Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Mal
Jamie
Cornholio
7 posters

Black managers need extra help.

Cornholio
    Cornholio

Black managers need extra help. Empty Black managers need extra help.

Post by Cornholio Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Black British managers need extra help - Gordon Taylor
    Paul Ince
    Paul Ince is one of only two Black managers in England's top leagues

Black British managerial hopefuls should be interviewed for vacant posts as of right to tackle discrimination in football, according to Gordon Taylor.

The Professional Footballers' Association chief said he would back the introduction of a new regulation modelled on the NFL's 'Rooney Rule'.

Under this rule, teams must interview minority candidates for senior posts.

Paul Ince of Notts County and Chris Powell of Charlton are the only black bosses currently at league clubs.

Taylor told BBC 5 Live: "I find it astonishing that we can import the likes of Jean Tigana and Ruud Gullit and there's no problem, but our own lads who have grown up in this country have not been given a chance to be fairly represented."

Taylor said the 'Rooney Rule' had "without a shadow of a doubt made a difference" since it was introduced in the NFL in 2003.

"We have got to learn from other sports and other countries, and we saw how many top quality Black gridiron players there were and how few Black coaches," he said.

"But they came in with that rule and it's made a difference, and now it's become assimilated into the culture of the NFL."

Taylor said, though, that he would only support the introduction of a similar rule in English football if he "felt encouraged by all my black players or black players who are qualified coaches and feel they have not been given proper opportunities".

THE 'ROONEY RULE'
    NFL
    Named after Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney
    Teams must interview at least one minority candidate for top positions
    In 2003, the Detroit Lions were fined $200,000 for breaking the rule

"If we get more players like Chris Powell who are prepared to go for it and not expect a top job, that's what we need to try and encourage," he added.

Powell, the former England left-back, was named as manager of Charlton in January, after a spell as coach and, for one game, caretaker manager at Leicester.

Ince, the former Manchester United and England midfielder, has had mixed fortunes during a longer managerial career.

He learnt his trade at Manfield before leading Milton Keynes Dons to a Football League Trophy final victory in March 2008 and to the League Two title a month later.

Ince then became the first black British manager in England's top division when he joined Blackburn Rovers in June 2008 - though he did not hold a UEFA pro licence.

However, he was was sacked after six months in charge and three wins in 17 games, and returned to MK Dons in July 2009. He subsequently resigned in April 2010 and joined Notts County six months later.

Taylor said Ince should have been fully qualified when he took the Blackburn post, but added: "I spoke to Richard Scudamore [the chief executive of the FA Premier League] and said 'we've got to give him a chance, we have promised that we'll fast-track him and get him qualified'.

"I said 'we don't want to make a scene about it but we would do if we needed to'.

"But he said, 'Gordon, I agree, we will do all we can'."

Ince said it was "really hard to comprehend" that would-be managers could lose out on jobs because of their colour.

But it would also be hard for him, as an experienced manager, to raise this as an issue if he was unsuccessful.

"Are people going to listen to that or just think that's sour grapes because he didn't get the job," he said.

Oh I get it.

Black managers should be equal to white managers, so we'll give extra help to black managers.

Equality.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Black managers need extra help. Empty Re: Black managers need extra help.

Post by Jamie Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm

facepalm

This is like when Paul Ince claimed he wasn't given enough chances because he was black. No Paul, it's because you were shit.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm

It's so stupid. I read on an application once "Here we are all about equality especially towards women and the disabled" Suspect

If they want to be equal then they shouldn't single themselves out because of their skin colour.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:55 pm

Mal wrote:It's so stupid. I read on an application once "Here we are all about equality especially towards women and the disabled" Suspect

If they want to be equal then they shouldn't single themselves out because of their skin colour.

Exactly.

Couple of other things aswell.

Companies have to have a certain amount of minority workers so they're not being racist.

So let's say this company hasn't met the quota.

They advertise for a job. 3 people go for the job, 2 white and 1 black. The 2 white people are more than qualified, have experience and that. The black person doesn't. So the company are not being racist, they pick the black person. Why? Purely because he's black.

The world has gone fucking backwards.

Also, handicapped people will tell you they are equal in every way. But they have no problem going to collect their disability allowance from the government.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 pm

I hate when girls go on about equal rights, yet we're not allowed to hit them.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Laughing
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm

It doesn't say choose does it, it just says that a black candidate must be interviewed which could be turned down so the choosing domestically is more fair and not limited to de facto segregation
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:00 pm

It is all bullshit. It's like society wants racism and labels people who are not white as 'minorities'.

