Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

So.... how are the new managers getting on?

Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Supports : Blackburn Rovers, Coleraine & Rangers

So.... how are the new managers getting on? Empty So.... how are the new managers getting on?

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:18 pm

I was just thinking about this today whilst watching Fulham v West Ham. This time last season they both had different managers and were both in different positions in the league. Fulham had Roy Hodgson but he wasn't sacked, he took the opportunity to manage Liverpool, so you can't blame the owners of Fulham for that one. But West Ham on the other hand sacked Zola and his replacement Grant hasn't had the Hammers above 17th (where Zola left the team at the end of last season).

So using the Premier League as an example, lets look at the managerial departures since the end of last season.

• West Ham United sacked Gianfranco Zola and replaced him with Avram Grant.

• Liverpool sacked Rafael Benítez and brought in Roy Hodgson from Fulham as his replacement.

• Fulham allowed Roy Hodgson to take the Liverpool job and replaced him with Mark Hughes.

• Martin O'Neill resigned as Aston Villa manager just before the start of the season, and after allowing Kevin McDonald to take caretaker charge to prove his worth, O'Neill was eventually replaced by Gérard Houllier.

• Newcastle United sacked Chris Hughton and replaced him with Alan Pardew.

• Blackburn Rovers sacked Sam Allardyce and after one game in caretaker charge they give Steve Kean the job until the end of the season.

If you're wondering what my point is, regardless of the reasons why each individual manager left their post (by resignation, sacking, taking another job etc) have their replacements fared any better? You can argue quite easily that none of the Premier League managers are doing a job of a similar standard or a better standard than their predecessor. But then again you need to give some of the newer faces a chance.

I just thought i would highlight how the new Premier League managers are faring in their respective jobs. I could've done more information, but i'm very tired. Tired
    Anonymous

So.... how are the new managers getting on? Empty Re: So.... how are the new managers getting on?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 pm

No. Nowhere fucking near.. Crying or Very sad
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

So.... how are the new managers getting on? Empty Re: So.... how are the new managers getting on?

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Dan wrote:No. Nowhere fucking near.. Crying or Very sad

Tell me about it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:21 pm

You need to say

'Discuss...'

At the end!
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Discuss...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Colin Calderwood. Sacked December 2008. Forest in the relegation zone.

Fast forward to 2010. Billy Davies in charge. Forest probably one of the best teams in the Championship.

Some sackings work out well.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:24 pm

forestfcfan ♥ wrote:Colin Calderwood. Sacked December 2009. Forest in the relegation zone.

Fast forward to 2010. Billy Davies in charge. Forest probably one of the best teams in the Championship.

Some sackings work out well.

Oh yeah that's true, some sackings do work out. There's the Calderwood example, Harry Redknapp replacing Ramos at Spurs and the mighty Big Sam saving us after the shambles of Paul Ince.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Mr. Hassard wrote:

Tell me about it.

Is that a 'Tell me about it' as in something you can relate to, or a 'Tell me about it' style question like a Psychologist would ask to get me to expand on my point that is quite painful for me to talk about?. shifty
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Dan wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

Tell me about it.

Is that a 'Tell me about it' as in something you can relate to, or a 'Tell me about it' style question like a Psychologist would ask to get me to expand on my point that is quite painful for me to talk about?. shifty

It can work either way. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Mr. Hassard wrote:
    Dan wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

Tell me about it.

Well, it all started when I was 18....

shifty
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Shit. I just got knocked oput of the FA Cup by Chelsea who keep fucking beating me temper
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Dan wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:
    Dan wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

Tell me about it.

Well, it all started when I was 18....

shifty

Go on.... Popcorn
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Wisla sacked our previous manager Skorza for Henryk Kaszperczak last season. We sacked Kasperczak at the end of the season, than we had Tomasz Kulawik take charge.

Then in the summer Kulawik signed for Wisla's youth team (which for some fucking unknown reason is considered a separate team, so Wisla actually had to pay itself for Kulawik's compensation facepalm) and signed Robert Maaskant from Holland.

Maaskant has tooken us to near relegation zone to European spot at different times this season. Laughing Tough to say, but he is a foreign manager and foreigners >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x100000000000000000000 >'s better than Polish managers.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:35 pm

To me, only the sacking of Zola made sense, the others were all unnecessary, saying that. New managers need time to put their influence on the team, so it's not surprising to see these teams struggle.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:36 pm

dena wrote:To me, only the sacking of Zola made sense, the others were all unnecessary, saying that. New managers need time to put their influence on the team, so it's not surprising to see these teams struggle.

But you could even argue that the sacking of Zola was a mistake, couldn't you?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Mr. Hassard wrote:
    dena wrote:To me, only the sacking of Zola made sense, the others were all unnecessary, saying that. New managers need time to put their influence on the team, so it's not surprising to see these teams struggle.

Well, I'd rather have Zola has my future manager than Grant, who I think is terrible, but West Ham were so bad last year you could make a strong argument for him being sacked. In the other cases I don't see as strong an argument.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Basically sack Zola, but appoint someone other than Grant?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:39 pm

This is how well ours has gone.. Neutral

So.... how are the new managers getting on? Rafa-back
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:43 pm

SBSP_FIFA wrote:Basically sack Zola, but appoint someone other than Grant?

Yeah, although I would've been OK with giving Zola the summer to try to bolster the squad and some time to try to make it work.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Dan wrote:This is how well ours has gone.. Neutral

I'm not sure, but I think they might want Rafael Benitez back. Dry Smile
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:44 pm

dena wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

Well, I'd rather have Zola has my future manager than Grant, who I think is terrible, but West Ham were so bad last year you could make a strong argument for him being sacked. In the other cases I don't see as strong an argument.

Well yes West Ham were poor last season but this season apart from a couple of results they are very similar to that this season. But i can see where you are coming from with that one though, plus Zola wasn't too keen on the way the owners ran the club either.

SBSP_FIFA wrote:Basically sack Zola, but appoint someone other than Grant?

Supposedly Big Sam was meant to be on their short-list also, but Grant got the job ahead of him.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:45 pm

SBSP_FIFA wrote:

Nah, Nadal for Liverpool.. Basketball
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Dan wrote:
    SBSP_FIFA wrote:

Duh. :derr:

How did I miss that? doh
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:54 pm

SBSP_FIFA wrote:
    Dan wrote:
    SBSP_FIFA wrote:

Duh. :derr:

How did I miss that? doh

I can't blame you it's getting late, and we're all very tired.
    Kris
    Kris

Post by Kris Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Another time it worked, getting a manager sacked, John Jensen got sacked in Randers, after 11 matches and only 2 points, and replaced by Ove Christensen. Ove Christensen took Randers to surival, in a season, where the record for highest amount of points for a relegated team was broken.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:13 am