Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Uncle John from Jamaica
Dean
Danny
Theo Filippo
Ben
Lux
Hernandez_14
Mickybhoy1888
luke.
Sean
Mr. Hassard
15 posters

I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching...

Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Supports : Blackburn Rovers, Coleraine & Rangers

I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... Empty I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching...

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 am

Since my final GCSE exams are coming up in June, i am under pressure to decide what to do next year. Stay on at school, go out into the workplace and get a job, learn a trade, or study a BTEC/Diploma at my local College. But i am seriously considering, regardless if i get enough GCSE's to stay on at school and do my A-levels, to pursue my dream in becoming a coach. A football coach would no doubt be my preferred coaching choice.

There is a BTEC Sports course available at my local college, which says leads on to relative Higher Education courses and later on, sports coaching. I think this is the correct route to take, but i thought i would post this on here so i could get the opinions of you members and recommend what i should do.

My dream is to, first of all get a coaching job at some capacity within football, before eventually working my way up through the ranks and becoming a head coach/manager of a football team. I know to reach the top will take years of hard work, but i willing to do all it takes in order to achieve my dream.

One thing which i feel is a major let-down to me is that i don't actually play for any clubs or teams. Does this matter and could it badly affect my chances of ever coaching a football team? I have done research into this, and i found out that there is no record of Avram Grant ever playing football, and he started coaching career at the age of 18.

I would just like some opinions of members here on what i have just said and what i should do. And i would really appreciate serious responses only. If you haven't got anything to say which will benefit me, be it positively or negatively, i would rather you don't waste your time or mine.
    Anonymous

I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... Empty Re: I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching...

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:48 am

I do think not having played for a team will affect your chances, but since there are a few that have done it without a playing career shows its possible to do so.

I think Mourinho and the Villa Boas guy both didn't have playing careers, and they are both considered top managers now.
    Sean

I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... Empty Re: I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching...

Post by Sean Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 am

Mourinho did play at Amatuer level A's I'm sure most coaches have
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 am

Bogdan wrote:I do think not having played for a team will affect your chances, but since there are a few that have done it without a playing career shows its possible to do so.

I think Mourinho and the Villa Boas guy both didn't have playing careers, and they are both considered top managers now.

You are correct to a certain extent, although they did have playing careers, they were both very low-profile and largly unsuccessful ones.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 am

arrigo sacchi never played proffesionally, infact he never even kicked a ball in a competitive match in his life[

but he won 2 european cups I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... 158228
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:52 am

It was something I looked into before I took the course I'm on now. Would've loved to do it and am going to get my coaching badges at some point in the future.

I don't think it matters too much if you haven't played in the long-term, but while you are learning and getting your badges or whatever, it might be a little difficult to grasp the concept of training and how it will benefit the game. Then, again, it might not.

I did GCSE/A-Level PE, it's difficult in some aspects, but it sets you on your way. It covers everything from the body and anatomy, to how muscles work, different types of training, the effects of diet etc. as well as the psychology of the game and how players think. I would imagine that BTEC Sport is probably similar as well.

If you feel that's the path you want to take, then there's no harm in giving it a go. If you realise it's not for you, you can always stop doing it. That's the benefit of higher education.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:53 am

You could ask for work experience at Coleraine? Smile
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:53 am

Mourinho didn't play football either, I think.
    Mickybhoy1888
    Mickybhoy1888

Post by Mickybhoy1888 Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 am

I am currently head coach at Celtic
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 am

luke. wrote:Mourinho didn't play football either, I think.

He did. Just not at a high level.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:56 am

Mickybhoy1888 wrote:I am currently head coach at Celtic

Please don't waste his time. He already asked nicely. Rolling Eyes
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 am

Jelavic18|RFC wrote:You could ask for work experience at Coleraine? Smile

My Dad actually is friends with some at Coleraine who is currently on the board of directors. I don't know if he could arrange anything. I would love to go up there even just to witness a training session, but i don't know if Work Experience would be an option as Coleraine only operate as a part-time club so they players only train 2-3 times a week.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 am

Mr. Hassard wrote:

My Dad actually is friends with some at Coleraine who is currently on the board of directors. I don't know if he could arrange anything. I would love to go up there even just to witness a training session, but i don't know if Work Experience would be an option as Coleraine only operate as a part-time club so they players only train 2-3 times a week.

No harm in trying. Won't cost them anything to come down and watch a few sessions. Although, they might be a little weird about having someone come down and watch them train. Might think you're a spy.. eek
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:03 am

Dan wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

No harm in trying. Won't cost them anything to come down and watch a few sessions. Although, they might be a little weird about having someone come down and watch them train. Might think you're a spy.. eek

An MI5 Secret Agent Spy? I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... 33592
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 am

Dan wrote:It was something I looked into before I took the course I'm on now. Would've loved to do it and am going to get my coaching badges at some point in the future.

