Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Danny
Laurencio
Jordi
Drake
Grenade
Theo Filippo
George
menalawyerguy
ricky//habana
Kuled
El_indian
dena
Sigurdsson
ResurrectionRooney
18 posters

Steven Gerrard is a failure as Captain

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Steven Gerrard is a failure as Captain - Page 2 Empty Re: Steven Gerrard is a failure as Captain

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 pm

ahlycotc wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:2007: Failed to qualify for Euro 2008
    2010: Failed to win the best English group since the Beatles, humiliated in Last 16.
    2012: Dominated in midfield in every single game, eliminated in Quarter Finals after abject performance

Not to mention his constant failures to achieve the League title with Liverpool. About time he retired from international football and made way for players who actually have some technical ability and can pass to their team mates on a regular basis.

There are two major errors I find in your reasoning.

First, is the expectation of a captain (or any individual for that matter) to lead an entire team like that. No matter how good a player is, he can't carry an average or slightly above average team to glory. Take a look at Messi with Argentina. Now, that Argentina is actually playing better as a team and Messi in his prime, he can somewhat make a difference. Gerrard is far from being Messi, so to expect him to win a major title with both England and Liverpool is absurd. In fact, when is the last time a captain of England or Liverpool lead the teams to major titles?

Second, I recall you stating in a previous thread that you personally didn't see the importance of naming a captain. So blaming the failures of England on the "captaincy" is hypocritical at least. Who would you have captain instead that could lead the team? Joe Hart you say? His greatest influence (if any) will be on the defense of England. He can't exactly lead the whole team. Rooney? The hot headed player who spent half the tournament suspended?

Besides all this, Gerrard is one of the few players who actually caught my attention in this tournament. He was vital in England's goals and he was the only decent midfielder out of a team that was severely lacking one. Gerrard actually has some technical ability. So who are these other "technical" English players that he should make way for? And that shouldn't be Gerrard's decision, it should be the manager's.

Gerrard is a player who can "win games on his own". This is why he is credited with Liverpool 2005 and 2006 trophy successes, and I assume it's the reason no-one ever minds the fact that he fuck off out of position in every single match to try and do it. If he's not able to do this, then he shouldn't have the captaincy, as it simply encourages him to try and be Roy of the Rovers rather than be a member of the team.

You're right, I don't see the importance of the captaincy, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I'm always right - nothing and nobody is infallible. It's possible that the captaincy has a big influence on results and I'm blind to it, unlikely, but possible nevertheless. Given that there is a chance the captaincy has an influence, and England have constantly failed with Gerrard holding it, I see no reason to continue with him.

Rooney is not hot headed, he has received only two cards in the last 12 months, one of them after the media had been victimising his family again. At least if we give it to Hart he's not going to try and win the game by himself by moving out of position.

He was important for a couple of goals, granted, but in the fundamentals of midfield play he was atrocious. Ideally he would have been played out on the wing instead of Milner with a real central midfielder in central midfield. The technical England players he should have made way for are Carrick and Scholes, now he needs to retire from the national team to make way for Carrick and Wilshere.

ricky//habana wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:If the captaincy definitely makes a difference, then Gerrard is an abject failure. If the captaincy definitely doesn't make a difference, then it doesn't matter if Gerrard is captain. In either case, there is no point in retaining this bastard.

As long as Gerrard is picked, he should be captain. Most of the players came out and praised his ability to let his football do the talking, rather than being a loud influence like Terry apparently is, they wouldn't do that if he was a liability.

The crux of the matter is that not only were England a man light in midfield half the time, Gerrard spent the majority of the time looking for the driving forward pass/cross as few options were available due to limited movement of the players, unlike the large numbers of short passes other nations' midfield key-men played. Despite this, those passes were largely successful.

He was also the only midfield player selected in the 23 that could pick, and play, an effective pass. The only other goals that England scored in the tournament not down to Gerrard were pretty much flukes, though in the case of Welbeck I prefer to see it as wonderful improvisation.

