Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Scouser_Dave
Cadbury
Lux
Laurencio
Fanatic
Dean
dena
Dink
Drake
13 posters

Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood

Poll

King Kenny for Knighthood?

[ 21 ]
    Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood Bar_left84%Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood Bar_right [84%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood Bar_left16%Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood Bar_right [16%] 

Total Votes: 25
    Drake
    Drake

Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood Empty Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood

Post by Drake Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:50 am

Relatives of Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster have called for Kenny Dalglish to be knighted.

Former Lord Mayor of Liverpool Steve Rotherham MP told fans at an Anfield memorial service that the families have asked him to table an Early Day Motion.

The motion would request the Queen to knight the Liverpool manager.

Dalglish was manager at the time of the disaster when 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death at an FA Cup semi-final on 15 April 1989.

Dalglish helped ensure the club was represented at all of the fans' funerals and attended many of them in person.

The former Scotland player became Liverpool boss for the second time in January and this year's memorial service was the first he had attended the memorial service as Liverpool boss since 1990.

Mr Rotherham said the motion was "so that on all our behalf the King of the Kop can become Sir Kenny".
    Anyone else agree i reckon he's a top guy and he deserves it.
    Anonymous

Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood Empty Re: Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 am

pretty much if not some other honour
    Anonymous

Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood Empty Re: Hillsborough families want Kenny Dalglish knighthood

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:12 am

Definately
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:13 am

Without a doubt. If anyone in football deserves one, it's Kenny.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 am

I think they are given out too easily, so if it was my opinion then no.

But look at some of the other people that already have them then you can't really say no.

If ya get me.
    Dink
    Dink

Post by Dink Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:17 am

Definitely.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:22 am

James ♠ wrote:I think they are given out too easily, so if it was my opinion then no.

But look at some of the other people that already have them then you can't really say no.

If ya get me.

You realise this wouldn't just be for football right?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:22 am

I wouldn't, always thought that something like 'knighthood' would be reserved for people who contribute something huge to society, but based upon who gets knighted I guess it's not like that, and if that's the case who am I to argue if he gets knighted or not.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:22 am

Yes.

King Kenny not worthy
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:49 am

dena wrote:I wouldn't, always thought that something like 'knighthood' would be reserved for people who contribute something huge to society, but based upon who gets knighted I guess it's not like that, and if that's the case who am I to argue if he gets knighted or not.

'The living embodiment of Liverpool FC, the guardian and keeper of its soul, the greatest Scottish player ever, his feats as a player and manager beyond reckoning, our living Shankly and Paisley, the representation of ceaseless selfless service to others, and the comforter of 96 bereft families, a man who walked away from his home when the emotional toll became too much. He has returned, and the recognition that was never accorded Shanks or Bob in the shape of this honour would be nice, especially because it would be a collective recognition of the work done by all the families. But the man transcends all of that in our hearts, and always will.

If he were ever to be tapped on the shoulder in Buckingham Palace, it would still be a title understating his truest honour. A knight is always ever an underling to a King'
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:50 am

I'd have no arguments with it. Neutral
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 am

dena wrote:I wouldn't, always thought that something like 'knighthood' would be reserved for people who contribute something huge to society, but based upon who gets knighted I guess it's not like that, and if that's the case who am I to argue if he gets knighted or not.
    That is the criteria
    •made a difference to their community or field of work?
    •brought distinction to British life and enhanced its reputation?
    •exemplified the best sustained and selfless voluntary service?
    •demonstrated innovation and entrepreneurship?
    •carried the respect of their peers?
    •changed things, with an emphasis on achievement?
    •improved the lot of those less able to help themselves?
    •displayed moral courage and vision in making and delivering tough choices?

You really don't know what he has done. He ticks every single one of them.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:53 am

The thing about Dalglish though is that he hasn't just been a football manager. He went well beyond the role of a manager after Hillsbrough and took it upon himself to help every last grieving person in Liverpool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/5141313/Hillsborough-remembered-Kenny-Dalglish-was-shining-light-in-Liverpools-darkest-hour.html
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:00 am

I dunno.

