Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Phadunkin Donuts
Trent
6 posters

Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to Heysel

Anonymous

Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to Heysel Empty Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to Heysel

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 am

Alessandro Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to the Heysel tragedy, says former agent

Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero rejected a move to Liverpool out of respect for the Heysel tragedy, according to his former agent.

The Italian has signed a two-year contract at Sydney FC and confirmed he also snubbed a potential move to Anfield, where Brendan Rodgers is looking for free-agent strikers.

And Del Piero's ex-representative, Claudio Pasqualin, thinks the forward said no to Liverpool as a consequence of the events at the 1985 European Cup final.

Ahead of the game at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, a disruption between Liverpool and Juventusfans caused a wall to collapse and led to the death of 39 Juventus supporters.

"Australians could find nobody better than Del Piero to let them make that step up in quality"
    Claudio Pasqualin
    Quotes of the week
    "I think as a real Juventino, out of respect and remembrance for the massacre at Heysel, he said no to Liverpool," Pasqualin told TMW.

Quality

Pasqualin believes Del Piero's move to Australia is an excellent decision and thinks the 37-year-old will one day return to Italy and could become chief of the country's football federation.

"I think Sydney is a fantastic opportunity for him.

"Alessandro will return in his way to being a protagonist after the crucial contribution he gave to Juventus over all these years.

"He can promote Australian football throughout the world and I'm certain he'll be very happy there.

"In fact, Australians could find nobody better than Del Piero to let them make that step up in quality.

"When he returns to Italy, he'll be able to do whatever he wants. I'd see him making a good director but he could also be a great president of the FIGC (Italian Football Federation) one day or a coach at the Juventus Academy."
    Trent
    Trent

Supports : Scunthorpe United & St Helens

Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to Heysel Empty Re: Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to Heysel

Post by Trent Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:29 am

I thought it was because they were shit.
    Anonymous

Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to Heysel Empty Re: Del Piero rejected Liverpool due to Heysel

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:32 am

nah he just picked the better team
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:43 am

Liver-who?
    Dan
    Dan

Post by Dan Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:50 am

Whatevs.
    Cam
    Cam

Supports : Liverpool Football Club

Post by Cam Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:41 am

Okay then. Laughing
    Trent
    Trent

Supports : Scunthorpe United & St Helens

Post by Trent Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:14 am

I can tell how much of a fuck Cam gives.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:47 am

What an honourable man.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:09 am

I mean, it's believable and all, del Piero was probably a young boy when Heysel happened and can remember some of it (or at least be told about what happened) but for his former agent to claim it makes no sense to me, unless they are best buds or something.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:23 pm

When things like this happen while you are a kid you tend to remember them more for some strange reason.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:23 pm