Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
ResurrectionRooney
dena
RubyArmyCTFC
crump
Jordi
Ricardo
menalawyerguy
Grenade
Lux
Childish Logic
SBSP
15 posters

Do you believe in capital punishment?

Poll

Death Penalty: Yes or No?

[ 13 ]
    Do you believe in capital punishment? Bar_left68%Do you believe in capital punishment? Bar_right [68%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Do you believe in capital punishment? Bar_left32%Do you believe in capital punishment? Bar_right [32%] 

Total Votes: 19
    SBSP
    SBSP

Do you believe in capital punishment? Empty Do you believe in capital punishment?

Post by SBSP Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Inspired by talk in the Casey Anthony thread. This is an interesting topic, so there should be some good debate. Smile

Basically, do you agree with capital punishment, and that it is the best option in some cases; or do you think it's cruel and unusual, and that it should never be done?
    Anonymous

Do you believe in capital punishment? Empty Re: Do you believe in capital punishment?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:34 pm

I refuse to take part in this poll. I don't think the death penalty is cruel and unusual, but at the same time, I don't think it's the best option.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Do you believe in capital punishment? Empty Re: Do you believe in capital punishment?

Post by Childish Logic Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Only in certain situations.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm

People who are only burdens to society and have no hope of turning it around and being productive might as well.

But that's pretty hard to quantify so......perhaps anyone who is a reoffender of major crimes.

But I'd only do it if killing them was actually cheaper then keeping them alive all their life.......sometimes it's not and that's just retarded facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Of course.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Defiantly. It deters alot of criminals so yes.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:48 pm

SBSP wrote:

Basically, do you agree with capital punishment,
    HELL YEA!
    and that it is the best option in some cases;
    It's the best option in almost all cases, especially the case of Rolo, for example

or do you think it's cruel and unusual, and that it should never be done?
    I believe it is cruel, unusual and totally awesome! Do you believe in capital punishment? 158228
    Ricardo
    Ricardo

Post by Ricardo Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:55 pm

No, because incorrect verdicts can and will be sanctioned from time to time and once capital punishment is deployed on the "criminal" there's no coming back.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Depending on the severity of the offence the offender caused, and only if there is concrete evidence that points to the offender committing the crime.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:13 pm

No.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes, if it's a crime worthy of it.

Why waste tax-payers money on sickos such as that Huntley chap or whatever, when a deadly needly can cost what £10? I dunno how much but, people like that shouldn't be allowed on the streets.

I'm stressing I don't want us like America where you get like 40 years for manslaughter and it wasn't your fault, capitla punishment to be used for the sickest of crimes.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:18 pm

crump wrote:Yes, if it's a crime worthy of it.

Why waste tax-payers money on sickos such as that Huntley chap or whatever, when a deadly needly can cost what £10? I dunno how much but, people like that shouldn't be allowed on the streets.

I'm stressing I don't want us like America where you get like 40 years for manslaughter and it wasn't your fault, capitla punishment to be used for the sickest of crimes.

You don't get 40 years for manslaughter in any American state that I know of. And if it "wasn't your fault" is a matter of fact for a jury to decide. Sometimes, mistakes are made and facts are found that didn't exist but that's not an American phenomenon. That happens everywhere from time to time.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:19 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

You don't get 40 years for manslaughter in any American state that I know of. And if it "wasn't your fault" is a matter of fact for a jury to decide. Sometimes, mistakes are made and facts are found that didn't exist but that's not an American phenomenon. That happens everywhere from time to time.

it wasn't a 100% correct judgement, but I don't agree with America's prisons, have you seen some of them? There's like 30 to one big cell and fights take place all the time in a survival of the fittest type thing.

I was aiming more to the point of America's "50 - 70 years" imprisoment, what's the point? Sometime's it isn't deserved, sometime's it is, but on another point, if an inmate has 120 year prison sentence why not give them the death penalty, wtf is all that about?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:25 pm

crump wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

it wasn't a 100% correct judgement, but I don't agree with America's prisons, have you seen some of them? There's like 30 to one big cell and fights take place all the time in a survival of the fittest type thing.

I was aiming more to the point of America's "50 - 70 years" imprisoment, what's the point? Sometime's it isn't deserved, sometime's it is, but on another point, if an inmate has 120 year prison sentence why not give them the death penalty, wtf is all that about?