I'm not saying all but a lot of black people I know are racist to themselves and see everything as a racist insult when it's not. They single themselves out.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 pm

Fonseca wrote:It doesn't say choose does it, it just says that a black candidate must be interviewed which could be turned down so the choosing domestically is more fair and not limited to de facto segregation

It doesn't matter.

It's stupid and a waste of time.

All candidates can be looked up on the internet to see what they've done.

If Mancini gets sacked and Mourinho and Benitez are up for the job. What's the point in interviewing Paul fucking Ince?

It's more P.C bollocks.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 pm

What's the definition of senior positions? I see that as just general managers no? If they're good enough they will be selected, there's no limitations to how many interviewees are required. Brighton aren't gonna sign Mancini are they? that's where they have the opportunity to start in a lower league.

It's an outdated system but it doesn't change the fact it's still de facto related
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 pm

Without knowing too much about the black manager situation in England, I would have to assume that (just from the law of averages) that some black managers are turned down when they are perfectly capable for a position (mainly in the lower leagues); but any sort of affirmative action is frowned upon, most of the time anyway. The NFL has the Rooney rule in which each team looking for a new coach must interview at least one black candidate, and while it had some opposition at the beginning, black coaches have proven themselves equally good -- and bad, as white coaches. Will never happen in England though.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Fonseca wrote:What's the definition of senior positions? I see that as just general managers no? If they're good enough they will be selected, there's no limitations to how many interviewees are required. Brighton aren't gonna sign Mancini are they? that's where they have the opportunity to start in a lower league.

It's an outdated system but it doesn't change the fact it's still de facto related

I don't know what 9 of those words meant.

My position is unchanged.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:23 pm

dena wrote:Without knowing too much about the black manager situation in England, I would have to assume that (just from the law of averages) that some black managers are turned down when they are perfectly capable for a position (mainly in the lower leagues); but any sort of affirmative action is frowned upon, most of the time anyway. The NFL has the Rooney rule in which each team looking for a new coach must interview at least one black candidate, and while it had some opposition at the beginning, black coaches have proven themselves equally good -- and bad, as white coaches. Will never happen in England though.

See, in my opinion that's singling out a black man as different when they're not. We're all equals so everyone should be treated the same way.
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:24 pm

It's all a bit PC gone mad IMO. I agree that seeing more Black managers would be good, but to enforce a law that you have to interview at least one minority candidate is unnecessary. If a Black manager is good enough for the job, I'm sure he'll get it. There are enough black players in league football for me to believe that there is no inherit racism in English football when it comes to club appointments/signings.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:26 pm

Mal wrote:
    dena wrote:Without knowing too much about the black manager situation in England, I would have to assume that (just from the law of averages) that some black managers are turned down when they are perfectly capable for a position (mainly in the lower leagues); but any sort of affirmative action is frowned upon, most of the time anyway. The NFL has the Rooney rule in which each team looking for a new coach must interview at least one black candidate, and while it had some opposition at the beginning, black coaches have proven themselves equally good -- and bad, as white coaches. Will never happen in England though.

See, in my opinion that's singling out a black man as different when they're not. We're all equals so everyone should be treated the same way.

By law everyone is fair, by practice it is a different case
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 pm

Mal wrote:

In a way it's sort of a counterweight to the fact that whoever is charged with finding a new manager would not look towards a black candidate, this sort of forces them to do it, not many people will agree with it, I don't agree with it in some ways either, and I think that the NFL has proven that the rule does not need to be enforced anymore because like I said black managers have proven to be equal to whites, but I think it's hard to deny that in countries like hours black people have been denied opprotunities because of their skin color, this provides an opportunity, not telling Brighton & Hove to go out and hire a black manager just for the fuck of it, but it sort of gives em a push.

If a Black manager is good enough for the job, I'm sure he'll get it. There are enough black players in league football for me to believe that there is no inherit racism in English football when it comes to club appointments/signings.

How many managers are in the English and Scottish (let's put Welsh in their too) football leagues? I'm sure a couple of dozen black managers have the right badges and experience as assistants or whatever, I think the ratio is heavily disproportioned.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:39 pm

dena wrote:
    Mal wrote:

In a way it's sort of a counterweight to the fact that whoever is charged with finding a new manager would not look towards a black candidate, this sort of forces them to do it, not many people will agree with it, I don't agree with it in some ways either, and I think that the NFL has proven that the rule does not need to be enforced anymore because like I said black managers have proven to be equal to whites, but I think it's hard to deny that in countries like hours black people have been denied opprotunities because of their skin color, this provides an opportunity, not telling Brighton & Hove to go out and hire a black manager just for the fuck of it, but it sort of gives em a push.

