Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Scuba Steve
Mustangt125
moscowmadeit3
Lux
Drake
Trig
luke.
dena
Sean
13 posters

asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans

Anonymous

asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 Empty Re: asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:42 am

dena wrote:I'm having a hard time grasping it as well, it's not like Americans taught Australians how to rhyme. asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 279869

a quick google images search of "thunder from downunder" will illustrate everything that is wrong with that slogan. i believe its a US ad campaign currently underway in Vegas!

it would be like England having the slogan - three lions, feel the roar. i'm pretty sure the Detroit Lions have a similar slogan. my nephews old high school were called the Lions, i think the bumper stickers all read "Lions pride"

the whole exercise of having these slogans is very american and should have no place in our sport. sadly its creeping into English sport - Hull City's "mauled by the tigers" song - awful!

heres a limk to the world cup bus slogans;

http://www.laligaweekly.com/2010/05/world-cup-2010-team-bus-slogans.html

not many good ones. article written by a sceptic too.

i pretty much cringe at anything jingoistic unless its steeped in tradition.

"we bring the thunder from down under", i just think something a little more understated would have been more Australian!
    Anonymous

asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 Empty Re: asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:50 am

downunder is common saying in australia

but thunder from downunder,that is just stupid
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 am

I believe that is the concise form of what the Bastard was trying to say.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:01 am

Scuba Steve wrote:I believe that is the concise form of what the Bastard was trying to say.

thank you.

at last, someone understands.
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:20 pm

'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    luke. wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:

that just gave me a shiver!

asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 963615scratch

alluding to the fact that in a group of slogans which translate badly into English and the Aussie's cheesy americanised rubbish, that india have adopted something so simple yet poetically beautiful and emotionally stirring.

How on earth is calling Australia "down under" Americanized?

Typical little brother British.

"bringing the thunder from down under" it smacks of cheesie americanisation. in the same way that every English Rugby League team has some cringeworthy nickname that was never deemed necassary before!

of course the term "down under" isnt americanised in itself. in fact "down under is a term started by the British Merchant Navy, to describe Australias location on maritime maps in relation to England!

of course, what with you being an american, i wouldnt expect you to grasp what i meant without a FULL explanation. sorry Scuba and Dena, im sure you'd have understood but its dumbasses like this mustang fella who give y'all a bad name!

Poor form, buddy. Just a jab at America again, albeit a weak one. I got what you meant, it just made you sound like a fuckin moron.

For the record I think it's cool that most teams in England don't have formal, often cheesy, nicknames.
    masutora
    masutora

Supports : Yes

Post by masutora Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:17 pm

Mascot bus wins. Or India, but like Mauro said, they will go home early.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:26 pm

masutora wrote:Mascot bus wins. Or India, but like Mauro said, they will go home early.

It is a good slogan actually. We should think of what our countries slogan would be think

England: If you don't win, dont come back.
    masutora
    masutora

Post by masutora Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Italy: If you suck but still got called up by Lippi, get the fuck off the bus.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:41 pm

masutora wrote:Italy: If you suck but still got called up by Lippi, get the fuck off the bus.

Laughing

Scotland: How did you qualify for a tournament? (Jokes)
    masutora
    masutora

Post by masutora Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:43 pm

Republic of Congo: We can afford a bus?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 pm

masutora wrote:Republic of Congo: We can afford a bus?

lol!
    Sean

Post by Sean Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Republic of Ireland:Who the fucks the designated driver?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:41 am

Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    luke. wrote:

asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 963615scratch

alluding to the fact that in a group of slogans which translate badly into English and the Aussie's cheesy americanised rubbish, that india have adopted something so simple yet poetically beautiful and emotionally stirring.

"bringing the thunder from down under" it smacks of cheesie americanisation. in the same way that every English Rugby League team has some cringeworthy nickname that was never deemed necassary before!

of course the term "down under" isnt americanised in itself. in fact "down under is a term started by the British Merchant Navy, to describe Australias location on maritime maps in relation to England!

of course, what with you being an american, i wouldnt expect you to grasp what i meant without a FULL explanation. sorry Scuba and Dena, im sure you'd have understood but its dumbasses like this mustang fella who give y'all a bad name!

Poor form, buddy. Just a jab at America again, albeit a weak one. I got what you meant, it just made you sound like a fuckin moron.

For the record I think it's cool that most teams in England don't have formal, often cheesy, nicknames.

if you understood, you wouldn't have questioned it.

i dont for a second think that americans dont appreciate how our teams have developed unofficial nicknames over many years. in fact college sports in the US are steeped in tradition as are a few NFL teams - the Bears and Browns spring to mind. i know that the Browns' "Dawg Pound" was started completely unofficially and the fans are now pissed that the NFL have copyrighted "Dawg Pound" and released official merchandise with an official logo. the old "Dawg Pound was a one tiered stand and the new one is two tiered, again the fans dont like it. i'm sure other sports teams have tradition too, there are a few Baseball andHockey teams that must be 100 years old, i just don't have any in depth knowledge of any US sports other than NFL.

maybe Americanisation was the wrong word. not because it was dealing with something Australian, because you can still Americanise something that isn't American (There are three Starbucks' and three McDonalds' in my home town!), but because some tradition does exist in America - i love how a unique new stadium has been shoehorned into the existing structure at soldier field! so in some corners of the United States there is opposition to this Americanisation.