I don't think it matters too much if you haven't played in the long-term, but while you are learning and getting your badges or whatever, it might be a little difficult to grasp the concept of training and how it will benefit the game. Then, again, it might not.

I did GCSE/A-Level PE, it's difficult in some aspects, but it sets you on your way. It covers everything from the body and anatomy, to how muscles work, different types of training, the effects of diet etc. as well as the psychology of the game and how players think. I would imagine that BTEC Sport is probably similar as well.

If you feel that's the path you want to take, then there's no harm in giving it a go. If you realise it's not for you, you can always stop doing it. That's the benefit of higher education.

What course are you doing now, if you don't mind me asking?

That's what i was thinking, but it's not as if i have never been part of a team before. I was a member of a local youth team a few years ago, for a short period of time. So i do have some ideas of how training works and how it benefits the team. I unfortunately did not do GCSE PE. I did apply to do it, but my teacher said i shouldn't as i wasn't a part of any sports clubs at that time. I don't think that affects my chance of getting in the BTEC course though.

Dan wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

If i do decide this is what i want to do, i could always get my Dad to ask. If it fails then there's nothing you can do. Coming to think of it, a friend's Dad i know is actually a youth coach at a local team. Maybe he could help me out in some capacity?
    Hernandez_14
    Hernandez_14

Formerly known as : Braad
    Supports : Manchester United

Post by Hernandez_14 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 am

Go for it mate!
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:11 am

Mr. Hassard wrote:
    Dan wrote:It was something I looked into before I took the course I'm on now. Would've loved to do it and am going to get my coaching badges at some point in the future.

What course are you doing now, if you don't mind me asking?

That's what i was thinking, but it's not as if i have never been part of a team before. I was a member of a local youth team a few years ago, for a short period of time. So i do have some ideas of how training works and how it benefits the team. I unfortunately did not do GCSE PE. I did apply to do it, but my teacher said i shouldn't as i wasn't a part of any sports clubs at that time. I don't think that affects my chance of getting in the BTEC course though.

Primary Teaching mate.

As for not doing GCSE, it shouldn't prevent you from doing it. There were people in our A-Level class that hadn't done it at GCSE and we just covered it at the start of the year. You should be fine. From what I remember, they all seemed to get decent enough grades for their ability.

Dan wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

If i do decide this is what i want to do, i could always get my Dad to ask. If it fails then there's nothing you can do. Coming to think of it, a friend's Dad i know is actually a youth coach at a local team. Maybe he could help me out in some capacity?

That should help. Even a local team, even a local youth team. Just see if you can find out a local side and see if you can watch their training session. The more experience you get, the more you'll know if you want to do it in the future, and the better it will look when applying for a job.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:15 am

I wouldn't take the BTEC if I was you, at my college it was full of all the people who liked football but were too dumb. My brother does it but he's the only one who is getting top marks/not failing miserably.

You can, I guess..it's not hard to pass and can lead to better things but you can take your A Levels and still become a sports coach. Subjects like sciences would help.

I think whilst doing your A Levels you can still do Sports Leadership awards? I did level 1 in High School...pretty sure you can do level 2 etc at college.

Last edited by Luxz0rz on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 am

I'd recommend taking another course along with this BTEC Sports course unless you aren't bothered about which uni you want to go to and know you will get in with this qualification. Most uni's don't particularly like BTEC's and also may ask for some other kind of qualification alongside it. Would you be able to do a BTEC Sports course along with A-Level's such as PE?

Also, just ask for work experience at a local team or even at your school. In year 10 and 11 I spent two years coaching the year 7 (and then 8 too) football team as part of my Duke of Edinburgh volunteering. It teaches you a lot about the game.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 am

Dan wrote:Primary Teaching mate.

As for not doing GCSE, it shouldn't prevent you from doing it. There were people in our A-Level class that hadn't done it at GCSE and we just covered it at the start of the year. You should be fine. From what I remember, they all seemed to get decent enough grades for their ability.

That's what the course teacher told me when i attended the open day at my local college. He even said that you didn't have to be a part of any sports clubs/teams, just a good interest in sport is all you need. I certainly have a good interest in sports across the board, not just football. But i would defiantly take up something, even just going to the Gym a few times a week, to improve my fitness if nothing more.

Dan wrote:That should help. Even a local team, even a local youth team. Just see if you can find out a local side and see if you can watch their training session. The more experience you get, the more you'll know if you want to do it in the future, and the better it will look when applying for a job.