If a Black manager is good enough for the job, I'm sure he'll get it. There are enough black players in league football for me to believe that there is no inherit racism in English football when it comes to club appointments/signings.

How many managers are in the English and Scottish (let's put Welsh in their too) football leagues? I'm sure a couple of dozen black managers have the right badges and experience as assistants or whatever, I think the ratio is heavily disproportioned.

Couldn't have said it better, even the title quotes "help" not demands or privileges ect
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 pm

The help is still a privilege.

Don't look at the stats. Look at individuals, now.

2 players just finished their playing career. 1 white and 1 black.

The white man has wanted to be a manager since he started playing. It's his real ambition. He doesn't have experience, but he has the passion and just needs a chance.

The black man has just started thinking what is he going to do with himself now. Managing interests him so he'll see what it's like.

A position comes up. Normally none of these two would be considered because they don't have experience. But BAM, the black man is straight in there with an interview and is making strides in his career. While the white man hasn't heard back and has become disillusioned with the game, hit the booze quite hard, and ending up dying a sad, unfulfilled man.

How is this fair?
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm

Paul Ince is a terrible manager too but was well respected by the fans at MK Dons, Macclesfield, Blackburn and now Notts County.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:54 pm

Cornholio wrote:The help is still a privilege.

The white man has wanted to be a manager since he started playing. It's his real ambition. He doesn't have experience, but he has the passion and just needs a chance.

The black man has just started thinking what is he going to do with himself now. Managing interests him so he'll see what it's like.

A position comes up. Normally none of these two would be considered because they don't have experience. But BAM, the black man is straight in there with an interview and is making strides in his career. While the white man hasn't heard back and has become disillusioned with the game, hit the booze quite hard, and ending up dying a sad, unfulfilled man.

How is this fair?

That's not fair, but if you a competent individual in charge of finding a manager for your football club, you will interview BOTH candidates. No one is saying that because you interview a black candidate you can't interview a white one, there is no limit to how many people you can interview. So why would this situation even occur.

At a glance, I looked over at Chris Hughton's bio really quickly, and see that he served as an assistant and youth coach for Spurs for a time, seven different managers were hired while he was a youth coach, he even served as caretaker for a period of time, I wonder if he was ever looked at as a full time option for Spurs... and when Newcastle needed a new manager, they didn't go to Hughton either, they went to a man with no experience in Alan Sherear, finding out the back room politics behind these situations is impossible, but it makes you wonder.
    dd-m
    dd-m

Black managers need extra help. Empty Black British managers need extra help - Gordon Taylor

Post by dd-m Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:57 pm

The question is, if you can employ Roy Keane, Gareth
    Southgate, Tony Adams, Gordon Strachan, Chris Powell, Gary Speed, Mark Hughes,
    why then the black players who played with them have not got a job?

1 in 4 professional in the EPL are black!

It’s fair that we have to ask questions and follow up the
    reasons.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 am

dena wrote:
    Cornholio wrote:The help is still a privilege.

How is this fair?

That's not fair, but if you a competent individual in charge of finding a manager for your football club, you will interview BOTH candidates. No one is saying that because you interview a black candidate you can't interview a white one, there is no limit to how many people you can interview. So why would this situation even occur.

At a glance, I looked over at Chris Hughton's bio really quickly, and see that he served as an assistant and youth coach for Spurs for a time, seven different managers were hired while he was a youth coach, he even served as caretaker for a period of time, I wonder if he was ever looked at as a full time option for Spurs... and when Newcastle needed a new manager, they didn't go to Hughton either, they went to a man with no experience in Alan Sherear, finding out the back room politics behind these situations is impossible, but it makes you wonder.

Like I said, normally neither of the two would be interviewed. It's rare for someone with no experience in a coaching role will be interviewed. But because the black man decides that managing interests him, he automatically has to be considered. I don't agree with it.

Hughton's past does seem a bit dodgy. But I bet it's happened to hundreds of white people but has never been focused on in the media. The decision for him to be sacked was ridiculous but Ashley is a fat clown who wanted to give his casino buddy a job. I don't think race was in issue there.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 am

They should take Michael Jacksons lead then.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 am

Lol. Equality is pointless, as one pushes for equality, it singles out another.

That's why I'm glad I'm in a profession that at the moment prioritises males over females. Suck on that bitches.. Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:11 am