Disneyfication is probably more apt for the point i was putting across! a good example would be the fucking pirate ship at Raymond James Stadium! they even used to have cartoon players on their big screens asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 58503 to accompany big plays - the 'fuckin' queers won the Superbowl the season i watched them play!

"we bring the thunder from down under" is Disneyfication of the very highest order. a shitty slogan such as this would not be tolerated by the Australian Rugby Union or Cricket Teams. why is it deemed appropriate in football? im embarrased for Socceroo's fans, who never asked for this cringy slogan to be attached to their team.

don't make me out to be some anti-american dimwit. just because you were stupid enough to think that you can not americanise something attached to an Australian sports team! you can Americanise anything, like the business district of Frankfurt for instance which is heavily influenced by US identikit cities.

would you not agree that the Aussie slogan has recieved the Disney treatment and is....... well....... a bit shit?
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:30 am

Sean CFC wrote:Republic of Ireland:Who the fucks the designated driver?
    rofl
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:46 am

'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:

i dont for a second think that americans dont appreciate how our teams have developed unofficial nicknames over many years. in fact college sports in the US are steeped in tradition as are a few NFL teams - the Bears and Browns spring to mind. i know that the Browns' "Dawg Pound" was started completely unofficially and the fans are now pissed that the NFL have copyrighted "Dawg Pound" and released official merchandise with an official logo. the old "Dawg Pound was a one tiered stand and the new one is two tiered, again the fans dont like it. i'm sure other sports teams have tradition too, there are a few Baseball andHockey teams that must be 100 years old, i just don't have any in depth knowledge of any US sports other than NFL.

maybe Americanisation was the wrong word. not because it was dealing with something Australian, because you can still Americanise something that isn't American (There are three Starbucks' and three McDonalds' in my home town!), but because some tradition does exist in America - i love how a unique new stadium has been shoehorned into the existing structure at soldier field! so in some corners of the United States there is opposition to this Americanisation.

Disneyfication is probably more apt for the point i was putting across! a good example would be the fucking pirate ship at Raymond James Stadium! they even used to have cartoon players on their big screens asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 58503 to accompany big plays - the 'fuckin' queers won the Superbowl the season i watched them play!

"we bring the thunder from down under" is Disneyfication of the very highest order. a shitty slogan such as this would not be tolerated by the Australian Rugby Union or Cricket Teams. why is it deemed appropriate in football? im embarrased for Socceroo's fans, who never asked for this cringy slogan to be attached to their team.

don't make me out to be some anti-american dimwit. just because you were stupid enough to think that you can not americanise something attached to an Australian sports team! you can Americanise anything, like the business district of Frankfurt for instance which is heavily influenced by US identikit cities.

would you not agree that the Aussie slogan has recieved the Disney treatment and is....... well....... a bit shit?

Yah, you using a word that did not apply to the situation makes me stupid asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 58503

You know before you started throwing americanisation around, there was a word for it. It's called marketing, and somebody from the Empire upon which the sun never sets should understand that.

The Aussie slogan is not the greatest, you are correct about that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:22 am

Sean CFC wrote:Republic of Ireland:Who the fucks the designated driver?
    Brilliant. Laughing
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:25 am

Wales: Where are the sheep?

I suck at this.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 am

masutora wrote:Republic of Congo: We can afford a bus?

rofl
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:

Yah, you using a word that did not apply to the situation makes me stupid asian cup team buses revealed along with team slogans - Page 2 58503

You know before you started throwing americanisation around, there was a word for it. It's called marketing, and somebody from the Empire upon which the sun never sets should understand that.

shut the fuck up you tool bag.

you're arguing for arguings sake and you're shit at it.

so fuck off you prick.

happy new year dick head.
    fergiesrednose
    fergiesrednose

Post by fergiesrednose Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:35 pm

And0TheGr8 wrote:south korea will win.....PARRRRRRRRRRK!!!!

korea comes along and the amount of stray cats plumits by 87%. coincidence? Coffee
    Sheppy
    Sheppy

Post by Sheppy Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:49 am

mauro wrote:downunder is common saying in australia

You couldn't be more wrong. We only say it when singing the song... The only times an Australian says is when they are trying to attract tourists.

If we are down under, why don't we call you "up over" ?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 am

AnfieldG8 wrote:
    mauro wrote:downunder is common saying in australia

You couldn't be more wrong. We only say it when singing the song... The only times an Australian says is when they are trying to attract tourists.

If we are down under, why don't we call you "up over" ?

down under is what the British called Australia & NZ, given its location on maritime maps in relation to the motherland.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 am

i come from the land downunder
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:45 am

'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    Mustangt125 wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:

shut the fuck up you tool bag.

you're arguing for arguings sake and you're shit at it.

so fuck off you prick.

happy new year dick head.

suck it you little brother fag

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:01 pm