself up and get on with life. I speak from experience....I wouldn't say depression is an illness...it's more about your ability to control it, forget it, put it aside, deal with it etc, because we all have things to be depressed about.

People have the right to end their lives, I never said otherwise. That doesn't mean they're not weak....in fact there is no correlation between anyone's rights and the perception of whether someone's actions are weak or not.

You could also take into consideration the view that not killing yourself is weak. For most people, the thought of death is the most frightening thing ever. I'd rather endure an existence, as long it's not incredible and constant physical pain, or a severe mental illness....or something like a combination of blind, deaf, dumb, etc.

For some, presumably death is a preferable option to living their life. Like I said, leaving aside the reasons above...for me either you are weak, mentally ill, brainwashed or deluded. If you're ending your life because of bullying then you're weak, simple as that.

The sad thing is that you always say "Don't make this personal" yet you are very loose with your vocabulary. If you want people not to abuse you, then stop acting like a cunt.

Last edited by Lux on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:17 am

I'm weak minded, yes. If shit went seriously wrong, enough to warrant suicide then I'd probably do it.
    ricky//habana
    ricky//habana

Supports : DFA79

Post by ricky//habana Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:23 am

Actually, I think in cases it can be considered only for the strong-minded. How many people would willingly choose death with other options available, knowing that they could well cease to exist as a living being?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 am

James wrote:My uncle committed suicide because his kid died, his wife left him and he lost his job. Suffocated in his car but changed his mind at last minute and tried to get out. Stupid fucker locked the door.

Zzonked wrote:Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, how can it not be a real illness?
    Life is chemical imbalances in the brain, everything you do, everything you feel.

I am saying NOW that I would want to die if that fate were to befall me, NOW, thinking rationally. Of course Alzheimer's is a mental illness, but I'd make the same decision now with no illness, just as I would if I had the illness, that's the point.

It's impossible to say what you'd do unless you actually were put in that position. Unless you plan on topping yourself tomorrow just incase you get Alzheimer's in the future because it would be shitty, in which case yes, well done. Very rational of you.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:27 am

Lux wrote:hmm...I'd also say that your average suicide bomber is not "weak" for committing suicide. But they are weak for succumbing to the preachers who brainwash them.

ResurrectionRooney wrote:It really is disgusting that you call people who are depressed 'weak minded', for some people life is shit and they don't want to carry on with it, that's their right.

If you're depressed you're not weak minded, that's not what I said retard.

The difference is whether you wish to be weak, and kill yourself....or pick yourself up and get on with life. I speak from experience....I wouldn't say depression is an illness...it's more about your ability to control it, forget it, put it aside, deal with it etc, because we all have things to be depressed about.

People have the right to end their lives, I never said otherwise. That doesn't mean they're not weak....in fact there is no correlation between anyone's rights and the perception of whether someone's actions are weak or not.

The sad thing is that you always say "Don't make this personal" yet you are very loose with your vocabulary. If you want people not to abuse you, then stop acting like a cunt.

Whether you wish to be weak...utter nonsense, no-one wishes to be weak. You cannot judge people's minds in such terms at 'Weak' and 'Strong', it's an atrocious over-simplifcation, especially if you are an unqualified fucking moron. You are just attacking people who cannot defend themselves.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:35 am

Read edit.

Also, sure I can judge people's minds...and an unqualified fucking moron like yourself wouldn't know any better.

If you commit suicide for certain reasons, then there is obviously a reason for it. Unless you are biased, there is no reason to believe that everyone has their own reasons which are acceptable and understandable. Ending your life is not a natural thing to do in most circumstances, we are programmed to live.

Last edited by Lux on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:38 am

Doesn't that mean that all illnesses involve imbalances? So you're saying all illnesses are myths?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:47 am

It's impossible to say what you'd do unless you actually were put in that position. Unless you plan on topping yourself tomorrow just incase you get Alzheimer's in the future because it would be shitty, in which case yes, well done. Very rational of you.
    That would be an absurd thing to do, you are just trying to create a scenario where I can't say suicide is rational. I would rather talk about my options now, when I am sane, than when I am suffering form a mental illness.
    Lux wrote:Read edit.

Also, sure I can judge people's minds...and an unqualified fucking moron like yourself wouldn't know any better.

If you commit suicide for certain reasons, then there is obviously a reason for it. Unless you are biased, there is no reason to believe that everyone has their own reasons which are acceptable and understandable. Ending your life is not a natural thing to do in most circumstances, we are programmed to live.
    On the contrary, there's no reason to assume they are all, or even the majority of them, are weak minded, especially when you don't know them. You are just making judgements from ignorance.
    Zzonked wrote:

Doesn't that mean that all illnesses involve imbalances? So you're saying all illnesses are myths?
    No, it means that the existence of a chemical imbalance doesn't necessarily mean there is an illness.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:54 am

Not really no. Neutral
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:05 am

Definitly not Neutral

I think there was a thread like this and a member said they attempted it? Cry Not sure who it was, you can search for the thread and PM him or whatever.

Last edited by Gegilworld93 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:09 pm