Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
ricky//habana
SBSP
Weather130
Muhkoo
Zzonked
Paulinho
Theo Filippo
Mr Durmmond
ShakerMatty
Juventino
Rafael Benitez
easley91
ResurrectionRooney
crump
menalawyerguy
Jorlung
Mouse
21 posters

Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts

Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts Empty Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts

Post by Mouse Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Supports : TFC

Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts Empty Re: Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts

Post by Jorlung Fri May 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Not sure how I feel about this. I've never really liked the idea of penalties, thought it was too much luck involved (even though there is a fair bit of skill) to decided the World Cup Finals or Champions League finals. But at the same time it would kind of feel weird not having penalty shoot-outs anymore.
    Anonymous

Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts Empty Re: Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 pm

I despise penalties shoot-outs.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 pm

They are not a just way to decide a winner.
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Blatter must have had a divine intervention or something. First goal-line tech, now this. Laughing
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Fri May 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Thank god.

Bring back Golden Goal, that's a survival of the fittest. It comes down to who's been the best team an who's the fittest, way more fairer.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Penalty shootouts are awesome. Alright, they're not the most fair way of deciding things, but they're better than football as far as excitement's concerned.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Fri May 25, 2012 11:16 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Penalty shootouts are awesome. Alright, they're not the most fair way of deciding things, but they're better than football as far as excitement's concerned.

They're great for neutrals. That's it.

I hope England win a penalty shootout in my life time that I can remember before they stop them.
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Fri May 25, 2012 11:19 pm

My guess is they just hate the idea an English club won a European trophy via a shoot-out again. Laughing

At least now England won't go out on penalties anymore if it is no longer used. Very Happy
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 pm

crump wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:Penalty shootouts are awesome. Alright, they're not the most fair way of deciding things, but they're better than football as far as excitement's concerned.

I hope England win a penalty shootout in my life time that I can remember before they stop them.

They're great for the side who wins as well.
    Rafael Benitez
    Rafael Benitez

Supports : Malaga

Post by Rafael Benitez Fri May 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Eternal Witcher wrote:I despise penalties shoot-outs.

Me too, disgusting way to win.

Bring back Golden Goal!
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Fri May 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Golden Goal not worthy
    Juventino
    Juventino

Supports : Llorente

Post by Juventino Sat May 26, 2012 12:27 am

crump wrote:

Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts Tumblr_m4el7cFK071qihztbo1_250
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Post by ShakerMatty Sat May 26, 2012 12:30 am

I love penalty shootouts. I saw Bury lose one a few years back in the Playoffs but i would still rather have them in then golden goal.
    Mr Durmmond
    Mr Durmmond

Supports : Arnold, Willis and Kimberly.

Post by Mr Durmmond Sat May 26, 2012 1:07 am

Golden Goal would be replacement for extra time not penalty shootouts.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Sat May 26, 2012 1:11 am

easley91 wrote:My guess is they just hate the idea an English club won a European trophy via a shoot-out again. Laughing

At least now England won't go out on penalties anymore if it is no longer used. Very Happy
    Your guess is shit, everything always has to be about England doesn't it?
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Formerly known as : psyroukis
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Paulinho Sat May 26, 2012 1:11 am

Penalty shootouts are exciting, but still bullshit. Imagine they changed it so that after ET finished, there was an indefinite period of Golden Goal . That would be epic, they'd also probably introduce another 3 subs or something. Would transform the game.

Obviously not going to happen
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sat May 26, 2012 2:06 am

easley91 wrote:My guess is they just hate the idea an English club won a European trophy via a shoot-out again. Laughing

If you read the article, he also complained when France lost on penalties. So yeah, I guess it's only when they don't go the way he'd prefer he starts caring. Sepp Blatter seeks alternative to Penalty Shootouts 2156770003
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Sat May 26, 2012 2:13 am

Golden Goal luckily has nothing to do with this, and hope that doesn't come along again. That could be even more "luck" based than penalties are in the end, and with no way for the other team to fight back after. The ref that makes a wrong call on a golden goal? No thanks.

I like penalties, i don't see what would be able to replace them, more extra time is a terrible idea, almost as bad as coin toss. Replays wouldn't be possible with how modern football year/season works.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 2:26 am

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/news/soccer/debate-penalty-shoot-outs.aspx
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat May 26, 2012 3:51 am

If anyone here watches American hockkey (NHL) and how playoff games work could see why this is a bad idea. In the playoffs they play OT (overtime) until someone scores which sometimes results in playing enough minutes for 2 games in one night. The players start to really tire and cannot score without a mistake from the other team.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 am

This,

Fuck Sepp Blatter.
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Sat May 26, 2012 5:50 am

Muhkoo wrote:Golden Goal luckily has nothing to do with this, and hope that doesn't come along again. That could be even more "luck" based than penalties are in the end, and with no way for the other team to fight back after. The ref that makes a wrong call on a golden goal? No thanks.

I like penalties, i don't see what would be able to replace them, more extra time is a terrible idea, almost as bad as coin toss. Replays wouldn't be possible with how modern football year/season works.

If they do this...

Paulinho wrote:Penalty shootouts are exciting, but still bullshit.
    Imagine they changed it so that after ET finished, there was an
    indefinite period of Golden Goal
    . That would be epic, they'd also
    probably introduce another 3 subs or something. Would transform the
    game.
    It would cancel out that.

To be honest I like Paulinho's idea the best, gives them a chance to respond at first but if it goes on for ages it will just end in golden goal.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 26, 2012 5:55 am

If the infinite Extra Time rule was brought in it could result in deaths, can you imagine playing for 200 minutes in Qatar or somewhere like that?
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Sat May 26, 2012 5:59 am

They could introduce breaks or something. In NA's NHL they have infinite extra time in hockey matches but they have breaks every 20 minutes where they can get refreshed. But at the same time they aren't on the ice for the full 20 minutes.

Possible introduce re-subbing or something? No clue how we would really get around those certain outlandishly long games.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 26, 2012 6:08 am

Jorlung wrote:They could introduce breaks or something. In NA's NHL they have infinite extra time in hockey matches but they have breaks every 20 minutes where they can get refreshed. But at the same time they aren't on the ice for the full 20 minutes.

Possible introduce re-subbing or something? No clue how we would really get around those certain outlandishly long games.

Even with re-subbing and little breaks, it'd be a fucking ordeal, and if a player did die in a hot country FIFA would be castigated for it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 6:09 am

I like the idea of just having extra time constantly, except the winner is decided after 15 minutes.

For example at 90 minutes is 1-1. Play 15 minutes, if no one scores - 5 minute break. Keep doing this until there is a winner after one of the 15 minutes. Teams get a chance to reply if they concede, it makes it more about the team and I think a 5 minute break every 15 minutes is sufficient.

Also either give an extra sub for each of these 15 minutes, so at 90, 105, 120, 135 etc.. Or allow a player that has already subbed to be brought back on every 15 minutes, at 90, 105, 120, 135 etc.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 6:37 am

Mr Durmmond wrote:Golden Goal would be replacement for extra time not penalty shootouts.
    This.

Also, the prospect of having 3+ hours of extra time is the kind of idiotic idea you only find in American sports.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 6:44 am

Don't agree they are better than football for excitement but they are awesome.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat May 26, 2012 8:28 am

Golden goal was awful.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:18 pm