Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Trent
wellz
Carlos Jenkinson
Laurencio
Jordi
AndItsKoren!
crump
11 posters

A disgrace to the shirt/club

AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

A disgrace to the shirt/club Empty A disgrace to the shirt/club

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:38 am

Saw this comment aimed at Gervinho which seems harsh. But under what circumstance would you use the comment in the title? Gervinho tries even if he is shit, does that make him a disgrace to the club?

I've always associated it with players that don't put any effort in and constantly be unprofessional, people like Bullard.
    crump
    crump

A disgrace to the shirt/club Empty Re: A disgrace to the shirt/club

Post by crump Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 am

A player can only try their best, they shouldn't be taunted for being shit, they should be encourages, taunting them won't make them better.

Players who make no effort are not worthy.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 am

Why do people constantly get on the back of Gervinho in that case? Yeah he's poor but people really seem to get on him at every opportunity. Same with players like Fletcher and Henderson.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 am

Guly gets lots of that as well. Never really figured out why.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:46 am

Gervinho has the talent to be a lot better than he is really. I mean he was great in France, and shows glimpses of being a very talented player for Arsenal at times, however more often than not he just doesn't look like he bothers and makes utterly idiotic decisions.

That being said, being a "disgrace" might be pushing it.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:48 am

Really? When I've seen Gervinho he seems to put the effort in and at least tries to do his job. It'd be worse if he never ran at anyone.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:57 am

AndItsKoren! wrote:Really? When I've seen Gervinho he seems to put the effort in and at least tries to do his job. It'd be worse if he never ran at anyone.

It would be worse obviously, and probably result in him not being picked, but you can surely see why Gervinho, a player with some talent who shows glimpses of ability once in a while only to fairly miserably ruin Arsenal attacks, forget to let go of the ball or run with the ball into a defender or over the line, would frustrate supporters?
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:58 am

Laurencio wrote:Gervinho has the talent to be a lot better than he is really. I mean he was great in France, and shows glimpses of being a very talented player for Arsenal at times, however more often than not he just doesn't look like he bothers and makes utterly idiotic decisions.

That being said, being a "disgrace" might be pushing it.

I don't think I've seen any talent from him at all, infact I know his shit *Pull the ball to the byline and hit it into the box with no one in it* techniques too. We got absolutely robbed for 10m, and that's nothing to top 4 clubs in this market

wellz
    wellz

Supports : The Troops

Post by wellz Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:59 am

Rafa Marquez in NY was a disgrace to the entire mls.
    Trent
    Trent

Supports : Scunthorpe United & St Helens

Post by Trent Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 am

Nicky Ajose was a disgrace to our shirt, he never seemed to try and didn't care as long as he was getting paid.
    Alaba v2
    Alaba v2

Supports : God

Post by Alaba v2 Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:35 am

Edson 'Lizarazu' Braafheid for Bayern.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:54 am

Nani is a perfect example.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 am

20Legend wrote:Nani is a perfect example.
    Oh dear.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:51 pm

I wasn't asking which players...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 pm

This isn't some Sunday league football. These players get played millions to win trophies and entertain the fans. The fans are indirectly paying their wages. If you try your hardest and are not good enough, you shouldn't be playing.

Now, there is a difference between making personal abuse and getting on their backs for playing poorly.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm

If you had a job and they paid you a lot more than you would earn at any other job, would you give it up if you're bad at it?

No one would voluntarily give it up.

Getting on the backs of your own players isn't helpful at all, they only time I can justify doing it is if they've been REALLY unprofessional. Being in poor form doesn't mean you're unprofessional, not being as good as someone else doesn't mean you're unprofessional.

Infact, bullying a player because he isn't good at football is like bullying a guy in a wheelchair because he can't walk.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:14 pm

"When Manchester City come up against a problem, They through money at it."

bernie

Also the worst quote I've seen in my life.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Who is that even quoting?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 pm

AndItsKoren! wrote:If you had a job and they paid you a lot more than you would earn at any other job, would you give it up if you're bad at it?

Getting on the backs of your own players isn't helpful at all, they only time I can justify doing it is if they've been REALLY unprofessional. Being in poor form doesn't mean you're unprofessional, not being as good as someone else doesn't mean you're unprofessional.

Infact, bullying a player because he isn't good at football is like bullying a guy in a wheelchair because he can't walk.

Nobody is telling Gervinho to give up. But if you get hired by a top company and you can't perform at a high level, you should be fired or at least put on the bench more often in football.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:52 pm

ahlycotc wrote:
    AndItsKoren! wrote:If you had a job and they paid you a lot more than you would earn at any other job, would you give it up if you're bad at it?

Nobody is telling Gervinho to give up. But if you get hired by a top company and you can't perform at a high level, you should be fired or at least put on the bench more often in football.

That isn't the players fault? If he says no to the manager then he'll be fined and look like the bad person. People should be complaining at the manager, not the player.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:31 pm

AndItsKoren! wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

That isn't the players fault? If he says no to the manager then he'll be fined and look like the bad person. People should be complaining at the manager, not the player.

What do you mean this isn't the player's fault? The manager expected something more from the player and he didn't deliver (doesn't matter if it's because he isn't trying or because he isn't talented enough). So the manager should either let him go or don't play him often.

Like I said, this is a professional club that pays players millions every year to perform and entertain. This isn't a charity. The fans have every right to be angry or upset at a player who isn't performing at an acceptable level. If you go order coffee and it turns out horrible, do you tell the guy behind the counter, oh you tried your best and it's not your fault?
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:38 pm

facepalm
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 pm

ahlycotc wrote:
    AndItsKoren! wrote:

What do you mean this isn't the player's fault? The manager expected something more from the player and he didn't deliver (doesn't matter if it's because he isn't trying or because he isn't talented enough). So the manager should either let him go or don't play him often.

Like I said, this is a professional club that pays players millions every year to perform and entertain. This isn't a charity. The fans have every right to be angry or upset at a player who isn't performing at an acceptable level. If you go order coffee and it turns out horrible, do you tell the guy behind the counter, oh you tried your best and it's not your fault?

This is completely different. Making a good coffee is an easy task that doesn't take long to learn, he is also employed by the owners of this business. Even if I we do compare them, it's the fault of the business for employing the guy, not the fault of the employer because he can't do something.

Gervinho was chosen out of probably 100+ players that Arsenal looked at. Wenger/whoever makes the transfers is the one to blame. You can't ask someone to give more than 100%, and if it was so easy being a footballer/learning to be a footballer then we'd all be taking that up.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm

The fans aren't asking Gervinho to give more than 100%. They are simply saying your performance (whether it's at 100% or 1%) isn't acceptable enough.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:38 pm

So you think if someone tries their best but ultimately isn't good at their job, they should be insulted by thousands of people around the world?

If I was Gervinho I would actually carry on playing poorly and milk the club for the rest of his (what i'm assuming) lucrative contract.

I would never, ever, ever work or try to entertain people that refused to appreciate my efforts.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Go read my first post again, specifically the second paragraph.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Personal abuse tends to be getting on their backs, I don't think there is a difference.

Infact, I'd argue things like booing from his own fans are even worse than personal insults in this game.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Booing is a way to show displeasure towards a performance. The manager/club should then realize the fans are unhappy with his performance. It's really the best way to get your feelings heard to the manager. Booing the manager won't send the correct message to the manager/club about what they really are unhappy about.
    AndItsKoren!
    AndItsKoren!

Post by AndItsKoren! Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm guessing your opinion is that the players are to blame and not the manager when things are good/bad?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:12 pm

It depends on the situation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:35 pm