But i'm getting away from the point here. Whether an indictment on his mental state or not, Gerrard plays better as captain.
    Seeing as Hart is good enough anyway, Terry is divisive (and puts his body on the line regardless), Cole seems to be reliable (apart from Euro 2012), and Rooney both doesn't need the pressure and hasn't done much of note on the highest international stage since his breakout tournament, it makes sense to install Gerrard as captain as long as he is selected for the starting XI.

Gerrard does not play better as captain, I wholeheartedly disagree with that. He forces himself into the game more, but this is not a good thing when you have only two central midfielders, in that case you need discipline, not one player trying to win the game by himself. So long as England rely on players like Gerrard who think they can win tournaments by themselves they will only ever win anything by a fluke.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Steven Gerrard is a failure as Captain - Page 2 Empty Re: Steven Gerrard is a failure as Captain

Post by El_indian Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 pm

I agree with Gerrard on the wing. His crosses are some of the best in the game.

Played a few of those beautiful deep crosses for Liverpool this season and the majority of his assists were from a wider position from what I can remember.

Been saying we should play him on the right instead of Kuyt/Henderson/Downing...he can be quite productive.

Also defence and positioning is less of an issue.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Many managers have tries to play him on the right, but he always arrogantly refuses, and it would be an absolute PR disaster if Rodgers dares to drop Captain Fantastic YNWA.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 am

Opta Sports
    ‏@OptaJoe

18 - Steven Gerrard has made more tackles than any other player at Euro 2012. Battling.
    Dat Lionheart.
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:2007: Failed to qualify for Euro 2008
    2010: Failed to win the best English group since the Beatles, humiliated in Last 16.
    2012: Dominated in midfield in every single game, eliminated in Quarter Finals after abject performance

Not to mention his constant failures to achieve the League title with Liverpool. About time he retired from international football and made way for players who actually have some technical ability and can pass to their team mates on a regular basis.
    You can't blame Gerrard for all those failures Laughing
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 am

Theo Filippo wrote:What a shame Barry and Lampard both got injured.
    I've been saying this for ages. Mad
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 am

Jordi wrote:
    Theo Filippo wrote:What a shame Barry and Lampard both got injured.
    I've been saying this for ages. Mad

I think everyone has, Lamps, Wilshere, Barry, Carrick ,Scholes and even Rodwell would have made a difference. Plus someone decent out on the right would have been nice shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 am

RR, you failed to answer one of my questions. When is the last time a captain has led England or Liverpool to a major title?
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 am

ahlycotc wrote:RR, you failed to answer one of my questions. When is the last time a captain has led England or Liverpool to a major title?

Isn't that a bit obvious?

England: Bobby Moore- 1966.
    Liverpool: Steven Gerrard - 2006.

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 am

ahlycotc wrote:RR, you failed to answer one of my questions. When is the last time a captain has led England or Liverpool to a major title?
    I'm not going to do your homework for you. If you want to make a point, you find the evidence to back it up.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:31 am

It's not about winning things it's about going out being outplayed pathetically unlike World cup 02, Euro 04, World cup 06.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:31 am

Laurencio wrote:

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    I'm not going to do your homework for you. If you want to make a point, you find the evidence to back it up.

I know the answer, I just want you to answer it so you can see where you are going with this.

Last time Liverpool won a major title, was under Gerrard. Nobody has won a title with England except that controversial world cup. Captains don't have that much influence over the entire team.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 am

World Cup 02, with Liverpool's greatest ever player nearly putting us rough against an incredible Brazilian side. not worthy
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:34 am

It's not as if the sole reason that we've had 2 pretty poor tournaments is because Gerrard was captain. Laughing

In 2010 Capello suddenly didn't have a clue what he was doing (obviously not blaming him alone) and this time Roy (through some fault of his own) ended up with/picked players incapable of keeping hold of the ball for any extended period of time.