Where did all these experts with intimate knowledge of American prisons suddenly come from on this forum? I didn't know we had so many ex-cons on this forum.
    But yes, prison sucks. Not all of them are as you describe.
    Anyway, I am not sure what that had to do with getting 40 years for manslaughter. In most states, you only get that much time for murder in the first or second degree, or if you are convicted of a variety of felonies with a ton of aggravating circumstances (for example, rape with a deadly weapon by a guy with a bunch of violent prior convictions). Some states have the death penalty, some states don't. Even in the ones that do have it, it only applies in particularly egregious circumstances there are such high evidentiary thresholds that it is very rarely given.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 pm

ahlycotc wrote:I refuse to take part in this poll. I don't think the death penalty is cruel and unusual, but at the same time, I don't think it's the best option.
    This.
    RubyArmyCTFC
    RubyArmyCTFC

Supports : Cheltenham Town

Post by RubyArmyCTFC Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 pm

In some cases, yes.

Such as:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010878/Father-raped-month-old-son-infected-HIV.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273595/16-year-olds-stabbing-death-brings-number-teenage-murders-10-capital.html

dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Oh hell yeah, not only do people like Casey Anthony deserved to be put the fuck down, but the prison system is overcrowded and expensive anyway,dropping one or two guys per year who don't deserve it will be worth it,
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:50 pm

No. It is wrong and makes us just as bad as the person who committed a crime. It's like saying, if you murder someone, we'll murder you.

Although, prison life is too easy. They should take it back to prisons they had in the middle ages. Fuck human rights, they lost theirs when they killed someone.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Isn't the right to life one of those human rights?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:Isn't the right to life one of those human rights?

Probably. But it's pretty hypocritical telling people not to murder someone, when someone is 'legally' killing someone because they committed a crime.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:50 am

Dan wrote:

Probably. But it's pretty hypocritical telling people not to murder someone, when someone is 'legally' killing someone because they committed a crime.

So if someone captures you and puts you in a cell, they feed you and let you exercise, but if you try to escape they beat you down to subdue you and tell you they'll keep you there for a longer period, do you think they should go to prison if the police get them?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:52 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Dan wrote:

So if someone captures you and puts you in a cell, they feed you and let you exercise, but if you try to escape they beat you down to subdue you and tell you they'll keep you there for a longer period, do you think they should go to prison if the police get them?

No, because I'm not a mental case and I've not said they should. That's a bit different to murder though isn't it. Complete opposites.
    CollieBuddz
    CollieBuddz

Post by CollieBuddz Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:58 am

Of course I believe in capital punishment. It happens all the time.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:05 am

Dan wrote:
    Dan wrote:

No, because I'm not a mental case and I've not said they should. That's a bit different to murder though isn't it. Complete opposites.

What? Of course they should. It's not the opposite of murder, if someone falsely imprisons someone then we punish them by imprisoning them. If someone threatens someone to extort money out of them the legal system threatens them to force them to pay a fine, or imprisons them. The judiciary often does things which are illegal for ordinary citizens, it's not hypocritical, nor is capital punishment.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:06 am

Dan wrote:
    Dan wrote:

What? Of course they should. It's not the opposite of murder, if someone falsely imprisons someone then we punish them by imprisoning them. If someone threatens someone to extort money out of them the legal system threatens them to force them to pay a fine, or imprisons them. The judiciary often does things which are illegal for ordinary citizens, it's not hypocritical, nor is capital punishment.

OK. I read it wrong. What has that got to do with what I was saying?. scratch
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:10 am

You're saying it's hypocritical to kill someone, because we have laws against murder, I'm saying that's bollocks.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:11 am

Yeah, but you're a moron. You don't think it is hypocritical to tell everyone not to kill anyone, but then do the opposite?
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:15 am

I do, there are people that should never be let out and then keeping them in prison for their 100 year+ sentences is just stupid waste of money. At some point in time human life became worth more than it is, specially when governments are spending more money keeping murdering lunatics locked up than hard working families just trying to get by day by day. In many western countries a lot of people could benefit from committing crimes and getting caught -.-
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:38 am

Dan wrote:Yeah, but you're a moron. You don't think it is hypocritical to tell everyone not to kill anyone, but then do the opposite?

But don't you think the penalty for buggering sheep is that the person who buggered sheep should get buggered by a sheep in return? Eye for an eye, anus for an anus.

Also, what about kidnapping? We tell people not to kidnap. But when they do, we essentially kidnap them, force them to live against their will in a max security prison for 5 to 15 getting buggered by a 275 ib black guy named bubba.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 am

Dan wrote:Yeah, but you're a moron. You don't think it is hypocritical to tell everyone not to kill anyone, but then do the opposite?
    Yeah, alright, I'm the moron, you have a log in your eye.

It's not hypocritical for the law to tell people not to kill someone, and the Judiciary to kill people who commit crimes any more than it's hypocritical for the law to tell people not to imprison people, and then imprison people who commit crimes. The hypocrisy argument is a complete red herring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:54 pm