Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
wellz
Bushido
Cam
Mal
GaryP
9 posters

University - Football magazine project help

GaryP
    GaryP

University  - Football magazine project help Empty University - Football magazine project help

Post by GaryP Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:30 am

Hi all,

I am a journalism student in the process of compiling research towards a uni project.

The main crux of the project is a new football magazine that will cater for a more mature/educated market. The shelves are packed full of kids football magazines (Match of the Day, Match etc), and the more upmarket titles such as FourFourTwo and When Saturday Comes.

Audience is a key part of my work and I want to discover how the more mature/educated fan gets their football fix. Of course, we have great resources such as social media, forums and general football websites. But, would you want to buy such a magazine if it existed? What would you want in it? What style/tone would you expect from it?

I'm putting this out there as a sort of early motion to gather some views from real football fans, and any comments/opinions are welcome!

If you completely disagree with the idea, then please put that too. I just want to get a general feel from the football public.

Thanks!
    Gary Peters
    Mal
    Mal

University  - Football magazine project help Empty Re: University - Football magazine project help

Post by Mal Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 am

I think people would buy a magazine like you've described. This forum is dead now though so don't expect too many replies to this thread. shifty
    Anonymous

University  - Football magazine project help Empty Re: University - Football magazine project help

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:36 am

GaryP wrote:Hi all,

I am a journalism student in the process of compiling research towards a uni project.

The main crux of the project is a new football magazine that will cater for a more mature/educated market. The shelves are packed full of kids football magazines (Match of the Day, Match etc), and the more upmarket titles such as FourFourTwo and When Saturday Comes.

Audience is a key part of my work and I want to discover how the more mature/educated fan gets their football fix. Of course, we have great resources such as social media, forums and general football websites. But, would you want to buy such a magazine if it existed? What would you want in it? What style/tone would you expect from it?

I'm putting this out there as a sort of early motion to gather some views from real football fans, and any comments/opinions are welcome!

If you completely disagree with the idea, then please put that too. I just want to get a general feel from the football public.

Thanks!
    Gary Peters

University  - Football magazine project help 8529c8edc6a2621e22784731d1218a81cea14f87_m
    Cam
    Cam

Supports : Liverpool Football Club

Post by Cam Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 am

I'd buy a magazine like that, if it existed.
    Bushido
    Bushido

Post by Bushido Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:51 am

I genuinely think the time of Magazines is over. Why would I buy one when all the information in them are accessible for free on the internet?
    Cam
    Cam

Supports : Liverpool Football Club

Post by Cam Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 am

Nah, I like to buy a magazine when I go on a plane or a train journey.
    Bushido
    Bushido

Post by Bushido Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 am

Cam wrote:Nah, I like to buy a magazine when I go on a plane or a train journey.

I'd usually take a book.
    wellz
    wellz

Supports : The Troops

Post by wellz Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:00 am

Not a good place to come for opinions unless you are looking for about 5. Unfortunately the Internet has really hurt the football magazine bizz, I probably wouldn't buy it
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:06 am

Sounds like an interesting idea but I am not sure how you market a football magazine to a more mature audience. All of the magazines out there seem rather similar to me.
    Forest
    Forest

Post by Forest Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 am

I'd imagine it having articles similar to stuff off the Guardian. That's my favourite website to read decent football stuff.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 am

GaryP wrote:I want to discover how the more mature/educated fan gets their football fix.
    you are in the wrong place whistle

but anyways, i usually am stuck in between buying match or FourFourTwo when i do go to buy a mag (once a year) so i would buy your said magazine if it were to be produced.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:30 am

Magazines? tl;dr
    Trent
    Trent

Supports : Scunthorpe United & St Helens

Post by Trent Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 am

Would like to see more Lower leagues in a football magazine.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:41 am

Ok, here's my idea

FootyLAD

It's a magazine aimed at late teens early twenties. People like Forest and Crump are it's target audience

It's football mixed in with tits. A bit how like Nuts zoo etc were but more football orientated with the whole LAD feel.

u get me?
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:40 am

So this is a football mazagine with something similar to Page 3 in it? I like this idea as I have not seen an idea like this before. With a fornat like this perhaps having a page or two on women's footie news might be a good idea as long as this magazine is in the 50-75 page range.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:34 am

Your description sounds exactly like The Blizzard, and that has garnered a huge following.

If I were going to buy a football magazine of that nature, the primary thing I would look for is original content. "Original" in this sense being something I couldn't open five websites to read the same info in different words, but also articles of substance that bring something new to the field.

So, yeah, basically like The Blizzard.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 am

Yeah you're about a year late, The Blizzard right now has captured that "mature fan" audience. They have some of the top writers in the world behind it too.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:21 pm

If you could make a magazine an interesting read with coverage of lower leagues you might have something special. You need something to stand out from all of the other magazines out there and I think that is the best way to go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:30 pm