Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+55
Marvin
dena
SophisticatedBeggar
Stranger
Novi
Bye_Ya
Jeff
Ham.
Royal
Theo Filippo
PrideOfTheMidlands
Start.
Mvan
limerickcitykid
Yrael
Jordan Henderchip
The Maestro
Harrold
CollieBuddz
blackskar
crump
Dean
Ra's al Ghul
MickStupp
Forest
menalawyerguy
Clark
Paulinho
ConorCelticFC
arsenalap11
Mouse
ShakerMatty
Jorlung
Andy
Trent
sunmoon
George
JK
ResurrectionRooney
Kuled
Danny
Juventino
Sean
VivaRonaldoLAD
Jord
Mal
Cam
TheRangersFan
SBSP
Keanoo
Pippo
El_indian
Childish Logic
Zzonked
MrBlueguy
59 posters

Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion

Novi
    Novi

Supports : Arsenal

Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion - Page 32 Empty Re: Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion

Post by Novi Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 am

Skyfall 7/10
    Forest
    Forest

Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion - Page 32 Empty Re: Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion

Post by Forest Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 am

Easy A - 10/10

Emma Stone.
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 am

I've not seen Lincoln but I though Django did the racism issue well. I genuinely found it very uncomfortable to watch.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:38 pm

How popular is Netflix?

Do they stream at 1080p?

We don't really have anything like it in NZ.
    Stranger
    Stranger

Supports : Barcelona, PSG, Bayern

Post by Stranger Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 am

Mouse wrote:I've not seen Lincoln but I though Django did the racism issue well. I genuinely found it very uncomfortable to watch.

The overuse of the word nigga was cringeworthy.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 am

Hard to say it was overused given the time and situation.
    Stranger
    Stranger

Supports : Barcelona, PSG, Bayern

Post by Stranger Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 am

Well maybe not if you go by that.
    Clark
    Clark

Supports : Atheism

Post by Clark Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:19 am

So it wasn't overused. If he didn't use it that much, it would be unrepresentative of the time.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:06 am

I don't know how you can argue that that word wasn't overused gratuitously. It's true that that word was used frequently during that time period, but it seems that he was deliberately including it every other sentence. It didn't bother me too much, but it's just another example of Tarantino being so over the top to the extent that his movies come off as immature.
    Yrael
    Yrael

Post by Yrael Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 am

Seven Psychopaths.

Quite enjoyable, a bit weirdly 'cartoony' at some points but I suppose that was the the feel the film was aiming for.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:I don't know how you can argue that that word wasn't overused gratuitously. It's true that that word was used frequently during that time period, but it seems that he was deliberately including it every other sentence. It didn't bother me too much, but it's just another example of Tarantino being so over the top to the extent that his movies come off as immature.

You're talking about the deep south, pre-civil War, where a freed slave is going about killing white plantation owners and overseers, how would you expect whites to react to him? I think your issue is with Tarantino as a whole and how the movie is not historically accurate (obviously) when the word ice cream is used in a production like Roots no one cares.
    George
    George

Supports : Liverpool, Woking

Post by George Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 am

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - 5/10.

WHY? STEVEN! WHY?
    Forest
    Forest

Post by Forest Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:06 am

dena wrote:
    Ra's al Ghul wrote:I don't know how you can argue that that word wasn't overused gratuitously. It's true that that word was used frequently during that time period, but it seems that he was deliberately including it every other sentence. It didn't bother me too much, but it's just another example of Tarantino being so over the top to the extent that his movies come off as immature.

You're talking about the deep south, pre-civil War, where a freed slave is going about killing white plantation owners and overseers, how would you expect whites to react to him? I think your issue is with Tarantino as a whole and how the movie is not historically accurate (obviously) when the word ice cream is used in a production like Roots no one cares.

Roots not worthy

Toby be good nigga
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 am

dena wrote:

I already said it didn't bother me too much but there are plenty of instances when the word is used unnecessarily. And I've also said that I have a problem with his movies but it's not because of historical inaccuracy. It's because he's too self-indulgent and is always fixated on making a certain type of movie regardless of how delicate the content is.
    Clark
    Clark

Post by Clark Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 am

So you'd rather never make a movie on slavery?
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 am

Clark wrote:So you'd rather never make a movie on slavery?

What? When did I say that?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    dena wrote:

I already said it didn't bother me too much but there are plenty of instances when the word is used unnecessarily. And I've also said that I have a problem with his movies but it's not because of historical inaccuracy. It's because he's too self-indulgent and is always fixated on making a certain type of movie regardless of how delicate the content is.

When is it used unnecessarily? I'd love some examples, the word count may be high but given the (outrageous) plot, and the era, things fall in line. With regards to the historical accuracy part it was more to say that it seems you have a problem more with his style than anything else (backed up by your last sentence) and thus the use got to you more.

Yes, the content is delicate, but QT also made a movie about a bunch of Jews who go around and kill Hitler and Nazi's, and slang terms are used there, but no one had an issue it.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 am

Off the top of my head I remember Dr. King Schultz telling Big Daddy that he'd like to purchase one of his "nigga gals". I found that particularly strange considering that his character is one we're shown is not racist and despises the very concept. I'm sure there are other instances but I can't remember them at the moment.

I also have some of the same problems with Inglourious Basterds and know of some respected movie reviewers who feel the same way about both those movies.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 am

You're failing that Schultz and Foxx went deep "undercover" to try to fit in as owners of slaves.

EDIT: I'm not gonna challenge how you feel about both movies, they are racy topics, but I don't agree with your assessment is all
    Bye_Ya
    Bye_Ya

Post by Bye_Ya Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 am

Finished "Ip Man" 8/10... loved every part of the movie, just way too short.

Started watching Jet Li's "Fearless" last night. Fell asleep, but also good. Will finish soon. Popcorn
    Start.
    Start.

Supports : Chelsea FC.

Post by Start. Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Platoon - 8.5 / Was really good, thought Charlie Sheen was great. First time I've seen him in a movie.

Wreck it Ralph - 8.5 / Also thought this was good, not quite up there with Lion King and such. But it gives off that Monsters Inc feel.

The Prestige - 9-10/10 / Thought this was brilliant. Loved it.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:31 pm

I agree with Ra's.
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Lesbian Vampire Killers - 1/10.

Quite possibly the worse movie I have ever seen. One or two bits made me smile a bit, almost a laughter but not quite, hence the 1.
    Bye_Ya
    Bye_Ya

Post by Bye_Ya Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 am

Jet Li's "Fearless" (8/10) - Really good kung fu movie but could've been a little better and longer.

Ip Man 2 (7/10) - Exact same characters from the 1st movie, but didn't really like the story as much. Also too short.
    Bye_Ya
    Bye_Ya

Post by Bye_Ya Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Shaolin 7.5/10 decent Kung Fu scenes but it also has a real storyline. Not bad, also 2 hrs long.
    Clark
    Clark

Post by Clark Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:05 am

Schindler's List is on not worthy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:33 am

Anybody seen Gangster Squad?
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 am

Not yet, it's had some pretty shitty reviews though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:58 am

Yeah, that's why I was asking. Had high hopes pre-release, usually enjoy those sort of movies.
    Clark
    Clark

Post by Clark Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:07 am

Moonrise Kimgdom. 5/5. Wes Anderson is a genius, small world, big problems.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:59 pm