Oh, and the 2006 World Cup was hardly a success, but that's alright because the captain didn't play for Liverpool.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 am

Gerrard is more of a failure as a player than a captain, I think. His leadership qualities are irrelevant when he fails to keep the ball.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

ResurrectionRooney wrote:

I know the answer, I just want you to answer it so you can see where you are going with this.

Last time Liverpool won a major title, was under Gerrard. Nobody has won a title with England except that controversial world cup. Captains don't have that much influence over the entire team.

He's been captain of Liverpool for 8 years, isn't it obvious that their last trophy would be under him? They normally play in at least 4 competitions every season, if you throw enough shit at a wall some of it's bound to stick. They won more trophies under their previous captain and he only had a 2 year spell.

Regarding the England captaincy, who knows what would have happened at Euro 2008 if Gerrard hadn't been so abject in 2007. In 2010 England failed badly because there was no shape to the team with Gerrard trying to win the games on his own, it happens time and again. There has been a marked decline in England's fortunes since Gerrard took the captaincy, that can't be denied

2002 (Beckham): Reached quarter Finals, lost to eventual World Champions
    2004 (Beckham): Quarter Finals, very unlucky to lose after even game and dodgy refereeing
    2006 (Beckham): Quarter Finals again, lost on penalties after being reduced to 10 men

Beckham voluntarily relinquishes captaincy.

2007 (Terry/Gerrard): England looked set to qualify with Terry as captain, after Gerrard took it, England suffered successive abject defeats and were eliminated. Gerrard subsequently stripped of vice captaincy in favour of Ferdinand.
    2010 (Gerrard): Takes on captaincy after Rio's injury. Embarrassingly poor in the group stages, scraping past Slovenia. Hammered against Germany. Stripped of captaincy and it's given back to Terry.
    2012 (Gerrard): Again manages to nick the captaincy, England lose midfield in all 4 games and are completely outclassed by Italy.

So why should he stay as Captain?
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 am

It was hardly stripping Gerrard of the captaincy and giving it straight back to Terry..

It was taken off Rio.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 am

The whole squad was a shambles. Some really stupid inclusions and no luck with the injuries either. This was really one of England's poorest squads in recent times.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 am

SBSP wrote:The whole squad was a shambles. Some really stupid inclusions and no luck with the injuries either. This was really one of England's poorest squads in recent times.
    But that doesn't matter because a scouser was captain, so forget everything and blame it all on him. cheers
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:50 am

Danny wrote:
    SBSP wrote:The whole squad was a shambles. Some really stupid inclusions and no luck with the injuries either. This was really one of England's poorest squads in recent times.
    But that doesn't matter because a scouser was captain, so forget everything and blame it all on him. cheers

I am named after a scouser on this forum.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 am

You were hardly beaten in the midfield against Ukraine.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 am

Did you watch the game?
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:57 am

Ukraine had 57% possession we got dominated, we were lucky not to draw/lose that game
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 am

Thank you Sepp Blatter.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 am

Maybe because the squad under Beckham was better than the one under Gerrard. English football has been on the decline for years and it's not the fault of Gerrard.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:37 am

RR is such a nobhead, he always blames one guy for failures cause it makes him feel better, fergie is the only reason we lost to barca in the CL finals, Gerrard is the only reason england went out and are not successful

its sad
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:39 am

SBSP wrote:You were hardly beaten in the midfield against Ukraine.
    From this comment I can tell you didn't watch the game.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:45 am

Yeah, SBSP. Ukraine pretty much dominated them too. They were lucky to get away with three points.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 am

ahlycotc wrote:Maybe because the squad under Beckham was better than the one under Gerrard. English football has been on the decline for years and it's not the fault of Gerrard.

I kind of agree with this I mean used to have Beckham on the wing, now have Milner. Used to have Michael Owen, now have Carroll/Welbeck
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 am

The squad was undoubtably better when Beckham was captain. The problem then was Sven didn't like dropping the big players for the good of the team. I.e, trying and failing for years to partner Gerrard and Lampard (so much that he played England's best centre mid wide left), when bringing in Hargreaves/Carrick on a regular basis for one of them would probably have worked better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:31 am