Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Dean
Schnix
Sean
fergiesrednose
El Jefe
Jamie
Marvin
Mr. Hassard
12 posters

Do Football Managers actually do any coaching?

Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Supports : Blackburn Rovers, Coleraine & Rangers

Do Football Managers actually do any coaching? Empty Do Football Managers actually do any coaching?

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:23 am

I have recently started training with a local football team for the past week, pre-season has begun so it's been pure fitness for the three sessions we have done. Anyway that's not my point of writing this article...

At this team, the senior first team, seconds team (reserves) and thirds teams' players all trained together, and we are all "coached" by one person. He does all the work on the training pitch; laying out cones, conducting the sessions, basically everything you'd expect a coach to do. And as we are training, there stand the actual managers of the teams; just standing there, saying nothing and watching us. It isn't only grassroots coaches who are like this, I know Sir Alex has a team of coaches to do all the work whilst he observes. But this has just lead to me asking the question - do managers actually do any coaching at all?

I know they do the team talks, motivate the players before, during and at half-time during games, and of course observe the training sessions. But do they actually do any coaching with the players?

I may just be blind here and not seeing the obvious, but this has bugged me today.

Discuss. Wink
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Do Football Managers actually do any coaching? Empty Re: Do Football Managers actually do any coaching?

Post by Marvin Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 am

Depends on the manager. I know that Owen Coyle likes to be hands on so you will often see him doing the actual training with the coaches, while other just tell the coaches what to do and stand aside.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Do Football Managers actually do any coaching? Empty Re: Do Football Managers actually do any coaching?

Post by Jamie Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:35 am

Some do, some don't.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:36 am

Depends on the manager's personal preferences.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:46 am

Probably depends on the managers background.

If a manager used to be a coach before a manager, than I highly expect him to be involved in the coaching.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:48 am

And here's me wanting to become a coach, when I could just become manager and get a team of coaches to do all the hard work for me. shifty

I thought being team manager was the same as being first team coach etc, how wrong I was. think Ah well, it's good to learn something new I suppose. Smile
    fergiesrednose
    fergiesrednose

Post by fergiesrednose Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:04 am

sir matt busby was considered the first manager to coach. clap

RIP Busby pray
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:51 am

Well Im sure they'll give coaches instructions on what they want to team to work on, specific formations, set-pieces etc
    Schnix
    Schnix

Supports : AS Roma, AC Siena, any Bundesliga club but Bayern

Post by Schnix Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 am

our new coach/former-barca player luis enrique actually plays and coaches

his fitness levels are amazing for a retired player
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:15 am

Schnix wrote:our new coach/former-barca player luis enrique actually plays and coaches

Still versatile as fuck then not worthy
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:19 am

Mangers have been their and done it. So they don't have to do it. It's not their job. But as some have said, some like to stay and be hands on with the coaching and stuff. They will sit down with coaches and plan sessions, but they won't actually 'run' the session. They'll basically oversee the session and get involved when they feel they need to.
    Dedge
    Dedge

Post by Dedge Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:21 am

I guess it's how the big the clubs are. Some of the top Premier League teams might just hire fuck loads of coaches and let the manager do what he likes if the manager is like that. Vice Versa for different managers and lower leagues.
    Schnix
    Schnix

Supports : AS Roma, AC Siena, any Bundesliga club but Bayern

Post by Schnix Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:21 am

Fine Shagger wrote:
    Schnix wrote:our new coach/former-barca player luis enrique actually plays and coaches

Still versatile as fuck then Do Football Managers actually do any coaching? 914411

i actually never knew or heard of LE before he recently became our manager.

but this is enough to make me respect him already

After retiring from football, Luis Enrique [...] took part in the 2005 edition of the New York City Marathon, finished the Amsterdam Marathon in 2006, the Firenze Marathon in 2007 and the Marathon des Sables in 2008, while also entering and finishing Frankfurt Ironman in 2007.

like i said, he's probably more fit than some players on our team. and he'd probably still be able to play competitive football for a championship or serie B club

all this but FM only gave this guy a 4/20 for fitness coaching in staff attributes Rolling Eyes
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am

Schnix wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

Still versatile as fuck then Do Football Managers actually do any coaching? 914411

After retiring from football, Luis Enrique [...] took part in the 2005 edition of the New York City Marathon, finished the Amsterdam Marathon in 2006, the Firenze Marathon in 2007 and the Marathon des Sables in 2008, while also entering and finishing Frankfurt Ironman in 2007.

like i said, he's probably more fit than some players on our team. and he'd probably still be able to play competitive football for a championship or serie B club

all this but FM only gave this guy a 4/20 for fitness coaching in staff attributes Rolling Eyes

He was fantastic as a player. Midfielder, striker, defender...he could play anywhere.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:42 am

But this is the thing I don't understand then, how come it is the managers that get all the credit then, whilst the coaches who do most of the work get little or no mention at all? I know now that managers do deserve a lot of credit, they keep things running smoothly, advise their coaches what to do, conduct team talks etc. But surely the coaches that actually do the vast majority of the work deserve more credit than they get?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 am

Schnix wrote:
    Fine Shagger wrote:

The researchers don't bother filling in stats for coaches.. Likely it is all randomized.
    wellz
    wellz

Supports : The Troops

Post by wellz Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 am

this thread is a joke.

Managers are like directors. they pick and choose how their team trains, when they train. what they do in training. individual work with players. give them advice and preparations going into matches. They make sure their squads are prepared and most important of all they pick who plays and where.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 pm

There is a a team manager and a team coach. One person can perform the two duties, but they are two distinct duties.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 am

I wonder if there is a manager out there who does it all. Who does all the coaching and managing all by himself. think shifty
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:27 am

I know that Watford's do.

All of our last 5 managers have been younger than 40.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:44 am

Nigel Adkins does I think, pulled his hammy in his first session. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:14 pm