Is what he did in the aftermath of Hillsborough something that merits a Knighthood? I don't know the whole story, but going on the quote provided...is turning up at the funerals (amongst other related things) on behalf of the club enough? I'd imagine every manager and club would do what they could to help in those ways for sure. All of it is commendable as well as other stuff I'm sure he has done, and he does have a MBE after all. I do sometimes think that Knighthoods are given out too easily.

Also as a footballer/manager I dunno.....not every top British player is going to get a Knighthood, and not every manager either...perhaps Kenny is a bit more than that....I didn't know much about him at all until last season though.....I'd heard of him and knew he was a Scottish/Liverpool legend..but that was it. Normally when you think of Knights you'd think that it'd be people who are publically massive figures.....perhaps world wide.

I wouldn't argue against him being Knighted though......
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:11 am

Lux wrote:I dunno.

Is what he did in the aftermath of Hillsborough something that merits a Knighthood? I don't know the whole story, but going on the quote provided...is turning up at the funerals (amongst other related things) on behalf of the club enough? I'd imagine every manager and club would do what they could to help in those ways for sure. All of it is commendable as well as other stuff I'm sure he has done, and he does have a MBE after all. I do sometimes think that Knighthoods are given out too easily.

Also as a footballer/manager I dunno.....not every top British player is going to get a Knighthood, and not every manager either...perhaps Kenny is a bit more than that....I didn't know much about him at all until last season though.....I'd heard of him and knew he was a Scottish/Liverpool legend..but that was it. Normally when you think of Knights you'd think that it'd be people who are publically massive figures.....perhaps world wide.

Exactly, so why the fuck are arguing about it then?

The thing is you tried to find and argue as much as possible on why Kenny shouldn't get one, and then would cover your track by saying 'oh but I dunno the full story' Exactly, so shut about it then. To be honest, after your comments in the Hillsborough thread over on the old Real Football Forum last year, I think it would be for the best, if you would keep your mouth closed on every things concerning Hillsborough/Dalglish/Liverpool Football. Because like your always so quick to tell us 'I don't know much about it'.

Because the fact of the matter is Lux, you just don't get it. Rolling Eyes
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 am

Don't want to quote 3 people, so... I won't.

I know what Daglish did in the aftermath of Hillsborough, it's very commendable and honorable. But saying that, if I were at the head of the err... "who gets knighted" committee, to earn knighthood an individual would have to do more, I don't know how to best describe the criteria I would use, but consider those who win the Nobel Prize as a decent comparison. Someone like Jonas Salk, or Edward Jenner would be the only people who I would bestow an honor like that upon, you would literally have to change the world.

As for Fanatic's post, I'm sure there are many British citizens who unfortunately don't have the same celebrity of Daglish who check those boxes as well.

In saying that, for one -- I don't like the idea of knighthood and other royal procedures; and seeing as someone like SAF, who earned his just from contributions in football got knighted, I can't argue against Daglish. My arguments are more toward whatever criteria is used to give the honor out.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:20 am

To understand Dalglish's heroic response to the Hillsborough Disaster, to appreciate why he took it upon himself to carry a club and a city until eventually he broke under the strain, one has to recognise his passion for the family, for his wife Marina and their four children and also for his footballing family, Liverpool FC.

And they did. Along with his indefatigable wife and club dignitaries like Noel White and Peter Robinson, Dalglish helped the bereaved, comforting them and ensuring Liverpool were represented at every funeral.

When Hillsborough plunged a city into mourning, Liverpool's family craved a leader, a beacon. As manager of the team, as a father who endured a nightmare 20 minutes until his son Paul, who had been amongst the Liverpool fans, walked across the pitch towards him, Dalglish was the man who held together a grief-stricken community.

This is why we call him King. A selfless human who helped so many bereaved people.

Last edited by Fanatic on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:20 am

It's not what he did for the club, or those that died. It's what he did for the whole city. In a time when the whole country looked down on it.
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Dan wrote:It's not what he did for the club, or those that died. It's what he did for the whole city. In a time when the whole country looked down on it.

Spot on with that Dan.

If Ferguson got one then Kenny deserves one tenfold. If not for his quality's as a manager then surely his quality as a human being should be rewarded by now.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Personally I'd say no for the same reasons Dena and James have already stated.