I will try that. Even if i could help him out, something as small as laying out cones and carrying water bottles, would mean i would gain experience and be able to witness training sessions in action.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 am

Not really got much advice on it, but good luck.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:26 am

I do BTEC level 3 sport and its best thing education wise that has happened to me.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:31 am

Luxz0rz wrote:I wouldn't take the BTEC if I was you, at my college it was full of all the people who liked football but were too dumb.

You can, I guess..it's not hard to pass and can lead to better things but you can take your A Levels and still become a sports coach. Subjects like sciences would help.

I think whilst doing your A Levels you can still do Sports Leadership awards? I did level 1 in High School...pretty sure you can do level 2 etc at college.

I'm not too worried about the intelligence of the other students, although some people i know but don't really like could also be taking the same BTEC course, but that's another problem altogether.

You can do a Sports Diploma alongside two other A-levels, which is another option i will consider. But I'll have to look into what that Diploma can lead onto.

Ben wrote:I'd recommend taking another course along with this BTEC Sports course unless you aren't bothered about which uni you want to go to and know you will get in with this qualification. Most uni's don't particularly like BTEC's and also may ask for some other kind of qualification alongside it. Would you be able to do a BTEC Sports course along with A-Level's such as PE?

Also, just ask for work experience at a local team or even at your school. In year 10 and 11 I spent two years coaching the year 7 (and then 8 too) football team as part of my Duke of Edinburgh volunteering. It teaches you a lot about the game.

Could the completion of the BTEC course and higher education course which the BTEC leads into take me to University? I never really thought that it could lead onto Uni. Like i said above i would be able to do a Sport's Diploma alongside my A-levels, but not the full BTEC.
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:32 am

If you go to do work experience at Coleraine, make sure none of their players owns any kind of firearm

Geddit?
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 am

EdinsonCavani wrote:I do BTEC level 3 sport and its best thing education wise that has happened to me.

That is the exact same course i am considering applying for. Why though do you consider it as the best thing, education wise, that has ever happened to you?
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 am

Mr. Hassard wrote:
    Luxz0rz wrote:I wouldn't take the BTEC if I was you, at my college it was full of all the people who liked football but were too dumb.

I'm not too worried about the intelligence of the other students, although some people i know but don't really like could also be taking the same BTEC course, but that's another problem altogether.

You can do a Sports Diploma alongside two other A-levels, which is another option i will consider. But I'll have to look into what that Diploma can lead onto.

Ben wrote:I'd recommend taking another course along with this BTEC Sports course unless you aren't bothered about which uni you want to go to and know you will get in with this qualification. Most uni's don't particularly like BTEC's and also may ask for some other kind of qualification alongside it. Would you be able to do a BTEC Sports course along with A-Level's such as PE?

Could the completion of the BTEC course and higher education course which the BTEC leads into take me to University? I never really thought that it could lead onto Uni. Like i said above i would be able to do a Sport's Diploma alongside my A-levels, but not the full BTEC.

Oh sorry, I assumed by higher education you meant University.
    Mr. Hassard
    Mr. Hassard

Post by Mr. Hassard Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 am

Ben wrote:
    Mr. Hassard wrote:

Oh sorry, I assumed by higher education you meant University.

Oh my apologies, i should have made that clearer. I can also do the higher education course at my local College upon completion of the level 3 BTEC.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 am

Mr. Hassard wrote:
    EdinsonCavani wrote:I do BTEC level 3 sport and its best thing education wise that has happened to me.

That is the exact same course i am considering applying for. Why though do you consider it as the best thing, education wise, that has ever happened to you?
    Its much more interesting and its easy to take in the way the course is split up into units, its easy to work with people, 2 - 3 days a week you have to go in, a lot of the assignments are verbal so it prepares you more for your future job. You wont realise how interesting it is until you go on the course, you learn how to train people alot of time is spent in the gym as there is a lot of testing you have to do such as Body fat testing, 1 rep max, blood pressure. I actually enjoy waking up and going in the banter is jokes i could go on lol.. 100% coursework
    Im on course for a distinction Very Happy
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 am

Mr. Hassard wrote:I'm not too worried about the intelligence of the other students, although some people i know but don't really like could also be taking the same BTEC course, but that's another problem altogether.

Thought I saw that you wanted to go Uni, and my point was that the reputation of the course doesn't do you any favours. Does it even work out as equivalent to 3 A Levels? I'd definitely do the two A Levels as they're always good to have......and might make it easier to get the job you want/ give you a broader variety of jobs e.g. sports science, physio etc.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:49 am

Do what you want man....I might go to Holland and join a team get scouted but some random team and join Arsenal further in my career...... I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... 473577

I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... 279869

I am seriously considering pursuing a career in coaching... 58503

Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:23 pm