But also like someone said, it's been given to a lot of people for a lot of different reasons, so whatever, if it'll make people happy then do it.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Dean wrote:Exactly, so why the fuck are arguing about it then?

The thing is you tried to find and argue as much as possible on why Kenny shouldn't get one, and then would cover your track by saying 'oh but I dunno the full story' Exactly, so shut about it then. To be honest, after your comments in the Hillsborough thread over on the old Real Football Forum last year, I think it would be for the best, if you would keep your mouth closed on every things concerning Hillsborough/Dalglish/Liverpool Football. Because like your always so quick to tell us 'I don't know much about it'.

I don't question his Knighthood because I'm some anti Liverpool conspirator...that's just my nature...to question things...I just don't know if what him doing what he did deserves a Knighthood. It's more of point of finding out from you guys why he would deserve it......but I should have known from your last outburst at me that you'd blast me whatever I said.

Other people took it the right way.

Dean wrote:after your comments in the Hillsborough thread over on the old Real Football Forum last year, I think it would be for the best, if you would keep your mouth closed on every things concerning Hillsborough/Dalglish/Liverpool Football. Because like your always so quick to tell us 'I don't know much about it'.

It wasn't last year, and no thanks. You're not the boss of me, you have no right telling me to avoid anything to do with Liverpool just because you don't like me.

I was interested to find out why Dalglish might deserve a Knighthood, if that's a problem with you then put me on ignore. If not, then learn some manners already....and I'm not talking about the old EA forums again.

----------------------------------

Fanatic wrote:This is why we call him King. A selfless human who helped so many bereaved people.

It's like Liverpool/Liverpool FC and it's history are one big family....I'm not entirely sure I can understand it being from London.....it's just not the same...if this were to have happened to a London club....even if it was my Watford....I'm not sure the response would be the same. I'd expect memorials and lots of support from alike figures to Dalglish (i.e. managers...generally people associated with the club)..I just doubt that every year people would take a day out every year to really think about those who died....and be so emotional about it.

I don't believe that selflessness and caring is generally enough, but Dalglish has shown more than that, and for a long time for people who might need it. I guess with that not being his job or something he has to do it's even more commendable.

I don't really know what someone has to do to get a Knighthood.....but if Fergie has one then why not?
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Yeah, he deserves one, pretty criminal if he never gets one IMO.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Yes this man deserve's to be Knighted for what he has done in British football on and off the park. But noing Kenny it will not bother him at all if he is knighted or not, and whatever he is Sir Kenny Dalglish or not he will always be our KING KENNY DALGLISH and we will hold him higher than any Honour that anyone else could give him.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Dean wrote:

Exactly, so why the fuck are arguing about it then?

What did he say about it last year?
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 am

Agree with James, they are given out too easily. But it's not like he doesn't deserve it
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:55 am

Put it this way. If Alex Ferguson has one, then it would be appalling for Kenny not to have one. Kenny fits the criteria WAY more than Ferguson does. Not only that, but Ferguson is disrespectful to Referees and has temper tantrums etc, how the fuck did he end up getting one?
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:57 am

Scott wrote:Put it this way. If Alex Ferguson has one, then it would be appalling for Kenny not to have one. Kenny fits the criteria WAY more than Ferguson does. Not only that, but Ferguson is disrespectful to Referees and has temper tantrums etc, how the fuck did he end up getting one?

He shouldn't have got one, that doesn't justify why Dalglish should get one anyway
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 am

Fonseca wrote:
    Scott wrote:Put it this way. If Alex Ferguson has one, then it would be appalling for Kenny not to have one. Kenny fits the criteria WAY more than Ferguson does. Not only that, but Ferguson is disrespectful to Referees and has temper tantrums etc, how the fuck did he end up getting one?

He shouldn't have got one, that doesn't justify why Dalglish should get one anyway

Why shouldn't Dalglish get one? Do you not know of the things he has done?
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:02 am

Scott wrote:
    Fonseca wrote:

Why shouldn't Dalglish get one? Do you not know of the things he has done?

Did I say he didn't deserve one?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:21 pm